Orlando is one of the country's top vacation destinations and draws almost 60 million visitors every year. This means traffic congestion, crowded social spaces, and many accident and injury opportunities. If someone else was negligent and injured you, an Orlando personal injury lawyer from Dolman Law Group is available to provide the support, guidance, and resources you need to protect your rights and seek the financial compensation you deserve.
After an Orlando accident that leads to injury, Florida law permits personal injury victims to file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the individual or entity responsible for their accident if they can prove the other party's negligence. Whether you were in a car accident because the other driver was distracted by their children in the back seat or you slipped at an amusement park that failed to maintain its grounds, you have the right to compensation.
Depending on how severe your injury is, you may miss work or spend an extensive amount of time in the hospital. This means additional financial stress during a time when you should be recuperating in peace. Let us help you recover after a personal injury in Orlando, beginning with a complimentary case review.
- Why Should You Partner With Our Orlando Personal Injury Lawyers?
- How Can an Orlando Personal Injury Attorney at Dolman Law Group Help You After an Accident?
- What Types of Cases Do Our Orlando Personal Injury Lawyers Handle?
- Our Orlando Office Location
- Schedule A Free Consultation
- Orlando Accident Statistics
- What Types of Injuries Can an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer in Orlando Help With?
- What Should I Do After an Accident in Orlando?
- How Do I Know If I Have a Personal Injury Case in Orlando?
- What Damages Can an Orlando Personal Injury Attorney Help You Recover?
- How Long Do I Have to File an Injury Claim in Orlando?
- How Much Does an Orlando Personal Injury Attorney Cost?
- How Long Will My Orlando Personal Injury Case Take to Resolve?
- Can I Still Recover Damages If I'm Partially Responsible for My Injuries in Orlando?
- Schedule A Free Consultation
- What's the Process for Obtaining Compensation from an Orlando Personal Injury Claim?
- What Client Services Can You Expect From Your Dolman Law Group Orlando Personal Injury Attorney?
- You Do Not Have to Face Your Recovery Alone
- Contact an Orlando Personal Injury Lawyer at Dolman Law Group Today
- Client Testimonials
Why Should You Partner With Our Orlando Personal Injury Lawyers?
For decades, Dolman Law Group has represented Florida residents and visitors who have sustained serious injuries through no fault of their own. In the Orlando area, many personal injuries occur during visits to theme parks and attractions. Central Florida also sees its unfortunate share of car, truck, and motorcycle accidents, workplace injuries, and nursing home abuse.
Dolman Law Group only practices injury law. Unlike some personal injury attorneys, we do not split our time between representing plaintiffs (injured people) and defendants (people who have been sued because they may have caused someone else’s injuries).
Our sole focus is on helping people who have suffered an unexpected injury or loss because we think injured people deserve the best legal representation available without having to worry if their personal injury lawyer has a conflict of interest.
Meet Some of Our Team Members
Stanley Gipe is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer. This designation means Stan is considered an expert in trial practice. Very few Florida trial lawyers achieve this distinguished recognition.
Personal injury attorney and founding partner Matthew Dolman is a lifetime member of both the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum for obtaining results in excess of $1 million and $2 million, respectively. Matthew has also been selected by National Trial Lawyers as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer.
Compensation We’ve Recovered for Past Clients
Our Orlando personal injury attorneys have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of injured clients over the years. Some of our more notable personal injury cases include:
- A $3.2 million recovery for a client whose injuries resulted from a semi-truck accident
- A $1 million settlement in a ride-sharing accident
- A $450,000 settlement on behalf of a client who slipped and fell in a restaurant parking lot
Of course, there is no guarantee of recovery in any particular personal injury matter. In fact, past results are not indicative of future success. Every case is different, but we can guarantee that if we represent you, we will work our hardest to try to secure the maximum compensation you deserve.
Every auto insurance company maintains a detailed database of Orlando personal injury lawyers and law firms they routinely deal with. The insurance company is well aware of which injury lawyers have earned a reputation for aggressively litigating their cases and taking such to a jury trial when it is necessary. In contrast, they are intimately aware of the firms that leave money on the table and settle claims in volume.
How Can an Orlando Personal Injury Attorney at Dolman Law Group Help You After an Accident?
At our firm, we focus on quality, not volume. We strive to provide personal attention and exceptional client service so our clients do not feel like just a case number at this firm. Some of the ways we can help you after a personal injury accident in Orlando include:
- Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA (Dolman Law Group) will help you find a physician in your area to treat you for your specific problems.
- Our award-winning and top-rated Orlando personal injury law firm will not leave you holding the bag on medical bills. Our personal injury attorneys will work hard to ensure all bills are paid as a result of the settlement.
- You will receive the cell phone number of both your handling personal injury attorney and the Managing Partner. It is our goal to provide personal attention and the best client service possible. You will not have to worry about who is in charge of your case. Our law office is NOT a volume shop or a settlement mill. We distinguish our law firm from the personal injury lawyers you find advertising all day long on television. We focus on quality legal services, not quantity.
- Each Orlando injury attorney at Dolman Law Group is experienced in handling complex personal injury cases against practically every conceivable insurance company. We are your local injury lawyers with the experience and financial resources to handle serious and even catastrophic injury claims while keeping the firm small enough to provide personal attention. We have the financial resources to go toe to toe with even the biggest insurance company. Whether you were injured in an auto accident, a serious fall, or suffered another physical injury due to the negligence exhibited by an individual or corporation; we will fight for justice for you.
- We represent ONLY plaintiffs in personal injury cases and civil actions. This is not a law firm that handles diverse areas of law such as estate planning, criminal law, or family law. Because Dolman Law Group is a dedicated personal injury law firm, we can focus our efforts on helping each injury victim recover the financial justice they deserve. For more details, be sure to read a few of our client stories.
The injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group understand what you’re going through and want to help. With offices along both Florida coasts, you can easily reach a skilled and knowledgeable Orlando personal injury lawyer to discuss your case for a free consultation anytime online or by calling (407) 759-4565.
What Types of Cases Do Our Orlando Personal Injury Lawyers Handle?
Dolman Law Group lawyers represent clients injured in a wide variety of incidents in Orlando and throughout Florida, including:
- Orlando Car Accidents
- Orlando Truck Accidents
- Orlando Motorcycle Accidents
- Orlando Taxi Accidents
- Orlando Uber Accidents
- Orlando Bus Accidents
- Orlando Drunk Driving Accidents
- Orlando Slip and Fall Accidents
- Orlando Dog Bites
- Orlando Medical Malpractice
- Orlando Nursing Home Negligence
- Orlando Bicycle Accidents
- Orlando Pedestrian Accidents
- Orlando Wrongful Death
- Orlando Workers’ Compensation
- Orlando Construction Accidents
- Orlando Train Accidents
We encourage anyone hurt under circumstances that they believe weren’t their fault to meet with us, no matter how the injury happened. Some of the most common circumstances that bring Orlando-area clients to us include:
Orlando Theme Park and Premises Liability Accidents (a.k.a. “Slip and Fall” Accidents)
The name “slip and fall” doesn’t really capture all of the ways a person can get hurt at a theme park or other tourist attraction in the Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford area. Theme parks and attractions have an obligation under Florida law to provide a safe environment for their visitors and paying customers. When someone gets hurt on a ride, at a restaurant, or even just walking around, the park business, property owner, or attraction operator may be legally liable to that person for the damages suffered.
Car accidents are so common that people sometimes treat them as if they’re no big deal—we disagree. We represent car accident victims in every conceivable motor vehicle accident scenario, from single-vehicle rollovers to multi-car pile-ups. We know that motor vehicle accidents can cause devastating injuries, and we fight for car accident victims’ rights to recover every penny in damages they deserve.
Rideshare accidents are similar to “ordinary” auto accidents, with the added complication that a rideshare driver or taxi driver and ridesharing company also figure into the mix of parties with potential legal liability.
Because ridesharing through companies like Lyft and Uber is a relatively recent phenomenon in Orlando and across Florida, the law governing it continues to evolve. We stay on top of the latest legal developments to make sure our clients who were injured in this type of accident have the best chance at recovering compensation for their injuries.
Truck Accidents in Orlando
As anyone who has driven the straight, flat roads of Central Florida alongside speeding trucks knows, truck accidents pose a real and constant hazard to Orlando-area motorists. The legal complications in truck accidents can sometimes be nearly as messy as the damage these truck accidents cause. We help clients pick their way through the devastation of a truck accident to find the parties with legal liability.
Motorcycle Accidents in Orlando
One of the most significant hazards for motorcyclists are cars turning directly into their paths. Car drivers will often state afterward that they never saw the motorcyclist coming, which might actually be true.
However, that doesn’t make these motorcycle accidents any less the car driver’s fault. At Dolman Law Group, we fight to make sure motorcyclists get the respect and fair treatment they have every right to demand when they are involved in a motorcycle accident case.
Orlando-area attractions create significant pedestrian traffic in parking lots and street crossings. You might think that crowds of people would prompt drivers to take better care, but that isn’t necessarily the case. Driver distraction is consistently on the rise, largely due to cell phone use behind the wheel, putting pedestrians at risk.
Even at low speeds, a pedestrian-vehicle accident can cause serious trauma. We fight on behalf of pedestrians so that they can recover the money they need to heal from serious injuries they suffered in a collision.
Lake Kissimmee and other Central Florida lakes attract boaters by the thousands. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take much to turn a carefree day on the water into a tragedy. At Dolman Law Group, we help those injured in boating accidents navigate the sometimes complicated rules that govern safe waterway navigation.
Orlando Construction Site Accidents
It seems like there’s always a building going up in and around the Orlando area. Risks abound on construction sites, which is why employers have an obligation to provide safety training and equipment to workers who put their lives on the line when working high above the ground or using heavy equipment.
When safety protocols break down, construction site accidents can occur. Dolman Law Group is here to help workers with the workers’ compensation process and identify others who may owe them compensation for their injuries.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Osceola County and the surrounding areas are home to hundreds of nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Most of those take good care of their residents, but sometimes the staff of nursing facilities abuse and neglect their residents, which can cause serious physical, emotional, and financial injuries. At Dolman Law Group, we fight for the rights of vulnerable, elderly nursing facility residents.
Medical Malpractice Cases in Orlando
Although Orlando has exceptional healthcare providers, hospitals, and clinics, medical mistakes can happen. A condition can be misdiagnosed, or something can go wrong during surgery. If a doctor, pharmacist, or other care provider made a mistake that led to a medical malpractice injury, or if you are struggling with the wrongful death of a family member as a result of medical negligence, trust the Orlando personal injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group to help you recover financial compensation to cover your losses.
These are just some of the types of matters we handle. You can visit our legal services page for more detailed information about the wide range of legal experience our team offers at Dolman Law Group.
Our Orlando Office Location
Dolman Law Group has a law office located at 1701 Park Center Drive, Suite #240-G, Orlando, FL 32835.
Drop by our Orlando office to speak with an attorney at no cost. You can also call us at (407) 759-4565 to schedule an appointment. If you cannot make it to our law office, we will gladly visit you in your home or hospital room, or we can speak with you through a virtual teleconference.
Orlando Accident Statistics
Orlando serves as the county seat of Orange County, Florida, and the city is home to more than 300,000 residents, with more than 2.5 million people living in the greater Orlando Metro. What's more, Orlando is a major tourist destination, and millions of people from all over the world flock to the area to take in the many theme parks and other attractions.
With so many people and so much traffic, Orlando sees a lot of vehicle accidents every year, some of which result in serious injuries or death. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV)-- which maintains reports of traffic accidents that caused injuries or fatalities throughout Florida--Orange County reported the following accident statistics for the Orlando area in 2022:
- 26,264 total traffic accidents, resulting in 20,706 and 208 fatalities
- 444 total bicycle crashes, resulting in 13 fatalities
- 664 total pedestrian accidents, resulting in 57 fatalities
- 457 total motorcycle accidents, resulting in 32 fatalities
- 6,545 total hit and run accidents, resulting in 2,062 injuries and 18 fatalities
What Types of Injuries Can an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer in Orlando Help With?
The wide range of personal injury cases we handle at Dolman Law Group has given our attorneys a wealth of experience in helping clients confront significant injury-related challenges. We find that our familiarity with diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis for serious injuries gives our clients comfort in knowing their lawyer has an understanding of the difficulties they face on a day-to-day basis.
Our opponents also know that we understand the medical and financial ramifications of an injury almost as well as any doctor or financial advisor, which gives us a leg-up in settlement negotiations and at trial. Here are some of the more common injuries we help our clients with:
We pray the worst case scenario—a tragic death because of someone else’s negligence or wrongful actions—never affects you or your family. If it has, our compassionate, hard-working wrongful death team is ready to help you recover the damages due to your family under Florida Statutes § 768.21. Money will not bring your loved one back, but it can help you in recovering from your loss.
Doctors and scientists have only begun to scratch the surface of figuring out how the brain works and how it heals after a traumatic injury. One thing they do know: a blow to the head can cause serious, lasting impairments and disabilities, from difficulty thinking and remembering to challenges with walking and talking.
At Dolman Law Group, our lawyers have the experience and resources to explain to insurance companies and juries why our clients who are confronting brain injuries need maximum financial support.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries often result from violent collisions and falls. At their worst, they cause temporary or permanent paralysis, which changes a victim’s life forever.
Our lawyers understand the complicated medical and financial challenges associated with spinal cord injuries and have experience fighting for compensation to pay for the services, home modifications, and other costs of adapting to these injuries.
Burns, whether from fire, chemicals, or electricity, often cause intense suffering. They can take years to heal, require multiple painful surgeries, and lead to a wide range of secondary health complications.
At Dolman Law Group, clients suffering from the effects of severe burns receive our utmost compassion, respect, and commitment to working as hard as possible to get them the resources they need to make a recovery.
Orthopedic and Soft Tissue Injuries
Even injuries that do not threaten someone’s life can still change their life for the worse. Falls and accidents can cause complex fractures, tears, and strains that take a long time to heal and lead to chronic pain.
What Should I Do After an Accident in Orlando?
If you've been involved in an accident in Orlando, there are several important steps you should take to ensure your safety, protect your rights, and gather necessary information for any potential claims. Here's what you should do after an accident:
- Check for Injuries: First and foremost, check yourself and others involved for injuries. If anyone is injured, call 911 for medical assistance immediately.
- Move to Safety: If possible and if it's safe to do so, move yourself and your vehicle to the side of the road or to a safer location to prevent further accidents or injuries.
- Call the Police: Even for minor accidents, it's a good idea to call the police. They can create an official report that may be useful for insurance claims or legal proceedings. Florida law requires you to report accidents involving injuries or death or property damage over $500.
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact, insurance, and vehicle information with the other parties involved in the accident. This includes names, phone numbers, addresses, insurance policy details, and license plate numbers.
- Gather Evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, injuries, road conditions, traffic signs, and anything else relevant to the accident. This visual evidence can be valuable later.
- Collect Witness Information: If there were any witnesses to the accident, gather their names and contact information. Their statements may be helpful in determining fault.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible. Provide them with accurate and honest information about the accident.
- Do Not Admit Fault: Avoid making statements that could be interpreted as admitting fault. Stick to the facts and let the investigation determine liability.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don't feel seriously injured, it's advisable to seek medical attention. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent, and a medical record can be valuable for insurance claims.
- Follow Medical Advice: If you've been injured, follow your doctor's advice for treatment and recovery. This will help establish the extent of your injuries and the associated damages.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep copies of all documentation related to the accident, including police reports, medical records, bills, and correspondence with insurance companies.
- Document Your Experience: Keep a journal or notes detailing your injuries, pain levels, and how the accident has impacted your daily life. This information can be useful for your case.
Consult an Attorney
Your top priority after receiving treatment for your accident injuries is to contact an experienced Orlando personal injury attorney as soon as possible after your accident. They can guide you through the legal process, inform you of the steps you need to take, help protect your rights, and advise you on the best course of action to pursue compensation.
How Do I Know If I Have a Personal Injury Case in Orlando?
After an Orlando accident someone else caused that injured you or a loved one, you likely have a lot of questions about whether you can receive compensation and how to go about it. Determining whether you have a valid personal injury case involves considering several factors, and an attorney can review your claim and determine whether you qualify. That said, here are some factors to consider as to whether you may have a valid Orlando personal injury claim:
Did you suffer injury or harm? You must have suffered an injury or harm to have an injury claim. This could be physical, emotional, or financial. If you haven't suffered any damages, there might not be grounds for a personal injury case.
If you can show you suffered injuries through medical records and other documentation, the next factors to consider are whether the other party is liable for your injuries. To determine that, your lawyer will need to show:
- Duty of Care: The responsible party must have owed you a duty of care. For example, drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles safely, and property owners have a duty to maintain their premises in a reasonably safe condition.
- Breach of Duty: You need to establish that the responsible party breached their duty of care. This could be through negligence, recklessness, or intentional actions that led to your injury.
- Causation: You must prove that the breach of duty directly caused your injury. In other words, if not for the actions or negligence of the responsible party, you wouldn't have been injured.
- Damages: As a result of the injury, you must have incurred actual damages. These could include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and more.
If your attorney determines you have a valid Orlando personal injury claim, they can assist with gathering the necessary evidence and documentation to support it and establish the other party's liability. It's important to note that personal injury cases can be complex, and each case is unique. Consult with an experienced Orlando personal injury attorney from Dolman Law Group to discuss the specifics of your situation. We can provide tailored advice based on our knowledge of Florida's personal injury and tort laws and how they apply to your case.
What Damages Can an Orlando Personal Injury Attorney Help You Recover?
In serious injury cases, there are two major types of monetary damages available: economic and non-economic. Financial losses that can be documented with records, bills, or statements are considered economic damages. These include losses such as medical expenses, lost wages, lost income potential, and personal property repair or replacement.
Personal losses, or non-economic damages, cannot be proven by a document, but they still have value. These losses include mental and emotional distress, loss of relationships or the ability to enjoy life experiences, and other losses commonly referred to as pain and suffering.
We fight to make sure insurance companies and juries take these losses seriously and help our clients recover the compensation they need to manage that pain effectively and live the best life possible.
How Much Is Your Case Worth?
We get this question all the time at Dolman Law Group, but the value of your Orlando personal injury case depends on numerous factors, including:
- Nature and Severity of Injuries: The extent and severity of your injuries play a significant role in determining the value of your case. More severe injuries that result in long-term or permanent disabilities generally lead to higher compensation.
- Medical Expenses: The total cost of medical treatment, including hospital bills, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, and ongoing medical care, can contribute to the value of your case.
- Lost Wages and Earning Capacity: If your injuries have caused you to miss work or have affected your ability to earn income in the future, these financial losses can be factored into your case's value.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and reduced quality of life due to your injuries can also contribute to the value of your case. Calculating pain and suffering can be complex and often varies by jurisdiction.
- Property Damage: If the accident caused damage to your property, such as your vehicle, the cost of repairs or replacement can be part of your compensation.
- Liability: The extent to which the other party is clearly liable for your injuries can impact the value of your case. Establishing clear liability can strengthen your position in negotiations.
- Comparative Negligence: If you are found partially responsible for the accident, your compensation may be reduced according to the percentage of your fault.
- Insurance Coverage: The insurance policies involved and their coverage limits can influence the potential compensation. Some policies might not provide sufficient coverage for your damages.
- Jurisdiction: Florida's personal injury laws and regulations can affect the types of damages you can claim and how they are calculated.
- Legal Representation: Having a skilled personal injury attorney can greatly impact the value of your case. Attorneys can negotiate more effectively and ensure all aspects of your damages are considered.
- Negotiation Skills: The negotiation skills of your attorney and the willingness of the responsible party's insurance company to settle can also impact the final compensation amount.
To get a clearer understanding of the potential value of your case, it's best to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney from Dolman Law Group. We can evaluate the specifics of your situation, assess the applicable laws, and provide you with an estimate based on our experience.
How Long Do I Have to File an Injury Claim in Orlando?
In Orlando, Florida, the time limit within which you must file a personal injury claim is determined by the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations sets a specific deadline for when a lawsuit must be filed after an incident causing injury or harm. If you fail to file your claim within this time frame, you may lose your right to seek compensation for your injuries.
As of March 2023, the statute of limitations for most personal injury claims in Florida, including Orlando, is two years. This means that you generally have two years from the date of the incident to file a lawsuit for your personal injury case. However, there can be exceptions and variations based on the specific circumstances of your case.
Different types of claims might have different deadlines. For example, claims against government entities typically have very short deadline, and many insurance companies have their own deadlines on when you must submit a claim with them--sometimes, this can be as little as 15 or 30 days.
Because legal time limits can change and specific circumstances can affect the deadlines, it's crucial to consult with a qualified personal injury attorney in Orlando to get accurate and up-to-date information about the statute of limitations that applies to your case. The Orlando personal injury attorneys at Dolman Law Group can inform you of the deadlines that apply to your case and ensure that you take timely action to protect your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve.
How Much Does an Orlando Personal Injury Attorney Cost?
The process of legal fees can be confusing, and it’s often a huge stressor for personal injury victims. If we decide to proceed with your claim, you’ll benefit from our contingency-fee billing structure.
Most personal injury victims in Orlando are billed in this manner to avoid adding to their financial burden. A contingency fee structure means that we pay for all costs in the case upfront, from investigation to litigation. After a settlement is reached or a court award is issued, we then take our fee as a percentage of this compensation. Your attorney will discuss all of this with you during our free initial consultation so you know what to expect before signing a contract.
How Long Will My Orlando Personal Injury Case Take to Resolve?
The time it takes to resolve a personal injury case in Orlando can vary widely depending on various factors. Every case is unique, and the timeline can be influenced by specific circumstances. Here are some factors that can affect the duration of your personal injury case:
- Severity of Injuries: The extent of your injuries can significantly impact the timeline. More severe injuries might require longer medical treatments, rehabilitation, and recovery time, which can extend the overall duration of the case.
- Medical Treatment: The length of time you require for medical treatment and recovery is a significant factor. It's often recommended to wait until you've reached maximum medical improvement (MMI) before settling your claim to accurately assess your damages.
- Investigation: Gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and investigating the accident or incident that caused your injury can take time. A thorough investigation is crucial for building a strong case.
- Negotiation: The negotiation process with insurance companies or the responsible party's representatives can vary in length. It depends on the complexity of the case, willingness to cooperate, and the extent of damages.
- Legal Process: If a settlement cannot be reached, your case might proceed to litigation. The court's schedule, discovery processes, and trial dates can extend the timeline.
- Case Complexity: Complex cases involving multiple parties, unclear liability, or intricate legal issues may take longer to resolve. Simpler cases with clear liability and straightforward damages calculations might resolve more quickly.
- Insurance Company Response: Insurance companies might take varying amounts of time to respond to claims, investigate, and make settlement offers.
- Settlement Discussions: The willingness of both parties to negotiate and come to a fair settlement can influence the timeline. If there are disagreements or disputes regarding liability or damages, the process can take longer.
- Trial: If your case goes to trial, the court's schedule, availability of judges, and the complexity of the trial itself can lead to a longer resolution time.
Due to these variables, it's challenging to provide a specific timeframe for resolving your Orlando personal injury case. Some cases might be settled in a matter of months, while others could take a year or more. Working closely with an experienced personal injury attorney in Orlando from Dolman Law Group can help you understand the potential timeline for your specific case and guide you through the legal process, ensuring that your rights are protected and you make informed decisions along the way.
Can I Still Recover Damages If I'm Partially Responsible for My Injuries in Orlando?
Yes, you can still potentially recover damages for your injuries in Orlando even if you are partially responsible for the accident or incident that caused your injuries. After the tort reform that occurred in March 2023, Florida now follows a "modified comparative negligence" system, which means that you may not obtain compensation for your injuries if you are found to be more than 50% responsible.
Here's how comparative negligence works in Florida:
- Apportionment of Fault: The court or insurance adjusters will assign a percentage of fault to each party involved in the accident, including you. This percentage represents your level of responsibility for the incident.
- Calculation of Damages: Your potential compensation will be reduced by the percentage of your own fault. For example, if you were found to be 20% at fault and your total damages were $100,000, you could recover 80% of the damages, or $80,000.
- Threshold for Recovery: As long as you are less than 50% at fault, you can still recover damages. However, if you are found to be 50% at fault for the accident, you may not be eligible to recover any compensation.
It's important to note that the concept of comparative negligence can be complex, and insurance companies and opposing parties might try to assign a higher percentage of fault to you in order to reduce their own liability. This is where having legal representation becomes crucial. An experienced personal injury attorney can advocate for your rights, gather evidence to support your claim, and ensure that your level of fault is accurately assessed.
If you believe you may be partially responsible for your injuries, it's recommended to consult with a qualified personal injury attorney in Orlando. The attorneys at Dolman Law Group can provide you with personalized legal advice based on your specific situation, guide you through the legal process, and help you pursue the maximum compensation available to you.
What's the Process for Obtaining Compensation from an Orlando Personal Injury Claim?
The process for obtaining compensation from an Orlando personal injury claim involves several steps, each of which is designed to build a strong case, negotiate with insurance companies, and if necessary, pursue legal action. Here's an overview of the typical process:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and well-being are the top priority. Seek medical attention immediately after the accident, even if your injuries seem minor. Medical records will be important evidence in your case.
- Gather Evidence: Collect evidence related to the accident and your injuries. This includes photographs of the accident scene, injuries, property damage, witness contact information, and any other relevant documentation.
- Consult an Attorney: Contact a personal injury attorney in Orlando. They will evaluate your case, explain your rights, and guide you through the legal process.
- Investigation: Your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation, reviewing evidence, speaking to witnesses, and assessing the extent of your damages.
- Demand Letter: Your attorney will draft a demand letter outlining your injuries, damages, and the compensation you're seeking. This letter will be sent to the responsible party's insurance company.
- Negotiation: The insurance company will respond with an offer. Your attorney will negotiate on your behalf to reach a fair settlement. Negotiations can go back and forth until an agreement is reached.
- Settlement: If an agreement is reached, you'll receive a settlement offer. Your attorney will review the terms to ensure they adequately cover your damages.
- Release and Waiver: If you accept the settlement, you'll sign a release and waiver stating that you won't pursue further legal action related to the incident.
- Litigation (If Necessary): If a fair settlement cannot be reached, your attorney may advise you to file a lawsuit. This initiates the formal legal process.
- Discovery: Both sides exchange information, evidence, and documents relevant to the case. Depositions, interrogatories, and requests for documents are common.
- Mediation: Before going to trial, parties might participate in mediation, where a neutral third party helps facilitate settlement discussions.
- Trial: If mediation is unsuccessful, your case will go to trial. Both sides present evidence, witnesses, and arguments to a judge and/or jury.
- Verdict: The judge or jury will decide whether the defendant is liable and, if so, how much compensation you're entitled to.
- Appeals (If Applicable): Either party may appeal the verdict if they believe there was a legal error during the trial.
- Collection: If you win the case, the responsible party's insurance company will pay the awarded compensation.
Keep in mind that the process can vary based on the specifics of your case and whether it settles before going to trial. An experienced personal injury attorney in Orlando from the Dolman Law Group will guide you through these steps, ensuring your rights are protected and that you have the best chance of obtaining fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
What Client Services Can You Expect From Your Dolman Law Group Orlando Personal Injury Attorney?
Orlando-area residents and visitors injured in circumstances that weren’t their fault sometimes wonder, “What can a lawyer do for me?” The answer is that Dolman Law Group lawyers serve a wide variety of functions aimed at supporting our injured clients in their day-to-day lives.
Your experienced personal injury lawyer at Dolman Law Group will handle many aspects of your injury case, but in general, we promise to:
Thoroughly Investigate Your Unique Situation
In every case we handle, our lawyers’ first job is to piece together how our client suffered their injuries and who may have a legal liability to them for damages. Sometimes, this is a straightforward task. Other times, we have to call in forensic experts to help us dig through the evidence. Either way, we aim to wrap our heads around the facts of a case to make sure we know it forward and backward.
Tenaciously Negotiate for Your Best Settlement
Once we have a solid understanding of the evidence and parties responsible for our client’s injuries, we typically enter into negotiations with those parties who have the resources or insurance coverage to pay damages to our client. Our decades of experience and our track record as skilled trial lawyers give our clients an edge in these negotiations, which is why the vast majority of the successful matters we handle conclude in a settlement.
Aggressively Litigate Your Claim to a Final Verdict
In some cases, however, the other side refuses to make our client a fair and reasonable settlement offer. If that happens to you, we’re prepared to take your case to court to explain to a judge and jury why you deserve maximum compensation.
You Do Not Have to Face Your Recovery Alone
It’s important to be careful with who you select to guide you on your legal journey, and it's a risk to try to file on your own. Errors and omissions alone can destroy your case, and the process is full of bureaucracy that does not work in your favor.
Even if you’re confident that you have a strong case, we urge you to seek legal advice right away with a free consultation. You deserve quality legal representation for your personal injury case—we will provide solid advice about what your next steps should be. If you decide to work with a personal injury attorney at Dolman Law Group, we’ll do a careful and thorough review of your case and develop a strong foundation for your claim or lawsuit.
Be aware that this can take time, and the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Orlando is only two years. Depending on your case, it’s best to meet with a lawyer as soon as possible to avoid missing any deadlines.
Contact an Orlando Personal Injury Lawyer at Dolman Law Group Today
If an unexpected injury or tragic loss in the Orlando area has disrupted your life, livelihood, or relationships, contact Dolman Law Group through our online contact form or at (407) 759-4565 for a free consultation today. We have offices nearby in Orlando and all across the Sunshine State, and a consultation with a member of our legal team is always free and confidential. Let us take care of the details while you focus on your recovery.
1701 Park Center Drive, Suite #240-G
Orlando, FL 32835
Phone: (407) 759-4565
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “AMAZING and understanding attorneys! Did great on my case and I highly recommend Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for anyone that has been injured in an accident!" - Koralis R.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ "Very Good Experience. I was with another attorney who did not return my phone calls, messages, or help me with any questions and had no advice as far as who to go to for the medical attention I needed. I found Matt and got everything I needed, my questions answered, and he was very fast , professional & helpful." - Arianna
Read more reviews on Google!
Orlando Emergency Rooms
Be sure to get immediate medical attention from any of the following emergency rooms or urgent care centers in Orlando for your serious personal injuries:
- Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical Center Emergency Room: 29 W Sturtevant St, Orlando, FL 32806
- AdventHealth Orlando Emergency Room: 601 E Rollins St, Orlando, FL 32803
- Orlando Health Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children Emergency Room: 92 W Miller St, Orlando, FL 32806
- Orlando Health Emergency Room - Randal Park: 10155 Dowden Rd, Orlando, FL 32832
- HCA Florida Baldwin Park Emergency: 2361 N Semoran Blvd, Orlando, FL 32807
- AdventHealth East Orlando Emergency Room: 7727 Lake Underhill Rd, Orlando, FL 32822
- AdventHealth Lake Nona ER: 10080 Lake Nona Blvd, Orlando, FL 32827
- HCA Florida Millenia Emergency: 4056 Millenia Blvd, Orlando, FL 32839
- GuideWell Emergency Doctors: 1706 N Semoran Blvd #100, Orlando, FL 32807
*Disclaimer – Dolman Law Group does not endorse these medical centers, nor do we profit from having them listed on our website.
- Orange County Courthouse: 425 N Orange Ave, Orlando, FL 32801
- Orange County Court Magistrate: 2000 E Michigan St, Orlando, FL 32806
- Orange County Circuit Judge: 3855 S John Young Pkwy, Orlando, FL 32839
- U.S. Middle District Court: 401 W Central Blvd, Orlando, FL 32801
- George C. Young Federal Building and Courthouse: 400 W Washington St, Orlando, FL 32801
Neighborhoods We Serve in Orlando
Central Business District 32801, Lake Nona Region 32827, Millenia 32839, Milk District 32803, Metro West 32835, College Park 32804, Baldwin Park 32814, Parramore 32801, 32805, Carver Shores 32811, Lake Underhill 32803, Lake Fairview 32804, Lake Eola Heights 32801, 32803, Wadeview Park 32806, Lake Nona Medical City 32827, Lake Nona Medical City 32827, Washington Shores 32805, Colonial Town Center 32803, Orwin Manor 32803, 32789, South Eola 32801, Engelwood Park 32807, Park Lake/Highland 32803, Northlake Park at Lake Nona 32827, Lake Dot 32801 · 32814 · 32812 · 32792, Lake Mann Estates 32805, 32835