Did you suffer an injury in a car accident on I-95?
Were you injured in a slip and fall accident at the Walmart Supercenter in Englewood?
Perhaps you suffered a dog bite injury at Metropolitan Park? Or you are a pedestrian hit by car in St. Pete?
No matter where your accident occurred, you have rights. An experienced Jacksonville personal injury attorney can help protect those rights and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve after a serious accident.
Jacksonville is Florida’s most populous city, and the largest city by land area in the entire contiguous United States. Due to its large size, accidents are bound to happen. When an avoidable accident causes unnecessary injuries to victims, they may qualify to pursue compensation from the responsible parties.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to the actions (or inaction) of another person or organization, you may have certain rights under the law to pursue recovery for the losses you have suffered. As you focus on healing from your injuries, you must also look toward the future and consider how the physical, financial, and mental impacts of your injury will affect you and your family.
A Jacksonville personal injury lawyer can guide you through the process of filing a personal injury claim and lawsuit, if necessary, to fight for maximum compensation on your behalf given your specific circumstances. Contact the legal team at Dolman Law Group today.
Why Choose Our Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyers?
Our team of Jacksonville personal injury lawyers works hard to fight for the legal interests of our clients. We understand the difficulties and challenges you face as a victim of a personal injury and take great pride in serving as the advocate for your rights throughout a personal injury claim or lawsuit in Jacksonville and the surrounding areas.
We have successfully fought for compensation on behalf of our clients in many different cases, including:
- A $3.2 million settlement for the victim of a brain injury in a semi-truck collision
- A $1.4 million settlement for the victim of severe injuries in a motorcycle collision
- A wrongful death settlement of $1 million for the family of a father killed in a rideshare accident
- A $300,000 settlement for a victim of a slip and fall accident in a restaurant parking lot
While past success never guarantees future results, you can rest a little easier knowing you have a team of experienced Jacksonville personal injury lawyers in your corner.
At Dolman Law Group, our award-winning attorneys understand how difficult and uncertain life can feel after a serious injury accident. Our firm’s goal is to provide our clients with clear, diligent legal advice and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. Our top-rated lawyers will meet with you one-on-one in a FREE initial consultation to discuss your accident and the injuries you suffered. We will then help you examine your legal rights so you can choose the one that is best for you and your future.
We have years of experience representing clients in personal injury matters, and we understand how to navigate the sometimes-complicated process of pursuing a case in Jacksonville. Our office is conveniently located at 12574 Flagler Center Blvd. Suite 101. We are just a few blocks from Philips Hwy and Old Augustine Road. Our lawyers are local Jacksonville attorneys who know the streets, insurance companies, courts, and judges that will be a part of your case. Don’t put your trust in just any law firm. You need a law firm that is here and ready to fight for you at a moment’s notice.
The skilled attorneys at Dolman Law Group can help you understand your rights and options. Contact us today for a free, confidential case evaluation.
How Much Is My Jacksonville Personal Injury Case Worth?
The amount of compensation that you may qualify for depends greatly on the severity of your injuries and the impact those injuries have had and will have on your life. The calculation of damages incurred is a tedious process, but must be done with an understanding of your injuries and the intricacies of personal injury law.
The initial estimate of damages is an important step in the process of filing a personal injury claim. It provides information that allows you, as well as all interested parties, to understand the losses you have suffered. This is a vital resource in settlement negotiations, and any errors or omissions in a calculation of damages can leave you without compensation for actual damages you have suffered. A personal injury lawyer can guide you through this process and has the experience and resources to ensure you fight for the maximum possible damages in your case.
Personal injury cases can include many different types of damages, such as:
- Medical costs and expenses now and in the future
- Income losses and impacts on your ability to earn an income now and in the future
- Pain and suffering you have suffered by the accident and injuries, including emotional distress
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Impacts on your quality of life or enjoyment of life
- Compensation related to the wrongful death of a loved one
- In exceptional circumstances, punitive damages
The unique facts of your personal injury case in Jacksonville determine its value.
How old was the claimant when the accident occurred? Will they face permanent disabilities as a result of the accident? How much were they making when they became injured, and how likely are they to return to the same earning capacity? How severe were the injuries? How much pain and suffering was associated not only with the injury, but the medical procedures involved in treating it, and the lingering effects of the injury that can last a lifetime? Not to mention one of the most important considerations of all: how much insurance does the at-fault party have?
Insurance pays personal injury settlements and awards. While you may file a lawsuit against an uninsured person and even obtain a judgment in your favor, most people cannot afford to pay for someone else’s medical expenses out of pocket. It is very difficult to collect your award in this situation.
All of these factors, and many more, go into determining the value of a claim.
An accident attorney from Dolman Law Group can:
- Determine all sources of liability and all insurance resources that can compensate you
- Establish a value for your case based on the impacts and expenses of your injury, as well as those you will likely face
If the effects of your injuries will last a lifetime, then the compensation package should account for that whole lifetime.
Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me 833-552-7274
Why You Should Retain a Jacksonville Personal Injury Attorney at Our Firm
After an accident, you may feel overwhelmed with your injuries to consider the protection of your legal rights. However, the sooner you can protect your interests with the help of a personal injury lawyer, the higher the likelihood of a successful recovery of your losses in your case.
Each personal injury case is unique, and you must approach yours with an understanding of the facts surrounding your case, your injuries, and the law applicable in your case. Any omission or error in the aftermath of an accident can delay the settlement of your claim, result in an unreasonable settlement offer, or result in an unexpected denial.
A personal injury lawyer at Dolman Law Group is your advocate throughout the claims process and will fight for your best interests against insurance companies, at-fault parties, and other competing interests that are involved in your case.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Jacksonville, call 833-552-7274
What You Can Expect from Your Injury Lawyer in Jacksonville
When you partner with Dolman Law Group, you can expect your legal team to:
Investigate Your Accident’s Circumstances
You need evidence to have a successful injury case. You don’t have to hunt for information on your own, however. You can leave that to your lawyer. They will use and obtain the following information to supplement your case:
- The accident report. This document will include the time, date, and location of your accident. It may also reveal who the police officer thought was at fault for the incident.
- Your medical treatment records. The insurance company will want proof that you suffered harm. Not only do your medical treatment records establish that, but they also outline the types of injuries you suffered.
- Witness statements. Testimony from witnesses is crucial in determining how your accident happened. We may interview eyewitnesses who saw your accident firsthand. We may also consult with third-party field experts (such as accident reconstruction specialists) to clarify certain details about your situation.
Determine What Constitutes a Fair Settlement
You might have a rough understanding of what your case is worth. However, when negotiating a settlement, you don’t want to leave anything unaccounted for. Our injury team will evaluate your losses’ financial impact based on:
- Your estimated recovery period
- The time you missed from work
- Your out-of-pocket expenses
- Your own testimony
- The extent of your injuries
- The medical attention you required
We may review other considerations, such as the outcomes of cases similar to yours.
Negotiate a Settlement
In many situations, your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage will pay for your injury-related expenses. However, even when filing a claim with your own insurer, you could experience difficulty in getting what you need. That’s because insurance companies want to make money by selling policies, not paying for claimants’ losses.
Our team has years of experience fighting for injury claimants, and now, we’re ready to put our knowledge to work for you. We’ll do more than file a claim and negotiate an insurance settlement; we’ll also protect you from bad faith insurance practices and uphold your legal rights.
Litigate Your Case, If Necessary
We resolve most injury cases through out-of-court negotiations. However, we’re ready to file and pursue a lawsuit if necessary. Litigation involves taking depositions, cross-examining witnesses, and applying the law to your case. You can trust us to manage everything your prospective lawsuit entails.
Types of Jacksonville Personal Injury Cases We Handle
At Dolman Law Group, we fight for clients that face injuries from a wide range of accidents. Personal injury law covers any injury to a victim that has occurred as a result of an accident or intentional acts due to the fault of another.
Many injuries give rise to personal injury cases. Many people consider car accidents and slip and fall incidents as the most common personal injury cases that take place. However, there is a multitude of other types of situations that give rise to the legal rights of an injury victim to seek compensation against those responsible. Victims are often surprised to learn that even in situations where an individual has deliberately caused them harm, they may qualify for compensation.
At Dolman Law Group, we handle personal injury cases that stem from the following accidents:
- Car accidents. Any car accident can lead to unexpected injuries that can pose a lifelong challenge for the victims involved. If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident due to the fault of another, you may qualify to seek compensation from the insurer or at-fault party.
- Slip and falls. A trip on the sidewalk, a slip at a store, or any event that causes injury to you while on another party’s property can give rise to a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
- Motorcycle accidents. Most motorcycle accidents result in devastating injuries or fatalities. If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident, you may qualify to seek financial compensation for the injuries and damages that you’ve suffered.
- Bicycle or pedestrian accidents. If you cycle or travel along the roadways by foot, you are at heightened risk of injury by negligent drivers. If you are injured in a collision with a motor vehicle, you may seek damages for the losses you have sustained.
- Rideshare accidents. It has become commonplace for many people to rely on rideshare services for their transportation needs. Unfortunately, accidents can happen in a rideshare vehicle, and when they do, determining the liability and responsibility of who is responsible for compensating you for your injuries may prove complex.
- Truck accidents. Large commercial vehicles share the roads alongside passenger vehicles each day. Accidents caused by semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and other large commercial transportation can cause life-changing impacts on victims and their families.
- Medical malpractice. You go to medical providers for help with your health, but when things go wrong, you can end up in a worse position than before, when a provider or other staff member acted negligently while caring for you. Medical malpractice affects the lives of many patients. If you or a loved one suffer harm while under the medical care of a provider or facility, you may be entitled to compensation under the law.
- Sexual abuse by clergy. Abuses within religious organizations and those in positions of power have occurred for quite some time, and when these organizations fail to protect their members and other members of the public, the at-fault organizations could face responsibility for the psychological, emotional, and physical damages of the victims involved.
- Dangerous drugs or devices. Pharmaceutical companies often have many prescription medications and medical devices on the market, which can cause serious adverse consequences to their users. If you are injured while taking a prescribed medication or during the use of a medical device suggested to you by a provider, you may qualify for financial compensation for your damages.
- Birth-related injuries. Childbirth is often a stressful and dangerous experience for many mothers and their newborns. If you or your child sustain injuries during childbirth, you may qualify to seek compensation for your losses, if your providers acted negligently in the process of providing you with care.
- Nursing home abuse or neglect. The families of elders in the community trust nursing home facilities to care for the overall needs of their elderly residents. However, it is unfortunate and common for staff of these homes to neglect or abuse their patients. If you suspect that your loved one has sustained injuries due to nursing home neglect or abuse, you may qualify to seek compensation for the losses and injuries that you and your loved one have incurred.
- Workers’ compensation. Injuries while on the job are quite common, especially in certain industries (such as construction) but the way in which workers’ compensation injuries are compensated can prove complex and a source of confusion for those injured. A personal injury lawyer can assist you with a workers’ compensation insurance claim and provide you with information about any other legal options that you may have.
- Human trafficking. Survivors of human trafficking must rebuild their lives after suffering horrific abuses and injuries experienced while captive. While traffickers will often face criminal consequences, there is also the potential liability of other parties in a civil action. When you can establish that a party assisted or contributed to these appalling abuses through either negligent action or inaction, the at-fault party may face significant liability.
Someone’s careless or reckless behavior can injure someone else in many ways in Jacksonville. Florida has one of the highest rates of fatalities resulting from unintentional injuries in the nation.
However, even because someone did not intend to cause harm by their carelessness and recklessness, it does not mean they are not responsible for compensating their victims for the expenses and quality-of-life impacts they incurred from the injury.
Jacksonville Personal Injury FAQs
If you were injured in an accident in Jacksonville that someone else caused, the accident attorneys at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, understand what a confusing and overwhelming time this is for you. Here are the answers to some questions our clients most frequently ask about Jacksonville personal injury claims. For more specific information regarding your matter, contact us today.
Jacksonville Personal Injury FAQs
What Is Personal Injury Law?
Also known as tort law, personal injury law is a series of state statutes that provide you the opportunity to seek compensation from the individual or entity whose carelessness or recklessness resulted in an accident that caused your injury.
When someone injures you in an accident, you can file a third-party claim with the at-fault party’s applicable insurance policy. However, insurance companies are in the business of protecting their bottom lines, and one of the ways they may try to do this is by avoiding paying out claims.
If the at-fault party’s insurance company fails to pay your claim or offers a settlement that fairly compensates you for the expenses and impacts of your injury, you could seek compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. Often, filing the claim will cause the insurance company to begin taking settlement negotiations more seriously, as litigation is expensive.
If, however, a settlement agreement is not made by the time the case goes to trial, your personal injury attorney can litigate the case and assist you in seeking fair compensation through the courts.
What Cases Can a Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyer Represent Help With?
Countless things can injure an individual in Jacksonville, not the least of which is through traffic accidents on the city’s congested streets. A personal injury lawyer is generally well-versed in the laws pertaining to several types of accidents, known as practice areas.
Some common personal injury practice areas include:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including those that involve passenger cars, rideshares, pickup trucks or SUVs, commercial trucks, buses, motorcycles, bicycles, or pedestrians. Additionally, the personal injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group also accept cases involving watercraft or aircraft.
- Medical malpractice, which refers to the failure of a medical provider—such as a doctor, nurse, dentist, chiropractor, or even a medical facility—to provide the standard of care owed to patients. Medical malpractice cases often involve an error that resulted in harm to a patient, such as a missed or delayed diagnosis, a surgical error, a medication error, some types of birth injuries, or the failure to obtain a complete medical history of the patient.
- Product liability, which refers to the responsibility of everyone in the manufacturing chain to ensure that a product does not pose an unreasonable risk of injury when used according to packaging instructions. Product liability cases often involve injuries or deaths from defective medications or medical devices, auto parts, food, and even children’s toys.
- Premises liability, which refers to the responsibility of residential, commercial, or public property owners or possessors to keep their property free from hazards that can harm guests. The most common Jacksonville premises liability injury is a slip and fall accident. Other types of premises liability cases include injuries or deaths caused by swimming pool accidents, defective or poorly maintained escalators or elevators, fire or flooding of the premises, mold liability, negligent security, and dog bites.
- Workers’ compensation cases. Workers’ compensation is a form of no-fault insurance policy that most employers in Florida are required to purchase on behalf of their employees. This policy will provide coverage of medical expenses and wage loss after a workplace injury. In exchange for this coverage, most injured workers cannot file a personal injury lawsuit against their employers or co-workers. However, if a workplace accident stemmed from recklessness or carelessness on the part of an uninvolved third party, you can file a personal injury lawsuit.
- Nursing home neglect or abuse. Nursing home residents in the U.S. have federally protected rights, including the right to participate in personal and medical decisions, to know about a pending transfer or room change, and to have a dignified existence free from abuse, discrimination, and chemical restraint.
What Compensation Can I Recover Through a Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Florida allows the recovery of both economic and non-economic damages through the personal injury claims process. Recovering damages refers to a payment for the financial (economic) and psychological (non-economic) costs of your injury.
Some of the damages commonly recovered through a personal injury lawsuit include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of the enjoyment of life
How Long Do I Have to File a Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawsuit?
In Florida, claimants generally have four years from the date on which the accident occurred to file a claim. However, in some circumstances, that deadline may extend—such as if the claimant was a minor when the accident occurred or did not discover the injury for quite some time—or shorter, such as when filing a claim against a governmental agency. A personal injury attorney from Dolman Law Group, can advise you if there is an exception to the statute of limitations in your case.
How do I Prove Who Was Liable for My Injuries?
To prove that someone else was liable for your injuries, you must show:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care. The duty of care refers to how a reasonable person would react in similar circumstances to prevent harm to people or property.
- The at-fault party breached the duty of care through action or inaction.
- This breach resulted in the accident, which caused you to incur expenses and impacts because of the injuries you sustained in that accident.
If I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit, Will I Have to Go to Court?
The vast majority of personal injury cases resolve before they ever see the inside of a courtroom, with a common dispute resolution method being a settlement agreement between you and the at-fault party’s insurance provider. It is more likely than not that your case will also resolve outside of court. With that said, some cases do not settle.
Nobody can predict which case will wind up in court, but if yours does, you need an attorney as comfortable fighting with you inside of the courtroom for the compensation you deserve as they are through settlement negotiations. Our dedication and resources have helped us with personal injury cases in Florida through the years. Dolman Law Group is positioned to help you resolve your case either inside the courtroom or through the negotiation process.
Will I Have to Pay Taxes on My Personal Injury Settlement?
According to the Internal Revenue Service, compensation for a personal injury claim is not income and is, therefore, not taxed. However, one exception regards punitive damages. Courts sometimes award punitive damages in personal injury cases not as compensation for the expenses and impacts of the injury but as a financial consequence of extremely reckless behavior on the part of the defendant. Because the compensation does not relate to the injury itself, the IRS taxes it.
One additional tax consideration: if you deducted your injury-related medical expenses from your tax burden and then later received compensation for medical expenses, you must pay back the deduction.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer? Can’t I Just File a Jacksonville Personal Injury Claim on My Own?
A lawyer brings many valuable things to the table, all to obtain the maximum amount of compensation available to you, including:
- Experience. By the time a personal injury lawyer begins working on your case, he or she has spent years obtaining the education necessary for the position, and more years working on assisting individuals who were injured to obtain the compensation that Florida affords them the right to seek. Dolman Law Group has helped thousands of people to recover damages. Legal matters are complex. Insurance matters are complex. Medical matters are complex. Experience is crucial.
- Guidance. When working with a personal injury lawyer on your case, the decisions remain yours to make. Your attorney uses knowledge of the legal system to guide you to make an informed decision.
- Resources. Dolman Law Group has resources to devote to your case, including an extensive network of industry experts in many fields that can provide input or even provide testimony, if needed. Because we work on a contingency-fee basis, you do not owe us for our legal services until there is a successful outcome to your case.
Let the Jacksonville personal injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group help you obtain compensation for the financial and psychological impacts of your accident.
What Happens If the Insurance Company Denies My Claim?
It’s not uncommon for insurance companies to deny valid claims. When they do, they must provide a written statement outlining why. If the insurance company denies your claim, we can evaluate the reason for the denial and take action from there. This may include compiling more evidence or suing the at-fault party.
The Far-Reaching Impacts of an Unexpected Injury on Your Life
Personal injuries are painful and may require extensive time for recovery and rehabilitation. Beyond the physical suffering and limitations on your body that arise from your injury, you may also face mental and/or emotional challenges due to the accident and its aftermath. The medical expenses for treatment, such as emergency care, provider follow-ups, rehabilitation, and therapy, can add up quickly and become a burden to you and your family’s finances.
Severe injuries can mean weeks or months of missed work and reduced or eliminated income; if you suffer catastrophic injuries, your life may never go back to what it was. Even in cases of minor personal injuries, your incapacity to complete your normal work duties will likely impact your income earning potential now and in the future.
Victims are often surprised by the impacts that an injury can have on every aspect of their lives. From relationships, financial obligations, loss of independence, and learning to live with a lifelong condition or injury, there are many ways in which an accident can upend your life and cause you stress and challenges.
The Most Prominent Cause of Injuries in Jacksonville Personal Injury Matters
The circumstances that led up to an accident are unique in each case. How and why an injury has occurred holds great weight in the determination of fault in a case and the liability for the injuries and damages caused. The majority of personal injury cases are caused by the negligence of a party or multiple parties.
Negligence is a legal term used to describe a situation in which a party fails to uphold the duty of care owed to another individual. Many relationships and positions create a duty of care in your daily life. To establish that a party has acted negligently, there are certain elements under the law that an injured individual must meet.
Plaintiffs in personal injury cases must prove the following elements of negligence:
- The at-fault party owed the plaintiff a duty of care.
- The at-fault party breached the duty of care by acting negligently given the circumstances.
- The breach caused an accident.
- The accident caused the plaintiff to suffer injuries and damages.
Once negligence is established, that party will likely have to compensate you for the damages you have suffered and the losses you have incurred due to the accident and injuries sustained.
Dolman Law Group: Experienced Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyers
A member of our team will take the time to discuss the circumstances of your case and the legal options that you may have to fight for compensation for the full cost of your injuries.