Enfamil Increases the Risks of NEC in Premature BabiesThe Enfamil baby formula comes from cow milk, and mothers use it to substitute for human breast milk. Young infants who consume the Enfamil baby formula have high chances of getting NEC at two to six weeks. You should be aware that the American Academy of Pediatrics strongly advocates against feeding infants Enfamil with cow milk.
Six Facts to Know About NEC
- NEC is a condition that usually affects premature babies born at 37 weeks or earlier.
- It affects the inner intestinal walls of the large or small intestines.
- The tissues of the intestinal walls rapidly die due to gastrointestinal bacterial infection.
- Cases of NEC range from mild to fatal.
- If you don't treat the infection in time, it may allow harmful bacteria to escape to the digestive system and enter the abdominal cavity.
- Severe NEC cases can be life-threatening or cause short bowel syndrome for the rest of your child's life.
Symptoms of NEC
- Infant refusing to feed
- Diarrhea and bloody stool
- Green or yellow vomit
- Changes in blood pressure, breathing, heart rate, and body temperatures
- Distended abdominal cavity
Risks of Using NEC Infant Formula
- Lifelong nutritional issues
- Severe infection in the body
- Hole in the intestines
- Intestines scarring on narrow areas
- Liver problems
- Short bowel syndrome
- Unable to absorb food or nutrients
- Need for IV feeding
- Intestinal problems
Who Is Liable for My Child's Injuries?The formula manufacturing company for Enfamil is Mead Johnson & Company. Currently, there are almost twenty Enfamil baby formula products on the market, such as Invacare.
Examples of Enfamil Products for Premature Infants
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier
- Enfamil Premature Infant Formula 20 Cal Iron
- Enfamil Premature Infant Formula 24 Cal with Iron
- Enfamil Premature Infant Formula 24 Cal with protein
- Enfamil Neuropro Enfacare Infant Formula
Types of Lawsuits Against EnfamilThere are currently dozens of lawsuits against Mead Johnson. Despite Enfamil's risks to infants, the company continues to sell the product without warning you about the dangers. We're assisting victims in filing a lawsuit and getting the financial compensation they deserve. The type of lawsuit you can file against the Enfamil company could include:
- Breach of warranty
- Failure to warn of injury or illness by use of the product
- Strict liability laws
- Intentional misinterpretation
- Negligent misinterpretation
- Wrongful death
Documents You Might Need to File an Enfamil Lawsuit
- Evidence of your relationship with the infant
- The infant's birth certificate
- Documentation to prove your infant's admission to the NICU
- Medical records that indicate a medical practitioner's NEC diagnosis and the date of diagnosis
- Medical records of the infant's NEC symptoms
- Records indicating which gestation period you gave birth to the child
- When the infant is deceased, a death certificate can act as evidence
Getting Compensation for Your Damages From EnfamilWe seek the largest settlement possible to cover your damages which may include the following:
- Lost income while you're caring for your child
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital and NICU bills
- Ambulance trips
- Labs and medical equipment rentals
- Funeral expenses
Dolman Law Group Is Prepared to Fight for You in Chatham County, GADuring this difficult time, it helps to have a lawyer on your side who can take care of the footwork while you help your child recover. Our legal team is ready to take on your case and help you stand up to Enfamil. Here are a few ways we can assist you:
- Investigate Enfamil for patterns and evidence of negligence
- Review medical records and speak to medical professionals
- Calculate your estimated damages
- Communicate with insurance and opposing counsel
- Complete paperwork and file your claim
- Negotiate with Enfamil for a settlement
- Prepare and represent your case in court if a settlement can't be reached