Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Motorcycle riders are at significant risk of suffering a severe injury because a motorcycle does not provide adequate protection. Without the structure of a car to protect them, a motorcycle rider’s body parts are exposed to impact from a collision. All it takes for a motorcyclist to experience grave consequences is one driver that makes a reckless decision like switching lanes without looking.
A motorcyclist can suffer from broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, neck injuries, abrasions, and more when they are involved in a motorcycle crash. A motorcycle accident can leave a victim having to handle steep medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Injured bikers often face an uphill battle after a motorcycle accident as they face their recovery and getting their affairs back in order while dealing with adjusters and the insurance company. Insurance companies can have unfair biases against motorcyclists that cause them to push back against motorcycle accident claims and lawsuits. They may try to pin the blame on the biker to absolve themselves of any liability.
At Dolman Law Group, our experienced Florida motorcycle accident lawyers know how to handle insurance companies that may try to take advantage of your right to fair compensation. We believe that motorcyclists deserve maximum compensation after a severe accident and we work tirelessly to ensure that happens. Dolman Law Group can help you file a motorcycle accident claim to pay for medical bills, property damage, disability costs, and more.
Why Choose Dolman Law Group’s Motorcycle Accident Attorneys?
- Did you suffer a severe injury in a motorcycle accident?
- Are you getting the runaround from insurance adjusters?
- Are you worried that you won’t have enough money to pay for your medical expenses?
- Put Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys to Work For You
At Dolman Law Group, we work quickly and efficiently for injured motorcyclists and their families. From the moment you step into our office, you will receive the personalized attention and support you deserve. Despite being a large law firm, we take the time to listen to our clients and their stories.
We want to hear how your accident and injuries have affected your life. Our motorcycle accident attorneys want to know your fears and worries and how we can work to offer you peace of mind through our award-winning legal representation.
Let’s face it, after a motorcycle accident, it is difficult to find the energy to deal with insurance companies and creditors when you are still recuperating from your injuries. If you suffered a severe injury, you should dedicate your time and energy to your recovery.
While you focus on your recovery, let us take the legal burdens off your shoulders. Our law firm has the resources and experience to tackle even the most complex injury cases. We are not afraid to take insurance companies to trial when necessary in order to get you the compensation we believe you are owed. Let us do what we do best, so you can return to riding again.
How Can Dolman Law Group Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim?
Dolman Law Group offers our clients more than just legal advice and representation. Our legal team will work closely with you through every step of the motorcycle accident claim process. This means assisting you with determining who is liable for your damages and what strategy to take to receive maximum compensation.
Our firm also assists in the investigation of your accident, getting the assistance of expert witnesses, handling court paperwork, etc. Your attorney will also be at your side, representing your best interests and ensuring you are not taken advantage of. They will contact the insurance company to notify them of your demands, negotiate a settlement, and represent you in a trial. This happens with award-winning skill and experience honed by years of successful litigation on behalf of clients.
To better assist you, our law firm offers FREE initial consultations and reviews. Even if you aren’t sure you have a case, we want to take the time to talk with you and help you explore all your legal options.
Call us today to learn how we can help you after a severe motorcycle crash. We help bikers and families across Florida put their lives back together again after a motorcycle accident. Call today at 833-55-CRASH or leave us a message on our online contact page.
Dolman Law Group Motorcycle Accident Case Results
Dolman Law Group has assisted many Florida motorcycle accident victims to recover compensation for damages. We have diligently aided their pursuit of compensation by proving the at-fault party behaved negligently and caused an accident as well as our clients’ injuries.
A motorcycle accident claim can take a long time, but we are dedicated to standing by your side no matter the obstacles in the way of your receiving compensation. When you hire Dolman Law Group, our firm takes a vested interest in the outcome of your case and stakes our reputation as one of Florida’s preeminent law firms on its outcome.
We will dedicate our time to getting you results, so your life can come as close as possible to what it was before the crash. Our motorcycle accident lawyers will negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company and see the case to trial if necessary.
The following are some of the results of cases involving injured motorcyclists:
- $1.4 Million for a Motorcycle Accident Resulting in Multiple Serious Injuries
- $1 Million for a Motorcycle Accident That Caused a TBI
- $750 Thousand for a Motorcycle Accident That Caused A Subdural Hematoma Along With A Rotator Cuff Shoulder Injury
- $415 Thousand for a Motorcycle Accident That Required Cervical Fusion
- $320,000 Thousand for a Motorcycle Accident That Required Cervical Spine Fusion Surgery
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Several conditions can lead to a motorcycle accident. Road conditions can lead to a driver or motorcyclist losing control of their vehicle and causing a collision. A driver may also engage in negligent driving behavior that causes them to crash into a motorcyclist and cause severe injuries.
The following are some of the causes of vehicle collisions involving a motorcycle:
- Distracted driving: A driver can lose focus while behind the wheel, leading to a motorcycle crash. They can lose control of their vehicle, miss a stop, and collide with motorcyclists. Distracted driving can involve cognitive, visual, and manual distractions. This can include eating, talking on the phone, looking at your GPS, or focusing on something other than driving.
- Drunk driving: Driving while drunk can lead to cognitive issues that cause the driver to go faster than the speed limit, swerve, lose control of their vehicle, and not follow road signs. A lack of attention to detail can cause a driver to crash into a motorcycle and cause a severe injury.
- Speeding: Drivers must obey the posted speed limit to avoid going too fast and crashing into another vehicle. Speeding can make it harder to make sharp turns and stop at stop signs and traffic lights. It can lead to a driver not being able to stop behind a stopped motorcycle and cause rear-end collision.
- Dooring accidents: Dooring occurs when a driver opens their parked vehicle’s door without checking for oncoming traffic. The door can strike a motorcyclist and cause them to fall off their bike. This can cause a traumatic brain injury, facial injury, or broken bones.
- Failure to check blind spots: Drivers must check their blind spots to ensure any lane change or pull-out doesn’t involve driving their car into another vehicle. Without checking blind spots, a driver may not perceive a motor vehicle in their way. This can lead to the driving their car into a motorcyclist and causing a catastrophic injury.
Where Do Most Motorcycle Accidents in Florida Occur?
It can be enticing to take a motorcycle out for a ride in many places in Florida. For example, the many interstates that run through Florida have large stretches of open road where someone can ride their bike unimpeded by turns and traffic lights. The roads that run along the Atlantic Ocean, such as Florida State Road A1A, can provide tremendous views for motorcyclists.
However, just because Florida can accommodate motorcyclists does not mean there isn’t danger. Motorcyclists still have to be wary of reckless drivers sharing the road with them. Motorcyclists are at an increased risk of a devastating crash on Florida interstates, such as I-4, I-75, and I-95. These interstates have high traffic density and speed limits, which can be catastrophic for motorcyclists.
All it takes for a motorcycle accident to occur is for one driver to act recklessly behind the wheel. Reckless driving and negligent behavior in general while behind the wheel dramatically increase the chance of a collision that can leave the motorcyclist with catastrophic injuries. On a road with heavy traffic density, be wary of the drivers around you and stay focused on riding your motorcycle safely.
Understand the Motorcycle Laws in Florida
Each state has its own set of laws that govern the behavior of motorcyclists. Knowing and obeying all traffic laws in your state is an essential first step in preventing the worst from happening.
Florida Statute 316.2085 lays down the general rules all motorcycle riders must abide by. The following are some of the rules enclosed in the statute:
- A person riding a motorcycle must sit on the seat attached to the vehicle.
- Two people may not ride on a motorcycle simultaneously unless there is a designed second seat. It is illegal for two people to share one seat on a motorcycle.
- The motorcyclist must stay firmly seated the whole time they operate the motorcycle. The bike’s two wheels must always remain on the ground. A motorcycle’s wheels can only lose contact with the ground due to conditions outside the motorcyclist’s control.
- The license tag of the motorcycle must remain attached to the rear of the vehicle at all times.
- A person riding a motorcycle must always keep both hands on the handlebars. It is prohibited to carry a package, bundle, or other objects that prevents both hands from being on the steering wheel.
- A person under 16 may not rent a motorcycle or operate one with a motor of more than 150 cubic centimeter displacement.
The following are the rules for equipment motorcycle riders must wear according to Florida Statute 316.211:
- A person cannot operate a motorcycle unless they wear the proper protective headgear.
- All motorcycle riders must wear protective eye gear. This can include goggles, protective eyeglasses, or a face shield.
- A motorcycle rider over 21 is not required to wear a helmet if they have an insurance policy that can cover at least $10,000 worth of damages.
- A person under 21 must wear a helmet while operating a motorcycle.
Reported Motorcycle Accidents Involving Injuries in Florida
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accident injuries are caused by the pressure applied by the crash’s impact. Injury can also result from your body flying from the bike and colliding with a heavy object. A motorcycle collision can also result in an injury from your body crushing between two heavy objects.
The following are some of the injuries you can suffer from the impact of a motorcycle accident:
- Road rash: A motorcycle accident can hurl your body from the bike and cause it to skid across the ground. The pavement, dirt, gravel, or other surface types can tear your skin and lead to a friction burn or skin abrasion.
- Broken bones: The impact of a motorcycle accident can fling you from your motorcycle and bring you into contact with hard surfaces. A collision with other objects, vehicles, and the road can lead to a bone fracture.
- Spinal cord injuries: Intense pressure applied to the back can damage the spinal cord and vertebrae. A spinal cord injury can result in muscle weakness, breathing problems, and paralysis of the arms and legs.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): Blunt force trauma or penetrating trauma caused by a motorcycle crash can damage the brain. This damage can lead to a traumatic brain injury, such as a concussion, brain hemorrhage, or coup-contrecoup brain injury. Traumatic brain injuries can have devastating consequences, such as paralysis, poor coordination, difficulty speaking, and changes in the five senses.
- Crush injuries: The pressure applied to a body part by a motorcycle crash can crush that body part. A crush injury can lead to bleeding, bruising, and compartment syndrome. A crushed body part can sometimes be beyond medical treatment, which may require amputation surgery.
What to do After a Florida Motorcycle Accident?
You may not be sure how to proceed in the aftermath of a Florida motorcycle accident. Should you focus on your recovery or invest time and effort into pursuing compensation? The following are some of the steps you should take following a Florida motorcycle accident.
Seek Medical Treatment for Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The most vital aspect of your post-accident life is seeking medical treatment. You need to focus on your recovery to attempt to restore your life back to normal. You can recover from your severe injuries by going to the hospital following the motorcycle wreck and continuing medical treatment.
You also cannot receive total compensation for your medical bills until you know how much they will cost. If you try to focus on the claim early on, you will not know the total cost of your treatment. It’s essential to recover from your injuries before you decide to settle so that you can receive the maximum possible settlement.
Write Down What Happened During the Motorcycle Accident
It can be challenging to keep track of all the elements of a motorcycle accident months after it occurred. You should write down what happened as soon as possible to ensure you have the most in-depth account. These details should include when it happened, where it happened, who was involved, and what injuries you suffered.
If you go to trial, you will need to attest to these details in front of a jury. The defendant’s lawyer will try to catch you in a lie, so keeping a record of the details can help you in the long run.
Keep Track of Vital Motorcycle Accident Documentation
To receive compensation for your damages, you will need to prove the at-fault party’s negligent driving behavior caused the damages. Necessary documentation, such as medical records, crash reports, and police reports, can go a long way in helping to prove their liability.
These documents can provide a timeline of the accident and injuries you suffered. A traffic crash report with a similar timeline to medical records can draw a connection between the accident and your injuries. A police report can include the damage to your vehicle and possibly include information proving liability.
Hire a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Although you can handle the motorcycle accident claims process yourself, an experienced motorcycle crash attorney can help ease the burden. You will not have the same expertise to handle tricky legal procedures as a motorcycle accident lawyer will. They can use their knowledge to put you in a position to receive compensation while you focus on your recovery.
Dolman Law Group is one such motorcycle accident law firm that can provide sound legal counsel. We have helped Florida motor vehicle accident victims for over 17 years. We have experienced motorcycle accident attorneys that can apply that experience to your case to help you recover damages.
What Motorcycle Accident Damages Can You Pursue Compensation For?
If you were involved in an accident while riding your motorcycle, you could pursue compensation for devastating damages. In order to seek compensation for damages inflicted by a motorcycle accident, you can file a motorcycle crash claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company. A motorcycle accident attorney can assist you by assessing your damages and determining how much you could receive for each damage. They can also help you prove the at-fault party’s liability, meaning you can receive compensation for the damages they caused.
The following are some of the damages you can pursue compensation for:
- Medical bills for emergency and continuing care
- Loss of income due to time off work
- Lost earning potential
- Financial costs for replacement or repairs of your motorcycle
- Disability costs
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents
There are a vast number of ways that a person can get involved in an accident when riding a motorcycle. Motorcycle accidents typically result from reckless driving behavior, such as distracted driving, drunk driving, and speeding. Different types of motorcycle accidents have different factors that contribute to their occurrence and possible damages they can inflict.
The following are some of the most common types of motorcycle accidents:
Head-on Motorcycle Collisions
A head-on collision is when two vehicles moving in opposite directions crash into each other. This crash is one of the most dangerous types of motorcycle crashes because a front-end collision can result in a car directly impacting a motorcyclist’s body. It can also result in the motorcycle rider flying from their bike into the car’s windshield that hit them, possibly causing cuts and abrasions from broken glass.
Motorcyclists involved in these accidents typically suffer injuries with catastrophic effects, leading to months of recovery and expensive medical care. If a driver crashed into your motorcycle through negligent driving behavior, you could file a motorcycle accident claim to recover compensation for the immense damages you suffered.
Left-Turn Motorcycle Accidents
Cars commonly hit a motorcyclist at a left turn because motorists often fail to recognize a motorcyclist’s right of way. A left-turn motorcycle crash can occur when a turning vehicle hits a motorcycle going straight through, collides with a motorcycle waiting for a light, or strikes a motorcycle crossing by ignoring a stop sign.
Vehicles typically have to slow down when turning at an intersection, so this type of accident has a lower impact. However, it can still cause a motorcyclist to fly from their vehicle, leading to severe injuries.
Lane-Switching Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles can easily slip into the blind spots of a larger vehicle. This can lead to catastrophic accidents when motorists fail to check their blind spots before changing lanes. Lack of motorcyclist visibility is one of the most significant contributors to motorcycle accidents.
A driver can miss a motorcycle in a blind spot and change lanes right into them. The velocity and impact caused by this collision can lead to devastating damages.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Help You?
The average person may not know the best process for seeking damages for motorcycle crash injuries. This is why they should hire an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. With the help of a motorcycle accident lawyer, you can get a leg up in working toward recovering damages.
The following are some of the ways a motorcycle accident attorney can help you:
- Assess the damages: Before you can recover damages, you need to know the total compensation you are looking for. An experienced motorcycle crash attorney can assess your case to determine what damages you should seek. They can communicate with your doctor, boss, and motorcycle repairs technician to see how much your damages could cost. Once you and your lawyer decide upon a fair figure, they can draft a demand letter to begin the claims process.
- Collect evidence: You must prove the at-fault party’s liability to receive compensation for your damages. Proving liability requires tangible proof that establishes negligent driving behavior led to the accident. Your lawyer can use their resources to collect evidence, such as videos of the accident, witness testimonies, and vehicle accident reconstructions.
- Assist with insurance adjusters: Once you file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company, the insurance company will send out an insurance adjuster. An insurance adjuster’s job is to find information to limit your settlement. Your lawyer can help counteract their attempts to minimize your potential payout. They can advise you on how to handle an in-person meeting with the adjuster.
- Negotiate the settlement: Negotiating a settlement can be tricky because the insurance company will employ tactics to reduce your potential settlement. A motorcycle accident lawyer can combat these bad faith tactics and negotiate a fair settlement for your incurred damages.
Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycle Accident Claims
Following a motorcycle accident, you may feel underprepared for all the demanding aspects of the legal process you will need to take part in to pursue compensation for your damages. You need to have all the information relevant to your motorcycle accident information and the claims process necessary to make the right choice for your representation.
The following are some of the frequently asked questions about motorcycle accident claims:
How Do I Find The Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyer For My Case?
You need to find a motorcycle crash attorney with experience in motorcycle accident cases. You should concern yourself with your attorney’s credentials, experience, knowledge, and ability to win your case. You need legal representation that has your best interests in mind and the resources to handle your case.
Do your due diligence to find a Florida motorcycle accident lawyer with the experience necessary to win your motorcycle accident claim. Take advantage of free consultations to find the lawyer that offers the best legal advice.
At Dolman Law Group, our team will apply our experience litigating motorcycle accident cases to put you in a position to succeed. We will assess your damages, determine what compensation you should seek, and help prove the at-fault party’s liability. We will stand by you through the process, so you can restore your life to where it was.
Are Mopeds Considered Motorcycles?
Many Florida civilians may ride a moped, which can leave them susceptible to a crash involving a motor vehicle. Some may wonder whether a moped rider has the same level of rights as a motorcycle rider. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, any vehicle with a seat for a rider with less than three wheels is considered a motorcycle.
Despite falling under this classification, Florida law does not recognize a moped as a motorcycle. This means they have their own classification, with their own set of rules that distinguishes them from a motorcycle. Moped riders must be at least 16 years old and carry a Class E driver’s license.
If you were on a moped when a driver crashed into you, a personal injury lawyer could still help you recover compensation. They can help you receive compensation for your moped accident damages by providing evidence proving the at-fault party’s liability.
Can You Recover Damages from a Lane-Splitting Accident?
Lane-splitting is the act of a motorcyclist driving between two lanes of traffic on the white lane dividing them. This practice allows motorcycle riders to move past slower-moving vehicles and navigate traffic more quickly. Although it can help motorcyclists commute, the practice is not legal in Florida.
Florida law states that a motorcycle rider cannot occupy the area between lanes of traffic. This is the case to prevent a vehicle from encountering resistance when attempting to change lanes. It helps protect drivers and motorcycle riders from colliding with each other.
If you were involved in a lane-splitting accident, you could still attempt to pursue compensation from the other driver. Although you share liability in causing the accident by committing an illegal act, the other driver can share partial liability if they committed reckless driving that helped cause the accident.
You will not receive the same compensation as if you were driving in the proper lane. Still, your motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation by proving the at-fault party shared liability. You can receive compensation for the shared role they had in causing the accident.
Contact Dolman Law Group for Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
Having the best possible legal representation for a motorcycle accident claim is essential. A top-notch motorcycle accident attorney can allow you to focus on your recovery. They can handle the claims process while you follow your doctor’s plan to recover from your severe motorcycle accident injury.
At Dolman Law Group, our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers will apply their in-depth knowledge to work toward securing you the best possible compensation. We will prove the at-fault party’s negligence, collect evidence to strengthen your case, and negotiate a fair settlement. Dolman Law Group is committed to handling your motorcycle accident injury claim and advancing the case into litigation if the insurance carrier refuses to evaluate the claim fairly.