A premises liability claim arises when an individual suffers an injury in an accident caused by a dangerous condition or hazard on another party’s property. Property and business owners have the responsibility to keep the premises reasonably safe and they can be found negligent and liable for a victim’s losses should they fail to do so. In order to prove negligence in a premises liability case, you must show the owner knew or should have known about the potentially dangerous condition and failed to either correct it or adequately warn visitors or patrons about the hazard. The following is some additional information regarding this type of personal injury case.
Common parties in a premises liability claim
Dangerous conditions that lead to accidents and injuries can exist in many different types of places—both business and residential properties owned by private and public entities. The following are common adverse parties in a premises liability claim:
- Grocery stores
- Retail stores
- Department stores
- Nightclubs or bars
- Fitness centers or gyms
- Government buildings
- Resorts and hotels
- Amusement or theme parks
- Shopping malls
- Construction sites
- Parks or sidewalks
- Condo or apartment complex owners
- Private homeowners
The approach that you take in your legal claim will vary depending upon the type of premises on which the accident occurred. Additionally, your case may be subject to different time lines or procedural rules if the accident occurred on public or government-owned property. It is imperative to consult with a premises liability lawyer who knows how this type of case can differ and knows how to address any issues to ensure you receive the maximum compensation possible.
Accidents due to hazards or dangerous conditions
Many different types of accidents can occur on business or residential properties alike and the following are only some examples of accidents that are commonly at issue in premises liability claims:
- Slip and falls on even surfaces due to wet or slippery floor surfaces
- Trip and falls due to obstacles in the walkway, uneven surfaces, or unsecured wires
- Falls on stairs or escalators due to dangerous conditions
- Elevator accidents due to poor maintenance or manufacture
- Merchandise falling from high shelves onto the heads or necks of patrons
- Sharp edges on counters, showcases, carts, or other objects that cause puncture wounds or lacerations
- Faulty doors or hinges that smash fingers or slam on a patron
- Overcrowding of a premise that results in pushing, shoving, or even trampling
- Shopping cart injuries
- Assaults due to inadequate security in stairwells, parking lots, garages, or other common areas
- Injuries due to a failure to clear snow, ice, oil, or correct other slippery conditions
- Toxic exposure due to hazardous substances or chemicals
- Poisoning from food or beverages provided on the premises
- Injuries caused by dangerous conditions around swimming pools
- Failure to maintain fitness equipment in gyms or fitness centers
The specific allegations in your case will, of course, depend on the particular circumstances of your accident and your injuries. Our skilled premises liability attorneys will build an effective claim based on the type of accident that occurred, the injuries that you sustained, and the losses you incurred.
An experienced St. Petersburg premises liability lawyer can assist you
Filing a legal claim against a business for premises liability can be intimidating and can involve many different relevant laws and procedures. Too often, injured victims fail to ever pursue a legal claim because they believe it may be too much of a hassle. However, with the assistance of a skilled St. Petersburg premises liability attorney, you can successfully prove the business or property owner was negligent and can receive the full amount of financial recovery you deserve. At the Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, our attorneys have handled many types of premises liability claims and will strive for the best possible results in every case. Please do not hesitate to call an experienced personal injury attorney at the Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for a free consultation at 727-222-6922 today.
Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
1663 1st Ave S.
St. Petersburg, FL 33712