In such a bustling city, you are prone to see various vehicles, and many residents find alternatives to driving themselves to get around faster. One example is yellow taxis, and while taxi drivers can quickly get around, they can still be in an accident, and you can suffer severe injuries.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, is here to assess your losses and fight for fair compensation. Speak to our Chicago taxi accident lawyer today.
- Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyersâ Chicago Taxi Accident Lawyers Can Help You
- Chicago Taxi Accident Statistics
- Causes of Taxi Crashes
- Taxi Accidents Are Different From Rideshares
- You May Suffer Serious Injuries
- Who Is Liable in a Chicago Taxi Accident?
- Taxi Driver and Company Responsibilities
- Evidence That Can Help Your Case
- Recovering Fair Compensation
- There Are Time Limits
- The Insurance Company Is Working Against You
- What You Should Do Following a Collision
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers’ Chicago Taxi Accident Lawyers Can Help You
In a taxi accident, you might wonder what to do next and if you have any legal options. In many cases, you have important legal rights, and the best way to protect them is by speaking to an experienced taxi accident lawyer in Chicago.
We have extensive knowledge about the laws surrounding taxi accidents. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, are litigation bulldogs and put quality over quantity.
We are familiar with the insurance companies and how they will try to minimize your offer based on technicalities and insurance limits.
Our Chicago taxi accident lawyer is motivated to get you results, and we will negotiate a fair settlement for your losses and not let the insurance company take advantage of your vulnerabilities. We have recovered over $400 million for our personal injury clients.
Chicago Taxi Accident Statistics
Car accidents can happen with any driver, but they are rising nationwide, and with high numbers of car accidents come more taxi-related collisions. The National Transportation Safety Board reported approximately 1,100 fatalities linked to taxi-related incidents over the past decade, with many resulting in injuries or fatalities.
Chicago has many restaurants and places to enjoy a night out, and if you leave Navy Pier or drive down Lake Shore Drive, you will likely encounter taxi cabs. These busy intersections and areas throughout the city can lead to accidents.
Some of the most dangerous intersections for taxi accidents include:
- East 79th and South Stony Island
- West Ontario and North Orleans
- East 95th and South Stony Island
- West Hubbard and North Halstead
- West Garfield and South Wentworth
- West 47th and South Western
- West Garfield and South Wells
- East Wacker and North Columbus
- East Wacker and North Michigan
While these are some of the most dangerous intersections, a taxi crash can happen nearly anywhere, and a taxi accident lawyer in Chicago can handle accidents at these and other locations.
Contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, to discuss the details of your accident.
Causes of Taxi Crashes
Anyone can experience a car accident; despite special training, taxi drivers are not exempt from being involved in one. Often, the cause of these accidents is negligent taxi drivers. Even though they are responsible for ensuring your safety when you are in their vehicle, you may not make it to your destination without incident.
Common causes of taxi accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Taxi drivers may face distractions from passengers, phone calls, texts, or more.
- Speeding: Drivers are more likely to lose control of their car when speeding and may not have time to stop for a hazard or another vehicle.
- Drunk driving: Drunk taxi drivers get behind the wheel after a few drinks and put everyone in danger, leading to severe injuries.
- Failure to yield: This might happen when the taxi driver turns left without yielding to oncoming traffic or pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- Negligent hiring: This falls on the taxi company responsible for the hiring process. They must screen drivers and ensure they have the qualifications to operate a cab. If the driver does not have the qualifications, the company can be held liable for the driver's actions.
- Violating traffic regulations: This is a common cause because taxi drivers might speed or violate traffic laws to reach their next destination faster.
These are the prime examples of how Chicago taxi accidents happen. However, they can happen in many other ways for reasons not listed here. You must discuss your case with a Chicago taxi accident attorney.
Taxi Accidents Are Different From Rideshares
Many people often confuse taxis and rideshare vehicles as the same category. While they work under the same premise of transporting passengers to their destination, they abide by different laws.
Taxis are more prestigious since they require additional documents, training, and responsibilities, which makes a taxi accident claim more straightforward than rideshare cases. In either circumstance, you should work with a Chicago taxi accident attorney.
You May Suffer Serious Injuries
Similar to other car accidents, you may suffer severe injuries, and the harm you experience will depend on the severity of the crash and other factors.
Some examples of taxi injuries you can suffer are:
- Traumatic brain injuries: These injuries happen to the skull and can lead to permanent impairment, and victims can suffer cognitive impairments and other struggles. These injuries can also lead to death.
- Spinal cord injuries: These injuries will affect your mobility and can result in paralysis. The higher the spine the injury is, the more limbs it will affect, and victims may experience quadriplegia or tetraplegia. Lower spinal injuries can lead to paraplegia.
- Broken bones: Fractures can impact people in different ways. While they may seem like common or minor injuries, they can require rehabilitation, hospitalization, and surgery.
While these are some of the worst injuries that you may suffer, there are many others, including:
- Internal injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Cuts and lacerations
Passengers are not the only ones at risk since pedestrians and bicyclists can also be victims. Medical treatment is necessary for any injury you suffer. You seek relief, and we aim to demonstrate to the insurance company that your injuries resulted from the taxi accident. Let our Chicago taxi accident lawyer handle this process for you.
Who Is Liable in a Chicago Taxi Accident?
One of the first steps Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, will take is establishing liability. We will investigate the accident and determine who is responsible for paying your losses. These claims are complex because multiple people can be liable for the collision.
Potentially liable parties include:
- Taxi drivers are responsible if they are driving negligently by drinking, recklessness, etc. They should pay attention to the road and ensure their passengers are safe.
- Taxi cab manufacturers may be liable if there is a defect in the vehicle or one of the parts they provide.
- Taxi companies are responsible for hiring, training, and monitoring taxi drivers. Companies can be liable if the driver is not qualified to operate a taxi or if the vehicle has defective equipment.
- The City of Chicago or another municipality may be liable if there is a dangerous condition or a defective traffic signal. These cases are complex, but it is possible to hold a government agency responsible for a taxi accident.
In some instances, another motorist can be responsible for your taxi accident. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, will assess liability and aid in your compensation recovery.
Taxi Driver and Company Responsibilities
State and city regulations address the responsibilities of taxi drivers and cab companies. Chicago imposes different taxicab laws than the state.
Some taxi responsibilities include:
- Notifying taxi companies of any traffic violations or accidents
- Driving safely and following traffic laws
- Following the route of the passenger species, barring skilled circumstances
- Informing the taxi company of any mechanical problems
- Notifying the taxi company of changes in the destination
- Taxis operating within the City of Chicago should have $350,000 insurance policies to cover injuries
- City of Chicago taxis must have a GPS that tracks their movements on duty
- Taxi drivers are considered common carriers and, therefore, have a higher standard of care than other drivers
Taxi drivers have many other responsibilities not listed here. These are just a few examples, and if a driver does not follow these regulations, they can suffer consequences and cause traffic crashes.
A taxi accident attorney in Chicago can help assess whether the taxi driver was negligent in following their responsibilities. We will review how this impacts your recovery case.
Evidence That Can Help Your Case
Instead of focusing on your legal case, we want you to focus on healing, and the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA team will gather evidence to build your compensation claim.
Some types of evidence we will uncover include:
- Yellow cab medallion number
- Photos or videos of the collision from those involved, nearby establishments, traffic cameras, etc
- Police report detailing the accident
- Eyewitness information and statements
- Medical records for any injuries you sustain
Recovering Fair Compensation
After a taxi accident, you can recover compensation for your losses from the driver, taxi company, or vehicle manufacturer.
The recovery process is contentious, but you can qualify for compensation for:
- Lost income: if you cannot work due to your injuries, you can recover lost income and benefits. We will calculate your losses until you can return to work and will calculate future lost income and reduced earning capacity if you cannot return.
- Medical bills: any medical treatment you receive, such as ambulance transports, physical therapy, hospital stays, prescription medications, etc.
- Pain and suffering damages cover losses like physical pain, loss of enjoyment of life, and emotional distress.
- Wrongful death cases are harrowing for families, and no amount of money can change the circumstances. These claims compensate families and cover any losses incurred from the death.
There Are Time Limits
You can become overwhelmed with everything happening after a collision. While this is understandable, you must move quickly to take legal action.
If you file after the pre-designated time, you can lose your right to claim damages, and the limit for filing a taxi accident claim in Chicago is two years from the accident date. Exceptions depend on the entities involved. You can leave compensation on the table if you wait too long to speak to our Chicago taxi accident lawyer.
The Insurance Company Is Working Against You
The City of Chicago requires additional insurance limits for taxi drivers. This classification applies because taxi drivers fall under common carrier liability. These limits are higher than those of other private drivers and should cover most or all of the expenses that result from a taxi crash.
Sometimes, injuries and losses far exceed these limits, complicating recovery, and negotiating and dealing with the insurance company can be contentious.
Often, these insurance companies will try to talk to injury victims before they can speak to a Chicago taxi accident attorney so they can put in a meager settlement offer. They will also trick you into giving a recorded statement that can hurt your case.
They may try to convince you to settle before you reach maximum medical improvement or get a complete analysis of your injuries. These tactics often result in victims getting lower settlement than expected and losing their ability to take additional steps later.
You should assume any of the insurance companies you interact with are not on your side and are not rushing in to save the day. Instead, they run in so they don't have to pay for your losses.
You need an aggressive and understanding law firm like Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, to secure the compensation you deserve. We will handle all insurance company communications. Our Chicago taxi accident attorney will fight aggressively for your rights and bring you the compensation you deserve for your losses.
What You Should Do Following a Collision
After you get medical treatment, there are some additional steps you should take to protect your injury claim. Following your treatment plan is the most critical step you can take.
Some other actions you can take to help strengthen your case include:
- Gather documentation like medical records, receipts, insurance communication, and crash reports.
- Take notes about the accident to provide your Chicago taxi accident lawyer with your version of events.
- Refer the insurance company to Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, so you don't say the wrong thing.
- Stay off social media, and do not discuss the accident with anyone outside your team.