Tap To Call: 727-451-6900

T-Bone Accidents, Hit-and-Runs, and How You Can Recover

On the roadways, broadside collisions—commonly referred to as “t-bone accidents” for their distinctive shape—are among the most dangerous. As the term implies, these accidents occur when the front of a car collides with the side of another. These accidents are so damaging because the most common cause of them is failure to slow, stop, or yield to opposing traffic, meaning the vehicles which are involved are often unaware of the impending collision. Consider the form of the crash…how can one driver collide head-on with the side of another car unless some form of traffic infraction or negligence was committed?

T-bone accidents almost always occur in intersections, with a rare few occurring in parking lots and other places. Sadly, the cars involved in a t-bone accident are often travelling with the flow of other traffic, upwards of 40, 50, and even 60 miles-per-hour. If a driver fails to stop at a red light or stop sign, or even yield at a roundabout, railroad track or other form of traffic-regulation device, they’re setting themselves up for a broadside collision. It’s not always a driver’s fault however, as the possibilities of defective traffic signals or tucked away stop signs are definitely real.

Can I recover from a hit-and-run accident? 

If a distracted driver runs a stop sign, they could very well be the cause of a t-bone accident. Believe it or not, these accidents scenes are also among the most commonly fled, and that’s because a t-bone accident is rarely caused by something other than negligence. A drunken driver may fear the consequences and chose to flee the scene, leaving a potentially injured, possibly even killed person(s) behind. This sad occurrence is horrific, and I applaud any investigational work that leads to harsh repercussions for the at-fault party.

But what does this mean for the victims of a hit-and-run? If there’s no one to pursue for the damages you’ve sustained, how are you going to recover? Luckily, Florida is a no-fault state; that means you’ll be able to receive medical benefits through Personal Injury Protection. Unfortunately, property damage is not covered by PIP, so you’ll have to use another form of insurance. This insurance is known as Collision coverage will pay for vehicle repair costs (up to your policy’s limit) if either: you were in an accident with someone who does not have insurance (which is illegal in the state of Florida), or if you were the victim of a hit-and-run accident with no party to hold liable.  Further, you may be able to recover for your injuries from an Uninsured Motorist Policy (UM) if you elected to purchase such coverage.

UM is a great addition to have on your car insurance policy and can really help a struggling victim out in times of trouble, so look over your policy and determine whether or not you are covered for such a scenario.

What steps should I take to recover? 

Broadside collisions, hit-and-run accidents, and many other forms of motor vehicle crashes involve so many factors and variables that even the most experienced investigators can have a hard time determining the liable party. You may be forced to live without a car for the time being; you could be seriously injured or even just suffering from a broken arm that stops you from doing your job properly; the life of a loved one may have been wrongfully taken, yet it seems there’s no one to financially assist you.

Often times, there’s a surprisingly crucial piece of information which a victim possesses that would allow them to receive significant financial compensation for their losses. That’s why it’s important to speak with an experienced t-bone collision attorney that knows exactly what you’ll need to make a successful claim and secure the compensation that you deserve for lost wages, wrongful death, etc.

For more information on recovering from personal injury due to another party’s negligence, get in touch with an attorney at Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for a free consultation and case evaluation by calling us today at 727-451-6900.

Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33765