Many people who suffer from hurricanes have to deal with significant property damage.
These effects are tough to deal with, especially when your insurance company is resistant to paying out your claim sufficiently and on time.
Getting fair compensation could be difficult, especially if you’re filing a homeowners insurance claim on your own. Our Savannah hurricane damage lawyer with Dolman Law Group will represent and help you get the compensation you deserve.
Types of Damages to Claim After a Hurricane
If your property sustained damage, you may be able to recover the costs of:
- Fire and flood damage
- Broken windows, shingles, roof, and siding
- Toppled or uprooted trees
- Loss of power and water
- Roadway blockage or power line damage
- Vehicle damage
- Damage to porches, barns, and detached garages
Property damage due to hurricanes varies depending on the location, environmental factors, and strength of the property’s construction. The destruction may be severe and challenging to restore. Still, the number one priority after experiencing a hurricane is ensuring your safety and that of others. Then, you can move on to preventing additional damage and protecting the structural integrity of your home.
Take These Steps to Assess and Handle Property Damage After a Hurricane
After a hurricane:
- Prevent further damage: Cover all the damaged property with a tarp to prevent further damage. If you don’t, the insurance company may use it as an excuse to reduce or deny your compensation.
- Document your property damages: After a hurricane, you can take photos of damage across your properties and take down any details you notice. The photos are evidence that you can present to the insurance company to prove the extent of your loss. This proof makes it difficult for them to deny the fair value of your losses.
- File your claim: It’s easy to feel overwhelmed with the aftermath of a hurricane and other resulting financial responsibilities. However, plan to file the claim with the insurance company immediately. Any delay may result in the insurance company attempting to drag out the case.
- Get a second opinion: Get an expert who will take a look at your damages after the insurance company does. That way, you know the insurance agent’s estimates are accurate.
- Seek legal assistance: Consult our attorney serving Savannah. We’ll guide you through the negotiation process and make sure your voice is heard.
Savannah Hurricane Damage Lawyer Near Me 833-552-7274
Three Things to Remember About Hurricane Insurance
Keep these things in mind when you are selecting coverage for hurricane damages:
- Do you need flood insurance? You should be aware that your homeowners insurance may not include flood insurance, per the Office of Commissioner of Insurance and Safety Fire (OCI). If you live close to a lake or on land at risk of storm surges, you may require separate flood insurance coverage.
- What’s your deductible for hurricane damage? Some insurers offer property insurance policies that have high deductibles for damages due to hurricanes or other natural disasters. As a property owner, you may have to pay for additional policies or higher deductibles for hurricane damages.
- How does your hurricane insurance policy differ? Various insurance companies have different coverage plans depending on the types of typical damage in your area and the amount of coverage you purchase. Will your policy hold up against a storm?
For a free legal consultation with a hurricane damage lawyer serving Savannah, call 833-552-7274
How Insurance Companies Evade Paying Policyholders
Insurance companies attempt to avoid paying policyholders full compensation for hurricane damages, as it dips into their cash reserves. Adjusters may try to use questionable strategies to their advantage. Here are some common tactics that insurance agents use to avoid a full payout.
- Trying to convince you not to get an attorney who will help you resolve the claim dispute
- Denying claims without clear explanations
- Challenging the seriousness of your damages
- Denying that certain insurance coverage exists in your policy
- Demanding a written release of any additional claims as a condition of settlement or payout of your claim
- Devaluing the economic impact of your damages and low-balling offers they present you
The insurance policies use technical and complex language that you can easily misinterpret. Alternatively, insurance companies can modify the meaning for their benefit. Don’t risk navigating this process alone, have one of our attorneys take on your case.
The Benefits of Hiring a Hurricane Claims Lawyer with Dolman Law Group
The hurricane insurance disputes will be difficult and time-consuming for you to handle on your own. Our lawyers will handle insurance disputes and hold the insurance company accountable for paying for your damages.
At Dolman Law Group, we can:
- Provide an overview of the legal options
- Assess the extent of the hurricane damages
- Fight for fair compensation that fully covers your losses
- Investigate the insurance claims process
- Determine whether the insurer is using any tactics to reduce or deny you compensation
- Communicate with the insurer on your behalf
- Estimate the worth of your insurance claims
- Working with you to ensure you are confident in the legal process and the possibility of your case’s success
Because the hurricane damage attorneys at Dolman Law Group work on a contingency-fee basis, you won’t have to pay us any fees unless and until we recover compensation for you.
Contact Our Law Office For Help With Your Savannah Hurricane Damage Claim
If you’re having issues with the insurance company after sustaining hurricane-related property damages, contact Dolman Law Group today. We respond quickly and will hold the insurance company accountable for your full compensation. We offer free consultations, and our lawyers are always ready to serve you.