- What You Need to Know About Our Firm
- Common Causes of Davie Car Crashes
- Common Injuries Following a Davie Motor Vehicle Accident
- Damages You May Recover Following a Davie Car Accident
- Car Crashes in DavieâThe Local Information You Need to Know About
- Dealing With the Insurance Company Following a Davie Car Crash
- What Should You Do if Suffered Injuries in a Davie Car Accident
- Davie Car Accident FAQs
- Contact a Davie Car Accident Attorney Today
What You Need to Know About Our FirmAt our core, the Dolman Law Group is a litigation and trial law firm, ready to represent our clients and fight hard for the money they need, even if that means heading to court. This is because when we take on your case, we are here to bat for you, ensuring you feel supported every step of the process and going after the outcome you deserve. That is why since our founding, we have been able to secure millions of dollars through settlement negotiations and jury trial verdicts, including the following recent judgments:
- $1.58 million for an auto-accident
- $1 million for a car accident resolution
- $5 million for a car crash resulting in burn injuries
- $3.85 million for a semi-truck accident
- $939,000 rideshare accident
Common Causes of Davie Car CrashesWhile car accidents can occur for a number of reasons, in Davie, these accidents tend to frequently happen because of:
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Not abiding by traffic signs or signals
- Rear-end car collisions
- Motor vehicle defects
- Running into stationary objects
Common Injuries Following a Davie Motor Vehicle AccidentDepending on the circumstances of the car collision, there are many possible injuries that can result. However, in general, these injuries tend to include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries and back strains
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Fractured bones
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Significant lacerations
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Severe burns
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Wrongful death
Damages You May Recover Following a Davie Car AccidentTypically, after a car crash in Davie, there are three main types of damages that you can pursue. They include the following:
Economic DamagesThese damages compensate for out-of-pocket costs that a victim sustained after an accident, including:
- Current and future medical expenses related to doctor bills, prescription medications, surgeries, emergency services, ambulance rides, hospitalization, and other medical treatments
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings potential
- Property damage, including repair and replacement expenses
- Replacement at-home services
- Life care services
Non-Economic DamagesThese types of damages tend to compensate for the more abstract losses, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Lost sexual function and lost companionship
- Loss of quality and enjoyment of life
Punitive DamagesThese damages do not compensate you for the losses that resulted from the accident or your pain and suffering. Rather they punish the wrongful party for their malicious actions and deter this unacceptable behavior. However, to obtain punitive damages following a Davie car accident, the victim would have to show, through convincing and unmistakable evidence, that the wrongful party committed acts of gross negligence or intentional misconduct. Consequently, courts do not award these damages for every car accident claim that arises in Davie.
Car Crashes in Davie—The Local Information You Need to Know AboutAs mentioned previously, car accidents can occur for many different reasons. However, one thing to point out in Davie and Broward County is that there are certain local areas that give rise to these collisions more frequently than others, including certain dangerous intersections that are more prone to fatal car accidents. These intersections include:
- South University Drive and Southwest 24th Street
- Sunrise Boulevard and Andrews Avenue
- Sunrise Boulevard by the FEC Railroad
- Pines Boulevard and South Flamingo Road
- Las Olas Boulevard and A1A
- Sunrise Boulevard overpass at Highway I-95
- U.S. 27 and Griffin Road
- Northeast 26th Street and North Federal Highway
Time Limitations to Pay Close Attention ToAnother issue in Davie that you have to stay aware of is the time limitations involved in filing a legal case after a car crash. According to the statute of limitations, individuals only four years from the accident to file an accident claim following a car crash. If they do not file this claim within this deadline, the statute of limitation will expire, and the court will dismiss the lawsuit, preventing these victims from seeking compensation for their losses and injuries following the accident. However, exceptions to this rule can change this filing period. As a result, if you want to ensure your case is filed before this time expires, it may be a good idea to go over your accident with an experienced Davie car accident attorney. For instance, at the Dolman Law Group, our lawyers can not only figure out the maximum amount of time you have to file your case, but we can also ensure your legal files and motions are submitted before the statute of limitations runs out. Plus, just because you may have years to file a legal case, it is not always best to wait that long to pursue legal action. You need to remember that over time, there is a higher chance of evidence disappearing or getting lost, individuals no longer being able to testify on your behalf, or people forgetting what happened. And when this occurs, these issues can ultimately hurt your case and impact the amount of money you can obtain.
Dealing With the Insurance Company Following a Davie Car CrashAfter a car accident, it is normal for the insurance company to get involved. Unfortunately, this does not mean that you will have a better chance of securing money for your injuries or that these companies will want you to succeed in your claim or help you obtain the money you deserve. In fact, these companies are known for trying anything to secure the most money possible, which happens when they deny your claim or pay you less than you deserve. For these reasons, after a car crash, it is usually recommended that you watch what you say to these companies since they will use anything against you. Even better, before you speak with these companies, you should discuss the incident with a well-informed car accident lawyer who can help you take on these insurance companies and their deceitful practices. These legal professionals can even handle these conversations for you, ensuring you do not say or do something that can hurt your case and impact your recovery.
What Should You Do if Suffered Injuries in a Davie Car AccidentIf you suffered harm in a car crash in Davie, there are certain steps you should take after the accident that can protect your legal rights and help you strengthen your legal case if you decide you want to pursue legal action. These steps include the following:
Call the PoliceTry to call the authorities immediately after the accident or have someone around you call 911 if you cannot do it yourself. This is the quickest way to get emergency medical assistance to the scene and get your accident on record. Once the officer arrives and performs an investigation, they will prepare an accident report detailing their findings and whether anyone was arrested or cited for the accident. This report can help your attorney by providing them with useful evidence regarding what transpired and who was at fault.
Obtain Details From Others at the SceneTry to obtain the contact and insurance information of the other drivers, as well as their driver's license number and information regarding their cars, such as make and model. In addition, if there were people who saw the incident, try to also get their personal contact information. These witnesses can provide your lawyer with further details regarding the accident that they can use to help your case, as well as testimony that can corroborate your claim. However, as you exchange this information with the other individuals, you will want to watch what you say and the comments you make. For example, innocent statements such as “I am sorry” or “It was my fault” can be used against you by the other side to hurt your case and reduce the amount of money you can receive.
Take Photos and Videos After the Car CrashIf it is possible, you should try to gather as much evidence from the accident scene as you can. This should include pictures of the vehicles and their positions on the road after the accident, the damage to the cars, skid marks on the road, traffic lights and signs near the crash scene, the weather conditions, road and traffic conditions at the time of the accident, and any visible injuries you can see.
Check-in With Your DoctorAfter the collision, even if your injuries appear minor or you do not feel any pain, you should still get checked over by a doctor to ensure you do not have any serious, hidden injuries. Additionally, identifying these injuries as soon as possible can help your attorney prepare a more substantial and convincing claim to help you seek maximum compensation.
Discuss Your Accident With a Davie Car Accident AttorneyTry to discuss your accident with a Davie car accident attorney as soon as you can. These legal professionals can go over your legal rights and options and help you figure out the best course of action you should take. However, when you meet with these lawyers, make sure you bring with you all the accident reports you have, including your medical and police report, bills, and other documents related to the accident, your injuries, and your losses. Your attorney can use these documents to prepare your case, determine the extent of your damages, and help you go after all the money you need.
Davie Car Accident FAQsFollowing a car accident, it is normal to have numerous questions about your legal options and the steps you should take next. However, until you can go over these issues with an experienced Davie car accident attorney, the following FAQs will walk you through some of the more common questions our clients often have after a motor vehicle collision. We hope with these answers, you have the clarification you need to know what you should do next.
1. How Do You Know if You Have a Viable Injury Claim After a Davie Car Accident?Unfortunately, just because you may have been harmed in a Davie car accident, it does not mean you automatically have a viable injury claim that you can pursue. In truth, there are numerous questions and factors that an attorney will have to review to determine whether you have a valid legal case, including the severity of your injuries, whether insurance is available following the incident, and how much time you have to pursue legal action. As a result, it is often recommended that you speak with an experienced Davie car accident attorney, like those from the Dolman Law Group, as soon as possible after an accident. These lawyers can promptly review the facts of your accident, figure out if you have a viable legal case, and determine the legal action you should take next.
2. Do You Have to Go to Court to Secure Compensation Following a Davie Car Crash?Most automobile car accident claims will settle outside of the courtroom through the negotiation process. However, if the insurance company is playing games and is not willing to provide you with the money you need, your lawyer may decide to pursue further legal action by taking your case to trial and fighting for the financial recovery you deserve.
3. Who Can I Hold Responsible for My Davie Car Crash?Although most people think determining liability after a car crash should be easy, this is not always the case. In some instances, the wrongful party can even be an individual or company that was not present at the scene of the crash. For instance, you might purse compensation for a Davie car crash from:
- The at-fault driver
- Governmental agencies
- Car manufacturers or car-part manufacturers responsible for a defective product that caused the accident
4. What Is Florida's No-Fault Law, and What Does It Mean for Your Davie Car Accident?Davie follows the state's no-fault laws, meaning that if you are involved in a car accident, you need to first file a claim with your own insurance company. This is regardless of who was responsible for the accident. However, if you sustained serious trauma, you may be able to pursue a lawsuit against the wrongful party and go after damages that are not provided under no-fault laws. Yet, to fully understand your legal options, it is a good idea to discuss your accident with an experienced attorney. At the Dolman Law Group, our legal team can help you understand your rights and the actions you can take next.
5. Should You Give a Statement to the Insurance Company, if They Want One Following a Davie Car Accident?Before you go into detail about your accident with the insurance company, it is always better to err on the side of caution and discuss the incident with an experienced Davie car accident attorney first. You must remember that the insurance company is not here to help you or ensure you get the money you need. Rather, they, too, want to make a profit. That is why they will try everything they can to offer you less than you need. Consequently, when you provide them with a statement, they may use these comments against you to decrease the amount of money they offer you or even to deny your case altogether. Thankfully, when you work with a knowledgeable car accident lawyer, these attorneys can handle these conversations for you and make sure you do not say something that you may regret later.
6. How Much Is a Davie Automobile Accident Case Worth?Because each car accident case is different, with its own set of unique facts and circumstances, no lawyer will be able to tell you exactly how much money you can obtain following a car crash. In truth, there are just too many variables that can impact how much money you can receive. Take, for instance, these factors that can affect the value of your case:
- The type of injuries that you suffered due to the accident
- The extent of these injuries
- The medical treatments you will require as a result of the injuries you endured
- Whether the injuries resulted in a permanent disability
- Your ability to work following the accident and the amount of lost wages you suffered
- The extent of your pain and suffering
- Your ability to take part in everyday, normal activities
- The need for replacement services
- The wrongful party's culpability
- The number of defendants involved
- The reliability of the evidence and witnesses presented
7. Should You Take the First Settlement the Insurance Company Offers You Following a Davie Car Accident?Although it may seem like great news to get offered money from the insurance company following a car crash, you should be wary of accepting this money without first determining if this amount is fair to you. As you know, the insurance company will try anything to get you to accept the least amount of money possible. That is why they may try to offer you a settlement amount when you are most vulnerable in hopes that you will not think twice before accepting it. However, this amount is often so meager that it does not cover all of the current costs, let alone your future bills, needs, and expenses. For these reasons, before you accept a settlement from the insurance company, you should first verify whether this amount is reasonable to you. Thankfully, when you discuss these settlement amounts with an attorney, these skilled legal professionals can figure out whether the offer will cover all of your current costs as well as your future expenses. If it does not, they can go back to the insurance company and fight for more money.
8. How Much Will It Cost to Hire a Davie Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney To Handle Your Case?Most car accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they will not get paid unless you win your case and receive a case settlement or jury trial verdict. As a result, working with a Davie car accident attorney, like those at the Dolman Law Group, is virtually “risk-free.” Your attorney will only receive money when they are successful in your case, and only then will they take an agreed-upon percentage of your recovery which is often around 33 percent. However, the exact amount will depend on a variety of factors and the specific circumstances of the legal claim. For these reasons, if you want to know precisely what you may owe or how much working with a car accident attorney will cost, you can contact the Dolman Law Group and discuss your case with us. We can go over our contingency fee arrangement and help you understand what fees you may be looking at down the road.
9. What Are My Options if I Lost a Loved One in a Davie Car Accident?If you lost a loved one in a Davie car accident due to another person's wrongful actions, you may pursue compensation for the harm and losses you suffered from losing your family member. In Florida, a wrongful death claim can recover compensation when a business, entity, or person causes a loved one's death through negligence, breach, wrongful act, or default. Or in other words, if an individual dies because of another person's wrongful actions, certain family members can obtain a monetary recovery. However, to bring this legal action in Davie, a personal representative acting on behalf of the deceased's estate and any surviving family members must first file the wrongful death lawsuit. If the suit succeeds, it may recover two types of damages:
Financial Damages to the Deceased Person's Family
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship, protection, and guidance
- Expenses paid by the surviving family members such as medical and burial expenses
- Loss of support the deceased provided their family
Financial Damages to the Estate
- Lost benefits, wages, and other types of earnings from the date the deceased was injured to the time of their death
- Expenses paid by the estate, including medical and funeral bills
- The value of earnings and other benefits the decedent could have reasonably been expected to retain as savings and leave to their estate had they survived the accident.
10. How Can an Experienced Davie Car Accident Attorney Help You Following a Motor Vehicle Accident?Following a car crash, you have enough on your mind as you recover after this devastating accident or watch your loved ones recover. The last thing you should worry about is the legal motions you have to file or how to prepare convincing legal arguments to prove your case. Fortunately, with an experienced Davie car accident attorney, like those from the Dolman Law Group, you will not have to take on these legal tasks alone. Instead, after you retain this legal team, they can handle everything for you. Our lawyers can:
- Review your accident and figure out whether you have a viable legal claim you can pursue.
- Discuss your legal options and what course of action may be best for your case.
- Scrutinize the accident and obtain the evidence needed to show who was at fault, what happened, and the damages you suffered.
- Hire experts to help prove your case, including accident specialists, doctors, and financial specialists.
- Fight for the maximum compensation you deserve, through settlement negotiations or by taking your case to trial.