Child sexual abuse is undoubtedly one of the most despicable acts. Such a crime can result in trauma and long-lasting injuries throughout the victim’s life. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in every four girls and one in every thirteen boys experience child sexual abuse in their lives.
If your child has been a victim of sexual abuse, you could file a lawsuit against the perpetrator and recover compensation for all damages. Consider consulting a Doral child sexual abuse lawyer at Dolman Law Group to help you navigate the entire legal process.
How Can a Doral Child Sexual Abuse Lawyer on Our Team Help?
All sexual abuse crimes are usually prioritized by law enforcement agencies and prosecutors. However, sexual abuse involving children is particularly heinous, raising public demand for action. All cases involving child sexual abuse in Florida may lead to severe punishment. Even though taking legal action against child sexual abuse perpetrators doesn’t erase the trauma the victim and their families experienced, it does bring justice.
If you believe that your child has been sexually abused, don’t hesitate to come forward and have your voice heard. We understand that you may be concerned about your child reliving such a horrific experience. That’s why you may want a child sexual abuse lawyer to represent you throughout the case.
A Doral child sexual abuse lawyer on our team will do the following to help your case:
- Advise you on the most appropriate legal route to take
- Conduct a thorough investigation and gather enough evidence to connect the perpetrator to the crime
- Handle all legal paperwork required in the case on your behalf
- Call upon critical witnesses to testify on your child’s behalf
- File a lawsuit against the perpetrator on time
- Take your case to trial and help you get closure
What Qualifies as Child Sexual Abuse in Doral?
Child sexual abuse may involve various physical and non-physical actions. In many cases, child sexual abuse is best described as the manipulation and coercion of a minor for the perpetrator’s sexual gratification. Child sexual abuse can happen once, or it could recur over many years. Sometimes, the victims may not even understand being sexually abused until years later.
The following are some behaviors that qualify as child sexual abuse:
- Exposing one’s genitals to a minor
- Inappropriate touching
- Sexual interaction with a child over the phone or internet
- Using children to create pornography
- Forcing a child to watch pornography
- Psychological pressure to have sexual intercourse
Child sexual abuse doesn’t always involve violent behavior and force. Sometimes, it takes the shape of lying to or manipulating a minor to engage in sexual activity. Under Florida Statutes § 794.05, no minor under the age of 16 can give consent to sexual activity. Therefore, regardless of how sexual activity was initiated, any sexual misconduct against a minor is punishable by law. It may lead to heavy fines, jail time, or both.
Doral Child Sexual Abuse Lawyer Near Me 833-552-7274
Who Can You File a Child Sexual Abuse Lawsuit Against?
There are various parties you could file a child sexual abuse lawsuit against on behalf of a victim, including:
- A person who’s known to the victim
- Employers of the perpetrator
- Foster parents of the victim
- The management of a children’s home or school
- Government agencies
- Charitable foundations
- Social services department in charge of caring for the child
- A religious institution
For a free legal consultation with a child sexual abuse lawyer serving Doral, call 833-552-7274
Dangers of Child Sexual Abuse to Victims
Experiencing sexual abuse can have long-term physical and psychological problems for a child. These victims usually endure a difficult childhood, affecting how they interact with other people in general.
Here are other effects of child sexual abuse:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Unwanted pregnancies
- Bruising and force injuries
- Anxiety and depression
- Restraint injuries
- Sexually transmitted infections, such as herpes, syphilis, and gonorrhea
- Persistent feelings of shame and guilt
- Relationship and intimacy issues later in life
- Substance abuse
- Sleeping disorders
- Dissociative patterns
- Eating disorders
Why do Victims Take Long to Come Forward?
Many child sexual abuse victims don’t come forward to seek justice until they become adults. Per the Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, various factors influence the decision to disclose child sexual abuse later in life. They include:
- Being scared that no one will believe them
- Repressed memories of the abuse
- Failure to understand that what they went through was child sexual abuse and it was wrong
- Feeling ashamed and embarrassed of their experiences
- Trying to protect their families or the perpetrators
- Being scared of the perpetrator’s power and level of influence in the society
- Struggling with the psychological effects of the abuse
- Being in love with the perpetrator and fearing that they’ll lose them
- Not having the right words to describe the abuse
Recoverable Damages in Child Sexual Abuse Cases
Child sexual abuse results in unparalleled trauma that victims may never recover from. Even though these cases are not about money, a Doral child abuse lawyer on our team can help you recover financial compensation to cover damages like:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished life quality
- Punitive damages
The Statute of Limitations on Sexual Abuse Cases in Florida
Florida has different statutes of limitations for sexual abuse cases based on the type of crime that occurred. It can be difficult to identify the deadline that applies to you. So, you may want to speak to a Doral child sexual abuse lawyer to guide you on how to file a lawsuit as you focus on making a complete physical and mental recovery.
Contact Dolman Law Group for a Free Case Review
To start pursuing justice for a child sexually abused, it may be best to speak to a Doral child sexual abuse lawyer at Dolman Law Group. Our team will do everything possible to ensure that the perpetrator is held accountable for their crimes and that you get closure. Call for a free case review.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
8400 NW 36th St Suite 450
Doral, FL 33166