Florida workers’ compensation laws provide money and medical benefits to an employee who has an injury as a result of an accident, injury or occupational disease on-the-job. Workers’ compensation is designed to protect workers and their dependents against the hardships from injury or death arising out of the work environment.
New Port Richey Disability Benefits
The primary role of disability benefits is to compensate an individual for wages lost while the injury or illness made it impossible to work. Disabilities fall into one of four New Port Richey categories depending on whether they are total or partial, temporary or permanent.
- Temporary total disability: Prevents an individual from working for a limited amount of time. The vast majority of workers’ compensation disabilities fall into this category.
- Temporary partial disability: A disability that prevents an individual from doing some of the duties of the job for a limited amount of time.
- Permanent total disability: Disability that prevents a former employee from ever returning to work.
- Permanent partial disability: Occurs when the damage is permanent, but only partially impairs the ability to work.
If an employee’s injury or illness places them in any one of these categories, they are entitled to some form of disability benefit. The exact benefit that the employee will receive is based on the amount of money that they were earning prior to the injury.
New Port Richey Death Benefits
The Florida workers’ compensation program provides a death benefit to people who were related to the deceased worker, such as a spouse, child or parent, and were financially dependent on that person. The main purpose of the benefit is to compensate dependent family members for the loss of financial support.
Dangerous New Port Richey Occupations Leading to Injury
While almost any occupation can present the potential for a worker to suffer a serious personal injury, some industries are more dangerous than others. An example of this would be an office worker may be less likely to suffer a life-altering workplace injury when compared to that of a steel worker or industrial contractor. Some of the most dangerous occupations include:
- Maritime Workers (Dock & Offshore)
Contact a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in New Port Richey
Because of the complexity of the laws applicable to workmen’s compensation, if you, or someone that you know, sustain an injury while working, it is important to speak with a New Port Richey workers’ compensation attorney to discuss your rights and legal remedies. Please call our New Port Richey office today at 727-853-6275 for a free consultation.