No one expects to be in a car accident, so when it happens, the whole experience can be shocking. Moreover, the effects may extend well beyond the moment of collision. Victims of St. Petersburg car accidents could face the consequences for months or even years to come. Serious car accident injuries often mean significant medical bills and taking time off from work, which can cause stress and financial burdens. With so much at stake, it's crucial to work with a St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer.
If you have suffered injuries in an automobile accident, contact a St. Pete car accident attorney as soon as possible. Negligent drivers can be held responsible for damages in a car accident lawsuit. Call Dolman Law Group, Accident Injury Lawyers, PA in St. Petersburg at (727) 451-6900 or contact us online to discuss your potential claim for free.
If you aren't sure whether you should hire a car accident law firm, keep reading for more valuable information.
St. Petersburg Collisions Can Cause Serious Injuries
While cars are equipped with increasingly effective safety features, the impact of being rear-ended or t-boned can still do serious damage to the human body. You may be thrown against a hard surface, become crushed or trapped between heavy objects, launched from your vehicle, or violently jolted back and forth. Seemingly minor injuries, like a broken wrist, can still end up costing you thousands of dollars in medical bills and lost wages.
In Pinellas County, which is home to St. Petersburg, 8,412 people were injured in 14,313 total car accidents in 2020. Serious car accident injuries may leave victims with permanent impairments, even after extensive treatment. A skilled St. Petersburg auto accident attorney will be able to connect you with a reputable medical provider and gather your medical records to provide evidence of your need for compensation.
Reported Car Accidents Involving Injuries in St. Petersburg, FL
The St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyers at Dolman Law Group Can Help You Recover Compensation for These Common Car Accident Injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries (spinal cord injuries, broken back, herniated disc)
- Neck injuries (whiplash, neck sprain, broken neck vertebrae)
- Internal injuries
- Fractured or broken bones
- Contusions and lacerations
- Soft tissue injuries
If you have been in a car crash, you'll want to seek immediate medical attention, even if it doesn't initially seem like you are seriously injured. Some injuries are “silent” and can take days or even longer to manifest fully. It's essential to get early treatment for your well-being and keep accurate medical records in case you need to file a personal injury claim.
Car Accident Injuries Can Cause Dangerous Internal Bleeding
One of the most serious consequences of trauma is internal bleeding. It can occur in almost any organ or blood vessel. Motor vehicle collisions commonly involve blunt trauma, where a body part collides with something at high speed, resulting in torn or crushed blood vessels. The most common sources of internal bleeding are:
- Head trauma
- Damage to the liver or spleen
- Injuries around the heart and lungs
Signs and symptoms of internal bleeding vary, depending on the severity of the accident and injuries. Internal bleeding symptoms to watch for include headaches, abdominal pain, and a deep purple coloring to the skin. We always suggest you seek medical attention if you have been in an auto accident. Even if you can walk and communicate, the chance for internal and out-of-sight injuries is too great to risk your life.
Talk and Die Syndrome is a Serious Concern After Auto Collisions
Experiencing a blow to the head during a car crash does not always result in immediate pain. A victim may appear lucid and able to walk and talk while suffering internally from an epidural hemorrhage. According to a report from CNN, victims may be unaware their skull is fractured and that bleeding and swelling are occurring. Symptoms include nausea, severe headache, and sudden sleepiness, with most symptoms appearing anywhere from five minutes to three hours from the time of impact.
If you or a passenger experienced a blow to the head during a car accident yet feel fine, you may want to seek medical attention anyway. Tell medical personnel your head may be injured. The rapid decline of talk and die syndrome may be fatal, and the utmost caution must be used to treat it before worse outcomes can occur.
What Causes St. Petersburg Car Accidents?
While poor weather, limited visibility at night, poorly maintained roads, and defective car parts may be contributing or causal factors, most car accidents can be attributed to the actions of negligent drivers. The most common form of negligence that causes car accidents is distracted driving, especially distracted driving that involves smartphone use. When a driver's attention is diverted from the road, they can miss critical cues that lead to devastating accidents.
For example, a driver who is distracted by a text may miss a yellow light as it turns red and run a red light, causing a t-bone car accident. In this example, the distracted driver owed their fellow motorists a duty of care to pay attention to traffic and obey the law.
The choice to respond to a text is a breach of this duty of care. The negligent driver's actions caused the accident and the injuries to the other driver, which means they would likely be held responsible for the resulting damages. A St. Petersburg car accident attorney will be able to help determine liability in a collision involving negligence in order to recover damages.
Common Causes of St. Petersburg car accidents include:
What Money Damages Can My St. Petersburg Car Accident Attorney Recover For Me After a Crash?
Recoverable damages refer to expenses and losses you incurred as a result of the accident. These can include both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages are objective monetary losses like medical bills or lost wages, while non-economic damages consist of subjective non-monetary losses like mental anguish or loss of consortium.
Examples of Economic Damages in a Car Accident Lawsuit:
- Medical bills: You can receive reimbursement for medical treatment you received right after the crash, as well as future medical costs. An auto accident attorney can help calculate the value of future medical bills. Any medical treatment can be included, such as ambulance rides, ongoing medical care, occupational therapy, physical therapy, medications, and emergency room bills.
- Loss of income: If you were out of work while recovering from the accident, you could recoup your lost earnings. If you are unable to return to work in the same capacity due to injuries you sustained during the accident, you can also be compensated for lost future earning potential.
- Auto repair or loss: If your car was damaged in the accident, you can be reimbursed for the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle.
Keep receipts for any losses you incurred after the car accident. These can be helpful to a car accident attorney when calculating the value of your claim.
Examples of Non-Economic Damages in a Car Accident Lawsuit Include:
- Pain and suffering: This refers to any pain and discomfort you endured while you recovered from the accident.
- Emotional distress: It is possible to suffer from emotional distress after a car accident. Some conditions include anxiety, depression, and PTSD.
- Loss of enjoyment: After an accident, you may find yourself not enjoying activities you used to love. As a result, it is possible to receive damages for “loss of enjoyment.”
Why Should I Work With a St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer?
You can retain legal assistance any time after your crash. A car accident attorney can help you simplify the litigation process and answer any questions you may have. Auto accident lawyers do a lot more than handle communication with insurance companies, file paperwork, and calculate damages. As your advocate, they are your voice in negotiations. That means you need to hire a car accident lawyer you can trust to represent your best interests.
Before choosing a St. Petersburg car crash attorney, you should do your research. Do they have the resources and expertise to handle your claim? What do their former clients say about their character and attitude? Do they have a record of recovering maximum compensation? Are they willing to go to trial?
A quality St. Petersburg auto accident lawyer will be able to provide you with these services and live up to their promises. They will be familiar with the tactics insurance companies may use to diminish your claim and have the skills to prevent that from happening.
Why You Should Choose Dolman Law Group to Represent You in Your St. Pete Car Accident Lawsuit
Clients are our number one priority at Dolman Law Group. We understand the difficulty of being an accident victim and the range of physical and economic consequences it may bring. That's why we are committed to ensuring our clients get the damages they are entitled to. At Dolman Law Group, we go above and beyond to help our clients in the following ways:
- We offer free case evaluations, so there is no risk or commitment to learn if you have a case.
- Our team works quickly to identify all potential sources of compensation. Our goal is to pursue the maximum amount of compensation for our clients.
- Each client is given the proper care and attention they deserve.
- We will advocate for you throughout the entirety of your case to make sure insurance companies pay you what you are owed.
- You will receive your attorney's phone number so you can reach them any time you have a question or need a status update on your case.
- We have significant resources and can fight large insurance companies to help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Our St. Petersburg car accident attorneys will be there for you every step of the way throughout your case. A car accident can be an overwhelming and stressful event—we will take care of the legal matters while you focus on recovering.
Dolman Law Group Delivers Impressive Car Accident Case Results
The personal injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group are experienced in negotiating, settling, and litigating personal injury cases, including those that involve auto collisions. Recent cases include:
Car Accident Verdict - $1.58 Million
Our client suffered two herniated discs impinging on the spinal cord. In this case, the insurance carrier offered a settlement of $62,000 before litigation. We used an expert “life planner” who determined our client's expected future costs for medical care and their loss of earning capacity.
Car Accident Resolution - $1 Million
Our client suffered a superior labrum anterior-posterior (SLAP) tear to his shoulder, broad-based disc herniation, and post-concussive syndrome. We successfully settled this case just before trial, after 14 months of litigation.
While these past results do not guarantee future outcomes for new claims, they represent our commitment at Dolman Law Group to fight for the best possible results for our clients. Don't let an insurance company intimidate you into settling for less than you are entitled to. You can speak to one of our personal injury lawyers and learn more about your rights for free.
FAQs About St. Petersburg Car Accident Claims
What should I do after a St. Petersburg car accident?
- Get off the road: If the accident is minor without serious injuries, try to get all of the vehicles involved away from traffic. This will help first responders get to the scene faster and lower the chances of causing a large traffic jam or additional collisions.
- Seek medical care: Even if your injuries are minor, it is important to have documentation from a hospital or physician to prove the connection between your injuries and the accident.
- Call the police and file a police report: Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may give your statement at the scene of the accident or from the hospital. Otherwise, under Florida Statutes § 316.066, you are required to submit a long-form report to law enforcement within ten days of the accident. The details you provide about the accident will become important documentation for potential litigation.
- Gather potential evidence: This includes talking to witnesses, getting contact information from parties, and taking pictures of the accident scene and the cars involved when possible. Writing down what happened will be helpful in the future too. Sometimes, important details from an accident can be forgotten. Write down the direction you were driving, your location on the road at the moment of impact, and what the other car was doing at the time of the crash.
You may not be able to perform these tasks due to your physical condition. Not to worry, your dedicated car accident lawyers can help gather information, contact the police and eyewitnesses, request your medical records, and more if you authorize these actions.
Should I talk to the other driver after a St. Petersburg car wreck? What about the insurance company?
- Keep your communication with the other driver to a minimum: After an accident, you should exchange relevant information such as driver's license information, insurance coverage details, and contact info. However, you don't have to do anything more than that. Keep what you say to an absolute minimum. What you say can potentially be used against you in a claim to portray you as at-fault.
- Do not accept a settlement from an insurance company immediately. While you do need to speak with law enforcement, you do not have to speak with insurance companies that are trying to get you to settle. You should not agree to a quick settlement without first having your case reviewed by a personal injury lawyer. Insurance companies know that accident victims are often overwhelmed and may be confused by the post-accident process, and many don't hesitate to use those realities to their advantage.
Contact a St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer at Dolman Law Group For Help With Your Auto Collision Claim
Vehicle accidents can occur anywhere, at any time. Drivers increasingly drive distracted, under the influence, and just plain recklessly. Depending on the severity of the injuries, car accident damages can be extensive. No one should have to pay for the consequences of someone else's negligence. You can take charge of your situation by taking action against those responsible by filing a car accident injury claim. Our firm wants to help.
Every St. Petersburg car accident lawyer at Dolman Law Group has extensive experience assisting car accident victims. We can share insight about how to maximize the compensation you may receive from a settlement, thanks to years of helping many satisfied clients. During our years serving injured clients, we have also gained critical trial experience that is invaluable when negotiations stall, and we need to bring a car accident lawsuit to court. If you have been injured in a car crash in St. Petersburg or anywhere else in Florida, contact us.
We offer free case evaluations and have a no-recovery, no-fee guarantee. Reach out to the St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys from Dolman Law Group, Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, at (727) 472-3909 or complete our online form to learn if we may be able to help you. Our St Petersburg office is located at 1663 1st Ave S. St. Petersburg, FL, 33712.
St Petersburg Office
1663 1st Ave S.
St. Petersburg, FL 33712
Phone: (727) 472-3909