Brookdale Senior Living Communities is a national corporation with communities in several states. The company offers a wide range of care for seniors, including Independent Living, Assisted Living, Alzheimer’s & Memory Care, and Hospice.
In February 2016, Brookdale continuing care retirement community, operated by Brookdale Senior Living, reached a $1 million settlement in a wrongful death and elder abuse suit filed in the state of California. Brookdale Fountain Grove, formerly known as Emeritus at Santa Rosa, agreed to the settlement resolving a lawsuit that followed the 2013 death of an elderly resident. Emeritus at Santa Rosa was renamed after Emeritus was purchased by Brookdale in 2014.
Other Brookdale Lawsuits
There are several lawsuits and complaints regarding Brookdale including:
- In June 2015, a federal judge preliminarily approved  a $13 million settlement of a class-action lawsuit against Emeritus Corp. (also known as Emeritus Senior Living and Brookdale Senior Living, Inc.). The complaint, which was originally filed in 2013 and amended in April 2015, alleged that the marketing materials for Emeritus Corp.’s assisted living facilities misrepresented that staffing decisions were based on evaluations by its residents when, in reality, the facilities were staffed based on labor budgets.
- In Cook County, Illinois, a woman is suing Emeritus Corp., doing business as Brookdale Senior Living. According to the September 28, 2013, complaint, Brookdale admitted the patient with significant leg weakness and progressive multiple sclerosis. On April 19, 2014, the patient was sexually assaulted by another resident at the facility.
- On November 30, 2011, an 88-year-old dementia patient in Michigan walked out of an unlocked back door where she slipped and fell, could not gain re-entry and froze to death outside overnight. The patient had resided at Grand Court, a senior living facility owned and operated by Brookdale Senior Living, Inc.
Types of Assisted Living Abuse
Assisted living abuse can take on several forms including:
- Physical Abuse: Physical abuse includes unwarranted physical harm including slapping, hitting, pushing, or kicking. Improper use of restraints and excessive restraints are also included. Physical abuse occurs when the resident is denied food or drinks, or forced to consume certain foods or drinks. Residents who have been subjected to physical abuse may have unexplained bruises, cuts or other injuries.
- Sexual Abuse: Sexual abuse occurs when an individual engages in non-consensual sexual acts with an assisted living resident.
- Unnecessary medical procedures: Some assisted living facilities perform or request medical procedures on healthy residents in order to fraudulently obtain compensation.
- Psychological Abuse: Psychological abuse may occur as verbal assault, harassment, bullying, and degradation. Psychological abuse may also occur as “babying” a resident or giving the “silent treatment” as a result of undesired actions.
- Neglect: When an assisted living facility is understaffed, residents may be the victim of neglect. Neglected residents may experience dehydration, malnourishment, or injuries such as rashes or sores. A resident may have pressure sores, bed sores or even unexplained weight loss.
- Financial Exploitation: Financial exploitation occurs when an assisted living resident is taken advantage of financially. This may include the unpermitted use of the resident’s money or property for the benefit of another.
Brookdale Senior Living Abuse Lawyers
Brookdale and other assisted living facilities or their insurance companies will deny any wrongdoing. They also routinely hire an attorney to handle such disputes. If they do accept responsibility, they may offer an unreasonably small amount to settle and claim that’s all your case is worth. If your loved one has been injured in a Brookdale owned or other senior living facility, it is important to speak to the experienced Brookdale senior living abuse lawyers at the Dolman Law Group. Call today at 727-222-6922 or contact us via email to schedule your free legal case evaluation and consultation.