- Collect the contact information of anyone involved in the accident, as well as license plates or other identifying information on the vehicle (such as business name and number if it is a commercial vehicle).
- Collect the contact information of any witnesses who saw what happened.
- Talk to the police and give your version of events—without admitting fault on your part—so that your version can make it into the police report.
- Take photos of all vehicles involved before they are towed or driven away, including all points of impact, damage caused by the accident, preexisting damage, and more.
- Take photos of the road and scene around the vehicles, including any tire marks, dangerous hazards in the road, or any other conditions that may be related to the collision.
- Take photos of the debris scattered on the road. Sometimes, information regarding the way items and parts fall off a car can assist accident reconstruction experts in their analysis.
- Look around and note whether there are any video cameras or other surveillance equipment around that may have recorded the accident. In many cases, a video can provide concrete evidence of what exactly occurred.
- Make note of anything else that you believe may be relevant to the accident.
Contact a St. Petersburg auto accident attorney as soon as possible after an accidentAttorneys who do not have experience litigating personal injury cases do not understand the types of evidence that are necessary to adequately prove negligence in an auto accident so that you can recover financially. At the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, our auto accident lawyers have extensive experience pursuing personal injury claims on behalf of injured auto accident victims. We can assist you from the very beginning to the very end of your case, from negotiations with insurance companies to settlement negotiations with the other party to a personal injury trial if necessary. We know the steps to take to best assist you at every stage of your case, including gathering the evidence needed to prove fault in the collision. If you have been in an accident, please call our St. Petersburg office at 727-222-6922 for a free consultation today. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA 1663 1st Ave S. St. Petersburg, FL 33712 (727) 472-3909 References:  https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/evidence  https://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0318/0318ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2015&Title=-%3E2015-%3EChapter%20318