When a child is born prematurely, doctors may feed them formula, such as Enfamil, to help them put on weight. Unfortunately, consumption of this formula has been tied to babies suffering health complications, including allergic reactions, brain damage, and Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC). If your child had any of these issues after having Enfamil, Dolman Law Group can help you seek justice.
A Los Angeles Enfamil lawsuit lawyer with our firm can assist you in identifying the responsible parties and holding them accountable.
Enfamil: What Is It and Why Is It a Threat to Preterm Babies?
Enfamil is an infant formula brand made from cow milk and other natural components. Mead Johnson & Company is the company that makes it. Enfamil can be harmful to low-weight or premature babies. And yet, Mead Johnson & Company fails to give adequate warnings about the product’s life-threatening risk to vulnerable infants.
Ideally, premature newborns should have human breast milk. Unfortunately, breastfeeding isn’t always possible in NICUs, so many NICU doctors supplement natural milk with Enfamil human milk-based fortifiers. One issue is that a preterm infant’s intestines may be unable to properly digest Enfamil or other forms of baby formula, leading to Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) and other complications.
The Danger of Necrotizing Enterocolitis
NEC is an inflammatory condition that mainly affects a preterm baby’s intestines. Inflammation of the intestines can breach the wall, allowing germs to escape into the abdomen and cause an infection. NEC-affected babies may exhibit the following symptoms:
- Swelling and discomfort in the stomach
- Heart rate, body temperature, blood pressure, and breathing pattern fluctuations
- Diarrhea accompanied by bloody stools
- Vomit that is green or yellow
- Refusing to eat, causing a lack of weight gain
All of the above symptoms might indicate impending harm, and NEC-affected newborns can pass away. Furthermore, even if the newborns survive, NEC may still have negative consequences as they grow older, such as:
- Delay in neurodevelopment
- Strictures and adhesions in the gastrointestinal tract
- Short bowel syndrome, either with or without intestinal failure
These disorders might have a long-term influence on your child’s entire life, not just a few years. You deserve compensation for your current and future damages, and a Los Angeles lawyer at our firm can help you get what you deserve.
Los Angeles Enfamil Lawsuit Lawyer Near Me 833-552-7274
Premature Babies are More Likely to Develop NEC
According to Cleveland Clinic, 90% of babies with NEC are born early. NEC cases are more common in preterm newborns that fit into one or more of the following categories:
- Infants born before the 37th week of pregnancy
- Babies fed through a stomach tube
- Babies born weighing less than 5.5 pounds
Every year, many babies are born prematurely or with a low birth weight in the United States, and many of them will ingest formula before developing NEC. Even more parents are left without an awareness of these issues.
If you’re one of these parents, you can speak up and join other parents in taking legal action by calling our firm. You’ll not only be helping yourself, but you’ll also be helping bring about the change required to end this tragedy.
For a free legal consultation with a enfamil lawsuit lawyer serving Los Angeles, call 833-552-7274
Who’s Responsible for My Baby’s Suffering?
When a company sells consumable products to the masses, the company must give a clear warning of danger or side effects to consumers as applicable. Mead Johnson & Company and other such corporations failed to do so.
You may file a lawsuit against Mead Johnson & Company for the following reasons:
- Providing FDA authorities false assurances that their products most closely resemble breastmilk.
- Telling consumers their products are safe through marketing campaigns—some even saying that the products are better than human milk.
- Medical costs incurred due to your child contracting NEC and the disease’s long-term effects.
- Pain and suffering that you and your child may endure from their illness
Combined, Mead Johnson & Company and Abbott, the manufacturer of Similac, have considerable resources and marketing ability to influence what nourishment to use in hospital and NICU settings; that’s the problem. You may even file medical malpractice claims against medical staff and hospitals who failed to give other nourishment options for your child, but instead, choose a cow’s milk-based formula like Enfamil.
Do You Have a Strong Enough Case to File a Lawsuit?
Even if your infant appears to be sick or unwell, you may be unsure whether you have the legal standing to sue. It’s natural to be concerned, given that you’ll be up against a major multinational company like Mead Johnson & Compay. To clear any doubt, begin by asking yourself the following questions:
- Was your child born prematurely?
- Was your infant given Enfamil or another formula at the hospital?
- Was there a lack of warnings about the risks of using cow’s milk formula for preterm babies?
- Is your child suffering from necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC)?
If you responded yes to these questions, you could sue Mead Johnson & Company. As Mead Johnson fails to alert doctors and parents about the higher risk of premature babies consuming Enfamil in developing NEC, the company has received many lawsuits. If your child was seriously injured or died due to being fed Enfamil, you deserve someone on your side who can assist you in holding the wrongdoers accountable.
How Our Los Angeles Attorneys Can Support Your Case
After your child is diagnosed with NEC or another illness after ingesting Enfamil, you should spend your time with them—not figuring out the legal system. Leave that to one of our attorneys. They can:
- Build an evidence file
- Name the liable parties
- Communicate with the insurance companies and other lawyers
- Fight for a fair financial recovery—in or out of court
- File your lawsuit
Your lawyer will work for you on contingency, so there are no fees unless they win for you.
We Can Help You With Your Enfamil Case
You can speak with a Los Angeles Enfamil lawsuit lawyer from Dolman Law Group to learn more about your legal rights. For a free case consultation, please call today. Our team is available to provide compassionate legal counsel and guidance.