At Dolman Law Group, we have seen firsthand the devastating effects that a pedestrian accident can have on a Clearwater citizen. These collisions with pedestrians can cause life-threatening injuries, leading to immense physical pain and financial ruin from expensive medical bills, lost earning potential, and lifelong disabilities. We know the dangers posed by Clearwater’s intersections, such as those found on U.S. Highway 19, and have dedicated ourselves to helping those harmed in pedestrian accidents at sites such as these with filing pedestrian accident claims.
Dolman Law Group’s Clearwater pedestrian accident lawyers have worked closely with Clearwater victims to help them recover damages caused by severe injuries caused by motor vehicle collisions so that they can get their lives back on track. We can help you file a pedestrian accident claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company and if necessary, take the at-fault party to court to get you the compensation you deserve after your pedestrian accident. Contact Dolman Law Group today for a free consultation to determine whether we can help with your pedestrian accident claim.
- Why Choose Dolman Law Group for Your Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Claim
- Dolman Law Group Case Results
- Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Laws
- Where are Pedestrian Accidents Most Likely to Occur in Clearwater?
- What to Do After a Clearwater Pedestrian Accident
- Causes and Types of Clearwater Pedestrian Accidents
- Common Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Injuries
- Compensation for Damages Caused by Pedestrian Accident Injuries
- Why You Need an Attorney After a Clearwater Pedestrian Accident
- Frequently Asked Questions About Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Claims
- Contact Dolman Law Group For Help With Your Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Claim
Why Choose Dolman Law Group for Your Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Claim
Dolman Law Group has been assisting the victims of personal injuries in Florida for the past 17 years. With lawyers in Tampa, St. Petersberg, Clearwater, and more, we have committed to aiding personal injury victims across Florida. Our personal and professional legal help has led to our lawyers receiving awards and recognition as top Clearwater personal injury attorneys capable of assisting clients with getting maximum compensation after a pedestrian accident.
We understand how an insurance company may try to limit your settlement for a pedestrian accident claim. They may assert that you are at fault because you darted across a roadway or their client did not behave negligently. Dolman Law Group works tirelessly to address any complications in the personal injury process so we can help our clients receive fair compensation for their pedestrian accident injuries.
You can find one of our offices at 800 N Belcher Road in Clearwater, Florida. We are just a couple of blocks away from Coachman Ridge Park.
Dolman Law Group Case Results
Dolman Law Group has helped many personal injury victims receive compensation for their injuries. The following are some of the results we have accrued for our clients:
- $6,700,000 in a Wrongful Death Case
- $5,000,000 in a Car Accident Resulting in Burn Injuries
- $1,000,000 in Car Accident Resolution
- $425,000 in Lower Back Injury After Car Accident
Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Laws
Florida Statute 316.130 dictates how a pedestrian should act when traversing through traffic. The following are some of the main rules for pedestrians and drivers to follow:
- A pedestrian must follow all traffic control signals unless otherwise directed by a police officer.
- Pedestrians must use sidewalks and cannot walk on the roadway unless a sidewalk is not present. If there is not a sidewalk, a pedestrian must walk along the shoulder on the left side of the roadway.
- A pedestrian cannot stand in the roadway to solicit a ride from a vehicle. They also cannot stand in the roadway during the parking of a vehicle or to guard a vehicle.
- Drivers at an intersection must yield to pedestrians given the right-of-way by a traffic control signal. They also must yield to pedestrians at stop signs.
- Drivers must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians at crosswalks without traffic control signals or proper signage.
- When a vehicle stops at an intersection or crosswalks, other vehicles approaching from the rear cannot pass the stopped vehicle.
- Pedestrians must yield the right-of-way to vehicles unless a traffic signal determines it is their time to pass.
- A pedestrian can only cross at an intersection in places with traffic lights on both sides.
- Pedestrians must cross a crosswalk at a right angle or whatever path is shortest. They should only travel along the right half of the crosswalk.
Where are Pedestrian Accidents Most Likely to Occur in Clearwater?
According to Smart Growth America's recent Dangerous by Design report, the Tampa-St. Petersberg-Clearwater metropolitan area ranked as the eighth most dangerous metropolitan area in the United States. Between 2010 and 2019, there were 968 pedestrian fatalities in the area.
The following are some of the dangerous intersections in Clearwater where pedestrian accidents can be hit by a car:
- S.R. 60 @ Belcher Road
- U.S. Highway 19 @ Drew Street
- Fort Harrison Avenue @ Chestnut Street
- U.S. Highway 19 @ Gulf to Bay Blvd
- SR 686 @ 34th St N
What to Do After a Clearwater Pedestrian Accident
If you were involved in a Clearwater pedestrian accident, you should receive medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible. After receiving medical care for your pedestrian injuries, you may wonder what you can do to recover damages from a negligent driver. The following are some of the steps you should take following a Clearwater pedestrian accident:
- Write down an account of the accident: The brain has a remarkable ability to ‘blank out’ during stressful moments, so write down everything you can remember. That can include where the accident occurred, who was there, how the accident happened, etc. This information is invaluable for your legal team.
- Collect essential records: You will need vital records to help prove the at-fault party’s liability. You should keep a copy of the traffic report, your medical records, and any other pieces of significant written material.
- Continue your medical treatment: You may still suffer from pedestrian accident injuries after returning home from the hospital. Continue your medical treatment until you recover from your injuries.
- Recruit a pedestrian accident lawyer: Hiring a pedestrian accident attorney well-versed in pedestrian accident claims can help remove the legal burden of your case. They will advise you of your next steps as you focus on recovering from your pedestrian injuries.
Causes and Types of Clearwater Pedestrian Accidents
Distracted driving habits like texting, changing the radio station, or eating takes the driver's focus away from the road. Drivers may fail to follow a traffic signal or properly examine intersections for crossing pedestrians. Some other reckless driving actions that can cause a pedestrian accident include speeding, drunk driving, or failing to yield a stopped school bus.
The following are some of the types of pedestrian accidents caused by reckless driving actions:
- Intersection Accidents: An intersection accident occurs when a pedestrian has the signal to use the crosswalk, but the driver ignores the traffic signal. They can cause a traffic crash that involves a pedestrian by blowing through a crosswalk with a pedestrian walking across.
- Passing Accidents: When a school bus stops, all traffic must yield to allow students to cross the street safely. A passing accident occurs when a driver disobeys this law and strikes a student crossing the street.
- Backup Accidents: A backup accident involves a driver backing up into a pedestrian. This type of accident typically occurs in a parking lot. The driver is at-fault for hitting a pedestrian by backing up without looking.
- “Trapped” Pedestrian Accidents: A traffic signal can change in the middle of a pedestrian using a crosswalk. A driver may see the signal change and drive through the crosswalk, colliding with a pedestrian still passing through.
Common Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Injuries
A pedestrian is vulnerable when struck by a motor vehicle because the pedestrian has no protection to cushion the blow. The amount of impact and pressure generated by a motor vehicle striking a pedestrian can lead to a severe injury.
The following are some of the injuries you can suffer from a Clearwater pedestrian accident:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Soft tissue injuries
- Herniated discs
- Torn tendons and cartilage
- Internal injuries, such as damage to the kidney, spleen, or liver
Dolman Law Group can help coordinate with your doctor about your injuries and how much the recovery process costs. Our pedestrian accident lawyers will shape your claims process based on the timeline for your injury recovery.
Compensation for Damages Caused by Pedestrian Accident Injuries
The damages caused by a pedestrian accident can lead to a dire financial situation for the victim. According to a study done by the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, pedestrian accident injuries caused by motor vehicles can cost about $135,000.
Not many people can pay over $100,000 for medical treatments for injuries. Those that have suffered severe damages in a pedestrian accident can seek compensation by filing a pedestrian accident claim with the at-fault party's insurance company.
A pedestrian accident lawyer can prove the at-fault party's liability and connect their negligence to your injuries. This is essential for your case and towards receiving a settlement to cover your medical expenses and other damages. The amount of compensation you could receive from a successful pedestrian accident claim depends on several factors:
- How severe are your injuries
- How do your injuries impact your daily life
- Whether you can make a full recovery from the injuries
- How do your injuries affect your ability to make a living
Common Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Damages
The following are some of the types of damages you can receive compensation for from a successful pedestrian accident claim:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Disability costs
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs
Why You Need an Attorney After a Clearwater Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrian accidents can cause a severe, life-altering injury that can require months of recovery. You can focus on your recovery, and getting your life back on track by hiring a pedestrian accident attorney to handle your case. A skilled attorney can use their vast experience to determine the best path forward for your claim and help with relieving some of the burdens that come with handling your case.
The following are some of the ways a personal injury attorney can help you with your pedestrian accident claim:
- Draft the demand letter: A demand letter lets the at-fault party's insurance company know that you are pursuing compensation. Your attorney can write the demand letter and include all the pertinent information. The letter can include what damages you seek, why the at-fault party is liable, a summary of injuries suffered, etc.
- Collect evidence: You will need evidence to prove the at-fault party's liability. Your attorney can collect this evidence, including video footage, photos, ticket records, arrest records, vehicle accident reconstructions, etc.
- Interview witnesses: Witnesses are valuable for your pedestrian accident claim. A witness at the scene can attest to the negligent actions of the at-fault party. An expert witness can testify to whether the accident could cause the injuries you suffered. Your attorney can track down these witnesses, interview them, and determine whether they can help your case.
- Negotiate the settlement: Your attorney can negotiate a settlement for your damages with the at-fault party's insurance company. An insurance company will try to limit your settlement to keep their profits up. It would be best to have an experienced attorney protect you from bad faith tactics.
- Represent you in court: If your attorney and the insurance company cannot settle, the case will head to trial. Your pedestrian accident attorney can represent you by presenting your defense, showing evidence, proving the at-fault party's liability, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions About Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Claims
The following are some frequently asked questions about pedestrian accidents and the claims process:
Where do pedestrian accidents occur?
While many people think that pedestrian accidents mostly happen at intersections, recent data show this idea to be untrue. A recent National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study showed that about 75% of pedestrian accidents occur at locations other than intersections. Pedestrians must be wary of reckless drivers everywhere they walk. They can be hit by motor vehicles in parking lots, outside of a bus, or walking along the side of a road.
What is the statute of limitations of a pedestrian accident claim?
The statute of limitations of a pedestrian accident does not differ from that of a general personal injury claim. According to Florida Statute 95.11, all personal injury claims have a statute of limitations of four years. You must file your claim within four years of when the accident occurred.
Does no-fault insurance apply to a pedestrian accident?
Florida is a no-fault state, which means all citizens must purchase personal injury protection insurance. PIP insurance can cover up to $10,000 worth of economic damages.
Although it typically covers car accident damages, PIP insurance can cover damages caused by a pedestrian accident. If you have PIP insurance, you can receive compensation for economic damages caused by a pedestrian accident.
Contact Dolman Law Group For Help With Your Clearwater Pedestrian Accident Claim
It is easy for pedestrian accident victims to push litigation and insurance claims to the back burner. They must deal with intense physical pain, medical expenses, and lost wages. An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer can help ease the burden of the legal process and put you on the path to receiving compensation for your injuries.
Dolman Law Group's experienced pedestrian accident lawyers will assist you in pursuing compensation from the at-fault party's insurance company by collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, and negotiating the settlement. Allow our diligent pedestrian accident lawyers to help you by using the legal techniques that have made us one of Florida's most renowned personal injury law firms.
At Dolman Law Group, we offer free consultations to allow potential clients to see how our lawyers can help them. You can visit our Clearwater office at 800 N Belcher Road. You can also call us at 833-55-CRASH or leave us a message on our online contact page.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
800 N Belcher Rd
Clearwater, FL 33765
Phone: (727) 451-6900