Saving gas, freedom, and excitement are all part of the reason why so many of us love traveling by motorcycle. Combine that with the scenic roadways in Tallahassee and the great year-round weather, and there is little doubt that you will enjoy your ride.
The challenge for many who operate a motorcycle is the others with whom they share the road. Unfortunately, drivers are not always as cautious as they should be, which can mean your life could be upended in a matter of seconds if you are involved in a Tallahassee motorcycle accident.
If you or someone you love is in a motorcycle accident in Tallahassee, a Tallahassee motorcycle accident lawyer at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, can get compensation for your injuries and your resulting financial losses.
Table of Contents
- Why Choose Dolman Law Group
- Motorcycle Accident Compensation
- Common Injuries and Motorcycle Accidents
- Fighting the Insurance Company
- What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
- Contact a Tallahassee Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA?
One of the most important aspects of hiring a personal injury attorney to represent you following a motorcycle accident is experience and commitment to clients. You will get this and more when you hire our award-winning legal team to represent you following a motorcycle accident. Contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, for your free case evaluation.
Our experience speaks louder than anything we can tell you.
Some of our recent successes include:
- Motorcycle accident resulting in multiple serious injuries – Settlement of $1.4 million
- Motorcycle accident caused a TBI – Settlement of $1 million
- Accident caused a subdural hematoma along with a rotator cuff shoulder injury – Settlement of $750,000
- Motorcycle collision cervical fusion – Settlement of $450,000
We know our past results do not always mean we will succeed in future claims, but we also know that our experience helps our clients move forward. We have the experience to successfully navigate your insurance claim.
Contact an Experienced Tallahassee Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, are committed to ensuring we do everything possible to protect the victim of an accident. We know that no amount of money will sufficiently make up for the loss of mobility, loss of activity, and loss of enjoyment that accompanies an injury. However, we can ensure that you and your family are not left suffering the financial consequences of an accident that was not your fault.
Contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA today if you were involved in a Tallahassee motorcycle accident. We will provide you with a free, no strings attached case evaluation and help you understand your legal options to seek compensation from the parties responsible for your injuries.
Contact us at any one of our Florida offices, call us, or fill out our online contact form and let us explain how we can make a difference in the final settlement amount you can recover following a Tallahassee motorcycle accident.
Potential Motorcycle Accident Compensation
One question we always hear is, “How much compensation can a motorcycle accident victim secure following an injury?”
Numerous factors will factor into the final compensation payment.
Some of these include:
- The extent of the victim’s injuries
- The at-fault party’s insurance limit
- The impact of the injury on the victim’s life
- The cost of treating the injuries
- The amount of time it takes to recover following a motorcycle accident
These are only some of the factors which are involved. In most cases, we can help you secure reimbursement for your financial losses, as well as some non-economic losses.
Some of these may include:
- Medical expenses incurred because of your injury
- Wages and benefits lost while recovering from an injury
- Equipment necessary while recovering, including crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, and hospital beds
- Costs associated with hiring in-home help while you recover
- Pain and suffering
At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we want you to have the time you need to focus on getting back your physical health. At the same time, we fight with the insurance company to secure you the maximum compensation. We know how stressful dealing with insurance companies can be, and we are committed to relieving you of that burden and stress.
Tallahassee Is a Wonderful Community for Motorcycles, but Hazardous
This is a great community for the nearly 200,00 residents and the more than 2 million people who visit Tallahassee annually. Across Florida, there are approximately 620,000 registered motorcycles, the second-highest count in the United States. The problem is that this also poses some unique challenges for those traveling by motorcycle.
Tallahassee offers numerous state parks, including:
- Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park
- Lake Jackson Mounds Archaeological State Park
- Natural Bridge Battlefield Historic State Park
These are ideal locations for tourists to learn more about Tallahassee and the perfect location for motorcycle operators to take a break.
The Claude Pepper Memorial Highway (U.S. 27) is well-traveled by cars, trucks, and motorcycles and is considered one of the most dangerous roadways in Tallahassee. This route is a specifically motorcycle-friendly area where riders can get the full experience. However, the area traffic can endanger motorcyclists.
Every driver in Florida must carry auto insurance. In Florida, by statute, the coverage is no-fault, meaning a driver would normally submit an accident claim to their insurer. Motorcycle operators do not have the option to maintain no-fault coverage. This makes insurance claims even more complicated, so you should seek guidance from a motorcycle accident injury attorney at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, immediately after an accident.
Common Injuries and Motorcycle Accidents
A motorcycle accident can create terrifying devastation.
Some of the common types of accidents involving motorcycles include:
- Dooring Accidents – When a car door opens into the roadway and bumps the motorcyclist.
- Speeding Accidents – Cars speeding through an intersection to beat a red light could miss a motorcyclist traveling legally.
- Blind Spot Accidents – Car blind spots cause accidents when crossing lanes, particularly on a multi-lane roadway like I-27.
- Drunk Driving Collisions – A drunk driver loses the ability to determine how much room they need to safely stop their vehicle putting everyone on the road at risk.
- Distracted Driving Collisions – It only takes a split second of inattention to cause a rear-end accident, a front-end collision because someone crossed into another lane, or a sideswipe collision because of not paying attention.
Careless motor vehicle drivers cause many of these accidents. This makes a motorcyclist especially vulnerable since they have so little injury protection.
Some of the common types of injuries victims of Tallahassee motorcycle accidents suffer include:
- Road rash which can be very serious
- Broken or crushed bones
- Internal injuries resulting in organ damage
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Leg and foot injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
Every victim’s injury will be different because every accident is unique. Even two people involved in a similar accident can have a very different outcome. Remember, the speed at which two vehicles collide, the size of the vehicles, and the distance a crash throws a motorcyclist will play roles in the severity of an injury.
Additional factors such as the motorcycle operator’s protective equipment, their overall health and physical condition at the time of the accident, and their height and weight may also play roles in the severity of the injury they suffer.
Tallahassee Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 833-552-7274
Fighting the Insurance Company
The biggest hurdle a Tallahassee motorcycle accident victim will face is dealing with the responsible party’s insurance company. Never do this without an attorney.
In most cases, we recommend that accident victims allow their legal team to work with the insurer for the following reasons:
- There may be multiple insurance companies involved
- Insurance adjusters ask the same question in multiple ways to extract different answers
- Insurers will never advise you of what legal options you have
- Insurers do not like to pay claims as it impacts their bottom line
- Insurers can mislead victims and convince them to sign documents that are not needed
A motorcycle accident victim should never do some things when dealing with an insurance company.
Some of these include:
- Providing recorded statements – Some adjusters may tell you they cannot offer a settlement or resolve a claim without a recorded statement. This is inaccurate.
- Signing documents without legal review – Insurers often send documents for signature, which may include medical records requests. Do not sign any documents until your legal team has reviewed them.
- Accepting a fast settlement offer – In general, a fast settlement offer allows the insurer to get off the hook for long-term issues. They may tell you that the offer is the “best” offer they will make. Do not fall for this. It is likely an attempt to pay as little as possible.
The most important thing a Tallahassee motorcycle accident victim should remember is that insurance adjusters work for the insurance company. This typically means their goal is at direct odds with your goal. You want a fair settlement, and the adjuster is determined to save their employer money. They are not there to protect you. Only your motorcycle accident injury attorney from Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA can do that and advocate on our behalf.
What to Do After a Tallahassee Motorcycle Accident
First, you must ensure you do not suffer any additional injuries or harm from a motorcycle accident. Seek immediate medical care following an accident, even if you do not think your injuries are serious. After seeking medical care, you can take other steps to ensure that you regain some control over what happens later. Some of the things you can do include:
Contact a lawyer from Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, and provide them:
- A recap in your words of the accident and any information regarding witnesses and their contact information.
- A copy of all your medical bills associated with the treatment you received for your injuries.
- A copy of all receipts for expenses pertaining to your injuries, including medical bills, prescription costs, and any additional household expenses incurred because of your injury.
- A copy of the police report filed after the accident.
- A journal detailing your pain levels, movement restrictions, and events you may have missed because of your injury.
Your legal team can help protect your rights and help you regain some control over the process of obtaining the right settlement for your injuries.
- Discussing your injury or accident on social media platforms
- Doing anything likely to jeopardize your recovery
- Performing any task which directly contradicts your physical state after an injury
- Providing recorded statements to an insurance adjuster
You can only protect yourself if you understand what you should watch out for when dealing with insurance agents and adjusters.
Some of the things to keep in mind include:
- Insurers are looking for any reason to deny a claim.
- Insurers will be investigating your injury claim and may contact coworkers, neighbors, and family to see what events you may be participating in while recovering.
- Insurance adjusters are not interested in what is best for you.
- You should avoid giving any impression that you are responsible for the accident.
As a Tallahassee motorcycle accident victim, you may have a long road to recovery ahead. Most motorcycle accident victims suffer from serious injuries because they lack the protection offered by the surroundings of a motor vehicle. You have rights, and you must take whatever steps you can to protect them. This is why we strongly encourage injured motorcyclists to contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, for your free consultation.
Contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
You deserve to have someone helping you fight back against an insurance company. An insurer’s primary goal is to pay as little as possible to accident injury victims. As a victim, you have the right not to face financial ruin when you were involved in an accident that was not your fault. Do not suffer any financial losses because of another person’s negligence.
If you have suffered an injury in a Tallahassee motorcycle accident, contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, today at (866) 467-0943 and find out how we can help. We are committed to helping victims get the best possible settlement for their claims.
2707 Killarney Way, Suite 205
Tallahassee, FL 32309
What Our Clients Have to Say:
“Chad Robinson always responded immediately whenever I had questions or concerns. He worked hard to make sure I received what I deserved.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
“AMAZING and understanding attorneys! Did great on my case and I highly recommend Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for anyone that has been injured in an accident!”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!
Why Should I Hire a Motorcycle Lawyer if I Have Minor Injuries?
One of the biggest challenges a motorcycle accident victim in Tallahassee faces is often dealing with their physical injuries following the accident. While initially, the injuries may appear minor, sometimes it may take a few days following an accident to learn the full extent of the injury and, worse, how it may impact their lives in the future.
A motorcycle operator must first prove who was at fault for the accident and file their insurance claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company.
How Do You Prove Liability After a Tallahassee Motorcycle Accident?
Drivers on Florida roads owe others on the road a duty of care. When drivers speed, drive distracted, or ignore traffic signals, they breach that duty of care. When that breach causes an injury, the victim has suffered a loss.
To prove liability,
- we can obtain:
- Copies of the accident report
- Statements from accident witnesses
- Any video camera footage such as that captured by traffic cameras
- Information regarding a victim’s medical treatment after an accident
One recent year saw 75 crashes involving motorcycles in the Tallahassee area, injuring 62 victims.
Which Law Enforcement Agency Investigates Motorcycle Accidents?
This largely depends on where the accident took place. In most cases, the local police department where the accident took place may take the lead in the investigation. The Florida Highway Patrol will likely handle the investigation if the accident occurred on a highway.
Regardless of which law enforcement agencies are investigating a motorcycle accident, victims may still need someone involved in their case to consider their interests. Hiring a motorcycle accident attorney makes sense in all Tallahassee motorcycle accidents.
What Compensation Can I Collect After a Motorcycle Accident?
Many factors may affect the compensation a Tallahassee motorcycle accident victim may collect.
However, in general, claims include:
- Damage to personal property
- Medical expenses to treat injuries sustained in an accident
- Future medical expenses in the event the injury requires long-term care
- Loss of wages, including future reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress
The experienced motorcycle accident lawyers at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA can seek additional compensation, particularly if your injuries are very serious. The more serious your injuries, the more likely you need an experienced legal team to represent your interests.
Do I Need to Report the Motorcycle Accident to My Insurance Company?
Yes. Even if you are not at fault for an accident, it is a good idea to contact your insurer and advise them of the accident. This will establish that you have reported the accident if the other driver’s insurer contacts them. There is no need to share information beyond the accident’s date, time, and location. If the adjuster presses you for additional information, contact an attorney immediately.
Do I Have to Contact the At-Fault Driver’s Insurance Company?
No. The driver must notify their own insurance company of their accident. You are under no obligation to contact them, and you should not contact them because doing so could place your claim at risk.
What Is Involved in Negotiating With an Insurance Company?
After a motorcyclist files an accident claim, an insurance adjuster will contact a Tallahassee motorcycle accident victim. The adjuster is working for the insurance company. Never negotiate with the adjuster without a lawyer.
Insurance company adjusters will work hard to help their employer minimize the amount they pay you. That means they will probably ask several questions of the accident victim to help them reach that goal.
Insurance companies will typically have lawyers at their disposal to help them easily navigate claims. Their goal is to avoid paying more than required after an accident. You can level the playing field by having a lawyer protecting your interests and serving as your advocate.
How Long Will It Take to Settle a Motorcycle Accident Claim?
There is no easy way to answer this question because it depends on several factors. The more complicated your specific situation, the longer the claims process could take. When a motorcycle accident victim has only minor injuries, the claim will probably finish in a relatively short time. However, this could be very different if your injuries are serious.
When a Tallahassee motorcycle accident victim suffers a serious injury, the process of securing a settlement has to take some of these factors into consideration:
- Whether the victim has reached maximum medical recovery – Until a victim who suffers a serious injury has no hope of gaining any additional benefit from further medical treatment, they may not know the final impact of their injury. Until that time, you cannot determine your lost future earning capacity.
- The willingness of the insurer to negotiate in good faith – Some insurance companies will make an initial offer and then stubbornly refuse to make any additional offers even when it is clear the victim suffered higher losses. This refusal may necessitate the need to file a lawsuit.
- Amount of time before the statutes of limitations expire – Victims have two years after an accident to file a lawsuit. While there may be limited circumstances that could change this deadline, this will play a role in when you may file a lawsuit.
Several things could impact how long a case could take to settle. When you meet with a Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA attorney, they can discuss your specific case with you and help you understand the process more thoroughly.
How Much Can a Tallahassee Motorcycle Accident Victim Expect for a Settlement?
Nearly every accident victim asks this question, but no one size fits all response can answer it.
The factors that will affect a final settlement amount include:
- How severe the injury is – Victims who have suffered only minor injuries will collect less than those who have a more serious injury. In large part, this has to do with multiple issues, including the impact of the injury on the victims’ ability to work, the amount of medical care needed, and other similar issues.
- The long-term impact of an injury – If an accident victim suffers a broken bone, though it is serious, once the injury heals, they may experience few future issues. However, a back injury, head injury, or an injury that requires amputation will leave long-term significant impacts.
- Earnings before injury – When submitting a claim for lost income and future loss of earnings, the victim’s annual earnings will also affect the final settlement amount. Your attorney will ask an expert witness to evaluate the potential lost earnings you may suffer if you cannot return to work.
As you can see, pinpointing the amount a motorcycle accident victim might be able to collect is based on factors varying from victim to victim. Therefore, the best option is to discuss what types of compensation as well as amounts with your accident injury lawyer. This will provide you with the best information based on your specific claim.
Can I File a Motorcycle Accident Claim Without an Attorney?
Not successfully. Accident victims can technically file claims without an attorney, but it is not advisable. Remember that you have only one chance to get compensated for your injury. Unless you have experience dealing with insurance companies and know how they minimize claims, hire someone so you get the maximum possible compensation for your injuries.
How Can a Motorcycle Injury Lawyer Help With My Claim?
An attorney can help a Tallahassee motorcycle accident victim with their claims in multiple ways.
In addition to serving as your advocate, we can:
- Thoroughly investigate the accident to establish fault
- Help with any paperwork related to the accident
- Handle all communication with insurance companies
- Negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company
- Take insurance company to court when necessary
Whenever someone suffers an injury, their entire body is in shock. Your recovery after a Tallahassee motorcycle accident largely depends on your ability to focus on your treatment and recovery.
Stress plays a large role in how quickly your body will recover from your injuries. Stress is a normal reaction to an injury. However, when you are out of work, you are also facing financial stress because you are naturally concerned about the impact of lower income on your family. A lawyer can help minimize stress by taking over the aspects of your case, including negotiations with insurers on your behalf, relieving you of that stress.
How Much Will It Cost to Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
Every accident victim shares this concern. When you are out of work, you worry about how you spend money. The good news is that a Tallahassee motorcycle accident victim can work with an attorney on a contingency fee basis in nearly all cases. This means that unless and until the attorney has successfully negotiated an acceptable settlement, the victim will not pay any legal fees.
Everyone must understand how a contingency fee works. When a victim agrees to hire an attorney, the attorney will ask them to sign a retainer agreement that permits them to begin working on their case.
A contingency fee agreement will state that the attorney will collect a percentage of the victim’s award at the end of the case. It may spell out other fees, including legal filings, serving notice fees, and more.
The award percentage would depend on whether the settlement occurred before your case had to go to court because going to court requires more legal work on your behalf. All of this should be discussed with your legal team when you sign these agreements.