Divorce is an emotional process. Unfortunately, emotions are not the only concern, as divorce is also a strict legal process, as well. Florida has specific laws that mandate how a divorce must be sought and the issues that must be resolved prior to the dissolution of your marriage.
The good news is that the St. Petersburg lawyers of Dolman Law Group are here to help you through your divorce so you can move forward in the best situation possible. Call our office today to learn more about our divorce services today.
Florida Divorce Laws Can be Complex
Many people believe that divorce is about splitting everything down the middle. However, this is hardly ever the case, as that is almost impossible to do in most situations. With children, homes, joint debts, and complicated financial accounts, many divorces are significantly more complicated than just dividing everything equally. To address this, divorce laws in Florida can also be complicated. The following are some examples of complex divorce laws in our state:
- Equitable division of property – By “equitable,” Florida law means that property must be divided in a fair manner in light of the circumstances, which is rarely “equal.” If one spouse gets the house, the other will likely get more assets or other property. All marital property and debts should be considered when determining an equitable division.
- Child custody – Instead of “custody,” Florida law refers to time-sharing (which equates to physical custody) and shared parental responsibility (legal custody, which involves decision-making). Courts will review or determine time-sharing and parental responsibility arrangements based on what is in the best interest of the child.
- Spousal support – Traditionally, alimony was seen as payments a husband would make to a wife until she remarried or passed away. However, under current Florida law, either spouse may be ordered to pay alimony and it is usually for a limited amount of time while the other spouse gets on their feet.
Guiding You Through the Divorce Process
At Dolman Law Group, not only do we explain the often complicated divorce laws and requirements to you, but we will provide guidance throughout every step of the divorce process. We can help you with the following and more:
- Draft and file a petition
- Respond to a petition filed by your spouse
- Help you gather all necessary financial documents
- Examine financial documents presented by your spouse
- Help you design a reasonable settlement offer for property division, custody, and more
- Respond to settlement offers from your spouse
- Negotiate agreements whenever possible on the major issues in your divorce
- Engage in mediation when needed to assist with compromise
- Represent you in front of the judge for all hearings
- Represent you at trial if the court must rule on certain issues
Contact Our Experienced St. Petersburg Divorce Lawyers for Help Today
If you are facing divorce or possible divorce, please do not hesitate to call the experienced and dedicated legal team at Dolman Law Group. Our divorce attorneys are committed to helping you through this often stressful time, so please contact us to schedule a consultation today.