Motorcycles are extremely popular in Texas. With its sunny weather, beautiful coastline views, and scenic highways, Texas is prime real estate for bikers when they want to take a spin on their bikes. Texas is also home to popular motorcycle rallies that gather people from around the United States.
Unfortunately, the abundance of motorcycle use also means an increase in motorcycle accidents. Despite bikers' and car drivers' best efforts, there are many accidents involving motorcycles in Texas every year.
If you were in a motorcycle accident in San Antonio, you are not alone. Many others like you have gone through the same thing. But with help from good healthcare providers and San Antonio motorcycle accident lawyers, many victims have successfully gotten their lives back on track. With the same resources, you can too.
Dolman Law Group Gets Results
At Dolman Law Group, we are well-versed in motorcycle accidents and all they entail. In the past several years, we have seen great results in pursuing motorcycle accident claims for their clients. We can investigate the crash, prepare the claim, and pursue appropriate damages based on what happened to our client and the expenses they incurred because of their injuries and accident.
While we cannot guarantee a favorable result in your case, here are some of the motorcycle accident results that we have won in the past:
- $320,000 for a motorcycle accident resulting in a cervical spine fusion surgery
- $415,000 for a motorcycle collision resulting in a cervical fusion
- $750,000 for a motorcycle crash involving many injuries
- $1,000,000 for a motorcycle accident that led to a traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- $1,400,000 for a motorcycle collision that led to multiple injuries
These are only a few of the many favorable results we have earned for our clients in the last several years. Many of these claims were settled out of court due to the diligence and perseverance of our lawyers. We are a small law firm, and we love to give a personal touch to all our clients. No matter what, we will fight for justice.
San Antonio Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are extremely dangerous. Those who ride motorcycles often have little to no protection in comparison to other vehicles. Motorcyclists have no frame on their rides, no airbags, and no seatbelts. In addition, many motorcyclists don't wear helmets or proper protection on their bodies. Even when they do, the chances of serious injury are still high because they are more likely to be thrown from their vehicles and make contact with the ground or other nearby objects.
As with almost any type of crash, motorcycle accidents were most often caused by one of two factors:
- A collision with another vehicle, or
- A collision with a fixed roadside object or debris on the roadway
The most common cause of multiple-vehicle crashes (i.e., a crash in which the motorcycle hit another vehicle and not just an object) is left-turning scenarios. These scenarios might include situations in which:
- A car turns left while a motorcycle is coming towards it on the opposite side of the road
- A car turns left while a motorcycle is trying to pass it
- A car turns left while a motorcycle is overtaking it
- A motorcycle turns left in front of a car coming towards it
There are other common causes of motorcycle accidents as well, including cars failing to check their blind spots or opening their doors when a motorcycle rider is coming towards them, causing the motorcycle to hit the door. Any of these common causes can result in painful injuries and serious consequences for a biker.
While night crashes resulted in the most fatalities, the majority of motorcycle accidents actually occur during daylight hours in good weather. Some other contributing factors may include sun glare causing drivers to suffer from unclear vision and strong winds, which make it more difficult for motorcycle drivers to keep their bikes under control.
Regardless of the reason behind it, a motorcycle accident is a frightening event that can have severe consequences. Some people suffer lifelong injuries, cannot return to their previous careers, or even pass away due to a crash. Recovering compensation may seem like a small step toward justice, but it can greatly reduce financial stress, ensuring victims get the treatment they need or families recover money for funeral and burial costs.
Common Injuries in San Antonio Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle riders are usually very exposed when involved in a crash. This exposure means that serious injuries and deaths are more common than for drivers in enclosed vehicles.
Some of the most common injuries involved in a motorcycle accident include:
- Head injuries – The head is subject to greater exposure than the rest of the body. While helmets help alleviate some injuries, not all head damage can be avoided. In many accidents, a motorcyclist will suffer traumatic brain injuries such as concussions due to the impact of a crash.
- Scrapes, cuts, and bruises – No matter how serious the accident, it will almost always result in scrapes, cuts, and bruises for the exposed motorcycle driver. Severe scrapes and burns are known as road rash, which is one of the most common injuries for motorcyclists. It can be extremely painful, have an increased risk of infection, and even require hospitalization in some cases.
- Broken limbs or sprained joints – In many cases, a motorcycle driver will brace for a fall off their bike with their hands, arms, or legs. These actions can lead to serious scrapes and bruises as well as broken bones or sprains.
- Spinal injuries – Bikers are often thrown against guardrails, cars, and other objects when in an accident. They will almost always end up hitting the ground with a serious impact. These types of injuries often result in severe injury to the spinal cord, usually in the form of a fracture or a slipped disc.
- Internal injuries – In some cases, broken bones or other objects may pierce internal organs and cause bleeding or other injuries. Get a doctor to treat internal injuries right away to avoid infection, serious internal bleeding, and other complications.
Common Outcomes in San Antonio Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents often lead to very heavy financial and physical costs for those involved. In fact, comprehensive costs to the United States account for about $22.6 billion a year. These costs arise from medical expenses as well as loss of income and labor, property damage, and loss of quality of life.
Due to the severity of injuries often sustained, motorcycle accident claims often settle for high amounts in Texas. Serious injuries can increase the value of other losses and costs experienced, including lost wages and pain and suffering. Catastrophic injuries could prevent a motorcyclist from ever returning to work and requiring ongoing medical treatments and support.
Those involved in motorcycle accidents may claim damages for many things, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage
- Emotional distress
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Long-term injuries and medical expenses
A motorcyclist may sue for punitive damages in some cases. Specifically, courts may award punitive damages when a driver acted in a particularly negligent or intentional way. This could include drunk driving, road rage, or wantonly failing to obey the law in some meaningful way. Only a jury will award punitive damages—this type of exemplary damage is not available through a negotiated settlement with an insurance company.
What to Do After a San Antonio Motorcycle Accident
As you can see, motorcycle accidents are serious and not easy to deal with. Your accident may have seriously injured you, and you likely cannot do much of anything except wait for first responders to arrive and assess your injuries. However, if you can move and think clearly:
- Get as far off the road as you can.
- Call an ambulance. Motorcycle riders almost always have some kind of injury, and other drivers or bystanders may be injured as well. You'll want to get medical attention as soon as it is possible to do so.
- Call the police. Official reports are very important for claims as they can often help clear up circumstances and determine fault in an accident.
- Exchange insurance information with the other driver. Insurance claims adjusters often help determine fault and who has to pay what.
- Get witness statements. You will probably also want to get contact information for witnesses so you can contact them later if you need to.
- Get treatment for your injuries. Before you pursue any other action, make sure you are going to be okay.
- Call a motorcycle accident attorney in San Antonio. You will need legal advice and guidance if you want to make any kind of claim.
Once you have taken these steps, you should be well on your way to recovery. If you cannot take one or more of these steps—such as getting contact information from witnesses—we can handle it for you when we investigate your case. This information will likely be in the accident report filed by responding police officers, although not all witnesses are always included in these reports.
Why You Should Hire Our San Antonio Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
There are many reasons why you may not want to hire a San Antonio motorcycle accident attorney, including:
- You may feel it is too much hassle when you can handle the case on your own.
- You may think a lawyer costs too much, and you don't want to deal with more expenses right now.
- You may have heard that it is rarely worth it to try and hire someone else to deal with things when the amount you can claim won't change anyway.
- You may feel that the case will take far too long and, by the time it's over, will have cost you even more than you may have earned.
These are all legitimate fears, but in this case, you don't have to worry. Dolman Law Group knows how to get great results for clients no matter the situation. We know that you have had to suffer through enough with medical concerns, property damage, and emotional suffering. We want to help you so that you don't have to deal with insurance companies and legal situations too.
Hiring a San Antonio motorcycle accident lawyer is usually a great decision. Lawyers can decipher complicated paperwork. They can help you determine just how much you should claim for the injuries you have suffered. They can contact insurance providers and help you decide which is the best offer and whether or not you should accept it. And if the other driver(s) involved in your accident decide to hire a lawyer to help them get the best end of the deal, you won't be stuck with no recourse.
Our San Antonio motorcycle accident attorneys also work on a contingency fee basis. That means that they won't take any money until after you've recovered compensation. At that point, they will take a percentage of your earnings as compensation, but that also means you'll be paying nothing out of pocket for assistance from our San Antonio motorcycle accident lawyers.
While we will never settle for a lower amount just to see a case finalized, we will do everything we can to see your case finished as soon as possible. You will likely have a lot of treatment to go through before we can determine just how much your case is worth, and settling things with insurance companies can take a few months. Of course, it will take a few more months if things go to court. However, with the help of a lawyer, you can factor in every possible thing that has cost you money and suffering due to your accident and receive the compensation you deserve.
San Antonio Motorcycle Accident FAQs
When you are involved in a motorcycle accident, you are bound to have many questions. You probably want to know what causes motorcycle accidents, what to do when you're in one, how you can prove negligence, how you can get compensation, what you can claim as damages, and much more. Accidents can be painful experiences and lead to a lot of stress and confusion.
Thankfully, we know all about motorcycle accidents and are here to answer all your toughest questions. Take a look over this FAQ page to find out what our clients most often ask and how we help them find the answers they need. And if you still need help, feel free to give us a call to speak to a real live person.
Q: Who Is At Fault If a Car Turned Left in Front of My Motorcycle While I Was Riding Towards Them?
A: This is one of the most common motorcycle collision scenarios. Generally, the vehicle turning left—often at a traffic light or stop sign—fails to yield to oncoming traffic. They may not check for traffic, or they may look but fail to see the motorcyclist because they were expecting a larger car.
In most cases, the car turning left will be considered at fault in this type of accident. The driver should have been watching the roadway and yielding to oncoming traffic. Failing to do so is a violation of the law.
However, it is important to realize that, in some cases, it might be possible to prove that they were not at fault. This is usually true of cases in which you, as the motorcyclist, were speeding, texting, or had run a red light. In some situations, each party may be assigned a percentage of fault depending on how responsible they were for what happened.
Q: How Do I Prove Negligence in a San Antonio Motorcycle Accident?
A: There are a few things you'll need to prove to establish that someone else was negligent in an accident. The most important thing is to collect strong evidence that helps prove your case:
- You'll want to make sure that an official police report gets filed. If you can, call the police so they can fill out that report and put down the details. It's easier for someone on the outside to see what likely caused the accident, and it's best if it's an official who can write it down for further research. If you are too injured to call the police, someone else will likely call 911 because of the severity of your injuries, and first responders will handle the report.
- Try to get as many witness statements as you can. With a variety of statements from people who saw what happened, you can get a pretty clear picture of every action that led to the accident. The official police report will include the names and contact information of witnesses, but those at the scene may be able to identify additional eyewitnesses if their injuries allow.
- You'll probably want to talk to insurance agents. However, you need to ensure they are from your own insurer. Do not speak with the other driver's insurer without an attorney. Often, insurance companies will send out claims adjusters to study the scene of the accident and the evidence available to determine fault. They might hire professional crash reenactment specialists to study the roadway and decide what most likely happened based on physical evidence.
- Take photos. After your accident, try to take photos of the scene so you have as much physical evidence as possible to help prove negligence and the amount of damage caused. If this is not possible, it is important to enlist the help of a personal injury law firm as soon as you can so they can survey the accident scene.
- Contact an experienced San Antonio motorcycle accident lawyer to discuss the details of your accident and determine your eligibility to pursue compensation for the full cost of your injuries. Dolman Law Group provides complimentary case consultations for motorcyclists hurt in San Antonio collisions.
Q: What do I Do After a San Antonio Motorcycle Accident?
A: The first thing you need to do after an accident is to make sure everyone is okay. This likely means that getting off the roadway (if possible) and calling an ambulance to come and treat anyone who is injured. If you suffered significant injuries and paramedics recommend going to the hospital, prioritize your injuries and allow them to take you. If not, you can go to the doctor after leaving the scene.
Once paramedics say you can wait to go to the hospital, gather the evidence mentioned above. Call the police, get witness statements and witness contact information, and take photos of the scene with any injuries or damage. You should also exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver. Finally, once you have received the treatment you need, get in touch with our San Antonio motorcycle accident lawyers to determine the next steps.
Q: Why Do I Need to Call the Police After an Accident?
A: Texas law requires that a report be filled out for any accident where someone is injured. It is unlikely that a motorcyclist collides with another vehicle and does not suffer some type of injury. In addition, accidents involving more than $1,000 in property damage must also be reported to law enforcement.
You should call the police if you're involved in any of the above cases. Their official report can also help claims adjusters and/or lawyers determine who was at fault in an accident and what damages you should claim as compensation.
Q: Should I Accept the Insurance Company's Settlement After a San Antonio Motorcycle Accident?
A: You should always talk to a lawyer before accepting a settlement offer from the insurance company. Insurance adjusters are usually trying to pay the least possible amount in any given scenario.
If you accept the first offer that the insurance company offers you, you will likely wind up settling for a lot less than your accident is actually worth. This could harm you in the future if you end up having to pay for a lot of costs that should have been avoided. Always make sure you get legal advice before making a decision and accepting a settlement.
Q: Are Helmets Required in San Antonio?
A: According to Texas law, all operators under the age of 21, and most riders over 21, are required to wear a helmet. Riders over 21, however, can opt out of this requirement by pursuing special rider certification and an additional insurance policy.
Q: What If I Was in an Accident, But I Wasn't Wearing a Helmet? Can I Still Claim Damages?
A: In most cases, if your injuries arose from a motorcycle accident, you may recover compensation. Your refusal to wear a helmet doesn't excuse someone else's negligence.
Q: Is Motorcycle Insurance a Requirement in San Antonio?
Q: Should I Keep My Bike After an Accident?
A: In many cases, your bike may have sustained so much damage that it isn't worth saving. However, you should try to hold on to it until you have talked to our San Antonio motorcycle accident attorneys. The amount of damage will be important in determining how much you can claim in compensation. You want to make sure that you pursue compensation for the full cost of your accident, including property damage.
Q: How Long Do I Have to File a San Antonio Motorcycle Accident Claim?
A: In Texas, you generally have two years to file a San Antonio motorcycle accident claim. You don't want to waste too much time, as filing can be a long process, but this does give you time to determine how much you lost in medical expenses and lost income.
Q: What Kinds of Things Can I Claim As Damages in a San Antonio Motorcycle Accident Case?
A: The most common claim in a San Antonio motorcycle accident case is for injuries caused by the accident. However, there are other claims you can make as well to help you recover more for all you lost. You can claim:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Loss of income from taking time off work to heal
- Loss of earning capacity if your injuries prevent you from returning to your old job
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium (i.e., loss of a relationship caused in some way by the accident and injuries)
- Property damage
Q: What Is the Process of a San Antonio Motorcycle Accident Claim?
A: First, you'll contact a lawyer for a free consultation. After listening to what happened, the lawyer may tell you what he or she thinks about how much you can get, if it's worth pursuing a claim, how long the case might take, etc. Your attorney will likely set up a meeting to go over the details and sign a contract.
Once you retain the attorney, he or she will start gathering evidence, which could take weeks or months. When they are ready, your attorney will negotiate with insurance companies to get you the most favorable settlement possible.
If the at-fault parties don't offer you a fair settlement during negotiations, your lawyers will likely advise you whether you should take it to court. If you decide to do so, your attorney will file suit and present the evidence that he or she has gathered to the court. Since our San Antonio motorcycle accident attorneys accept cases on contingency, your interests are aligned, and you can rest assured knowing that your attorney is seeking maximum compensation on your behalf.
Q: How Much Do San Antonio Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Cost?
A: While different lawyers charge in different ways, our San Antonio motorcycle accident lawyers always charge a contingency fee. This means that they will not charge you anything out of pocket. We will receive a percentage of whatever earnings you get when your case is settled and/or won. If you lose your case, you won't have to pay. This payment arrangement works well for injured individuals who don't have the money to pay high up-front legal fees.
Q: How Can Your San Antonio Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Help Me After a Motorcycle Accident?
A: Motorcycle accidents are terrible events. They often result in serious injury and high costs for all involved. Because motorcycle riders are more exposed on their bikes than drivers of other vehicles, their injuries are often more serious. They are more likely to lead to long-term effects and costs for the biker.
Lawyers from Dolman Law Group understand all that motorcyclists go through when they suffer an accident. We know that you have had to deal with a lot of pain and stress and would like to avoid as much of that as possible in the future. That's why we want to do everything we can to help you get what you deserve.
Our San Antonio motorcycle accident attorneys are experienced in dealing with insurance companies, answering complicated legal questions, and determining value in cases. When you hire a lawyer, much of the stress of finding answers and negotiating the best settlement will be taken off your shoulders.
In many situations, especially if you were not at fault, the other driver in an accident will hire a lawyer to help them get the best settlement possible. If you go into a situation against a lawyer, you are much more likely to lose. Lawyers can almost always help clients get more money for a settlement than they could get on their own.
At Dolman Law Group, we are passionate about seeing justice done for every client. We have years of experience under our belts, but it hasn't made us callous. We are a small firm, and we love getting to know our clients personally as we help them with their claims.
If you were in a motorcycle accident near San Antonio, get in touch with a lawyer today. Give Dolman Law Group a call today. We are standing by, ready to help you pursue compensation for the full cost of your injuries. Let us handle the legal complexities of your motorcycle accident claim while you focus on your mental and physical recovery.
Contact The San Antonio Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at Dolman Law Group Today
Don't keep worrying about the future of your case and how you're going to pay for your expenses. If you were in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else's negligence, you shouldn't have to deal with it all on your own. You can get a free consultation with our lawyers today to determine your next steps.
Then, go ahead and get in touch with Dolman Law Group. With offices located across the country, we're never far away. For a free consultation and help with understanding the future of your case, call us today.
San Antonio Office
921 S St Mary's St #2
San Antonio, TX 78205
Phone: (210) 361-2039