No reliable statistic reports how many people slip and fall down each day. This is likely because many of those people brush themselves off and go on their ways with minimal disruptions to their lives. However, millions of people must visit emergency departments in the United States every year to seek treatment for fall-related injuries.
When you think about a fall injury, you may think of someone who has fallen down stairs or from some other high place. However, the number—and severity—of injuries that take place due to falls on even floors may surprise you. Many people do not realize just how badly a slip and fall can injure them until they or a loved one falls.
After a slip and fall injury, you may have the right to hold another party liable for your medical bills and other injury-related losses. The best way to fully know your legal rights is to call an experienced Doral slip and fall lawyer who has represented clients in these types of cases. Sibley Law has protected the rights of injured clients for years, including those injured in slip and fall accidents. Call today to discuss your accident and injuries with a member of our legal team.
Common Slip and Fall Related Injuries
While injuries caused by slip and fall accidents can vary widely, certain types of injuries are particularly common. Such injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – Slip and fall victims can experience mild, moderate, or severe TBIs. The most common form of mild TBI is a concussion. Many people who slip and fall end up hitting their heads on the ground or nearby objects. Even the slightest trauma to the head can result in a concussion or a more serious brain injury. Concussion symptoms can last a few weeks and can disrupt your ability to perform everyday tasks at home or work. More severe TBIs can leave life-damaging, even permanent, consequences.
- Neck and back injuries – A sudden fall can easily twist or wrench someone’s neck or back. A quick awkward movement is enough to cause pain and limitations for weeks to come. Many neck and back injuries require painkillers and a long course of physical therapy before a victim can return to normal and live pain-free.
- Soft tissue injuries – When parts of the body suddenly stretch in abnormal ways, the ligaments, muscles, and tendons can sprain, strain, or tear. Sprains and strains are extremely painful and may limit victims’ movements for weeks while they rehabilitate soft tissue and regain strength with physical therapy. Tears can require surgery and patients can face long recovery periods as well as physical limitations. Some soft tissue tears will prevent patients from ever resuming previously enjoyed activities, such as playing sports.
- Broken bones – A broken bone usually causes immediate pain and requires medical attention as soon as possible. Some broken bones will heal after a few weeks, while others may require surgeries or additional treatments. Older adults who slip and fall are at a particular risk of breaking hips. This can result in surgery, which can prove risky for older patients, and many victims of broken hips must move into assisted living facilities for a period of time—or even permanently.
- Spinal cord injuries – Every spinal cord injury requires emergency medical care. Damage to the spinal cord tissue can disrupt a victim’s movements and sensory abilities in many parts of the body, causing partial or total, temporary or permanent, paralysis and loss of sensation.
Many slip and fall victims need to go to the emergency room for treatment and may rack up numerous medical bills during the following weeks and months after the accident. One second of slipping and falling can result in missed work, lost income, medical bills, and many other financial struggles in addition to pain and suffering. In many circumstances, however, you have the legal right to seek compensation for all of these losses.
When Can You Recover Compensation After a Slip and Fall?
Falling simply because you lost your balance does not necessarily give you the right to hold anyone else responsible for your injuries. However, many slip and fall accidents take place as a result of negligence on the part of a business or property owner.
When businesses invite the public in, they have the duty to keep their premises in safe conditions for their customers. This includes inspecting the premises on a regular basis, addressing any possible hazards, or warning customers if hazards may exist. Courts can deem businesses that breach this duty negligent and legally liable for any injuries that result. Examples of negligence in slip and fall cases include:
- Wet or slippery floors without proper warning
- Failure to clean spills or debris from the floor
- Ramps without railings or slip-proof flooring
- Carpets that slide or shift
- Worn flooring that becomes slippery
Our Doral personal injury attorneys can help you file a claim with a company’s liability insurance or file a personal injury claim in court if necessary. We will negotiate tirelessly to obtain a favorable settlement for you to compensate you for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Discuss Your Rights with a Doral, Florida, Slip and Fall Lawyer Today
If a slip and fall accident injured you, Sibley Dolman is here to help. We will evaluate what happened and advise you of your rights. If we can hold another party liable, we handle every step of the legal process for our clients. Please contact our office at (727) 451-6900 or write to us and schedule a free consultation today.
Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
8400 NW 36th St Suite 450
Doral, FL 33166
What Our Clients Have to Say:
“My experience with this law firm has been extremely pleasant. After being involved in an accident where I was injured, I was able to seek treatment from the best doctors in the area. I was lucky to have a team that assisted in scheduling my appointments that worked around both my full time work schedule and my demanding grad school schedule. Even with a move out of state to New York, I was able to remain with this law firm and continue treatment in south Florida while remaining under the care of the doctors that I felt most comfortable with. Even though I suffered injuries and experienced difficulties in that aspect, the team here was able to make sure that I was able to continue work and stay on track with grad school all while I moved to a new state.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!