Over the years, buses have become an integral part of the United States transportation system. Millions of people rely on buses to get them to their destinations every day. However, as much as buses are an economical and integral part of public transportation, bus accidents unfortunately do happen, and can be catastrophic.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), thousands of bus accidents occur every year in the United States. If you’ve recently been injured in a bus accident, you may be entitled to compensation. A Savannah bus accident lawyer could help you to navigate the legal process to recover damages in your case.
How a Lawyer Can Help
You may sustain serious injuries following a bus accident that could take weeks or even months to heal. Such injuries can quickly accumulate enormous medical bills that may leave you and your family in a difficult financial situation. An ideal way out of this situation is to file an insurance claim or lawsuit to help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and any other damages incurred.
Immediately after the bus accident, the liable party’s insurance company may try to offer you a settlement. Their main goal is to protect their assets and limit the compensation you get from the case. Fortunately, you’re not obligated to accept this settlement.
Instead, you might choose to reach out to a bus accident lawyer to fight on your behalf against the insurance adjusters as you focus on making a full recovery. A Savannah bus accident lawyer may decide to do the following action items depending on your case:
- Determine what caused the accident
- Gather evidence to prove liability
- Evaluate the police report to gain insight on all details regarding the accident
- Interview all witnesses present at the accident scene
- Review your medical records to assess the extent of your injuries
- Evaluate all damages incurred to come up with a fair settlement amount
- Handle all communications and paperwork with the insurance adjusters on your behalf
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance adjusters on your behalf
- Represent you in a trial if necessary
Leading Causes of Bus Accidents
Much like any other type of automobile accidents, bus accidents in Savannah happen due to various reasons, such as:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Fatigued driving
- Insufficient driver training
- Failure to yield the right way
- Aggressive and reckless driving
- Running red lights
- Poor bus maintenance
- Poor road conditions
- Bad weather conditions
- Defective equipment
Savannah Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me 833-552-7274
Proving Liability in a Bus Accident
Once the cause of the bus accident has been established, the next step is to prove liability. Your lawyer will need to determine who was liable for the bus accident that led to your injuries to receive compensation. It’s not always clear who’s liable for a bus accident. At times, multiple parties may be responsible, including:
- The Bus Driver: Most buses on U.S. roads are common carriers, meaning that the bus drivers have a heightened responsibility to get the passengers to their preferred destinations safely. If the bus driver was driving recklessly when they caused the accident, you might hold them responsible for your injuries and other damages.
- The Bus Company or Employer: Bus companies or employers are responsible for hiring and training their drivers. If an accident occurs due to the bus company or employer’s negligence in the hiring process, you could hold them responsible for sustained injuries.
- Bus or Parts Manufacturer: Before any company sells buses or parts, they must ensure that the products are thoroughly tested. If a bus accident happens due to a defective part, the bus or parts manufacturer could be held accountable.
- Other Negligent Drivers: Bus accidents aren’t always caused by the bus. If a third-party driver causes the bus accident, they could be held liable for all the injuries and damages incurred by all the victims.
- The Company in Charge of Bus Maintenance: All vehicles, including buses, must be properly maintained and cared for. Any necessary repairs should be done in time to ensure that everything functions properly. If a bus accident occurs because the bus wasn’t properly maintained, the company in charge may be held responsible.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Savannah, call 833-552-7274
Common Injuries Associated with Bus Accidents
Most bus passengers don’t wear safety belts. Even if a bus is fitted with safety belts, some passengers choose not to fasten them, especially if they’re only traveling short distances. This along with other factors increase the risk of bus accidents that can result in devastating injuries.
For instance, if a bus accident occurs, the passengers seated close to the windows will likely sustain severe facial injuries. Additionally, the bus passengers seated on the other side will likely hit their heads against the seats. The following are the most common injuries resulting from bus accidents:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Cuts and lacerations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
Compensation You Can Recover
Every bus accident case is unique, so it’s impossible to come up with an accurate estimate of a given claim. However, if you’ve recently been injured in a bus accident, your lawyer can help you recover different types of damages, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Property damage
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages and benefits
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Diminished life quality
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as transport costs
Wrongful Death Claim
If your loved one dies in a bus accident, your lawyer will pursue a wrongful death claim to recover loss of consortium, medical expenses before the victim’s demise, as well as, funeral and burial expenses.
If the defendant acted in gross misconduct or caused the bus accident intentionally, a Georgia court may order them to pay punitive damages to the victims as additional punishment. It may be best to seek the legal help of a Savannah bus accident lawyer to recover punitive damages in your bus accident case.
Contact the Dolman Law Group
Life after a bus accident can be stressful and challenging. Fortunately, a Savannah bus accident lawyer can help you get compensation to cover your medical bills and other damages you incurred. Contact the Dolman Law Group today for a free-consultation and case review.