In February 2023, two batches of Enfamil ProSobee Simply Plant-Based Powder Infant Formula were recalled due to cross-contamination and bacteria concerns. However, as of March 2023, there has been no Enfamil formula recalls based on the possible link to necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in premature infants. Even without an official Enfamil formula recall, many parents are concerned about the potential harm several Enfamil products may cause.
Enfamil Baby Formula Products That Are Creating Concerns
Certain Enfamil baby formulas produced by Mead Johnson & Company have been linked to a potentially fatal disease in premature infants. The following cow's milk-based formulas may cause necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC):
- Enfamil 24 and DHA & ARA Supplement
- Enfamil HMF High Protein
- Enfamil Human Milk Fortifier
- Enfamil NeuroPro Enfacare
- Enfamil Premature 20 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal
- Enfamil Premature 24 Cal/fl oz HP
- Enfamil Premature 30 Cal
- Enfamil Premium
However, none of these products is subject to an Enfamil formula recall by the Food and Drug Administration or voluntarily by Mead Johnson. These products remain on supermarket shelves without any warnings about NEC, and unsuspecting parents give their babies these formulas thinking they are safe.
Even Without an Enfamil Formula Recall, Our Team Can Help You Hold the Manufacturer Liable
NEC in premature infants appears to be related to the use of cow's milk in Enfamil products. As a result of several studies confirming this connection, nationwide lawsuits arose in 2022 to hold the manufacturers of Enfamil and Similac (another potentially harmful baby formula) responsible for the damage their products have caused. Currently, Enfamil manufacturer, Mead Johnson & Company, LLC, faces numerous lawsuits from consumers who allege the formula can cause necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC).
In the lawsuits, plaintiffs claim that Mead Johnson knew (or should have known) that cow's milk-based baby formula posed a risk for premature infants but it failed to warn consumers or medical professionals about the risk. Part of the basis for the plaintiffs' claim is a Lancet article from 1990 that concluded that NEC was six to ten times more likely in babies who are exclusively formula-fed. Some of these lawsuits also claim that the manufacturers are withholding information about how the product could harm or kill infants.
Our team of dedicated personal injury lawyers can help build a case against Mead Johnson to establish that the company's failure to warn about the dangers of Enfamil led to your child receiving this formula and developing NEC.
The mass tort lawyers at Dolman Law Group know how to navigate this complex situation, including resolving the nightmare of a wrongful death case or a child injury case. Neither you nor your child should suffer due to someone else's failure to ensure their product's safety.
Why Parents Should Be Concerned About the Link Between Enfamil and NEC
Enfamil formula has come under fire after an increased risk of a deadly disease was linked to many of their products. Necrotizing enterocolitis, or NEC, can be a devastating and potentially fatal disorder for premature infants.
What Is NEC?
NEC is a gastrointestinal disorder that poses dangers to infants, especially premature babies, as they generally have weaker immune systems, and their digestive systems are not fully developed when they are battling NEC.
While the condition generally occurs in premature babies, it can be a risk for other babies and even adults. The condition kills intestinal tissue, which can lead to a number of complications that are more severe in infants.
Though the current survival rates for infants with NEC are higher than they were in the 20th century (per the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center), babies who survive a bout with NEC can still suffer long-term effects, such as:
- Short Bowel Syndrome can occur if NEC damages part of the intestine or if the infant requires surgery to remove part of the damaged intestine. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Kidney Diseases, Short Bowel Syndrome can lead to malnutrition and failure to thrive. While it is typically treatable, malnutrition can cause life-long problems with digestion, weight gain, and increased risk for other infections.
- Intestinal tissues can be damaged or even die. When this occurs, bacteria can migrate into the bloodstream or abdomen. The bacteria can lead to inflammation and sepsis, a potentially fatal blood infection.
- NEC can also cause intestinal strictures, according to Cleveland Clinic. An intestinal stricture narrows the intestines, which can make it difficult or impossible for food to pass through. A baby may need surgery to re-open the intestine.
- Children who were diagnosed with NEC may also suffer developmental delays, according to the Cleveland Clinic.
These long-term effects can be extremely serious and very expensive. As the bills continue to pile up, you deserve the peace of mind of knowing you have sufficient funds to provide the care your child needs for their lifetime. Talk to an experienced child injury attorney at Dolman Law Group to learn how you can protect your child's future.
Signs of NEC
If you have been feeding Enfamil to your baby and notice your child exhibiting symptoms of NEC, get help immediately by calling your child's medical provider. Signs to look for include:
- Refusal to eat
- Changes in behavior, such as increased irritability
- Changes in bowel movements, specifically the appearance of bloody diarrhea
- Yellow or green vomit
- Bloating or swelling of the abdomen
- Changes in body temperature
How Dolman Law Group Can Help Your Family With an Enfamil Baby Formula Claim
State and federal laws are complicated and challenging for anyone who doesn't have a legal education and years of training. Trying to navigate the court system can leave you feeling stressed, exhausted, and confused. This is where we come in:
- Our lawyers will walk you through every step of the process and fight to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- We will evaluate your case beforehand, explore all possible avenues, and determine your possible legal options.
- We're prepared to file a lawsuit against Mead Johnson, the manufacturer of Enfamil, for failure to ensure the safety of its products for newborns and failure to warn about the dangers.
There is nothing more heart-wrenching than seeing your child in pain and fearing for their life. Our compassionate team of legal professionals at Dolman Law Group will work diligently for you to ensure you do not have to go through this challenging and emotionally-charged situation alone.
You Can Afford to Work With Our Enfamil Baby Formula Lawyers
You may worry that you cannot afford to hire a lawyer while paying for your child's medical expenses. However, there is no need to worry. At Dolman Law Group, we accept cases on a contingency basis which means that you pay nothing upfront, and we don't receive our fees until you receive compensation for your losses.
Compensation You May Recover in an Enfamil Lawsuit
The compensation you can recover depends on the specifics of your case. However, potential damages include:
- Medical bills, such as x-rays, blood tests, and fecal tests to diagnose NEC, as well as surgical costs to remove infections or to re-open the intestine, infection treatment, and ongoing care
- Lost earnings if you or your child's other parent need to take time off work to care for your child
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death losses
Contact an Enfamil Formula NEC Lawsuit Attorney at Dolman Law Group Today
No parent should have to experience the trauma you have been through with your child. We want to help hold the responsible manufacturer liable and protect other parents from facing the same tragedy.
The compassionate personal injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group are committed to ensuring you know what is happening with your case every step of the way. If your baby developed NEC after you or the hospital used Enfamil, call today to speak to a member of our dedicated baby formula lawsuit team.
Your consultation is free and you are under no obligation to take action. Remember, you pay us nothing unless and until we recover compensation for you. Call us at 866-481-5347 or complete our simple online contact form for your free consultation today.
Dolman Law Group works with local counsel in any jurisdiction outside Florida for the purpose of filing lawsuits in jurisdictions where we are not licensed. Thus, we will follow each State’s ethical rules to ensure a local attorney is involved.