Ride-share apps like Lyft provide a helpful service to Sarasota residents, but accidents still happen. Whether you are a driver or a passenger with Lyft, Florida gives you the right to seek compensation for any injury-related expenses and losses caused by negligence. Victims of accident-related injuries often have no idea how to proceed; the process of filing a claim, collecting evidence, and negotiating with insurance companies is understandably overwhelming. In your quest to recoup your losses, you may find the assistance of a personal injury attorney an invaluable asset.
At the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we represent a variety of clients who have experienced severe injuries from car accidents. We can help clients work through the legal process, beginning with a free consultation. Please get in touch with us today at (727) 451-6900 if you were in a Lyft accident.
While past examples are not a guarantee of results, the Lyft Ride-Share Accident Lawyers at Dolman Law Group has successfully handled numerous complex cases involving severe injuries. Many of our clients have experienced catastrophic injuries, and we understand how complicated claims can become with the added component of ride-share vehicles.
Ride-Share Accident Injuries
While many victims of ride-share accidents walk away with only minor injuries, not everyone is so lucky. Additionally, some injuries seem minor at first, but can quickly result in severe complications if undiscovered. If you experience any of these common car accident injuries, you should speak to an attorney as soon as possible:
- Spinal cord injuries – Back injuries may lead to nerve damage, which can impact the control you have over your body. In some cases, these injuries lead to permanent paralysis.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Traumatic brain injuries are common in car accidents and can range from mild concussions to permanent cognitive impairment. You may require long-term medical care to treat these injuries.
- Whiplash – Whiplash is common in rear-end accidents. The injury commonly results in swelling, but serious whiplash can lead to vocal cord paralysis and long-lasting neck pain.
- Broken bones – Broken bones and fractures commonly occur in accidents, and healing can be a lengthy process that hinders your ability to work. Some broken bones even require surgery.
Finding Fault in Lyft Ride-Share Accidents
Ride-sharing apps like Lyft are still very new industries, and legal precedent does not yet exist for many cases. To battle this complexity, your personal injury attorney will need to work diligently to ensure negligent actors are held accountable.
Whether or not ride-sharing services are held accountable for accidents depends on the case. Drivers who work for these companies are considered independent contractors, not employees. For this reason, Lyft may deny responsibility for any accidents involving their drivers. In most cases, drivers for these services are unlikely to have the means to compensate the victim of a serious accident; additionally, many insurers may refuse to honor a claim depending on the terms of the driver’s policy. Large enterprises like Lyft also retain highly-experienced legal teams to shield the organization from liability; it is important to retain an attorney to maximize the strength of your case.
Drivers for ride-sharing services are required to hold an auto insurance policy, though they are not required to have commercial insurance. If you are the driver of a ride-share and caused an accident, you may be on the hook to cover some expenses. If you are concerned about your risk of liability as a driver for Lyft, it’s important to speak with an attorney; a skilled attorney can help you understand how to properly mitigate your risk of liability, and how to obtain the proper coverage to ensure you are protected in the event of an accident.
If the driver of another car caused the accident, your personal injury case might be comparable to other car accident cases. Both drivers and passengers alike are protected under the law and may be entitled to compensation for injuries and damage caused by the negligence of another driver.
Recovering Damages from Ride-Share Accidents
You may recover a variety of damages from Lyft ride-share accidents. Even if your injuries are not permanent, you have the right to seek compensation for your expenses in court. Common damages include:
- Lost wages – Your injuries from a ride-share accident may result in time away from work for medical appointments and recovery. Some injuries may even prevent you from returning to work at all. When lost wages add up, you may find yourself in dire financial straits; in many cases, both past and future losses of income may be awarded.
- Pain and suffering – You may be eligible to receive compensation for non-economic damages, including pain and suffering. If you are contending with permanent disability, disfigurement, or loss of enjoyment of life, you may receive compensation.
- Medical bills – With the rising costs of medical care, paying for even minor injuries can quickly become overwhelming. Individuals with health insurance still find themselves paying for emergency room care, hospitalization, medications, surgeries, and other treatment. Compensation for injuries may also include therapeutic treatment, rehabilitation, and ongoing expenses resulting from disability.
Why You Should Hire a Personal Injury Attorney for Ride-Share Accidents
Ride-Share services like Lyft are often able to dodge responsibility for ride-share accidents. While Lyft may hold $1 million in liability coverage, it is still common for ride-share enterprises to avoid liability for your injuries. Drivers should know that company coverage includes liability, but it does not necessarily pay for damage to your vehicle or your medical expenses if you are deemed at fault for the accident.
If you are a passenger in a Lyft, you may experience difficulty getting in touch with the company to report a loss. Other drivers and their insurance companies are also often able to shirk responsibility for automobile accidents. They may shift blame to other drivers, or even to you. Hiring an attorney can make sure that doesn’t happen.
Working with a Personal Injury Attorney for Lyft Injuries
More than 20 million people are injured in car accidents each year. To prevent negligent actors from getting out of paying their fair share, it’s vital to consult with an attorney right away. The laws regarding ride-shares are continually shifting with new regulations and technology; a skilled personal injury attorney can ensure victims aren’t proceeding without the proper protection.
As the victim of a ride-share accident, you might be wondering if you can afford to hire a personal injury attorney to handle your case. Victims of negligence should never forego justice due to inability to pay; this is why consultations with our team of experienced professionals are always free. Cases are managed on a contingency basis, meaning you pay nothing up front to retain an attorney.
Your medical health should be the first priority following an accident. The next step is securing legal counsel as soon as possible. If you have been injured in a Lyft ride-share accident, get in touch with our attorneys to learn how we can assist you with your case. Call (727) 451-6900 for a free consultation.