If you've been involved in an accident, finding out how you can get a car accident report can go a long way towards winning your settlement. In order to get your accident report in St. Petersburg, you need to contact the police officer who responded and investigated the accident. They will have filed the report at their station, where a copy of the report should be available to you.
Materials You Need to Get Your Report
A car accident report contains first-hand information on the crash, including the cause, location, and details of the involved parties. Before you contact the authorities for a car accident report, you must ensure you have the correct information on the file. This information includes:
- The time and date of the accident
- The case number
- The location of the accident
- The names of the involved parties
Even though you may not have all this information at hand, it is important to have at least some important details regarding the accident. Having specific details will help the police locate the right accident report faster.
What Are the Specific Steps to Get a Car Accident Report?
Car accidents are a traumatic and shocking experience for everyone involved. In case you are a victim, it is essential to have the proper information to obtain a car accident report. It is also vital to file a personal injury claim to seek compensation for your damages or injuries.
- The first step to obtaining a car accident report is to contact the first responders on the scene.
- Per the City of St. Petersburg Police Department, most car accident reports are available to those involved after 10 days. You will need to make an application stating that you were involved in the accident when requesting access.
- Applications can be made in person or online through the Florida Department of Transportation Crash Reports.
- If the police did not report the accident and there is no file on your case, you only have 10 days after the accident to report it.
- It is common for victims of minor accidents to fail to contact the police or even report the accident, but you should always notify the police of an accident, even if it is minor.
- Failing to report the accident leaves you without legal options to pursue compensation for any lost property or injuries that may appear later.
Why Do I Need to Get a Car Accident Report?
There are several benefits to obtaining a car accident report after an accident. These include:
Fulfilling the Law
Florida Statutes § 316.065 requires that you report an accident that results in the injury or wrongful death of the passenger, pedestrian driver, or other motorists. Additionally, you must report any accidents that destroy property worth at least $500. Obtaining a police report helps you ensure that the report exists. You may also ascertain the accuracy of the details captured in the car accident report after you obtain it.
A car accident report has crucial information, including photographs of the scene, witness reports, car inspection details, and the police's opinions. You can't prove that you were not responsible for the accident without this information. You could easily be made liable for any of the victims' injuries.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim
You cannot file a personal injury claim without proof linking your injuries to the accident. A car accident report helps verify that the accident is the reason for your injuries. A car accident report gives solid proof that the liable party is responsible for the accident and protects your right to receive compensation.
Part of Evidence
Even though personal injury claims rarely end up in lawsuits, preparing your evidence is important. The case may go to court if the insurance company disputes liability or objects to the proposed amount. In this situation, a car accident report will be first among the documents that prove the other party is liable for the accident.
Overall, a car accident report verifies your side of the story as factual instead of hearsay, which is critical in receiving compensation after an accident.
Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me Get a Car Accident Report?
There is no reason to worry if you contact a personal injury lawyer before getting the car accident report. Your car accident lawyer can help obtain the report in person or online. It is always important that you have the document before your first meeting with your lawyer to discuss compensation through a personal injury claim.
If you don't have the car accident report, notify your lawyer immediately to obtain the report as soon as possible. Your lawyer needs to assess the document before deciding on the best legal options for your case.
Call an Attorney Serving St. Petersburg Today
If you need help obtaining a car accident report and filing a personal injury claim in St. Petersburg, contact Dolman Law Group to consult with a personal injury lawyer.