Motorcycle riders are at significant risk of suffering severe injuries because a motorcycle does not provide much protection during a crash. Without the structure of a car to protect them, a motorcycle rider's body parts are exposed to impact from collisions with motor vehicles. All it takes for a motorcyclist to experience grave consequences is one driver making reckless decisions like switching lanes without looking.
A motorcyclist can suffer from broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, neck injuries, abrasions, and more when they are involved in a motorcycle crash. A motorcycle accident can leave a victim struggling with steep medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Injured bikers often face an uphill battle after car accidents as they face their recovery and getting their affairs back in order while dealing with insurance adjusters.
Sadly, insurance companies can have unfair biases against motorcyclists that cause them to resist motorcycle accident claims and lawsuits. They may try to pin the blame on the biker to absolve their company of any liability. Thus, hiring an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer is imperative to protect your rights after a collision.
At Dolman Law Group, our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers know how to deal with insurance companies that try to take advantage of your right to fair compensation following a serious accident. We believe that motorcyclists deserve maximum compensation after a severe accident, and we'll work tirelessly to ensure that happens. Dolman Law Group can help you file a motorcycle accident injury claim to pay for medical bills, property damage, disability costs, and more.
- Why Dolman Law Group's Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Succeed
- How Can Dolman Law Group Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim?
- Dolman Law Group Motorcycle Accident Case Results
- What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
- Where Do Most Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
- Understand the Motorcycle Laws
- Reported Motorcycle Accidents Involving Injuries
- Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
- What to do After a Motorcycle Accident?
- Motorcycle Accident Laws
- What Motorcycle Accident Damages Can You Pursue Compensation For?
- Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident FAQs
- Contact a Motorcycle Accident Attorney for Help With Your Accident Claim
- Why Choose Dolman Law Group's Motorcycle Injury Lawyers?
- Reach Out To a Motorcycle Accident Attorney For a Free Consultation
Why Dolman Law Group's Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Succeed
- Did you suffer a severe injury in a motorcycle accident?
- Are you getting the runaround from insurance adjusters?
- Are you worried that you won't have enough money to pay for your medical expenses?
- Put Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys to Work For You
At Dolman Law Group, we work quickly and efficiently for injured motorcyclists and their families. From the moment you step into our office, you will receive the personalized attention and support you deserve from an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. We take the time to listen to our clients and their stories. The vast majority of our business is referred to us by very satisfied former and current clients who appreciate our personal attention.
We want to understand how your accident and injuries have affected your life. Our personal injury attorneys want to know your fears and worries and how we can work to offer you peace of mind through our award-winning legal representation.
After a motorcycle accident, we know it is difficult to find the energy to deal with insurance companies and creditors when you are still recuperating from your injuries. If you suffered a severe injury, you should dedicate your time and energy to your recovery.
While you focus on your recovery, let us take the legal burdens off your shoulders. Our law firm has the resources and experience to tackle even the most complex injury cases. We are not afraid to take your motorcycle accident lawsuit to trial if necessary to recover the compensation you are owed. Let us do what we do best, so you can return to riding again.
How Can Dolman Law Group Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim?
We offer our clients more than just legal advice and representation. Our auto accident law firm will work closely with you through every step of the motorcycle accident claim process. This means assisting you with determining who is liable for your damages and what strategy will help you receive maximum compensation.
Our motorcycle accident attorneys assist in the investigation of your accident, retaining expert witnesses (including accident reconstructionists), handling court paperwork, and much more. Your attorney will also be at your side, representing your best interests and ensuring you are not taken advantage of. They will contact the insurance company with your demands, try to negotiate a fair settlement, or represent you in a trial. Our team brings award-winning skills and experience honed by years of successful litigation on behalf of motorcycle accident victim after accident victim.
Our law firm offers FREE initial consultations and reviews to assist you better. Even if you aren't sure you have a case, we want to take the time to talk with you and help you explore all your legal options.
Call us today to learn how we can help you after a severe motorcycle crash. We help injured bikers and families across Florida put their lives back together again after a motorcycle accident. Call today at 833-55-CRASH or leave us a message on our online contact page.
Dolman Law Group Motorcycle Accident Case Results
Dolman Law Group has assisted many motorcycle accident victims recover compensation for their damages. We have diligently advocated for our clients by proving the at-fault parties behaved negligently and caused an accident that caused our clients' injuries.
A motorcycle injury case can take a long time, but we are dedicated to standing by your side no matter the obstacles in the way of your receiving compensation. When you hire Dolman Law Group, our firm takes a vested interest in your case and stakes our reputation as one of Florida's preeminent law firms on your outcome.
We will dedicate our time to getting you results, so your life can return to what it was before the crash as much as possible. Our motorcycle accident lawyers will negotiate a fair settlement with the other party's insurance company or see the case to trial if necessary.
The following are some of our case results involving injured motorcyclists:
- $2.6 Million for a motorcycle injury claim where the victim's head impact was so substantial it cracked his motorcycle helmet and caused a subdural hematoma.
- $1.4 Million for a motorcycle accident case resulting in multiple serious injuries.
- $1 Million for a motorcycle accident claim where our client sustained a traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- $750 Thousand for a Motorcycle Accident that caused a subdural hematoma along with a rotator cuff shoulder injury.
- $950 Thousand for a motorcycle accident that resulted in a one-level cervical fusion at C2-3
- $820,000 Thousand on behalf of an injured motorcyclist that required cervical spine fusion surgery
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Several situations can lead to a motorcycle wreck. For example, motorcycle accidents frequently occur when road conditions cause a driver or motorcyclist to lose control of their vehicle. A driver may also engage in negligent driving behavior that causes them to crash into a motorcyclist and cause severe injuries that lead to motor vehicle accident claims.
The following are some of the causes of vehicle collisions involving a motorcycle:
- Distracted driving: A driver can lose focus while behind the wheel, leading to a motorcycle crash. Distracted driving can involve cognitive, visual, and manual distractions. This can include eating, talking on the phone, looking at your GPS, or focusing on something other than driving.
- Drunk driving: Driving while drunk can lead to cognitive issues that cause the driver to go faster than the speed limit, swerve, lose control of their vehicle, and not follow road signs. A lack of attention to detail can cause a driver to crash into a motorcycle and cause a severe injury.
- Speeding: Drivers must obey the posted speed limit to avoid going too fast and crashing into another vehicle. Speeding can make it harder to make sharp turns and stop at stop signs and traffic lights. It can lead to a driver not being able to stop behind a stopped motorcycle and cause a rear-end collision.
- Dooring accidents: Dooring occurs when a driver opens their parked vehicle's door without checking for oncoming traffic. The door can strike a motorcyclist and cause them to fall off their bike. This can cause a traumatic brain injury, facial injury, or broken bones.
- Failure to check blind spots: Drivers must check their blind spots to ensure any lane change or pull-out doesn't involve driving their car into another vehicle. Without checking blind spots, a driver may not perceive a motor vehicle in their way. This can lead to the driving their car into a motorcyclist and causing a catastrophic injury.
Where Do Most Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
It can be enticing to take a motorcycle out for a ride in many places in Florida. For example, the many interstates that run through Florida have large stretches of open roads where someone can ride their bike unimpeded by turns and traffic lights. The roads that run along the Atlantic Ocean, such as Florida State Road A1A, can provide tremendous views for motorcyclists.
However, just because Florida can accommodate motorcyclists does not mean there isn't danger. Motorcyclists still have to be wary of reckless drivers sharing the road with them. Motorcyclists are at an increased risk of devastating crashes on Florida interstates, such as I-4, I-75, and I-95. These interstates have more traffic density and higher speed limits, which can be catastrophic for motorcyclists.
All it takes for a motorcycle accident to occur is for one driver to act recklessly behind the wheel. Reckless driving and negligent behavior in general while behind the wheel dramatically increase the chance of a collision that can leave the motorcyclist with catastrophic injuries.
Understand the Motorcycle Laws
Each state has its own set of laws that govern the behavior of motorcyclists. Knowing and obeying all traffic laws in your state is an essential first step in preventing the worst from happening.
Florida Statute 316.2085 lays down the general rules all motorcycle riders must abide by. The following are some of the rules enclosed in the statute:
- A person riding a motorcycle must sit on the seat attached to the vehicle.
- Two people may not ride on a motorcycle simultaneously unless there is a designated second seat. It is illegal for two people to share one seat on a motorcycle.
- The motorcyclist must stay firmly seated the whole time they operate the motorcycle. The bike's two wheels must always remain on the ground. A motorcycle's wheels can only lose contact with the ground due to conditions outside the motorcyclist's control.
- A person riding a motorcycle must always keep both hands on the handlebars. It is prohibited to carry a package, bundle, or other objects that prevents both hands from being on the handlebars.
- All motorcycle riders must wear protective eye gear. This can include goggles, protective eyeglasses, or a face shield.
- A motorcycle rider over 21 is not required to wear a helmet if they have an insurance policy that can cover at least $10,000 worth of damages.
- A person under 21 must wear a helmet while operating a motorcycle.
Reported Motorcycle Accidents Involving Injuries
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle injuries can result from impacting the ground or if your body flies from the bike and collides with a heavy object. A motorcycle collision can also result in an injury from your body crushing between two heavy objects.
The following are some of the injuries you can suffer from a motorcycle accident:
- Road rash: A motorcycle accident can hurl your body from the bike and cause it to skid across the ground. The pavement, dirt, gravel, or other surface types can tear your skin and lead to a friction burn or skin abrasion.
- Broken bones: The impact of a motorcycle accident can fling you from your motorcycle and bring you into contact with hard surfaces. A collision with other objects, vehicles, and the road can lead to a bone fracture.
- Spinal cord injuries: Intense pressure applied to the back can damage the spinal cord and vertebrae. A spinal cord injury can result in muscle weakness, breathing problems, and paralysis of the arms and legs.
- Blunt force trauma or penetrating trauma caused by motorcycle crashes can damage the brain. This damage can lead to a traumatic brain injury, such as a concussion, brain hemorrhage, or coup-contrecoup brain injury. Traumatic brain injuries can have devastating consequences, such as paralysis, poor coordination, difficulty speaking, and changes in the five senses.
- Crush injuries: The pressure applied to a body part by a motorcycle crash can crush that body part. A crush injury can lead to bleeding, bruising, and compartment syndrome. A crushed body part can sometimes be beyond medical treatment, which may require amputation.
What to do After a Motorcycle Accident?
You may not be sure how to proceed in the aftermath of a motorcycle accident. While you focus on your recovery, do you have the energy, time, and effort to invest in pursuing the responsible party for compensation? The following are some of the steps you should take following a motorcycle accident.
Seek Medical Treatment for Motorcycle Accident Injuries
The most vital aspect of your post-accident life is seeking medical treatment. You need to focus on your recovery to restore your life as much as possible. Go to the hospital following your motorcycle wreck and continue all recommended medical treatment.
You also cannot receive total compensation for your medical bills until you know how much they will cost. If you try to settle your claim early on, you will not know the total cost of your treatment. It's essential to recover from your injuries before you settle so that you can receive the full settlement you deserve.
Write Down What Happened During the Motorcycle Accident
It can be challenging to keep track of all the elements of a motorcycle accident months after it occurred. You should write down what happened as soon as possible to ensure you have the most in-depth account. These details should include when it happened, where it happened, who was involved, and what injuries you suffered.
If you go to trial, you may need to attest to these details in front of a jury. It's important to remain consistent throughout your injury claim, so keeping a record of the details can help you in the long run.
Keep Track of Vital Motorcycle Accident Documentation
To receive compensation for your damages, you will need to prove the at-fault party's negligent driving behavior caused your losses. Necessary documentation, such as medical records, crash reports, and police reports, can go a long way in helping to prove their liability. Our legal team can help you gather this information.
These documents can provide a timeline of the accident and injuries you suffered. A traffic crash report with a similar timeline to medical records can prove a connection between the accident and your injuries. A police report will document the damage to your vehicle and possibly include information proving liability.
Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Don't try to handle your motorcycle accident claims process yourself. Trust an experienced motorcycle crash attorney to help ease the burden. You will not have the same expertise to handle tricky legal procedures as a motorcycle accident lawyer will. They can use their knowledge to put you in a position to receive compensation while you focus on your recovery.
Dolman Law Group is a motorcycle accident law firm that promises to provide sound legal counsel. We have helped motor vehicle accident victims for over 17 years. Our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys will use that experience to help you recover damages.
Motorcycle Accident Laws
Motorcycle accidents and insurance laws are unique. For starters, a motorcycle is not considered a motor vehicle under Statute. As a result, no-fault coverage or personal injury protection (PIP) coverage does not apply to motorcycles. In the context of an auto accident, personal injury protection would cover 80% of your medical bills and 60% of lost wages up to the $10,000.00 in existing coverage. Unless you have motorcycle insurance, a specific policy that covers property damage and injuries sustained in a motorcycle wreck, you need to look to the responsible party's insurer for compensation.
The most unique feature of the law in the context of motorcycle accidents is the injury threshold or tort threshold that exists. In contrast to a car accident, a motorcycle injury claimant does not have the burden to prove they have suffered a permanent injury to recover economic damages (costs of past and future medical expenses), non-economic damages (pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life) or punitive damages. Thus, a motorcycle injury is a unique personal injury claim.
In the absence of no-fault coverage, it is even more imperative to retain an experienced motorcycle injury lawyer. Most motorcycle accident claims result in costly medical bills. because they usually result in more serious injuries.
What Motorcycle Accident Damages Can You Pursue Compensation For?
If you were involved in an accident while riding your motorcycle, you could pursue compensation for devastating damages. In order to seek compensation for damages inflicted by a motorcycle accident, you can file a motorcycle crash claim with the at-fault party's insurance company. A motorcycle accident attorney can assist you by assessing your damages and determining how much you might receive. They can also help you prove the at-fault party's liability, meaning you can receive compensation for the damages they caused.
The following are some of the damages you can request in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Medical costs for emergency and continuing care
- Loss of income due to time off work
- Lost income earning potential
- Financial costs for replacement or repairs of your motorcycle
- Disability costs
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering (pain and suffering is non-economic damage)
Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents
There are a vast number of ways that a person can get involved in an accident when riding a motorcycle. Motorcycle accidents typically result from reckless driving behavior, such as distracted driving, drunk driving, and speeding. Different types of motorcycle accidents have different factors that contribute to their occurrence and the possible damages they can inflict.
The following are some of the most common types of motorcycle accidents:
Head-on Motorcycle Collisions
A head-on collision is when two vehicles moving in opposite directions crash into each other. This crash is one of the most dangerous types of motorcycle crash because a front-end collision can result in a car directly impacting a motorcyclist's body. It can also result in the motorcycle rider flying from their bike into the car's windshield, possibly causing cuts and abrasions from broken glass. Motorcyclists involved in these accidents typically suffer catastrophic injuries leading to months of recovery and expensive medical care.
Left-Turn Motorcycle Accidents
Cars commonly hit a motorcyclist at a left turn because motorists often fail to recognize a motorcyclist's right of way. A left-turn motorcycle crash can occur when a turning vehicle hits a motorcycle going straight through, collides with a motorcycle waiting for a light, or strikes a motorcycle in an intersection by ignoring a stop sign.
Vehicles typically have to slow down when turning at an intersection, so this type of accident has a lower impact. However, it can still cause a motorcyclist to fly from their vehicle, leading to severe injuries.
Lane-Switching Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles can easily slip into the blind spots of a larger vehicle. This can lead to catastrophic accidents when motorists fail to check their blind spots before changing lanes. Lack of motorcyclist visibility is one of the most significant contributors to motorcycle accidents.
A driver can miss a motorcycle in a blind spot and change lanes right into them. The velocity and impact caused by this collision can lead to devastating damages.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Help You?
The average person may not know the best process for seeking damages for motorcycle crash injuries. This is why they should hire a motorcycle accident attorney. With the help of a motorcycle accident lawyer, you will have a definite advantage in recovering damages.
The following are some of the ways a motorcycle accident attorney can help you:
- Assess the damages: Before you can recover damages, you need to know the total compensation you deserve. An experienced motorcycle crash attorney can assess your case to determine what damages you should seek. They can communicate with your doctor, boss, and motorcycle repairs technician to see how much your damages could cost. Once you and your lawyer decide upon a fair figure, they can draft a demand letter to begin the claims process.
- Collect evidence: You must prove the at-fault party's liability to receive compensation for your damages. Proving liability requires tangible proof that establishes negligent driving behavior led to the accident. Your lawyer can use their resources to collect evidence, such as videos of the accident, witness testimonies, accident scene photos, and vehicle accident reconstructions.
- Assist with insurance adjusters: Once you file a claim with the at-fault party's insurance company, the insurance company will send out an insurance adjuster. An insurance adjuster's job is to find information to limit your settlement. Your lawyer can help counteract their attempts to minimize your potential payout. They can also advise you about how to handle an in-person meeting with the adjuster.
- Negotiate the settlement: Negotiating a settlement can be tricky because the insurance company will employ tactics to reduce your potential settlement. A motorcycle accident lawyer can combat these bad faith tactics and negotiate a fair settlement for your incurred damages.
Motorcycle Accident FAQs
Following a motorcycle accident, you may feel underprepared for all the demanding aspects of the legal process required to pursue compensation for your damages. Here are some of the frequently asked questions we receive about motorcycle accident claims:
How Do I Find The Best Motorcycle Crash Attorney For My Case?
You need to find a motorcycle accident lawyer with specific experience in motorcycle collision cases. You should consider your attorney's credentials, experience, knowledge, and ability to win your case. You need legal representation that has your best interests in mind and the resources to properly handle your case.
Do your due diligence to find a motorcycle accident lawyer with the experience necessary to win your injury claim. Take advantage of free consultations to find the lawyer that offers the best legal advice.
At Dolman Law Group, our team will apply our experience litigating motorcycle accident cases to put you in a position to succeed. We will assess your damages, determine what compensation you should seek, and help prove the at-fault party's liability. We will guide you through the process so that you can rebuild your life.
Are Mopeds Considered Motorcycles?
Despite falling under this classification, the law does not recognize a moped as a motorcycle. This means they have their own classification and set rules that distinguish them from a motorcycle. Moped riders must be at least 16 years old and carry a Class E driver's license.
If you were on a moped when a driver crashed into you, a personal injury lawyer could still help you recover compensation for your moped accident damages by proving the at-fault party's liability and your losses.
Can You Recover Damages from a Lane-Splitting Accident?
Lane splitting is the act of a motorcyclist driving between two lanes of traffic on the white lane dividing them. This practice allows motorcycle riders to move past slower-moving vehicles and navigate traffic more quickly. Lane splitting is not legal.
The law states that a motorcycle rider cannot occupy the area between lanes of traffic. This is to prevent a vehicle from encountering resistance when attempting to change lanes. It helps protect drivers and motorcycle riders from colliding with each other.
If you were involved in a lane-splitting accident, you could still attempt to pursue compensation from the other negligent party through an insurance claim or a subsequent lawsuit if the insurance adjuster fails to provide a reasonable settlement offer. Although you share liability for causing the accident by committing an illegal act, the other driver can share partial liability if they committed reckless driving that helped cause the accident.
You will not receive the same compensation as if you were driving in the proper lane. Still, your motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation by proving the at-fault party shared liability. You can receive compensation for the fault they had in causing the accident. Hence, the importance of retaining an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer.
Contact a Motorcycle Accident Attorney for Help With Your Accident Claim
Having the best possible legal representation for a motorcycle accident claim is essential. A top-notch motorcycle accident lawyer can allow you to focus on your recovery. They can handle the claims process while you follow your doctor's plan to recover from your severe motorcycle accident injury.
The experienced motorcycle accident lawyers at Dolman Law Group will apply their in-depth knowledge to help you secure the best possible compensation. We will prove the at-fault party's negligence, collect evidence to strengthen your case, and negotiate a fair settlement. Our motorcycle lawyers are committed to handling your motorcycle accident injury claim and advancing the case into litigation if the insurance carrier refuses to evaluate the claim fairly.
Why Choose Dolman Law Group's Motorcycle Injury Lawyers?
Dolman Law Group is a nationally recognized personal injury law firm. Our motorcycle lawyers have over 130+ years of combined experience and have recovered in excess of $250 Million in financial compensation for serious injury victims. With multiple offices on both coasts of Florida, we are your local motorcycle accident lawyers. Our personal injury lawyers have served as lead counsel in over 2300 Florida lawsuits.
Stan Gipe is a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer. This designation indicates that Stan is an expert in handling litigation and jury trials. Stan has served as lead counsel in lawsuits filed in the following counties; Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee, Sarasota, Lee, Collier, Pasco, Polk, Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Duval, and Orange. Stan is an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer.
Matthew Dolman is an experienced motorcycle personal injury lawyer who has served as lead counsel on numerous lawsuits filed throughout the State of Florida. He has been selected by his colleagues (fellow members of the Florida Bar) as a Florida Superlawyer and a member of Florida's Legal Elite a combined eleven times and most recently in 2022. Further, Matt is a lifetime member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum for resolving claims in excess of $1 Million and $2 Million, respectively. He has served as lead counsel on numerous motorcycle accident lawsuits.
Bryan Hannan brings nineteen years of experience as a motorcycle injury lawyer. He handles cases throughout the State and has successfully litigated numerous motorcycle accident cases and lawsuits. Bryan has earned recognition for a recent seven-figure settlement on a wrongful death lawsuit.
Reach Out To a Motorcycle Accident Attorney For a Free Consultation
We offer a free consultation on all motorcycle cases. We charge no legal fees to discuss your rights and potential motorcycle injury claim prior to hiring us. If you were injured in a motorcycle collision, retaining an experienced local lawyer is vital in recovering compensation from the negligent party.
With offices across both Florida coasts, you can easily reach Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, at (727) 451-6900, or you can write to us using our online contact page by clicking the button below.