If you were involved in an accident or otherwise sustained burn injuries, it is important to contact a New Port Richey burn injury attorney at Dolman Law as soon as possible to learn about your legal options.
According to the American Burn Association, in 2015, there were 486,000 burn injuries in the United States. 40,000 of those burn injuries required hospitalization.
New Port Richey Burn injuries
Burn injuries can be caused by a variety of factors. Some of the prominent burn injuries are caused out of steam burns, contact burns, scalds and electrical burns which include lightening strikes, chemical and flash burns. Common causes of New Port Richey burn injuries include:
- Scalding from steam or hot liquids
- Touching hot objects
- Electrical burns
- Chemical burns
- Car accidents
- Playing with matches
- Unsafe use of firecrackers
- Kitchen accidents
Categories of New Port Richey Burn Injuries
There are four categories of burn injuries:
- First-degree burns usually affect the outer layer of the skin, called the epidermis. A first-degree burn tends to be moist and red in color. A burn of this nature is generally resolved within a week.
- Superficial second-degree burn penetrates the entire epidermal layer of skin and extends down to the next skin layer, known as the dermis. A second-degree burn may appear moist and pinkish in color. A superficial second-degree burn may heal spontaneously, often within two weeks.
- Full thickness second-degree burns differ from the superficial second-degree burns because the tissue destruction runs deeper into the dermis. A burn of this nature will be dry and whitish in color. It will not produce red blanches with application of pressure. This type of burn may take three to four weeks to heal.
- Third-degree burns are the most severe classification. This occurs when the burn destroyed both the epidermal and dermal layers of skin and extended down to the subcutaneous tissue. These burns may be physically depressed, charred, and often leather-like in appearance. These burns are very serious and often require skin grafting or other reconstructive procedures.
New Port Richey Burn Injury Attorneys
When a burn injury happens as the result of faulty equipment, an unsafe work environment, or even children left unattended with dangerous products, legal action may be needed to recover damages for victims and their families. On the outset, they may not seem like a big deal, but burns of any degree are serious injuries. A burn scar lasts forever and not only disfigures one's appearance, but can sometimes create a permanent feeling of increased pain and sensitivity. The residual damage can cause a significant amount of emotional distress. Although money will not cause a burn or scar to disappear, the law has created a system to compensate you for the damages these injuries have caused.
If you were involved in an accident or otherwise sustained burn injuries, it is important to speak to a New Port Richey burn injury attorney as soon as possible. Please call our New Port Richey office today at 727-853-6275 for a free consultation.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA - New Port Richey Office
5924 Main St
New Port Richey, FL 34652
 Burn Incidence Fact Sheet