As a nationally-recognized trial lawyer, Attorney D. Brett Turnbull has established a reputation for obtaining positive jury verdicts and settlements for his clients. His focus is on providing justice for those who have been injured by the actions or negligence of others.
After graduating from the University of Alabama, Brett attended The Cumberland School of Law and was introduced to his life’s passion: trial law. He went on to become a leader among his class, widely recognized for his work in trial advocacy. Brett now serves with the Alabama Association for Justice, the Alabama State Bar, and the Southern Trial Lawyers Association in an effort to ensure the region’s continued excellence in trial law.
Bret has worked for over ten years on cases across the spectrum of trial law, including complex litigation for issues like traumatic brain injuries, nursing home negligence, product liability claims, and truck accidents. Licensed to practice law in four states, Turnbull has achieved many positive jury verdicts out of the more than 70 in which he has served. This includes medical malpractice and product liability cases for $21.5 million, $9 million, and $5 million.
As part of his passion for helping injured people, Brett helped co-found the National Brain Injury Lawyer Organization and is a founding member and teacher at Trial Structure. Listed on the Top 40 Under 40 list, Brett has also been a Super Lawyer for nearly a decade straight, was featured on Courtroom View Network, and is considered one of the nation’s leading young trial lawyers.
Brett has been married for 13 years and has four children. He can often be found outdoors with his wife, Dawn, and their children, Brett, Arden, Miller, and Bess. The family loves to play sports together (including basketball, soccer, golf, tennis, and baseball), and they try to take trips to the lake or beach on the occasional non-work weekend. Brett and his family attend South Highland Presbyterian Church in Birmingham, where they are members.
LICENSED TO PRACTICE IN:
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Claims
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court – Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – District of New Mexico
- Alabama Association for Justice – Emerging Leaders Section Chair (2014), Trial Contributor, Executive Committee, Speaker at both Emerging Leaders Seminars and AAJ Statewide Seminars.
- Alabama State Bar – Young Lawyers Section, Lawyer Referral Service, Young Lawyer Executive Committee (2006)
- Birmingham Bar Association – Young Lawyers Section, Jefferson County Lawyer Mentoring Program
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association – Alabama Board of Governors (2012-2013)