The Florida Highway Safety  and Motor Vehicles provides that distracted driving accidents in Florida increased 25 percent since 2012. Even though teens represent only five percent of licensed drivers, they were responsible for 12 percent of distracted driving accidents. Drivers aged 20–29 were responsible for 31 percent of those collisions. Smartphones should not be used while driving as they are responsible for distracted driving accidents at an alarming rate. For that reason, many insurance companies recommend turning a smartphone off while driving. When used properly in this manner, however, that same smartphone could turn into an asset if you should be involved in an automobile accident.
How Can Your Smartphone Help After an Accident?
In the minutes following an automobile accident, it can be difficult to think clearly or decide what steps to take first. But properly documenting what happened and who was involved in the collision is critical in order to protect your rights and to seek the compensation to which you are entitled.
In order to make sure that you document all of the necessary information, you likely have all that you need already; your smartphone. Here are some suggestions for what you can do after being involved in an St. Petersburg automobile accident:
- Debris: Take photographs of any debris or other material that is on the road. Be sure to include a photograph of where the debris is located in relation to your vehicle as well as any other vehicle at the scene of the accident.
- Damage: Take photographs of any damage that has been done to your vehicle as well as any other vehicle at the scene of the accident. Try to take some pictures of the entire scene with all of the vehicles included if you are able to do so in a safe manner. A video of the accident scene may also be helpful.
- Accident Scene: Take close-ups of the vehicle damage, take further back photographs of the vehicles, skid marks, photos of where the automobiles came to rest in the intersection, and take further back photos of the debris in the roadway in relation to where the collision vehicles ended up. Avoid moving your vehicle and encourage other drivers involved to not move their vehicles until the police arrive, or at least not until you have taken sufficient photographs to document the collision. Make sure to take your photographs from different angles so as to leave no doubt about the position of the vehicles in relation to road markers, stop signs and traffic lights.
- Personal Information: Use a note-taking app to record the names, phone numbers and driver license numbers of anyone involved in the collision. Record the contact and insurance information of all parties involved in the accident as well as information regarding any eye witnesses.
- Place Important Calls: Take some time to enter contacts into your phone so they are readily available after an accident. Input the phone number for local non-emergencies and the number of your insurance company’s claims department. If you have not already done so, create a new contact named “in case of emergency” or “ICE.” If you are seriously injured, this is the number that emergency personnel will look for to find the friend or family member that you wish to be contacted.
- Accident Checklists: Consumer Reports  recommends several smartphone apps to be used as a checklist after an accident. You may also be able to receive a recommendation for an app from your insurance company or perhaps even an app from their company.
St. Petersburg Automobile Accident Lawyers
If you are involved in an automobile accident, you may be able to use your smartphone to take important photographs and to collect necessary information. After you have contacted the local authorities and your insurance company, it is important to speak to a St. Petersburg automobile accident lawyer. The attorneys at the Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA are skilled auto accident attorneys. Contact Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA today at 727-222-6922 to schedule your free legal case evaluation and consultation.
Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
1663 1st Ave S.
St. Petersburg, FL 33712