If you want to know whether you and your child have a birth injury claim, it is important to speak to a skilled birth injury attorney in New Port Richey. Contact our New Port Richey Birth Injury Lawyers at our New Port Richey office today.
A birth injury is a traumatic loss or permanent impairment of a baby during or after the birthing process. Although improved medical technology is said to reduce birth injuries, statistics reveal an alarmingly high number of birth injuries where an estimated 7 out of every 1,000 children born in the United States are born with a birth injury. This results in 28,000 birth injuries per year or 76 birth injuries each day.
Causes of New Port Richey Birth Injuries
Pregnancy, labor and the birth of a child can be rewarding, fulfilling and inspiring. Even in the best of circumstances, the birth of a child includes strange medical terms and the potential for harm. Although no doctor intends to cause harm to a baby, inexperience, inattention and other factors can cause a doctor or other medical professional to make a mistake. When obstetricians make mistakes, infants can suffer a lifetime of medical problems including cerebral palsy, seizure disorders and developmental delays. These mistakes can have catastrophic effects on the newborn infants as well as their families.
Common causes of birth injuries include:
- Obstetrical malpractice: When obstetricians fail to recognize warning signs of birth injuries or fail to follow up when warning signs are present, it can lead to devastating birth injuries.
- Hypoxia: Lack of oxygen to the brain is one of the leading causes of birth injuries, leading to cerebral palsy, brain damage and even death.
- Shoulder dystocia: When the infant’s shoulder becomes wedged against the mother’s pubic bone it can cause damage to a network of nerves resulting in Erb’s palsy and other birth defects.
- Medication errors: Errors in anesthesia and other types of medication can cause severe, life-threatening birth injuries.
- Postpartum negligence: The failure to adequately monitor the mother and the child after birth can cause injuries, including dangerous infections.
New Port Richey Birth Injury Lawyers
It can be difficult to raise a child with even minor birth injuries. Children who had their physical or mental possibilities taken away from them at birth deserve every opportunity to grow to their full potential but often need special therapies, adaptive technologies or even expensive surgeries. If you want to know whether you and your child have a birth injury claim, it is important to speak to a skilled birth injury attorney in New Port Richey. Please call our New Port Richey office today at 727-853-6275.