Injured motorcyclists deserve compensation for damages another person caused. However, insurance companies can make claims feel overwhelming and frustrating. In Hialeah, Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers helps residents recover from the financial consequences of a motorcycle accident.
We believe motorcyclists should not have to suffer alone. Our Hialeah motorcycle accident attorneys work hard to get the results you need.
Table of Contents
- Why Choose Dolman Law Group?
- Common Motorcycle Accidents in Hialeah
- Leading Causes of Motorcycle Collisions
- Who Is Liable for a Motorcycle Accident?
- Ways Insurance Companies Mislead People
- Types of Compensatory Damages
- How to Prove Negligence in a Motorcycle Accident Claim
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact a Hialeah Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
Why Choose Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA?
Insurance companies have the resources to fight claims with significant payouts. Victims of motorcycle collisions in Hialeah need a dedicated firm to stay by their side. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA has a trustworthy team ready to assist you.
Our track record shows how our personal injury attorneys have the experience to take on any defendant. For instance, we secured a $1.4 million settlement in a motorcycle case involving multiple injuries. We won roughly $1 million for another client who suffered from a traumatic brain injury.
Every case is unique and there is no guarantee of success in all cases, but our team can determine the most effective way to maximize the value of your claim. We work with you every step of the way and keep you updated on any progress. You can make informed decisions about your case.
Furthermore, we ensure you receive quality care. While some firms do not notice your medical needs, we can connect you to a network of doctors to improve your wellbeing. Our office understands the importance of a client feeling supported.
If you find yourself looking for a qualified motorcycle accident lawyer, give Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA a call. An initial meeting with us is free.
Where Are Motorcycle Accidents Likely to Happen in Hialeah?
Plenty of traffic accidents occur in Hialeah, and a portion involves motorcycles. Some of them happen on several of the major roadways around the city. The area connects to Interstate 75 and State Road 826. Multiple intersections like West 12th Avenue pose a risk as well.
Since Hialeah has a population of over 228,000, many people drive on its roads. Additionally, the area is next to Miami. As a result, many visitors arrive daily. The potential size of traffic during the day increases the possibility of motorcycle accidents.
Motorcycle collisions can take place anywhere. Regardless if you were in a neighborhood or on the highway, our firm is here to assist you.
Common Motorcycle Accidents in Hialeah
In Florida alone, over 620,000 people registered motorcycles. The number of motorcyclists means a higher chance of a crash in places like Hialeah. The rider usually is less visible to large vehicles. As a result, they are likely to get into a wide range of accidents.
Several common situations motorcyclists may experience on the road are:
- Head-on collisions. The driver might veer into the opposing lane and hit an oncoming motorcycle. Typically, head-on collisions are more dangerous for riders due to fewer barriers. Many victims experience catastrophic injuries.
- Left-hand turn accidents. Some motorcyclists collide with a driver who is making a turn. Crashes at intersections account for an estimated 42 percent of fatal motorcycle collisions. Vehicles in the left-hand turn lane have to yield to oncoming traffic. Negligence could have caused someone to crash into a motorcycle.
- Rear-end collisions. A few reported motorcycle collisions involve a vehicle tailgating the rider in front. If a motorist is close behind someone, they risk an accident during a sudden stop. A person in a car might sustain minor injuries, but a motorcyclist could fall off their bike and experience serious bodily harm.
- Sideswipe accidents. In a sideswipe collision, the sides of a motorcycle and another vehicle make contact. The event generally happens when someone changes lanes and does not see the other person. The liable driver might have failed to check their mirrors or blind spot before crashing into you.
- Single-vehicle crashes. A few motorcycle crashes do not involve another vehicle. Fallen debris or slippery roads could cause the rider to run off the road or fall off their bike. Even though no other person was present in the accident, a party could still be liable.
A motorcycle accident can come in any form. Our firm is ready to investigate your claim to determine how everything happened.
The Leading Causes of Motorcycle Collisions
If another party is responsible for your injuries, you have the right to sue them. However, one of the steps is to show how the person's actions directly led to the accident. Your lawyer can help you determine the root cause and gather evidence.
Possible reasons a motorcycle accident happens include:
- Unsafe road conditions. A few of the streets in Hialeah might have uneven pavement or potholes. Bumps and dips in the road can cause riders to lose control of their bikes. Additionally, the city experiences plenty of stormy weather in the summer months. Heavy rainfall may reduce traction on the pavement.
- Inattention. All motorists need to pay close attention to their surroundings. However, many of them face distractions from electronics and other people. When someone performs multiple tasks, their brain is less likely to focus on one fully. The driver may not notice a motorcycle moving in front of them or brake suddenly.
- Speeding. A vehicle requires a greater stopping distance if it accelerates. At 30 miles per hour, a car needs almost 90 feet to brake safely. If a person goes above the speed limit and tailgates, they become liable for an accident.
- Mechanical errors. Some motorcycle accidents are not the result of a driver's error. A problem with a person's motorcycle equipment could be the cause of injuries. When the driver crashed into you, they might have lost control due to faulty brakes.
- Alcohol. When someone has had a few drinks, they should not get behind the wheel. Most states punish drivers with a BAC of 0.08 or above. A motorcycle accident victim can hold the drunk motorist accountable for their reckless actions.
Many crashes are because of a party's negligence. Liability is not clear in every case, but our attorneys know how to find the facts.
Who Is Liable for a Motorcycle Accident?
Negligence has multiple requirements the victim has to prove. The liable person in a claim is the one who meets each element. Different possible parties could owe you compensation for damages. In most cases, the motorcyclist would take legal action against a driver.
Motorists generally are the ones who exhibit careless actions by speeding or failing to yield to traffic. The person might have been on their phone or committed another traffic violation. Drivers have many ways they can endanger riders.
A Government Agency
You may have the right to file a motorcycle accident claim against a government department. One way the city can be liable would be if an employee crashed into the motorcyclist. To file a successful claim, the government worker needed to have acted while on duty.
An agency can be liable for improper road design as well. The layout of a street, highway, or intersection may be dangerous for motorcycles. For instance, the road could block the view of oncoming vehicles for people making a left turn.
Furthermore, the government can be negligent for the lack of road maintenance. If a department knew of a pothole and did not act in time, the victim may start a claim.
If the cause of the motorcycle accident was a defective part, you could pursue legal action against the creator. Manufacturers must create reliable designs and conduct safety tests. A few companies cut corners during production and assembly.
A minor defect can lead to substantial consequences. However, the issue may not be noticeable at first. At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we work hard to uncover the underlying problem. We make sure to hold the correct party responsible.
Ways Insurance Companies Mislead People
A motorcycle accident lawyer's services can help your claim in multiple ways. One reason to hire an attorney is to avoid deception from the other party's insurance company. When the adjuster calls you, they may act friendly and concerned about your wellbeing.
Release Medical Documents
The adjuster's tone aims to catch motorcycle accident victims off guard. As a result, the representative is more likely to convince a claimant to release their medical records. The person on the other line may state they need the documents to settle your claim. However, they want to examine the records to find a reason to pay you less.
Request Recorded Statements
Insurers ask victims for recorded statements as well. The adjuster might make you feel obligated to give your side of the story. However, they likely will ask leading questions to change the narrative in their favor. They could use your words to reduce your claim's value or deny payment.
Say Lawyers Are Unnecessary
Another way the insurance company may try to mislead you is by saying you do not need a lawyer. Other insurers argue a firm is far more expensive than what the claimant's budget would allow. Their statements are untrue.
Adjusters know attorneys are not afraid to fight for fair compensation. A lawyer shields you from the pressure from the insurance company and protects your rights. They provide their services on a contingency basis as well. Therefore, you do not pay unless you win.
Even though the agent speaks like a friend, their goal is to protect the company's interest. You can trust our team to look out for you during a difficult time.
Types of Compensatory Damages
A settlement includes all the compensatory damages the defendant must reimburse you for after a crash. The severity and number of losses you claim in a lawsuit influence the amount of money you receive. Compensatory damages fall under two categories.
One group is economic damages, and examples include:
- Medical expenses. A lawyer considers past and ongoing healthcare costs when determining a settlement figure. You can seek reimbursement for medication, physical therapy, surgeries, hospital stays, and the purchase of a medical device.
- Motorcycle repairs. A collision generally results in a victim needing to see a mechanic. Some people have to buy a replacement if the damage is beyond repair. You have the right to demand compensation from the opposing party.
- Lost wages. Injuries from a motorcycle crash usually leave an individual out of work for a while. A catastrophic injury could affect their ability to earn income in the same capacity. The court can award the plaintiff missed wages and loss of earning potential.
Other types of losses may fall under non-economic damages. Non-economic means the nature of the damage is not quantifiable. Your lawyer has to provide an accurate estimate for compensation.
Non-economic damages include:
- Mental anguish. A person has a relatively high degree of mental and emotional pain due to their injuries. Some people may refer to the damage as emotional distress as well.
- Pain and suffering. The traumatic event of a motorcycle collision can lead to physical and mental discomfort. A person might experience changes in their mood or a loss of appetite.
- Scarring or disfigurement. You could have the right to claim compensation for the lasting physical effects of a severe injury. Disfigurement can lead to psychological harm and impact a person's ability to enjoy life.
When our lawyers investigate your claim, we can discover what damages you accumulated. We work hard to secure adequate compensation for your losses.
How to Prove Negligence in a Motorcycle Accident Claim
Like other accident claims, you need to prove the other side was negligent. Negligence has four elements you have to meet. The first is to establish how the defendant owed you a legal duty of care. All motorists must keep others safe while on the road.
The next step is to prove the opposing side breached their duty of care. The driver did so through careless action or inaction. While someone did something they should not have, their behavior may not have caused the crash directly. Therefore, you would link the person's behavior to the accident.
Lastly, you have to provide evidence the defendant's action resulted in damages. Once you satisfy each element, the court can award compensation.
Contact a Hialeah Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
A defendant might fight back against your claim, especially if a lot of money is at stake. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA has the expertise to stand up to the insurance company and negotiate. You can trust us to maximize the potential of a favorable outcome.
Contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA today to get started. Consultations with us are free.
Find a Hialeah Motorcycle Accident Injury Attorney Today
A auto accident claim can raise plenty of questions. Our team of Hialeah motorcycle accident attorneys at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA is here to alleviate any of your concerns. We have years of experience with complex lawsuits and can tell you what you need to know about your case.
Not every claim ends with the same result, but you can expect our lawyers to work efficiently to maximize your case's value. Contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA to schedule a consultation to learn more about what you can do after your collision. The initial meeting is always free.