If you or your loved one have been injured in an accident where the driver was drunk, you could retain an Aventura drunk driving accident lawyer. The victims of these accidents can be left paralyzed or even scarred for life. At Dolman Law Group, we strive to protect these victims' legal rights and help them get back on their feet.
Laws Regarding Drunk Driving That Could Prove Relevant to Your Case
Florida considers drunk driving a serious crime. Florida Statutes § 316.193 states that anyone who drives with a blood-alcohol level of 0.08 or higher is guilty of driving under the influence (DUI). When a driver is first issued with a DUI, they can pay a fine of $500 to $2,000 and face up to six months in jail.
The jail term can increase to nine months if there was a minor in the vehicle or the driver's blood-alcohol level was above 0.15. The driver must also serve 50 hours of community service and up to a year of probation. The driver might also lose their driver's license for up to a year. Additionally, a DUI stays in a driver's record for 75 years.
If a drunk driver causes an accident, they deserve to be held accountable for their negligence. Reach out to our auto accident lawyers to get started on the legal process and hold the at-fault party responsible for their actions.
Common Drunk Driving Accidents in Aventura We See at Our Practice
Alcohol impairs a driver's ability to make sound judgments on the road and act fast when they're required to. Here are some common accidents caused by drunk drivers in Aventura.
- Head-on collision: When a drunk driver suddenly swerves onto the opposite lane of traffic, it can be difficult for other drivers to react in time to stop a head-on collision.
- Rear-end crash: Since drunk drivers have little control over their judgment, rear-end accidents are a typical crash that they cause.
- T-bone crash: Also known as a side-impact crash, this occurs when a vehicle hits another vehicle from the side. This is primarily due to one driver failing to stop at a red light.
- Wrong-way accidents: When a driver turns the wrong way in a one-way lane or enters a freeway off-ramp, they cause a wrong-way crash.
Common Drunk Driving Accident Injuries We See at Our Boca Raton Practice
Injuries sustained in drunk driving accidents may range from minor cuts and bruises to more life-threatening injuries and death. Here are some common injuries in drunk driving accidents:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
Apart from physical injuries, victims and their families could suffer mental health trauma such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression from the accident. If a drunk driving accident injured you, you could seek compensation from the at-fault driver with the help of an Aventura lawyer.
Collecting Compensation After a Drunk Driving Accident in Aventura
Recovering from injuries sustained in a drunk driving accident can be overwhelming for the victims and their families. If you were injured in a drunk driving accident in Aventura, Dolman Law Group can recover damages and make the healing process easier.
Our lawyers will review the facts of your accident and determine what to include in the personal injury claim.
Any accident that causes injury can affect your financial stability. Here are some of the economic damages you could recover from a drunk driving lawsuit:
- Lost wages: Lost wages cover any time you missed at work because of the accident. This includes the time you spend during doctor's visits, surgery, or recovery. If your injuries are severe, you could even claim the future wage losses you expect to suffer.
- Medical bills: When you sustain injuries in an accident, the medical bills pile up quickly. Medical costs you could face from your drunk driving accident include reimbursement for medication, surgery, doctor's visits, and hospital stays. You could also claim physical therapy and other necessary procedures the recovery process requires.
- Medical equipment: If you bought special medical equipment like a wheelchair or a hospital bed after the accident, you should include it in your claim. You can also recover the costs it took to make modifications in your home, such as adding wheelchair ramps or railings or widening the doors.
- Training: If you were too injured to return to your former job, you could have to enroll in career training to find a new position. Your attorney should help you recover the costs associated with the college or trade school training.
You could intangible losses that don't come with a receipt but are still compensable. These could include:
- Loss of enjoyment of life: This refers to when you can no longer participate in activities that pleased you before the accident. This includes sports and other hobbies.
- Pain and suffering: Injuries from a drunk driving accident can be excruciating and slow to heal. Pain and suffering covers the physical ordeal and emotional or mental distress resulting from the accident.
- Loss of consortium: This applies to the spouse or family member of the accident victim. The injured victim can no longer provide the love, affection, or companionship they could deliver before the accident.
With all these recoverable damages, it can be beneficial to retain an attorney for help filing a claim or drunk driving lawsuit. Our lawyers at Dolman Law Group have represented drunk driving accident victims and secured the justice they needed.
Holding Drunk Drivers Responsible for Their Actions
Dolman Law Group, Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, understands the devastating consequences of drunk driving accidents. As a result, we strive to help victims get the compensation and justice they deserve.
Call us today at (954) 302-7068 and get a free consultation and case review from our team. Our drunk driving lawyers are ready to support your Aventura family.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
PERSONAL INJURY LAWYERS
20803 Biscayne Boulevard Suite 101,
Aventura, FL 33180
What Our Clients Have to Say:
“So happy I chose Dolman Law Group!!! My experience with the law firm right from the start was fast, friendly and understanding. I started treatment for my injury right away, and while I was focusing on getting better the firm was fighting for me. Incredibly happy with the outcome, thank you to Brent and the team for all the hard work and updates.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!