Boca Raton has entertainment and attractions that draw many people into the area year-round. Add that to the area’s high population, and you have the perfect storm for lots of traffic accidents.
Boca has 47 parks encompassing 1,650 acres of recreational space, entertainment venues, and 5 miles of Atlantic Ocean beaches. That’s a lot of fun for a lot of people. But it also means many people on the roads, which increases the risk of traffic accidents. If you suffered injuries or lost a loved one in a car accident, contact a Boca Raton car accident lawyer today for a free case evaluation.
Boca Raton Accidents
Boca Raton has seen an average of 26,000 accidents over the past several years.
- About 185 were fatalities.
- Nearly 265 crashes involved alcohol.
- About 14 fatal crashes involved alcohol.
- Nearly 450 crashes involved motorcycles.
- Nearly 550 crashes involved pedestrians.
- Nearly 3,000 crashes involved commercial motor vehicles.
The number of wrecks varies from year to year. There are more crashes, fatalities, and injuries than in other years. While the number of wrecks is small compared to the population, a person never knows when someone wrecks and involves them or a loved one.
Car and Truck Accident Injuries
Accident injuries can vary wildly depending on:
- Road conditions, including ice, water, debris, or sand, whether the road is pavement, concrete, gravel, or another substance.
- The size of the vehicles involved
- The number of vehicles involved.
- Whether an accident victim is a pedestrian, bicyclist, motorcyclist, or in a vehicle
- Whether a large truck or larger commercial vehicle is involved, such as a bus, big rig, ambulance, one-ton truck, or another heavy vehicle
- Weather conditions, including sunny days.
- The speed of the vehicles involved
- The position of the vehicles at the time of the wreck: for example, head-on crashes, rear-end accidents, or sideswipe wrecks.
Slippery road conditions and speed usually contribute to more severe injuries because of the speed involved when the vehicles crash into each other.
Injuries from a vehicle wreck could include:
- Soft tissue injuries such as strains, sprains, pulled and torn muscles, and strained ligaments.
- Cuts, scrapes, bruises, scratches.
- Face and eye injuries.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
- Head, neck, and shoulder injuries.
- Back and spinal cord injuries.
- Amputation of a digit or limb.
- Chemical, thermal, and friction burns.
- Internal injuries.
- Simple and compound fractures.
- Crush bones and other crush injuries.
Medical expenses, especially those that need them for life, could wreak financial havoc on you and your family. And if a loved one dies in a car accident, the emotional and financial toll combined can take a lot out of a person. A Boca Raton accident attorney can help you recover the compensation you deserve, so you can recover without worrying about paying the bills and putting food on the table.
Boca Raton Auto Accident Statistics
For a free legal consultation, call 833-552-7274
After an accident, you could recover compensation by settling with the at-fault driver’s insurance company or litigating. Insurance companies are in business to make money—they don’t care about you—you are just someone who will lower their profit margins.
A Boca Raton car accident lawyer can help you recover the compensation you deserve, not the lowball amount the insurance company wants to pay you, hoping you will disappear.
Depending on the extent of your injuries, you could recover two compensatory damages: Economic and non-economic damages.
Sometimes referred to as special damages, economic damages have a monetary value. Most accident victims recover some form of economic damages, including:
Depending on the severity of the accident and injuries, medical expenses might include:
- Hospital expenses.
- Doctor’s appointments.
- Surgeries and follow-up appointments.
- Psychological therapy.
- Cognitive therapy.
- Occupational therapy.
- Physical therapy.
- Prescriptions and prescribed over-the-counter medications.
- Vehicle upgrades, such as hand controls and wheelchair lifts.
- Updates to the home, including but not limited to handrails, ramps, grab bars, and widened doorways.
- Home health aides.
- Nursing home and convalescent home stays.
An accident could prevent you from working for a few weeks, months, or years. Accident victims could recover compensation for lost wages and loss of future earning capacity. If the accident caused the death of a loved one, a spouse or a parent could also collect compensation for loss of future earning capacity.
An accident victim can also recover compensation for damaged personal property, including the vehicle wrecked and items of value inside the vehicle or on their person, such as cell phones and computers.
If you lost a loved one because of an accident in Boca Raton, you could recover death-related expenses, including burial and funeral expenses, cremation expenses, and certain probate court or attorney expenses.
Sometimes referred to as general damages, non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress.
- Loss of quality of life.
- Loss of companionship.
- Loss of consortium.
- Loss of use of a body part.
- Loss of use of a bodily function.
- Amputation of a digit or limb.
- Excessive scarring and disfigurement.
In most cases, accident victims can recover non-economic damages if they suffer injuries that doctors expect to become long-term or permanent disabilities. Those who lost a loved one might also recover non-economic damages.
Some states allow accident victims to recover punitive damages. It is difficult to obtain this type of compensation as the court only orders a defendant to pay punitive damages for gross negligence or intentional behavior. Florida allows punitive damages, although the process takes longer because the trial requires two parts.
A court does not order punitive damages as compensation but to punish the defendant’s behavior. Despite the added process involving punitive damages, it is sometimes worth the time.
If you suffered injuries or lost a loved one in a vehicle accident, contact a Boca Raton vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible for a free case evaluation.