According to the United Spinal Association, at least 296,000 Americans are living with a Spinal Cord Injury (SCI), and around 17,900 cases of SCI are reported every year. Spinal cord injuries can be severe and can happen to anyone due to many different factors. However, this injury is common in traffic accidents. If you sustain a spinal cord injury (SCI) due to negligence, you may have a right to claim compensation from the liable party. The Boca Raton spinal cord injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group are ready to fight for you. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
There are several types of spinal cord injuries that you can sustain after an accident, and some of the most common include:
- Nerve damage or spinal contusions - This is one of the most common types of spinal cord injury that can be mild or temporary with faster recovery durations. Although this injury is temporary, you need to see a doctor and ensure its correctly diagnosed and treated.
- Complete spinal cord injury - As the name suggests, this type of injury permanently destroys how the spinal cord communicates with the brain. With this injury, the victim forever loses their nerve functions, motor functions, movement, and sensations below the damage. This leads to complete paralysis below the affected area, resulting in paraplegia.
- Incomplete spinal cord injury - This is when your spinal cord can still send some signal to the brain. With a partial injury, your body will maintain some sensation and movement functions, but the amount of movement or feelings will depend on the injury's severity. An incomplete injury can fall under various categories: posterior cord syndrome, anterior cord syndrome, central cord syndrome, and cauda equina syndrome.
Spinal cord injuries can also damage the fiber tracts. These nerves carry signals from the spinal cord to the brain and back. If you have a severe injury, the spinal cord may still get signals or sensations, but it will be unable to communicate with the brain. With time, you may have a permanent loss of strength and sensation.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Boca Raton
Spinal cord injuries usually occur due to accidents, and various contributing factors are often at play. In Boca Raton and other metropolitan areas, SCI can occur due to:
- Car Accidents - Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents are some of the leading causes of spinal cord injuries in the United States. Auto accidents can happen due to speeding, driving under the influence, and any other negligent activity.
- Sports Injuries - These injuries are common in sporting and recreation activities, such as wrestling, rugby, football, cheerleading, snowboarding, and gymnastics. Since some spinal cord injuries happen when the spine suffers blunt trauma from vigorous activity, such sporting activities are likely to cause harm.
- Slip and Fall - This accident is common among senior citizens, and it includes tripping down a flight of stairs, unsafe conditions such as loose carpets or wet floors, slipping in the bathtub or shower, or falling while reaching for an object in a high place. Unintentional falls are also typical in the workplace and on commercial premises.
- Violent Acts or Assault - Stabbing, shooting, and other violent acts can cause severe trauma to the spinal cord and result in an injury. A stab or gunshot wound can puncture or cut the spinal cord, resulting in permanent or severe damage.
Other causes of spinal injuries can include medical malpractice, defective products, tumors, infections, or diseases like spina bifida, transverse myelitis, polio, and multiple sclerosis. It can also be caused by cancer or inflammation around the spinal tissue. If the injury is due to negligence, your lawyer will investigate the cause, establish the negligent party, and file a claim or lawsuit as per the law.
Compensation in Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries result in various economic and non-economic damages. Depending on the severity of the accident, your lawyer can help you recover compensation for damages like:
- Current and future medical expenses - This covers the cost of hospitalization, prescription medication, surgeries, and other hospital or doctor bills resulting from the injury. Since this injury can lead to disabilities or paralysis, the damage will also cover all future medical expenses.
- Loss of current and future wages - If you have to miss work due to an injury, you can claim compensation for the income you have lost during hospitalization and recovery. If you cannot go back to work because of the injury, you can also claim loss of future wages.
- Pain and suffering - Dealing with this injury and its impact is physically, mentally, and emotionally painful. Victims have a right to claim for the pain and anguish they have to endure due to the injury.
- Physical rehabilitation - Depending on the type or severity of the injury, the victim may have to undergo rehabilitation sessions to adjust to their new life or deal with the injury.
- Disability - If the injury results in a disability, you have a right to claim compensation for the disability. While claiming disability cannot restore normal functions, it will help you adjust to your new way of mobility. This damage also includes the cost of a wheelchair or walking device.
- Home and vehicle modifications - If you have to renovate your home or modify your vehicle to accommodate a wheelchair or similar devices, you can claim compensation for the expenses you incur.
To ensure you have a valid claim, ensure you seek medical attention as soon as possible after the accident or injury. Document all the expenses you incur to ensure you receive total compensation and then contact a Boca Raton personal injury lawyer who can help you receive compensation for your damages.
Contact a Boca Raton Spinal Cord Injury Attorney Today
A spinal cord injury can be one of the most severe injuries. To ensure you're compensated for your injury due to someone else's negligence, you should consider getting legal help. Our Boca Raton spinal cord injury lawyers at the Dolman Law Group are ready to fight for you. Do not hesitate to contact us today for a free case review.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
301 Yamato Road, Suite 1240
Boca Raton, Florida 33431