Hit-and-run accidents often leave victims hurt, permanently disabled, or worse. Often, survivors are left to deal with spiraling costs since the offenders disappear, escaping liability. You don't have to feel alone when this happens to you. A Boca Raton hit and run car accident lawyer may be able to help you.
What to Do After a Car Accident
The minutes, days, and weeks after an accident can be stressful. To help you alleviate some of that burden, follow these practices.
- Stop:Don't leave the scene of the accident, even if the other driver has.
- Call the police:Rather than follow the fleeing car, call the police and report the accident. Provide any details of the other vehicle that you can. Request an ambulance if anyone has been seriously injured.
- Seek medical assistance: Do this even if you feel fine. Get checked for internal organ or tissue damage, as this may not be apparent right after the accident. Some symptoms of injury can take days or even weeks to appear.
- Exchange information with other parties in the accident:Give your full name, insurance information, and contact information to anyone who has not fled the scene. Request their contact information as well.
- Report the hit and run accident to your insurer right away:Many insurance companies have deadlines to submit claims. As a rule, the faster you report, the better.
- Consider contacting an attorney: Your insurance company or another party may try to keep you from getting the compensation you deserve. Consider contacting a car accident attorney servicing the Boca Raton area to help you along in this process.
4 Important Ways You Can Collect Evidence at the Scene
- Write what you remember about the other vehicle: Note the other vehicle's model, color, and license plate—even if it's partial. This can help law enforcement locate the vehicle.
- Note the direction the vehicle takes: It can help the police approximate the area the vehicle might have escaped.
- Take pictures of the scene: Focus on the spot on your (vehicle) that the hit and run driver struck (note any paint or debris from the other vehicle) If possible, take a quick picture of the fleeing vehicle and the registration plate.
- Take witness contact information: Those witnessing the accident can be crucial in helping you seek justice and compensation. They can provide the driver's and vehicle's description and other essential details they may recall.
After the initial accident, you shouldn't have to handle the stress of collecting additional evidence or organizing your claim. Consider hiring a Boca Raton hit and run attorney to take it from here.
Can I Sue an At-Fault Driver in a Hit-and-Run if They've Been Arrested?
After a hit and run, the driver can face serious legal consequences, especially if they were driving under the influence. Depending on the circumstances the other driver could face the following:
- Misdemeanor charges
- Felony charges
- Second-degree misdemeanor
- Up to $500 in fine
- 60-day imprisonment
- Third-degree felony charges for accidents involving injuries. This can also result in a 5-year imprisonment and a maximum of $5,000 in fines
- Maximum $10,000 fines or 30 years imprisonment for accidents resulting in death
- Loss of license
- Paying court fees
You can still pursue compensation for hit-and-run accidents with a civil claim even if prosecutors have already charged the at-fault party. A Boca Raton hit-and-run car accident lawyers can help you identify the available legal options in this situation.
Damages You Can Claim in a Boca Raton Hit and Run Accident
Generally, the law allows you to pursue compensation for medical or property damages accumulated from the accident. These include:
- Damages for your relative's wrongful death
- Property damage
- Reduced earning potential
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral expenses
It may be difficult to decern what damages you have a right to compensation for. A hit and run accident attorney serving the Boca Raton area may be able to help you identify what damages you could pursue.
What If the Authorities Never Locate the Responsible Driver?
In normal situations where law enforcement locates the culprit, you can recover your compensation from this party via their insurance company. Even if they are uninsured, you still have options. However, the dire situation will likely leave you in an unexpected financial and legal dilemma if the driver is never caught.
While you may feel like you are out of the options if the driver is never identified, keep in mind that there may be other ways to receive the compensation you deserve. Consider hiring a hit and run accident lawyer to help you navigate this process.
Can You Make Your Insurance Provider Pay in a Hit and Run?
Yes, your insurance provider may pay for damages you incurred from a hit-and-run accident. If you have a no-fault policy, your insurance company will cover any damages the result from an accident. However, even if you have fault-based coverage, you may still have options.
You may also have personal injury protection insurance coverage. This can usually offset costs and provide some relief. Additionally, your policy may include uninsured or underinsured motorist protection, which pays out if the at-fault party does not have insurance or cannot be identified.
Collectively, these should cover the costs of the accident, or at least provide some financial relief. If you are unsure if your insurance policy includes these protections or if your provider is refusing to cover the damages, a hit and run car accident attorney in Boca Raton may be able to help negotiate settlements with the insurance company.
Contact Us Today
A hit and run car accident is already stressful enough. We want to ensure a hit-and-run accident doesn't have to be any worse than it already is. Dolman Law Group may be able to help. We can offer the legal counseling and support that victims need. Reach out to our team today for a free consultation.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
301 Yamato Road, Suite 1240
Boca Raton, Florida 33431