Baby Formula Products That Are Cause for ConcernCertain Enfamil baby formulas produced by Mead Johnson & Company have been linked to a potentially fatal disease in premature infants. The following cow's milk-based formulas may cause necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC):
- Enfamil 24 and DHA & ARA Supplement
- Enfamil HMF High Protein
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier
- Enfamil NeuroPro Enfacare
- Enfamil Premature 20 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal/fl oz HP
- Enfamil Premature 30 Cal
- Enfamil Premium
Why Parents Are Concerned About EnfamilEnfamil formula has come under fire after an increased risk of a deadly disease was linked to many of their products. Necrotizing enterocolitis, or NEC, can be a devastating disorder and a potentially fatal one.
What Is NEC?NEC is a gastrointestinal disorder that poses dangers to infants, especially premature babies as they generally have weaker immune systems. While the condition generally occurs in premature babies, it can be a risk for early-term babies. The condition kills intestinal tissue, which can lead to a number of complications. Though the survival rates for infants with NEC are higher than in the 20th century (per the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center), babies who survive a bout with NEC can suffer long-term effects, such as:
- The illness can result in short bowel syndrome if NEC damages part of the intestine or if the infant requires surgery to remove part of the intestine. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Kidney Diseases, short bowel syndrome can lead to malnutrition. While it is typically treatable, malnutrition can cause life-long problems with digestion, weight gain, and risk for other infections.
- Intestinal tissues can be damaged or even die. When this occurs, bacteria can migrate into the bloodstream or abdomen. The bacteria can lead to inflammation and sepsis, a potentially fatal infection.
- NEC can also cause intestinal strictures, according to Cleveland Clinic. An intestinal stricture narrows the intestines which can make it difficult or impossible for food to pass through. A baby may need surgery to open the intestine.
- Children who were diagnosed with NEC may also suffer developmental delays, per Cleveland Clinic.
Signs of NECIf you have been using Enfamil and notice your child exhibiting symptoms of NEC, get help immediately by calling your child's medical provider. Signs to look for include:
- Refusal to eat
- Changes in behavior, such as increased irritability
- Changes in bowel movements, specifically the appearance of bloody diarrhea
- Yellow or green vomit
- Bloating or swelling of the abdomen
- Changes in body temperature
Our Team Can Help You Hold the Manufacturer LiableNEC diagnosis appears to be related to cow's milk in Enfamil products. Plaintiffs claim that the manufacturer of Enfamil, Mead Johnson, knew (or should have known) and failed to warn consumers. In fact, a Lancet article from 1990 concluded that NEC was six to 10 times more likely in babies who are exclusively formula-fed. Our team can build a case against Mead Johnson and establish that the company's failure to warn consumers lead to your child developing NEC. Dolman Law Group's team knows how to help navigate this complex situation, including the nightmare of a wrongful death case or a child injury case. Neither you nor your child should suffer due to someone else's failure to ensure product safety.
How Dolman Law Group Can Help Your FamilyUnderstanding state and federal laws may complicate matters, leaving you feeling stressed, exhausted, and confused. This is where we come in:
- Our lawyers will walk you through every step and fight to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- We will evaluate your case beforehand, explore all the possible avenues, and lay out possible courses of action.
- We're prepared to file a lawsuit against Mead Johnson, the manufacturers of Enfamil, for failure to ensure the safety of its products for newborns.
We Have Payment Options You Can AffordYou may worry that you cannot hire a lawyer while paying for your child's medical expenses. However, there is no need to worry: Dolman Law Group works on a contingency-fee basis, meaning that we will not charge you if we do not win your case. You also pay us nothing up front.
Recoverable Compensation in Your Enfamil LawsuitThe compensation you can recover depends on the specifics of your case. However, potential damages include:
- Medical bills, such as x-rays, blood tests, and fecal tests to diagnose NEC; surgical costs to treat infection or to open the intestine; infection treatment; and ongoing care
- Lost earnings if you or your child's other parent needed to take time off work to care for your child
- Pain and suffering