Understanding the Pattern of Rural Traffic Accidents in FloridaWhen most people think of traveling in the city, they think of high volumes of traffic, honking horns, high-speed highways, traffic signals, and public transportation vehicles. In addition to the cars on urban roads, the streets are usually also bustling with pedestrians and bicyclists that may be more difficult to see. For this reason, it may be easy to assume that a larger amount of car accidents occur in the city that in rural areas. So are auto accidents more common in rural or urban areas? Statistics collected and published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) surprisingly show that a greater number of traffic-related injuries and fatalities occur on rural roads. According to the data from the 2010 United States Census, 19 percent of people in the United States lived in areas that were classified as “rural.” Despite the rural population being the distinct minority, NHTSA reported that in 2019 alone, 16,340 people died in motor vehicle accidents that occurred on rural roads, as opposed to 19,595 reported traffic fatalities in urban locations. This shows that, contrary to popular belief, those driving in rural areas are at a greater risk for serious and life-threatening injuries in auto accidents than motorists in urban areas.
Common Causes of Rural Car AccidentsCar crashes are more common in rural areas for a variety of reasons. Environmental factors and driver behavior often both play a role. For starters, there is significantly more land considered rural than urban. The following are some of the most common causes of rural accidents and reasons why fatal accidents are more frequent in rural areas than in urban areas.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Rural Florida:
- Speeding: Posted speed limits are often higher on rural roads. They are usually 55 miles per hour or higher, even if the road is a two-lane highway. This can make curves and intersections dangerous. Additionally, rural roads tend to have a much lower rate of law enforcement presence. Therefore, drivers are more apt to speed than on urban roads where they may receive a ticket.
- Dangerous roads: Rural roads are often winding with many hills. This makes them inherently more dangerous than flat, straight, grid-like road systems. Additionally, rural roads have a greater chance of falling into disrepair due to less frequent maintenance, often causing dangerous potholes, cracks, and more. Finally, rural roads often do not have shoulder on which to pull off the main road. Drivers may be forced to resort to stopping their vehicles in dangerous places.
- Alcohol use: Drunk driving is often a bigger problem in rural areas for several reasons. First, there are generally no taxicabs, subways, or other public transportation to use as an alternative for driving while impaired. Also, the distance between homes and towns is often larger. As a result, having a designated driver often seems inconvenient in rural areas. For this reason, drunk driving occurs frequently and can result in serious accidents.
- Not wearing a seat belt: Statistics show that fewer people wear seat belts or use other safety restraints while driving in rural areas than in cities. This generally leads to more serious injuries in the event of a collision.
Why Should I Choose Dolman Law Group to Represent Me in a Car Accident Lawsuit?At Dolman Law Group, we set a high standard for ourselves. Our team of accomplished car crash attorneys will work tirelessly to pursue maximum compensation on your behalf. Insurance companies do not have the same goal. In fact, they want to limit the amount of compensation you receive as much as possible. You need a reputable car crash lawyer who is familiar with insurance company tactics to persistently negotiate for your needs. We know how important a fair settlement can be to help you get your life back on track. That's why we won't pressure you to agree to a settlement that amounts to less than you deserve. Our motor vehicle collision lawyers have recently negotiated the following settlements:
- 1 million dollars in a rideshare accident claim that killed a Florida father
- 5 million dollars for a car accident client with burn injuries
- 425 thousand for an auto accident client with a lower back injury
Contact Dolman Law Group For Help With Your Car Accident LawsuitWhether you have suffered injury or other losses in a rural or urban accident, Florida tort law allows you to recover from any potentially negligent parties by filing a personal injury claim. Additionally, if you have lost a loved one in a traffic-related accident, you have the right to recover for your tragic loss by filing a claim under Florida's wrongful death statute. You do not need to navigate this difficult time alone. With the expert help of Dolman Law Group's auto accident attorneys, you may be able to obtain compensation for costs like medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Our team will go above and beyond to secure you a fair settlement. We aren't afraid to take your claim to trial if we can't come to a fair solution in negotiations. Take advantage of a free consultation with our auto accident attorneys today. You can reach us by phone at (727) 451-6900 or through our website's online contact form. We look forward to learning more about your claim so that we can assist you in rebuilding your life. Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA 800 North Belcher Road Clearwater, FL 33756 727-451-6900