Losing a loved one is a devastating experience, but it's even more painful when someone else's irresponsible or negligent actions cause their death. Florida law defines these heart-wrenching situations as wrongful deaths, which include medical malpractice cases and drunk driving accidents.
A senseless, preventable death will leave families grappling with grief, unanswered questions, financial stress, and uncertainty about how to pursue justice.
Our Bonita Springs wrongful death lawyers dedicate themselves to helping families navigate the legal aftermath of these tragedies.
The team at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, can provide the legal counsel you need during this challenging time and use our considerable resources to hold the responsible parties accountable.
- Schedule A Free Consultation
- Bonita Springs Wrongful Death Lawyers: Why Choose Us
- Understanding Wrongful Death Under Florida Law
- Damages Families Can Pursue in a Wrongful Death Claim
- The Challenges of Dealing With Insurance Companies After Wrongful Death
- We Make a Difference for Grieving Families in Bonita Springs
Bonita Springs Wrongful Death Lawyers: Why Choose Us
At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we understand that each wrongful death case is not just about legalities—it's about a life tragically cut short. When the unthinkable happens, you need an advocate who understands the complexities of Florida's wrongful death laws and can hold the liable parties accountable.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, has been a leader in wrongful death litigation in Florida for years and secured favorable verdicts and settlements for families suffering preventable deaths. We provide comprehensive services, including handling paperwork and negotiating with insurance firms, and bear the legal burden so families can focus on healing.
If you've lost a loved one under tragic circumstances, call Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, for a free case evaluation today.
Understanding Wrongful Death Under Florida Law
When someone dies under negligence-related circumstances, Florida's wrongful death laws provide legal recourse for their surviving family members.
You must meet specific legal requirements for filing a claim on these grounds, which involves proving the following four elements of negligence:
- Duty of care: The defendant owed the deceased a duty of care, meaning they had a legal responsibility not to cause them preventable harm.
- Breach of duty: The defendant failed to uphold that duty through negligence or carelessness, which includes taking action or failing to act when necessary.
- Causation: The breach of duty was the direct cause of the individual's death, meaning that without the defendant's negligent actions, the death wouldn't have happened.
- Damages: There is evidence of tangible or intangible damages, or losses, resulting from the defendant's negligence, including funeral expenses, loss of income, and noneconomic costs, such as the emotional pain and suffering of the surviving family members.
Examples of Negligence Causing Preventable Deaths
Negligence can take many forms, including professional mistakes and reckless behavior.
The following are common examples:
- Medical malpractice: A medical professional's failure to diagnose a severe condition or error during surgery results in death.
- Automobile accidents: A driver's recklessness, such as drunk driving or texting while driving, leads to a fatal crash.
- Workplace incidents: An employer fails to provide a safe working environment, and a fatal accident in the workplace occurs.
- Defective products: A product malfunctions and causes death. The company that supplied faulty brakes or a malfunctioning medical device, for example, may be responsible under the product liability law.
- Premises liability: Someone dies after an accident, such as a slip, trip, or fall, because a property owner failed to maintain their premises.
These are just a few instances where negligence can result in wrongful death. Each case is unique, and the specifics always matter.
How Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, Approach Wrongful Death Cases
At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we take a compassionate and comprehensive approach to wrongful death cases.
Our team will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation: Every case begins with a detailed investigation to determine the cause of death and identify all negligent parties. We gather evidence, including medical reports and eyewitness testimonies, to build a compelling case.
- Determine legal grounds: Based on our extensive knowledge of Florida's wrongful death laws, we determine the legal grounds for your claim, ensuring it's sound and compelling.
- Consult with specialists: We work closely with professionals from various fields, such as healthcare providers and accident reconstructionists, to strengthen our client's claims and consider all factors.
While no compensation can bring your loved one back, holding the responsible parties accountable can provide some closure. The Bonita Springs wrongful death lawyers at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, Bonita Springs, will fight tenaciously on your behalf throughout the claims process.
Damages Families Can Pursue in a Wrongful Death Claim
The claims process aims to help families with the financial consequences of losing a loved one, which are often significant and far-reaching, and bring a sense of justice. Families can seek compensation for a range of economic and noneconomic damages to account for the harm they've suffered.
Economic damages aim to compensate the family for the measurable financial losses they've experienced and will face in the future due to their loved one's death.
These typically include:
- Medical expenses: To cover any medical treatment the deceased received before their passing.
- Funeral and burial costs: For the immediate associated expenses of laying a loved one to rest.
- Lost earnings: To cover the projected earnings the deceased would have provided to their family had they lived.
- Loss of benefits: This can include insurance coverage, retirement benefits, or other financial advantages the family would have enjoyed.
- Loss of inheritance: An estimate of what the deceased might have saved and left behind for beneficiaries had they lived a full life.
These damages address the emotional and psychological effects of losing a loved one. While noneconomic damages are harder to quantify, Florida personal injury courts consider these losses to be just as real and worthy of compensation.
They can include:
- Mental anguish: The emotional distress experienced by surviving family members due to their loved one's death.
- Pain and suffering: The emotional and psychological trauma the deceased experienced before their passing.
- Loss of parental guidance: Children can claim for the loss of support, guidance, and education they would have received from the deceased parent.
- Loss of consortium: The losses a spouse experiences due to the death.
- Loss of protection and nurturing: The guidance, care, and protection that the deceased would have provided to family members.
How We Evaluate Wrongful Death Cases to Determine Compensation
At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, our approach to determining the appropriate damages in a wrongful death case is not just about crunching numbers but also understanding the depth of the loss a grieving family is experiencing.
- Calculate economic damages: We work closely with financial and vocational professionals to estimate the deceased's potential career trajectory and calculate immediate and projected financial losses.
- Assess noneconomic damages: We recognize the family's grief throughout the legal process and consider each member's unique relationship with the deceased.
The wrongful death lawyers at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, passionately advocate for families who've lost someone due to negligence and fight to secure the financial support they deserve.
The Challenges of Dealing With Insurance Companies After Wrongful Death
In most wrongful death cases, the family files a claim against the at-fault party's liability insurer to seek financial compensation. Insurance companies, however, are notoriously profit-driven, even in the most tragic circumstances. An experienced Bonita Springs wrongful death lawyer can level the playing field when you face these providers and their legal teams.
Insurance companies minimize or avoid payouts by:
- Denying liability: They may argue that their policyholder was not at fault or that the deceased contributed to their death, even when evidence suggests otherwise.
- Downplaying the value of the claim: Insurance adjusters might undervalue the cost of medical bills, funeral expenses, and other damages, hoping the family will accept a lower settlement.
- Delaying the claim: The adjusters may stall, hoping families get desperate and accept a lower settlement. They might request excessive documentation to drag out the process, for example.
How Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Handle Insurers
At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we know the strategies insurance companies use to discourage families and reduce payouts for wrongful death cases.
To counteract these tactics, our attorneys:
- Investigate: We gather evidence to solidify your claim, preventing insurance companies from challenging the facts of the death or the extent of the resulting damages.
- Negotiate: Our attorneys have the negotiation skills to challenge any lowball offers and will push for a fair settlement using the strength of our evidence.
- Prepare for litigation: If the insurance company refuses to offer a fair settlement, we can take the case to court. Our skilled litigators have a record of winning against large insurance firms.
Dealing with the loss of a loved one is hard enough without the added stresses and risks of dealing with insurers. The team at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, will advocate for your interests and ensure the fair treatment of your family.
We Make a Difference for Grieving Families in Bonita Springs
Losing a loved one prematurely due to negligence can cause overwhelming hardships, which legal complexities amplify. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, supports grieving families in Bonita Springs throughout the challenging claims process. We make a difference by providing personalized legal support to protect your rights and dignity. Some of the steps we take to seek the justice and compensation you deserve include:
Handling Every Aspect of the Legal Process
Wrongful death claims are notoriously complex, involving mountains of paperwork and strict legal deadlines, including the statute of limitations. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, navigate these intricacies to prevent errors that could jeopardize your claim. Whether it's gathering evidence or filing documentation correctly and promptly, we prioritize your case and consider every detail.
Maximize the Amount of Compensation Available
Your family shouldn't bear the financial burden of someone else's negligence. The experienced team at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, can build a robust case considering your family's losses. We will seek compensatory damages for your immediate financial costs, emotional suffering, and loss of future earnings.
Provide Guidance and Support Throughout the Process
Our commitment to grieving families extends beyond the courtroom. We know navigating the legal system is incredibly difficult, especially when coping with the emotional fallout of a tragic loss. We provide empathetic support and regular updates regarding the progress of your case. Our team can answer your questions and clearly explain the claims process.
At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, our mission is to stand beside grieving families in Bonita Springs to manage the legal process and strengthen your case. If you've experienced a loss due to another's negligence in Bonita Springs, don't navigate this journey alone.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, is here to represent you and work tirelessly to recover the compensation you deserve. Call today, and let our skilled Bonita Spring personal injury lawyers advocate for you in your pursuit of justice.
With offices across both Florida coasts, you can easily reach Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, at (239) 307-2634, or you can write to us using our online contact page.