Sibley Dolman, Serving Car Accident Victims in Boca Raton
Boca Raton has grown from only a few hundred people to nearly 100,000 in the last 90 years. With some of the most affluent communities in the United States, gorgeous ocean fronts and beaches, and many opportunities for high-end shopping and dining, it should be no surprise that thousands of people want to live in Boca Raton or visit each year.
To support the population growth and tourism, Boca Raton has a network of roads and highways, including Federal Highway, Dixie Highway, and Mizner Boulevard, which runs along the popular Mizner Park shopping mall. Most people in the area drive cars as their primary form of transportation and you can constantly see cyclists and pedestrians out and about, as well. With so much going on at any given time, the potential for accidents is high.
A sudden car accident can disrupt your life in many ways. Many injuries require you to stop everything and undergo treatment, which may include refraining from working or engaging in your usual activities. Car accident injuries can be painful and difficult to deal with and some victims may suffer permanent injuries – a constant reminder of their accident for the rest of their lives.
While dealing with the aftermath of a car wreck is never easy, receiving compensation for your many losses can ease the stress and financial burden of a serious injury. However, many car accident victims might be unsure of their rights or the necessary steps to take to seek compensation. You should never hesitate to contact a law firm that regularly represents car accident victims throughout Palm Beach County.
The Boca Raton Car Accident Lawyers of Sibley Dolman offer free consultations and can advise you of your legal options for compensation. Please call our office at 561-220-4963 or contact us online to learn more about our services today.
Car Accidents in Florida
You can go years without being involved in a crash but it is important to be aware that a crash can happen at any time. Accidents are more common than most people realize and the following are some statistics from 2016 from the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) department:
- 668,699 drivers were involved in 395,785 reported accidents
- On average, 1,081 crashes happened each day
- Accidents caused 254,155 injuries
- Accidents caused 21,645 incapacitating injuries
- Accidents caused 3,176 fatalities
These statistics are staggering and demonstrate that you are at risk of getting into a crash anytime you drive. While you can never be fully prepared to handle severe injuries, you can remember that you have rights and help is available.
Reported Car Accidents Involving Injuries in Boca Raton
What Caused Your Crash?
It is important to identify what caused your accident and whether another party may be held liable – especially in cases involving serious injuries. Someone can be liable if their negligence led to the crash, which means that they breached their duty to drive safely in some way. There are many different acts of negligence that may be involved in car accident cases, including the following:
- Distracted driving – In recent years, Florida has ranked as the second-worst state for distracted drivers and has some of the least stringent texting and driving laws in the entire U.S. Distracted drivers are a real threat on Florida roads and Boca Raton is no different. While many driving distractions do involve smartphones and other handheld devices, even hands-free technology can cause serious distractions, often while the driver believes they are being safe. Distracted drivers can operate their cars erratically or may not notice traffic or obstacles until it is too late to avoid a serious crash.
- Impaired driving – Even though every driver should fully recognize the risks and potential consequences of drunk or drugged driving, people continually make the dangerous decision to drive while they are impaired. While Florida law enforcement officers are on the lookout for drunk drivers, it is impossible to catch every driver and often, a driver will cause a serious crash before they are arrested. While an arrest can lead to criminal consequences, it can do surprisingly little to compensate accident victims for their injuries and losses. Instead, victims of impaired driving crashes should contact an experienced attorney who understands how to handle this type of case and protect their rights.
- Aggressive driving – It’s all too easy to become frustrated or impatient with other drivers, especially if you are in a rush. Some drivers allow such frustration to escalate and cause them to become aggressive on the road or to even develop road rage. Aggressive drivers can be erratic, can violate numerous traffic laws, and may even try to threaten or injure other drivers on purpose. If you see signs of aggressive driving, you should always give that vehicle space and if you are hit by an aggressive driver, our law firm is here to help.
- Violating traffic laws – Florida has hundreds of traffic laws on the books, all of which are intended to keep motorists safe. When a driver fails to adhere to these laws, they put others at risk of a serious accident and injuries. Some common dangerous violations include speeding, following too closely, failing to obey signs and signals, and failure to yield, among many others. Like drunk driving, a traffic citation or arrest is not enough to ensure that accident victims are properly compensated for their losses.
The above are only some examples of negligence that causes Boca Raton car accidents. Our attorneys can evaluate what happened and advise you about your options to recover for your losses.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Traumatic Brain Injuries: Injuries suffered to the head that damage the brain. These injuries can be caused either y a direct blow to the head or by violent shaking of the head as well. These injuries typically result in impairment of a person’s cognitive abilities and can potentially be permanent. Common traumatic brain injuries include concussions, brain contusions, and coup contrecoup injuries.
Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can affect the body’s ability to send and receive messages to and from the brain to the rest of the body. A common effect of a severe spinal cord injury is paralysis. Spinal cord injuries can often be permanent and cause incontinence, motor function issues, and issues with sensation in the limbs.
Broken/Fractured Bones: The immense trauma that can come with a car accident can easily lead to a driver/passenger’s bones to be broken or fractured. Depending on which bones were affected, the severity can vary greatly. Broken hips, vertebrae, and pelvises can often be very serious with legs and arms being broken being less severe but knocking people out of commission for long periods of time.
Whiplash: When someone is struck by a car, their head may jerk violently due to the inertia of their body moving while another force acts on the vehicle. These immense forces acting on a person’s head and neck being jerked violently can cause whiplash which can end up being serious if untreated. Whiplash can cause severe headaches and pain in the neck and back.
Common Car Accident Damages
Every car accident is different and victims can have extremely varied injuries and losses. Some damages after a crash may include:
- Costs of past and future medical care
- Lost income from missed work
- Lost earnings if a victim is unable to return to work
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent injuries
Some injuries may require a course of medical treatment to heal, but an injury victim may be able to return to life as they knew it in a few weeks or months. However, medical treatment is costly and any lost income can negatively affect your household finances. Even if your injuries were not life-changing, you still deserve full financial recovery.
On the other hand, some car accidents can permanently disrupt the lives of victims. When someone suffers a permanent injury that causes impairments or disabilities, almost every aspect of their life can change. The financial losses may be ongoing and devastating, as can the pain and suffering that comes with catastrophic injuries. These cases can be particularly complex, as you must consider the lifelong losses you face. There is so much on the line and it is critical that you have a legal team with the knowledge and resources to represent you in these claims.
At Sibley Dolman, we know that your situation after a car accident is unique and that your injuries and losses can have a serious impact on your life. We handle all types of injury cases, including those involving permanent injuries. Please do not hesitate to call to learn more about how we may help you.
Seeking the Financial Relief You Need
Car accident claims in Florida are no simple matter. First, in many cases, the law requires you to file a claim with your own personal injury protection (PIP) insurance – even if you were not at fault. This no-fault insurance coverage is limited, however, and often does not fully cover car accident losses. Even if your losses are within the policy limits, receiving full compensation from PIP coverage can be difficult – even though it is your own insurance policy. You should always discuss your situation with an experienced Florida PIP insurance attorney before filing your claim or accepting any settlement offer.
If your injuries are serious, it is likely that your PIP policy will not be sufficient to cover your losses. If this is the case, your attorney can identify whether you have the right to take additional action by filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance policy. You may need to file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver to receive the settlement offer you deserve. Our attorneys develop legal strategies in each case to best protect your rights to full compensation and we handle every step of the insurance and litigation process.
Contact a Boca Raton Car Accident Attorney to Discuss a Possible Claim
The lawyers at Sibley Dolman understand how stressful a car accident can be. We have seen the struggles of our clients with serious injuries and new financial, physical, and emotional challenges in life. We handle all aspects of your case to ease your stress and allow you to focus on your recovery from your injuries.
The best way to understand all of your legal rights and options is to speak with an accident attorney in a consultation with our Boca Raton accident and injury law firm. Case evaluations are free with no obligation, so please call us at 561-220-4963 or contact us online for more information today.
Sibley Dolman Accident Injury Lawyers, LLP
301 Yamato Road, Suite 1240
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
What Our Clients Have to Say:
“Chad Robinson always responded immediately whenever I had questions or concerns. He worked hard to make sure I received what I deserved.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!