What Is NEC?Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) is the medical term for a condition that typically affects newborns in their initial few weeks of life following delivery. Even in mild instances of NEC, infants are at risk of wrongful death, and even those who survive the virus have long-term health and developmental problems.
- Premature and low birth weight newborns given cow-based formulas are more likely to develop NEC than babies fed breast milk or other non-milk cow's-based formulas.
- When NEC starts in the intestines, the lining might thin and eventually degenerate because of inflammation.
- When the tissue lining the intestines starts to die, the illness may quickly spread throughout the digestive system.
- The NEC may eat away at the intestinal walls in the most severe instances, resulting in a perforation.
- Bacteria can leak into a baby's abdominal cavity if there is an intestinal hole.
- If you don't diagnose this and treat it promptly, infection, sepsis, and other problems might occur.
Signs and Symptoms to Watch ForIf you've fed your baby an Enfamil formula recently, here are signs of illness to keep an eye out for. If you see your child developing any of these symptoms, call your pediatrician or get emergency medical care.
- Ileus (hinders digestive muscle contractions)
- Apnea (breathing stops and starts randomly)
- Lethargy (extreme lack of energy)
- Inability to eat well and gain weight
- Diarrhea with blood or dark-colored stools
- Green or yellow vomit
- Abdominal pain and swelling
- Changes in heart rate, blood pressure, or body temperature
Enfamil: A Risk Factor for NECMany occurrences of NEC in preterm newborns occur in neonatal intensive care units (NICUs). In the NICU, infants who have had a traumatic delivery or severe health issues due to their preterm or other congenital disorders get care to help them develop and flourish. These newborns are often fed formula as part of the NICU's daily routine. Babies in the NICU benefit the most from the nourishment provided by breast milk. If parents are unable or choose not to provide breast milk, hospital staff may use formula instead. As a result, there is a lot of Enfamil used in NICUs around the country. But studies have revealed that babies who consume formula made from cow's milk are more likely to get NEC. Breastfed babies are less likely to have this disorder than those who are fed formula.
Enfamil's Response to the Dangers of Their FormulaEnfamil is aware of the connections between their product and the development of NEC in newborns, especially those born prematurely. And yet, Enfamil continues to produce and distribute these milk-based formulas to healthcare practitioners for use in NICUs. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has yet to incorporate a warning label on their infant formula. We can make a difference in the lives of families throughout the nation by working together and bringing the companies responsible to justice. Their irresponsibility is unforgivable when you think about the harm their product presents to innocent children.
Get Compensation for Enfamil-Related Injuries in Orange CountyYour case is one of a kind. To get the compensation you deserve, you'll need to consider the unique circumstances of your case and the health of your baby. Treatment for NEC is often costly, and the long-term expenses of NEC are challenging to predict. You have the legal right to pursue compensation for your infant's injuries and the resulting harm. While some infants may only have short-term health issues due to formula-induced NEC, others may experience lasting health problems. There could be a lot of financial and emotional hardships for your family if you don't get the compensation you deserve. An Enfamil lawsuit can cover the following damages:
- Expenses related to your infant's medical treatment now and in the future, if they are permanently injured or disabled
- Because the baby's vulnerable status necessitates additional care, parents lose income
- Permanent impairments that hinder newborns from enjoying their lives to their fullest potential
- Infection, damage, and medical treatments like surgeries that may follow, causing pain and suffering
How Our Lawyer Serving the Orlando Area Can HelpWhen you're ready to file, don't go it alone. Our Orlando personal injury attorneys are serving the Orlando area, and we can help you get the substantial compensation you deserve. Here's how an Orlando Enfamil lawsuit lawyer can support your case:
- We'll investigate Enfamil and Mead Johnson for evidence of negligence.
- We can complete and file paperwork within the 4-year statute of limitations in Florida.
- Our office can deal with Enfamil's calls, pressure, and settlement offers.
- We're prepared to represent you in court to fight for your compensation.