It can take several weeks or months to settle a claim with Liberty Mutual, one of the biggest auto insurance companies in the U.S. If you've recently been hurt in a car accident, there's a big chance you may have to file an insurance claim against Liberty Mutual to recover compensation for your injuries and other damages.
However, this process is complex, and you may get a lowball settlement only after lengthy negotiations. This is why it could be in your best interest to reach out to a car accident lawyer for legal help with your claim.
Be Prepared for the Claims Process to Take Time
Sometimes, it can take up to a year to finalize a settlement with Liberty Mutual. Claimants should always prepare for the possibility that the process will take time. This is usually the case when you must deal with resistant insurance adjusters working on the company's behalf. These adjusters are there to ensure Liberty Mutual ends up paying very little to compensate you for the accident.
Therefore, they'll spend several months searching for new evidence and use it to devalue or even outright deny your claim. A lawyer could help negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance adjusters on your behalf. This way, your compensation might be paid quickly so that you can use the money to cater to medical bills, repair your car, and overcome other financial struggles that could easily push you into debt.
How Long does It Take to Receive a Settlement Check from Liberty Mutual?
The amount of time it takes for Liberty Mutual to send you a settlement check depends on how long the negotiations take. Once you've reached an agreement with the insurance company, a settlement check will take about two to three weeks to get to you. If the insurance company takes longer than usual to mail the check, it is probably acting in bad faith.
On the other hand, if you had a car accident lawyer representing you in the case, the settlement check will likely be sent to the law firm. It will take its payment for the legal fees you owe, and then the check could take a few more days to get to you. In case of any delays, we advise you to request a tracking number from the insurance company than having them reissue the check.
How Can You Strengthen Your Negotiating Position?
One way to exert dominance during negotiation talks with Liberty Mutual is to prepare your arguments thoroughly. The insurance adjusters will come prepared to counter the evidence you present. They have a claims book they use to assign value to all injuries sustained in a car accident.
It is your responsibility to prove to them that your case is unique and that the claims book isn't needed when assigning a value to the damages incurred. This is likely the only way you'll recover a fair settlement at the end of the case.
Here are some of the details you should prepare to strengthen your negotiating position against Liberty Mutual:
- Ensure you prepare all documents associated with the accident, including a copy of the original police report and witness statements.
- Present pictures and videos of the accident scene, your damaged vehicle, the at-fault driver's vehicle, and the injuries you sustained in the accident.
- Prepare your final medical bills and receipts of other accident-related expenses you incurred.
- Know for sure the amount of damage your vehicle suffered and the cost of repairs.
- Note all the economic damages you've incurred after the accident, including lost wages, lost benefits, and lost earning capacity.
- Have a settlement amount in mind.
- Expect the insurance company to reject your first settlement offer. This usually happens by default because the insurer wants to offer you the lowest settlement possible.
- Don't be quick to accept the first settlement offer from the insurance company; most of the time, this offer is unreasonably low, and the adjusters present it to you to test whether you're versed with what you're doing.
- Note all the facts that may work in your favor during negotiations. Although the insurance adjusters are familiar with the accident's basic details, they probably don't know how it has affected your life.
Should You Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Yes. If you have a car accident lawyer representing you in negotiation talks, the insurance company may take you more seriously. On the other hand, if you handle your claim without legal representation, Liberty Mutual will likely prolong the negotiations to frustrate you into accepting a lowball settlement offer.
Dolman Law Group Can Help with Your Liberty Mutual Insurance Claim
If you've recently been injured in a car accident, you may want to consider filing an insurance claim against Liberty Mutual. At the Dolman Law Group, we're ready to help you build a strong case and negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. Call us today for a free consultation and responsive legal support.