Defective prescriptions are described as prescription medications whose benefits are outweighed by its side effects. This can mean a number of negative consequences for the user of these drugs, including permanent injury, death, and a severe decrease in an individual’s quality of life.
Your Doctor Has Your Best Interests, Right?
Yes. Any doctor worth his MD has his patient’s health and welfare in mind. When he or she prescribes a medication, you trust them implicitly. Furthermore, your blind trust of your doctor will even lead to decisions to take medications without ever researching their side effects.
The sad part of this circumstance is that there are medications out there, released by pharmaceutical giants who prefer profit over people, that cause unwanted, injurious side effects. What makes this worse is the fact that the driver behind the release of these debilitating medications is the drive for rapid release to the public in order to make profits. When this happens, the victims are always the patients.
To be clear, this is almost never the fault of the doctor. The typical physician has done his share of the research. However, the pharma corporations often hold back critical information from their own research studies from the public.
What about FDA Approval?
The Food and Drug Administration was put in place to protect consumers. By law, drug manufacturers must receive approval from the government before a medication can be released. Unfortunately, even the FDA is often unaware of the long term side effects of medications that were released in the short term.
The fact is, no one really understands the serious medical risks of these medications until years or decades after they have been used long term. Only when these side effects have already caused serious injury to unwitting users do the side effects present themselves, materializing in the patients themselves.
Harmful medications are responsible for several serious, debilitating injuries. These can take shape as a stroke, embolism, heart attack, bone degeneration, emotional problems, and serious degradation of a person’s quality of life. Under many circumstances, defective medicines can lead to sterility, brain damage, and dangerous imbalances of hormones.
Harmful Medications Currently Under Evaluation by the Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
The Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA is currently evaluating several defective medication claims, to include:
- Actos – This diabetes medication has been linked to bladder cancer in long term users. The FDA issued a warning about Actos in 2011 concerning this risk.
- Fosamax – This drug is part of a group of osteoporosis treatment medications called bisphosphonates. These medicines are known to cause a condition known as osteonecrosis of the jaw. This is also referred to as “bone death” and is debilitating. The FDA issued a warning about Fosamax, but has not yet released a demand for a recall.
- Humira – Plaque psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, and Chrone’s disease are often treated with this injectable, FDA approved drug. It belongs to a class of drugs known as tumor necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors which, as the name suggests, inhibits a protein responsible for killing tumor cells in the human body.
- Mirena – Mirena is an insertable contraceptive for women. More than 45,000 incidents, such as perforation of the uterus and vaginal bleeding, have been reported to the FDA since 2000.
- Nuvaring – Another contraceptive linked to side effects such as stroke, blood clots, and a number of other life-threatening conditions, is Nuvaring. There has been contention as to whether or not the makers of Nuvaring knowingly failed to report the dangers associated with its use.
- Pradaxa – Dangerous side effects of Pradaxa, such as gastrointestinal bleeding, intracranial hemorrhaging, or bleeding of the brain, and an increased risk of severe viral sickness, have been reported. Similar side effects have been linked to Warfarin, a predecessor of the drug.
- Risperdal – Ortho-McNeil-Janssen, the manufacturer of this harmful drug, marketed the drug for use by children, despite no FDA approval to do so. The medication was used as an antipsychotic to treat irritability in Autistic children, bipolar disorder, and even schizophrenia. After several years of use, it was determined that the drug was known to cause several dangerous side effects, including breast growth in men.
- Talcum Powder – It would seem unlikely that a common household product used for a number of hygienic purposes by men and women would be dangerous. However, the powder is actually linked to ovarian cancer in women, something the manufacturers know as they market it towards women and mothers.
- Zithromax – In March of 2012, the FDA issued a warning against Zithromax, stating that the medication poses serious danger to patients, including risk of heart attacks as a result of changes in cardiac electrical activity.
- Transvaginal Mesh – The transvaginal mesh was used to reduce the threat of pelvic organ prolapse. It was surgically implanted in a number of women, but was soon reported by the FDA to be causing life-altering complications.
Additional Lawsuits the Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA has experience with include:
Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA is a Clearwater based serious injury and civil trial law firm. Our injury law attorneys have represented a long list of individuals who have suffered critical and/or fatal injuries. It is our steadfast goal to prosecute those responsible for releasing these hazardous medications while knowing their dangers.
If you or a loved one have suffered serious injury or death as a result of harmful prescription medications, call the “Hazardous Drug Lawyers” at Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for a free consultation at (833) 606-DRUG .