- Did you suffer an injury in an accident in Clearwater, FL?
- Were you injured in a car accident on the Causeway Bridge?
- Did you slip and fall while staying at a resort on Clearwater Beach Island?
No matter where your injury accident occurred, you deserve a dedicated Clearwater personal injury lawyer on your side from the very start.
At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we know how to aggressively represent injured Clearwater accident victims, and we can help you obtain the money you need to recover. Call our Clearwater personal injury law office today at (727) 451-6900 to learn more during a FREE initial consultation.
- Why Work with Dolman Law Group for You Clearwater Personal Injury Claim?
- Types of Clearwater Personal Injury Claims we Handle at Dolman Law Group
- Our Clearwater Personal Injury Law Office
- Schedule A Free Consultation
- What Should I Do After Suffering Injuries in a Clearwater Accident?
- How Do I Know If I Have a Clearwater Personal Injury Case?
- Why You Need a Clearwater Personal Injury Law Firm With Extensive Resources
- How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Clearwater?
- What Types of Compensation Can I Receive After a Personal Injury Accident in Clearwater?
- Schedule A Free Consultation
- How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Clearwater Personal Injury Attorney
- How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Clearwater Personal Injury Claim?
- What If I'm Partially At Fault for Causing My Injuries--Can I Still Obtain Compensation?
- What Is the Personal Injury Claims Process in Clearwater?
- Contact a Clearwater Personal Injury Lawyer at Dolman Law Group For a Free Case Evaluation Today
- Client Testimonials
Why Work with Dolman Law Group for You Clearwater Personal Injury Claim?
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, is a nationally recognized personal injury law firm headquartered in Clearwater. Our firm was launched in 2009, and as of 2023, our personal injury lawyers have recovered over $400 million for our injury victim clients. Further, we have handled over 8000 personal injury cases, including car accidents, falls, workplace injuries, medical malpractice, and wrongful death matters.
Our Founder, Matthew Dolman, is a well-respected Clearwater injury lawyer and a lifetime member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum for settlements and verdicts exceeding $1 million and $2 million, respectively. He has been selected by his colleagues as a Florida Super Lawyer and Florida's Legal Elite personal injury attorney on numerous occasions.
Matthew's partner and Head of Litigation, Stanley Gipe, is a Board-Certified Civil Trial Lawyer, which means he is recognized by the Florida Bar for his expertise in trial practice. Only a few litigators achieve this status. Matthew and Stan have served as lead counsel on a combined 1,750 Florida personal injury lawsuits.
Insurance carriers are well aware of which Clearwater law firms actively litigate a personal injury lawsuit as opposed to leaving money on the table. We are not a volume shop or settlement mill. We pride ourselves on providing personal attention to our clients. In fact, all clients receive the cell phone number of their handling lawyer and the managing partner of the firm.
We are the opposite of a high-volume heavy advertising law firm that you will find on network television or the radio. Our team is focused on quality, not quantity. We have built the majority of our business on word-of-mouth referrals from very satisfied former and current clients.
We Truly Understand What You're Going Through
When you're injured in an accident, your life changes in a single moment. What was a typical, uneventful day quickly becomes a nightmare of stress, pain, and confusion. This is unfortunate, and we understand that. There is little anyone can do to alleviate the problems caused by a serious injury.
However, once the initial shock is over, there is something that we at Dolman Law Group can do. We can help relieve you of the stress of dealing with an insurance company or the worry of whether you'll be able to recover compensation to pay your bills in the future. We do this by managing your personal injury claim and all it entails.
There is a reason why so many injured Clearwater residents and visitors choose our personal injury law firm after suffering catastrophic injuries. Our track record of success speaks volumes about the type of legal representation you will receive when you work with our law firm. Here are just some of our most notable personal injury cases:
- $5 million for a car accident victim who suffered burn injuries
- $3.85 million for a truck accident victim who suffered brain injuries
- $3.2 million for a truck accident victim who suffered a brain injury
- $1.75 million for an accident victim who suffered a shoulder injury in an accident on I-275
- $1.58 million for a car accident victim who suffered a spinal cord injury
After an injury, we understand that you'll have questions: “What should I do next? What are my legal rights? Can I recover my losses? And if so, how do I proceed?” The answers to these questions may not be simple, but finding a Clearwater injury lawyer who is willing to help you answer them is.
To negotiate a fair settlement of your insurance claim or receive a favorable verdict in your personal injury lawsuit, our law firm will fiercely advocate on your behalf and guide you through the entire process while we seek compensation for all of your losses.
Types of Clearwater Personal Injury Claims we Handle at Dolman Law Group
The attorneys at the Dolman Law Group have extensive experience handling all types of Clearwater personal injury claims, including:
- Clearwater Car Accidents
- Clearwater Bicycle Accidents
- Clearwater Pedestrian Accidents
- Clearwater Bus Accidents
- Clearwater Uber Accidents
- Clearwater Hit and Run Car Accidents
- Clearwater Rear End Car Accident Collision Injuries
- Clearwater Uninsured Motorist Accidents
- Clearwater Construction Accidents
- Clearwater Boating Accidents
- Clearwater Dog Bites
- Clearwater Nursing Home Abuse
- Clearwater Slip and Fall Accidents
- Clearwater Workers Compensation
- Clearwater Child Injuries
- Clearwater Back and Neck Injuries
- Clearwater Burn Injuries
- Clearwater Knee Injuries
- Clearwater Catastrophic Injuries
- Clearwater Pain and Suffering
More Information About the Types of Clearwater Personal Injury Claims We Handle
Personal injuries come in many different forms. Here are some ways we can help you obtain compensation for various common injury-causing events in Clearwater:
Dolman Law Group has handled claims and Clearwater car accident lawsuits against every conceivable auto insurance carrier. We routinely retain accident reconstructionists if liability is in question and biomechanical engineers to illustrate the force involved in a collision. Our car accident lawyers have resolved numerous auto accident claims in the high six figures and several ranging over $1 million.
Commercial Truck Accidents
Far too often, Clearwater car accident lawyers treat Clearwater truck accident claims no different than typical motor vehicle accidents. This is a HUGE mistake and will often result in leaving significant money on the table or shortchanging a case going to trial.
A competent truck accident lawyer must be familiar with Federal trucking laws, including hours of service regulations. Hours of service govern how long a trucker is allowed to be operating a big rig in one continuous shift, how many hours they can drive in a week, and how often they must take breaks. Further, accidents involving a semi-truck are expensive.
We always retain an expert immediately to secure the truck's black box and download the data. Further, we want an opportunity for our expert to view and inspect the truck before it is fixed. Dolman Law Group maintains a large credit line to finance the retention of experts and the work-up of our most complicated cases.
Many lawyers take photos posed on a Harley and call themselves Clearwater motorcycle accident attorneys. Don't be fooled by advertising. At the end of the day, all that matters is the competence and experience the lawyer and law firm has in handling motorcycle wrecks.
Our Clearwater personal injury attorneys have collectively handled over 600 motorcycle accident cases, including wrongful death motorcycle crashes. We are empathetic to the bias bikers face from insurance adjusters in general. Keep in mind what makes motorcycle accidents unique in Florida is that injured riders do not qualify for personal injury protection (PIP) insurance because those policies are limited to vehicles with at least four wheels.
Thus, an injured rider must rely on their attorney to seek compensation from the negligent party. Further, an injured motorcyclist must not meet the “injury threshold” required in a car accident scenario. Our goal is to investigate the scene, your motorcycle, and the other vehicle as soon as possible.
Further, we generally retain experts, such as accident reconstruction experts, to help illustrate the liability of the opposing party. We also retain a vocational rehab specialist, if necessary, to demonstrate how the motorcycle accident will impact the rider's ability to maintain their job or obtain new employment going forward.
The use of these specialists is vital in showing the opposing party just how detrimental the accident was to the victim's life. Healing from a motorcycle accident is not a straight and easy road, and there are many different factors that can play into the process. A Clearwater personal injury lawyer can help you navigate these tough times.
Slips, Trips, and Falls
These are often some of the most complex cases. An experienced lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation because these claims rarely resolve short of a lawsuit. Thus, we often work with a human factors expert early on and conduct a diligent investigation of the fall location and circumstances.
Back and Neck Injuries
These overlap with car accidents, motorcycle wrecks, semi-truck collisions, slip-and-fall incidents, bicycle accidents, and pedestrian injury claims. Over 50 percent of all negligence claims at our firm involve injuries to the spine, including, but not limited to, herniated discs, extruded disc fragments, vertebral injuries, and spinal cord injuries.
We are familiar with the best spine surgeons, and we work with those who testify well in court and can serve as a patient's advocate.
Florida law governs which family members can request financial recovery in the event of the wrongful death of a loved one. We have handled hundreds of Clearwater wrongful death lawsuits and claims throughout Florida.
Traumatic Brain Injuries
We have handled a large variety of mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI) and Clearwater traumatic brain injury (TBI) cases, including diffuse axonal injuries (DAI), coup-contrecoup injury, post-concussion syndrome, loss of consciousness, and many others.
Drunk Driving Accidents
We represent victims of serious accidents involving the gross negligence of an individual or corporation after a motorist decided to operate their vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Nursing Home Abuse
Sadly, the abuse sustained by our elderly clients is often the work of employees and even residents of their nursing homes or assisted living facilities (ALF). We handle the following types of nursing home claims and lawsuits:
- Negligent retention and hiring of employees
- Inadequate training
- Medication errors
- Breach of statutory rights of residents
At Dolman Law Group, we routinely represent victims of workplace accidents in Clearwater and throughout Florida. Workers' compensation is a benefit available to a vast majority of injured employees if they sustained their injury or ailment in the course of employment.
Clearwater workers' compensation law determines who the injured worker can recoup money from and how much the individual is entitled to. Some of the benefits available might include temporary total disability, permanent partial disability, permanent total disability, job re-training, the payment of medical bills, and death benefits if the employee died from a job-related injury.
We have experience representing Clearwater workers who have sustained the following types of injuries:
- Repetitive motion and trauma, such as carpal tunnel syndrome
- Back and neck injuries
- Shoulder injury
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Chemical burns
- Eye injuries
Our Clearwater Personal Injury Law Office
The Dolman Law Group Clearwater personal injury law office is conveniently located at 800 N Belcher Road, just a few blocks from NE Coachman Road and Palmetto St. We offer FREE consultations, so you can learn more about your legal options. During this evaluation and consultation, we can help answer all your questions and explore your legal options with you.
What Should I Do After Suffering Injuries in a Clearwater Accident?
If you've suffered injuries in an accident in Clearwater, Florida, it's important to take several steps to ensure your well-being, protect your rights, and potentially seek compensation for your damages. Here's what you should do:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health is the top priority. If you're injured, seek medical attention promptly. Even if your injuries seem minor, it's crucial to get a professional medical evaluation to rule out any hidden or delayed injuries.
- Report the Accident: Depending on the type of accident, report it to the appropriate authorities. For car accidents, contact the police and make sure an official report is filed. For other types of accidents, such as slip and falls, report the incident to the property owner or manager.
- Document the Scene: If possible and safe to do so, document the accident scene. Take photographs of the location, any involved vehicles, any hazards or contributing factors, and your injuries. These photos can serve as valuable evidence later.
- Exchange Information: If other parties were involved in the accident, exchange contact information, insurance details, and vehicle information. Also, gather contact information from any witnesses who can testify about what happened.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep any documents related to the accident, injuries, and medical treatment. This includes medical records, bills, receipts, repair estimates, and correspondence with insurance companies.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: If the accident involves a vehicle, notify your own insurance company about the incident. Provide them with accurate and truthful information about what happened.
- Consult an Attorney: Consider consulting a personal injury attorney who specializes in cases like yours. They can help you understand your rights, navigate the legal process, and determine if you have a viable claim for compensation.
- Avoid Speaking to Insurers: Be cautious when communicating with insurance adjusters, especially from the other party's insurance company. Do not admit fault or provide recorded statements without consulting your attorney.
- Follow Medical Advice: Follow the treatment plan prescribed by your healthcare provider. Attend all follow-up appointments, take prescribed medications, and follow any recommendations for rehabilitation or therapy.
- Document Your Recovery: Keep a journal documenting your injuries, pain levels, and how they impact your daily life. This can serve as evidence of your physical and emotional suffering.
- Stay Off Social Media: Be cautious about posting information about the accident, injuries, or your recovery on social media. Insurance companies and opposing parties can use this information against you.
Remember that every personal injury case is unique, and the specific actions you need to take may vary based on the circumstances of your accident. Consulting with a personal injury attorney Dolman Law Group can help you take the appropriate steps to protect your rights and potentially seek compensation for your injuries and damages.
How Do I Know If I Have a Clearwater Personal Injury Case?
No accident is the same. Therefore, it might be difficult to tell if you have a valid claim and whether you need a Clearwater personal injury attorney for your situation. The key elements in any personal injury claim are showing you suffered injuries and establishing liability on the at-fault party by proving their negligence caused your injuries.
How Do You Prove Negligence in a Clearwater Personal Injury Case?
Recovering compensation for your injury requires you to sufficiently prove that the other party(s) acted in a negligent manner and that legal damages were incurred.
This goes beyond just who was at fault or who was in the wrong. In fact, proving negligence requires several elements: proving a duty of care existed, proving a breach of that duty, and proving that damage and losses resulted. This is done through the presentation of evidence to support these claims.
To prove fault in a personal injury claim, we must establish:
- The other party owed you a duty of care in the situation. For instance, drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles in a reasonably safe manner. Likewise, property owners have a duty to keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition for the safety of their visitors and guests.
- That party breached that duty and caused your injuries. When someone breaches their duty of care, they do something (or fail to do something) that caused or could have prevented the injury. For example, a person who was texting and driving breached their duty to drive safely and cautiously; if not for their texting, there would have been no collision.
- You suffered losses as a result. Finally, we must prove that you incurred financial losses as a result of the accident. It is not enough that the other party had a duty of care, breached that duty of care, and an accident occurred; we must also prove that damages and losses resulted from that accident. Losses can include your medical bills, lost wages and future earning capacity, lost benefits, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress, physical pain and suffering, and more.
Personal injury claims are often mistaken as a supposedly simple area of the law. In actuality, the varying elements that make up a personal injury case present specific and complicated legal principles and standards. Despite what an insurance company might tell you, no personal injury case is simple. That's why you'll want an experienced personal injury attorney handling your case.
Proving negligence is just one of many ways that personal injury claims can become complicated. There are often multiple sources of negligence or multiple parties at fault; no insurance company or defendant is going to provide this information voluntarily.
You deserve an attorney who can recognize these diverse challenges and help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Additionally, there are other scenarios that might help you decide whether to contact an attorney after an injury-causing event:
You or a Loved One Has Sustained a Serious Injury or Permanent Disability
When it comes to your quality of life, there is no question you should hire a Clearwater personal lawyer if you have been seriously injured - or worse, permanently disabled. Accidents can also cause more than simply physical injuries, though. We understand the emotional and mental anguish you may experience. Our Clearwater injury lawyers will fight for the fair value of these losses in addition to your out-of-pocket expenses.
After an accident, there is pain, suffering, and a mountain of bills to deal with. If you sustained an injury that is going to require long-term care or cause you a permanent disability, hiring a Clearwater personal injury lawyer could be the only way to prevent serious, lifelong financial stress for you and your family.
You Aren't Sure Who Is at Fault
When you are in an accident where it is unclear who was at fault, it can be very confusing, and you might be worried about possible bills you could be left with. If this should happen, you should absolutely consult with a personal injury lawyer.
In situations like this, the other party's insurance company will do anything in its power to try to blame you for your damages or even the other party's losses. Reviewing your accident with an attorney can help you protect your rights and help you defend against counterclaims and crossclaims.
If There Are Multiple Parties Involved in Your Clearwater Accident
Accidents involving multiple parties can become very tricky. Dealing with one insurance company is difficult enough to try and handle on your own; multiple insurance companies are even worse.
Personal injury attorneys have the experience necessary to deal with multiple insurance companies at once and to help build a case that will maximize your damages and potential settlement or jury verdict.
In the case of multiple parties being at fault for your injury, a personal injury lawyer will also have the skills necessary to ensure that you get all the compensation you deserve without leaving money on the table.
The Insurance Company Denied Your Claim or Is Causing Unreasonable Delays
Most people do not understand the very complicated laws and procedures that go along with a personal injury claim, and insurance companies prey on that.
They might flat-out deny your legitimate injury claim because they are aware that without a lawyer representing you, there is little you can do about it.
Some even delay your claim, knowing you will eventually give in because of all the bills you have been acquiring. They may use this position to offer a very small amount of what your claim is actually worth.
If either of these situations happens, you most definitely should consult with an injury attorney in Clearwater.
Why You Need a Clearwater Personal Injury Law Firm With Extensive Resources
Like other legal cases, personal injury cases in Clearwater require evidence to support the claims made. This is often in the form of medical documents, photos of injuries and damage, investigative reports, a recreation of accident scenes, and more.
All this evidence is necessary to prove negligence against another individual, a manufacturer, or a property owner. However, gathering this relevant evidence can be a challenging task that will require a significant amount of time, energy, and resources. Fortunately for injured victims in our area, the Clearwater injury attorneys at Dolman Law Group have the necessary resources to conduct a thorough investigation.
Our Clearwater personal injury lawyers will spend the time and energy gathering the necessary evidence to support your case so you can focus on your physical and mental recovery.
It should be mentioned that some evidence can only be collected by you or an authorized party, and it needs to be gathered as soon as possible after the accident. Be sure to read the links below to learn more.
What Evidence is Needed to Support Your Case?
Examples of evidence used in a Clearwater personal injury case include:
- Medical records
- Witness statements
- Police reports
- Video footage
- Cell phone records
- Vehicle maintenance records
- Expert analysis of the accident scene
- Expert testimony about the severity of injuries
- Testimony from economic experts
As you can see, some of the evidence is outside the scope of everyday knowledge and available resources. That's why hiring a personal injury lawyer with the experience and resources to gather this evidence for you is so critical.
The insurance companies will try to convince you that your case is simple and the complicated evidence listed above does not apply to your case. Do not fall for this! If you have been significantly injured in an accident, the evidence listed above with be imperative to prove the compensation you deserve.
At Dolman Law Group, we have spent years forming an extensive network of experts and investigators who are on-call to help with your personal injury claim. Employing these resources, along with gathering the proper evidence early, gives you the best chance of obtaining the greatest possible result in your injury case.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Clearwater?
Whether you suffered a collision, fall, or another incident, you have a limited time to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party. Florida Statutes § 95.11(3)(a) states that you generally have two years to file your lawsuit. If you're filing a wrongful death lawsuit after a loved one was killed in an accident, you typically also have two years to act, per Florida Statutes § 95.11(4)(d).
Could Any Exceptions Grant an Extension of Your Filing Deadline?
Florida Statutes § 95.051 notes that these circumstances could extend your filing deadline:
- You were hurt in a collision, and the at-fault party fled the scene.
- The negligent party left the state.
- You were under the age of 18 years old when you were hurt.
- You didn't discover your injuries until after the accident happened.
We don't want you to assume that any of these factors apply to your case. Even missing the deadline by one day could forfeit your right to damages.
What Types of Compensation Can I Receive After a Personal Injury Accident in Clearwater?
The most obvious cost of recovery after a personal injury in Clearwater is usually medical expenses, and they can be devastating. Depending on the injury, Clearwater accident victims often have to see many different doctors and healthcare professionals; all of them want to be paid, and often while you are not working due to your injuries.
You may have to go to the emergency room after your initial injury, visit specialists for particular body parts and problems, and follow up with chiropractors, primary care doctors, or other specialists. All healthcare providers charge for time, supplies, imaging, diagnostics, and many other medical expenses. Medical bills alone can become very costly.
Unfortunately, the expense doesn't end with the medical bills. In order to properly heal from serious injuries, you may need to take time off work; often, a lot of time. This can add up to days, weeks, or even months of lost wages. Once you are cleared to return to work, you may have to take off more unexpected time, especially if your injury causes you unexpected issues or you tire before the end of the day.
As an injury victim, you might need to attend follow-up appointments and treatments, often requiring even more time off work. The time you need off work to recover and visit doctors often means additional lost wages, income, and benefits.
Other costs that Clearwater injured victims often overlook include physical therapy, home modifications, special accommodations to their car, and expensive surgeries. Injured victims must also pay for gas to get to and from appointments, medications, and medical supplies like bandages, crutches, and the like.
The attorneys at Dolman Law Group can help you recover various forms of compensation, including:
- Medical expenses, both current and future
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Other related out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfingurement
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
The types and amounts of compensation you could receive depend on various factors, including the severity of your injuries, any damage caps imposed by the state, insurance coverage, and more. The lawyers at Dolman Law Group will carefully assess your claim and calculate the full amount of compensation you need to cover all costs of your injuries and losses.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Clearwater Personal Injury Attorney
Most personal injury lawyers, including those at Dolman Law Group, work on a contingency fee basis. This means we won't charge you anything upfront or send you monthly bills to represent you. Instead, we will handle all aspects of your case and take a percentage of your settlement or court award for our fees after all is said and done.
We begin with a free case evaluation. During this free meeting, we will discuss whether you have a viable personal injury claim and what your options are from there. We will also answer any questions that you may have.
Once you have made the decision to work with us, we will begin negotiating with the insurance companies to ensure you receive maximum compensation. If they are not willing to pay what you deserve, we are prepared to file a lawsuit.
At Dolman Law Group, we have a reputation with insurance companies for sticking to our word and filing an injury lawsuit if necessary. Insurance carriers know which firms will settle for pennies on the dollar and which firms mean business. We are the latter, and insurers take us seriously.
Hiring our Clearwater personal injury law firm means having the help of a skilled Clearwater injury lawyer at every step of the legal process. Dealing with insurance companies and court systems can be complicated and stressful. If you hire us, we will reduce that stress by handling as much of the process as possible. And the best part? It's free until we recover your money.
How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Clearwater Personal Injury Claim?
How long it takes to resolve a personal injury claim in Clearwater can vary widely depending on several factors. While some cases can be settled relatively quickly, others may take longer due to complexities and legal processes involved. Here are some factors that can influence the timeline of your personal injury claim:
- Severity of Injuries: The extent and severity of your injuries can impact the timeline. Cases involving more serious injuries may require longer periods of medical treatment and rehabilitation, which can extend the overall timeline.
- Medical Treatment: The duration of your medical treatment and recovery plays a significant role. It's generally advisable to wait until you've reached maximum medical improvement (MMI) before settling, as this allows for a more accurate assessment of your long-term medical needs and damages.
- Liability: If liability (fault) is clear and uncontested, it may speed up the process. However, if there are disputes about who is at fault, it could prolong negotiations or even lead to a lawsuit.
- Insurance Company: The responsiveness and willingness of the insurance company to negotiate and settle can impact the timeline. Some insurance companies may be more cooperative and efficient than others.
- Negotiations: The complexity of negotiations, the need for evidence gathering, and the willingness of both parties to come to an agreement can influence how long it takes to reach a settlement.
- Litigation: If a settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, filing a lawsuit and going through the litigation process can significantly extend the timeline. Litigation involves court procedures, discovery, and potentially a trial, which can take several months to years.
- Court Availability: If your case goes to trial, the availability of the court and the judge can affect how long it takes for your case to be heard.
- Multiple Parties: If there are multiple parties involved, such as in cases of multi-vehicle accidents, the process might become more complex and take longer to resolve.
- Your Goals: Your willingness to settle for a fair amount versus holding out for a larger settlement can influence how quickly the claim is resolved.
- Attorney Involvement: Having an experienced personal injury attorney can help streamline the process, as they can navigate negotiations, legal procedures, and paperwork efficiently.
Given these variables, it's difficult to provide an exact timeframe for resolving your personal injury claim. Some cases might be resolved in a few months, while others might take a year or more. Consulting with a personal injury attorney who is familiar with the local legal processes can provide you with a better estimate based on the specifics of your case. Keep in mind that it's important not to rush the process and to prioritize obtaining a fair and comprehensive settlement for your injuries and damages.
What If I'm Partially At Fault for Causing My Injuries--Can I Still Obtain Compensation?
In March 2023, Florida modified its comparative negligence rule and now only allows injured parties to recover damages if they are less than 50% at fault for causing their injuries. Additionally, the court may reduce the amount of compensation you will receive based on your percentage of fault below 50%.
For example, the court may find the defendant was 65% at fault but determines you were 35% at fault. In that case, you will only receive 65% of total damages.
The experienced Clearwater personal injury attorneys at Dolman Law Group will work tirelessly to hold the at-fault party completely liable for your injuries if possible. We will always fight to help you recover 100% of the compensation you deserve.
What Is the Personal Injury Claims Process in Clearwater?
The personal injury claims process involves a series of steps that individuals pursue to seek compensation for injuries and damages they've suffered due to someone else's negligence or wrongful actions. While the process can vary depending on the specifics of the case and the jurisdiction, here's a general outline of the personal injury claims process:
- Seek Medical Attention: If you're injured, your health is the top priority. Seek medical attention immediately, even if injuries seem minor. This also establishes a medical record of your injuries.
- Gather Evidence: Collect evidence that supports your claim. This includes photographs of the accident scene, vehicle damage, injuries, and any contributing factors. Also, keep records of medical bills, expenses, and any other relevant documentation.
- Report the Accident: Depending on the type of accident, report it to the appropriate authorities. For car accidents, contact the police. For other accidents, notify property owners or managers if applicable.
- Exchange Information: If other parties are involved, exchange contact and insurance information. Collect information from witnesses, if available.
- Notify Insurance Companies: Contact your insurance company to report the accident. If another party is at fault, notify their insurance company as well.
- Consult an Attorney: Consider consulting a personal injury attorney who specializes in cases like yours. An attorney can provide legal advice, assess the strength of your case, and guide you through the process.
- Investigation: Your attorney will investigate the accident, gather evidence, interview witnesses, and assess liability.
- Demand Letter: Your attorney may send a demand letter to the at-fault party's insurance company outlining the facts of the case, the extent of your injuries, and the compensation you are seeking.
- Negotiation: The insurance company will review your claim and may enter into negotiations with your attorney to reach a settlement. Negotiations can involve multiple rounds of back-and-forth discussions.
- Settlement: If a settlement is reached, you'll receive compensation for your injuries and damages. You'll likely need to sign a release form, which means you cannot sue the at-fault party later for the same incident.
- Lawsuit: If negotiations fail to produce a satisfactory settlement, your attorney may advise filing a lawsuit. This involves drafting and filing a formal complaint in court.
- Discovery: Both parties exchange information and evidence through the discovery process, which includes depositions, document requests, and interrogatories.
- Mediation: Before going to trial, parties often participate in mediation, where a neutral third party helps facilitate settlement discussions.
- Trial: If mediation fails, the case goes to trial. Both sides present their evidence, witnesses, and arguments. A judge or jury makes a decision.
- Verdict: If the case goes to trial, a verdict is reached. If you win, the court determines the compensation you'll receive.
- Appeals: Either party can appeal the decision if they believe there were legal errors during the trial.
Keep in mind that the personal injury claims process can be complex and time-consuming. The timeline can vary greatly based on factors like the severity of injuries, insurance company cooperation, legal procedures, and more. An experienced Clearwater personal injury attorney from Dolman Law Group can guide you through the process, help protect your rights, and work to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact a Clearwater Personal Injury Lawyer at Dolman Law Group For a Free Case Evaluation Today
When you are involved in a preventable accident, it can result in serious injuries and serious consequences. You may be facing hefty medical costs, diminishing income, permanent disabilities, and unknown future expenses and problems.
You may also experience substantial physical and emotional pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, mental anguish, and loss of companionship, among other more abstract damages. Thankfully, Florida law allows injury victims to be compensated for the economic and non-economic losses that they have endured as a result of an accident caused by someone else's negligence.
Hiring an attorney with extensive experience in personal injury law and who is willing to fully litigate each personal injury case can often help victims recover substantially more compensation than they would be able to recoup on their own.
If you have any other questions about your injury or want to schedule a free consultation with a Clearwater personal injury lawyer, don't wait any longer. With offices across both Florida coasts, you can easily reach Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, at (727) 451-6900 in Clearwater, or you can write to us using our online contact form. We look forward to hearing from you.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
800 N Belcher Rd
Clearwater, FL 33765
Phone: (727) 451-6900
*Disclaimer – Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA does not endorse these healthcare providers, and we do not profit from having them listed on our website.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “I would highly recommend anyone reach out to this auto accident firm in Clearwater, Florida. Matt Dolman has helped me in countless ways and his legal staff is bar none. When Matt wasn't available, Julie McGrath was always more than happy to lend a hand and I always felt taken care of.” - Keith N.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “I have known Matt Dolman and the Dolman Law Group for several years. They have always operated with the utmost of integrity and attention to detail. The quality of their work is very impressive and I recommend them without reservation.” - Daniel G.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ “AMAZING and understanding attorneys! Did great on my case and I highly recommend Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for anyone that has been injured in an accident!" - Koralis R.
Read more reviews on Google!
Clearwater Emergency Rooms
If you or a loved one suffered serious injuries in a Clearwater accident someone else cause, be sure to get immediate medical attention at any of the emergency rooms or urgent care centers in the area:
- HCA Florida Clearwater Emergency: 2339 Gulf to Bay Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33765
- Morton Plant Hospital- Cantonis Emergency Center: 300 Pinellas St, Clearwater, FL 33756
- Mease Countryside Hospital- Jacobsen Emergency Center: 3231 McMullen Booth Rd, Safety Harbor, FL 34695
- Mease Dunedin Hospital- Harris Emergency Room: 601 Main St, Dunedin, FL 34698
- Bay Area Emergency Physicians: 300 Pinellas St, Clearwater, FL 33756
*Disclaimer – Dolman Law Group does not endorse these medical centers, and we do not profit from having them listed on our website.
- Pinellas County Courthouse: 14450 49th St N, Clearwater, FL 33762
- Pinellas County Clerk of the Circuit Court Clearwater Courthouse: 315 Court St, Clearwater, FL 33756
- Old Pinellas County Courthouse: 315 Court St #170, Clearwater, FL 33756
- Pinellas County Clerk of the Circuit Court North County Branch Office: 29582 US Hwy 19 N First floor, Clearwater, FL 33761
- Pinellas County Clerk of the Circuit Court Division of Inspector General: 510 Bay Ave, Clearwater, FL 33756
Neighborhoods We Serve in Clearwater
Sand Key 33767, Clearwater Point 33767, Island Estates 33767, Old Clearwater Bay 33755, Misty Springs 33761, Sand Key Club 33767, Del Oro Groves 33759, Normandy Park Oaks 33756, Westchester Lake 33761, Viewpoint On The Bay 33756, Countryside Woods 33761, Pierce 100 33756, Oaks Of Northwood 33759, Sunshine Tower Apartment 33756, Countryside Northridge 33761, Charter Oaks 33763, Valencia Park 33763, Glenwood 33755, Sea Island 33767, Morningside/Meadows 33764