The laid-back seaside atmosphere of Largo makes it a beautiful place to visit, particularly from the back of the motorcycle. Unfortunately, for all the beauty the scenery of the area has to offer, the city's roadways present just as much danger for motorcyclists.
If you have sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident in Largo, you understand how serious—and seriously expensive—motorcycle accident injuries may be. However, you may not know about the legal process that allows you to seek compensation for the expenses and psychological impacts related to your accident.
An experienced Largo motorcycle accident lawyer from Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, can help you understand this process and seek the maximum amount of compensation available in your case.
Why Choose Us to Help Resolve Your Largo Motorcycle Accident Claim?
We understand why you ride. There's nothing like experiencing the world on the open road and cycles can be more cost-effective and just fun to operate. However, we also know that most motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers' negligence and riders often bear the worst injuries as a result. We are dedicated to seeking justice for motorcyclists who are injured by other people's negligence and we strive to recover the maximum compensation possible in every case.
Some of our recent case results include:
- A $1.4 million motorcycle accident settlement.
- A $1 million settlement for a client who incurred a traumatic brain injury in a motorcycle accident.
- A $415,000 settlement for a client who incurred damaged discs in the neck in a motorcycle accident.
Reach out to the professionals at Dolman Law Group for a free consultation and case review to learn more about your specific rights and options.
Where Do Largo Motorcycle Accidents Commonly Occur?
U.S. Hwy 19 constitutes one of the most common areas for motorcycle accidents in Largo. One of the busiest and most dangerous roads in the state, U.S. Hwy 19 frequently has drivers that travel at a high rate of speed. This roadway also has a high number of crosswalk-marked intersections through the city stretch, which produces a high amount of pedestrian traffic in heavy motor vehicle traffic.
The intersection of 66th Street and Ulmerton Road constitutes another dangerous area for motorcyclists. This intersection frequently experiences traffic crashes, including those involving motorcycles. Busy areas pose a threat to motorcyclists because they create a greater chance of drivers facing distractions from traffic and of drivers failing to notice a motorcyclist.
What Hazards Can Contribute to a Motorcycle Crash in Largo?
Other hazards that motorcyclists in Largo face when they ride include:
- Lack of visibility. Motorcycles have slimmer profiles than other vehicle types and don't have as many headlights. This makes them less visible to other drivers, particularly at night.
- Lack of stability, which means that even debris on the roadway or a pothole can increase the risk of an accident and injury for the motorcyclist.
- Lack of protective features that passenger cars commonly have, such as steel frames, seat belts, and airbags.
- Left-turning drivers. Since motorcycles are smaller, it makes them harder to see and puts them at risk of being struck by a driver attempting to make a left turn if they don't look carefully or long enough.
- Dooring, which occurs when the occupant of a motor vehicle parked on the side of the roadway opens the vehicle door into the path of an oncoming motorcyclist. This generally results in either the motorcyclist colliding with the door or swerving into other traffic lanes to avoid it.
The Types of Injuries Our Largo Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Commonly Handle
More than 80,000 people sustain injuries in motorcycle accidents on U.S. roads each year. Each time they ride, motorcyclists face a much higher risk of sustaining injuries or dying in an accident than the occupants of a passenger car. One of the most severe injuries that individuals can incur in a Largo motorcycle accident is a traumatic brain injury, or TBI.
TBIs are caused by an impact on the head and can be extremely serious if the rider isn't wearing a helmet. Individuals aged 21 and over don't legally have to wear helmets in Florida, provided they possess an insurance policy that provides at least $10,000 in medical benefits for use if an accident occurs. Riders who are injured while not wearing a helmet may still pursue compensation from an at-fault driver, but the claim is more complicated. Check with an experienced motorcycle crash lawyer in our Largo office to learn more.
Because the brain has only a limited ability to heal after injury., brain injuries often produce permanent complications, including loss of memory, the inability to control emotions or impulses, difficulty with balance and coordination, or difficulty speaking or understanding spoken language.
In addition to traumatic brain injuries, other injuries that Largo motorcycle accident victims may experience include:
- Spinal cord injuries. Like the brain, which acts as a messenger to the rest of the body, the spinal cord has only a limited ability to heal. Victims of spinal cord injuries often experience a permanent loss of function and sensation below the site of the injury, known as paralysis. Injuries occurring in the cervical (neck) area of the spinal cord can result in complete paralysis while injuries occurring lower on the cord may result in paralysis in the hips, pelvis, legs, and feet.
- Road rash. While road rash doesn't constitute the most deadly injury a motorcyclist can incur in Largo, it is one of the most common. The term “road rash” refers to an abrasion caused when the skin makes contact with a rough surface, such as the roadway. While some road rash heals within weeks with minimal medical attention, it can pose a risk of causing deadly infections as well as scarring and disfigurement.
- Internal injuries. A motorcycle accident almost always ejects the rider which can lead to the rider colliding with obstacles, other vehicles, and the ground. These severe impacts pose a high risk of causing internal injuries, such as a collapsed lung resulting from a broken rib puncturing the lung, organ damage, and internal bleeding.
- Leg injuries, including broken bones, damage to knees, injuries to the feet, or even traumatic leg amputations.
- Back and neck injuries, such as injuries to the spinal discs and vertebrae, which often require surgery to treat and can result in chronic pain and loss of mobility.
- Face and eye injuries, including cuts, lacerations, and burns. Common facial injuries resulting from a Largo motorcycle accident include a broken nose, broken cheekbones, damage to the teeth, a broken jaw, or eye injuries.
- Biker's elbow, which refers to damage to the elbow joint resulting from a motorcyclist's instinct to catch themself when falling by extending their arms.
- Burns, which commonly result from fires started by the fuel of the motorcycle's gas tank.
How Can a Largo Motorcycle Accident Attorney Obtain Compensation for an Injured Rider?
A personal injury lawsuit consists of a legal claim filed in civil court that seeks to prove who caused an accident, as well as to show the expenses and impacts that the injured individual has incurred as a result. Before filing a lawsuit, your motorcycle crash lawyer usually submits a demand package to the at-fault party's insurance adjuster. This package includes an accounting of how the accident occurred, as well as documentation of the expenses you have incurred.
The adjuster will either:
- Accept the claim, at which point the at-fault insurance company must issue payment.
- Deny the claim.
- Offer a settlement.
Initial settlement offers from insurance adjusters generally fall far below the value of the case. This offer should serve as a jumping-off point where your lawyer can begin settlement negotiations on your behalf. If those negotiations appear to stall, you may decide, with the guidance of your attorney, to file your lawsuit.
When Should You File a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit and What Happens Next?
You generally must file a Largo motorcycle accident lawsuit in court within two years of the date of the accident. However, there are exceptions to this timeframe so check with the skilled Largo personal injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group to know for sure.
Once you've filed your lawsuit, the discovery process of your motorcycle case begins. This serves as a time for your attorney to gather evidence from the defendant and depose witnesses. An insurance company may still make additional settlement offers during discovery and even after your trial begins, as long as a court or jury hasn't made a final decision. During the trial, your attorney will provide litigation services, including the delivery of opening and closing statements, the presentation of evidence, and the examination of witnesses.
If you and your attorney reach an agreement with the at-fault insurance company, or if you receive a favorable trial verdict, your attorney will assist you with the collection of your settlement or award. Other than punitive damages—which courts award as a financial consequence of the defendant's extreme disregard for someone else's safety—the settlements and awards obtained in personal injury cases don't constitute taxable income. However, if you have deducted medical expenses from your tax burden and have later obtained compensation that includes medical expenses, you will need to repay the amount of the deduction that you took. Again, talk to a knowledgeable motorcycle accident injury lawyer for more details.
What Compensation Can You Request From the Liable Party?
In Florida, you can recover both economic and non-economic damages. This means that you can obtain compensation for the out-of-pocket expenses you have incurred as a result of your injury, as well as the impacts you have experienced on your quality of life.
Some expenses and impacts that commonly arise in Largo motorcycle accident claims include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income and wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of the enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium, which an injured person's spouse collects for the loss of physical intimacy and companionship that often accompanies serious injuries.
In some cases, injured individuals may request a court to award punitive damages. Courts award punitive damages not as compensation for the expenses or impacts of your injury, but rather as a financial penatly for the defendant's extremely reckless behavior.
What Your Largo Motorcycle Collision Lawyer Will Need to Prove
To prove that someone else should pay for your losses, your lawyer must prove:
- The at-fault party owed you a duty of care. Roadway users in Largo—including those in passenger cars, commercial trucks, buses, on other motorcycles, or even riding bicycles or walking—all owe each other a duty of care. This duty refers to the behavior of a reasonable person in a given set of circumstances necessary to protect the safety and property of others.
- The at-fault party breached the duty of care. The at-fault party's actions contradicted the duty of care owed to others.
- The breach resulted in the accident, which caused you to incur the expenses and impacts of an injury.
Do You Need a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Largo? Trust Dolman Law Group to Help
Largo looks beautiful from the back of a motorcycle. The experienced Largo motorcycle accident attorneys at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, fully understand the appeal of riding a motorcycle in this beautiful part of the country. We also understand that if you have suffered serious injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident, you need an aggressive advocate on your side to ensure that you pursue maximum compensation based on the specific circumstances of your accident.
We also understand that many individuals may feel reluctant to seek the services of a personal injury attorney after suffering injuries for fear they cannot afford the fees. We are pleased to offer two special services that ensure anyone who needs assistance has access to it, regardless of financial status.
Largo Office Location
10225 Ulmerton Rd, Building 6A-2
Largo, FL 33771
“AMAZING and understanding attorneys! Did great on my case and I highly recommend Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for anyone that has been injured in an accident!"
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!