How a Savannah Truck Accident Lawyer HelpsGiven the destructive nature of truck accidents, victims may have to deal with severe injuries, financial losses, damages to their truck or even fatalities. If you were involved in a truck accident, you might have a right to claim compensation for your damages. However, since these accidents involve several parties, claiming compensation can be challenging. To protect your rights, you should consider hiring a Savannah truck accident lawyer and increase your chances of getting fair compensation. Depending on your case, your lawyer will:
- Work with experts, such as accident reconstruction specialists, to establish the cause of the accident and liability
- Collect evidence, such as video surveillance, police reports, witness testimonies, and medical reports, to build a strong case and prove your claim
- File a claim or lawsuit
- Use evidence to determine your damages
- Value your damages
- Negotiate fair settlement
- Represent you in court if necessary
Statute of LimitationsAccording to Georgia's statute of limitations, you only have two years from the accident date to file a claim or lawsuit. If the accident was fatal, you should file a claim or lawsuit within one year from the date of the death. Therefore, to protect your claim, it's best to hire a lawyer as soon as possible to give them enough time to build a strong case as you concentrate on recovering from the accident.
Liability in Truck AccidentsTrucking companies and drivers must adhere to state, federal, and traffic laws and use reasonable care to ensure the safety of other road users. If an accident happens due to driver negligence, the victims can hold them liable for their injuries and damages. In most cases, truck accidents occur due to the negligence of parties like:
- Truck Driver:A truck driver can be at fault for accidents due to distracted driving, driving while under the influence of an intoxicating substance, fatigue driving, road rage, and other negligent actions. Though employers are responsible for the driver's conduct, the driver can be fully liable, especially if they're an independent contractor.
- Trucking Company: Trucking companies are responsible for ensuring that they follow all state and federal regulations for road safety, truck maintenance, proper loading, and working hours. If an accident occurs due to poor loading or truck maintenance, the trucking company can be liable for the accident and incur fines.
- Truck Owner: If the company used a leased truck, the owner could be liable mainly if the accident resulted from a lack of truck maintenance or insufficient repair and maintenance.
- Truck Manufacturer:Truck manufacturers can be liable for accidents due to a mechanical or equipment failure. This is because they have a duty of ensuring that every truck that they distribute is safe.
Damages to Claim in a Savannah Truck AccidentThe effects of a truck accident can be severe. Depending on the impact or the nature of the accident, you may be dealing with several losses and injuries. You can claim various damages, including:
- Past, current, and future medical bills - This includes medical-related expenses, such as ambulance costs, tests, prescription medications, surgeries, hospitalization, and doctor's appointments. Since trucks accidents can cause serious life-threatening or life-altering injuries, victims may need home nursing care and other medical needs.
- Loss of current and future income - You have a right to claim the wages you lose due to your injuries. If you cannot return to work in the same capacity due to your injuries, you have a right to claim loss of future income.
- Vehicle repair or replacement - This includes the cost of repairing the damages on your vehicle due to the accident or compensation for a totaled car.
- Pain and suffering - Dealing with accident injuries can be painful physically and emotionally. Victims also deserve to be compensated for the accident's physical, emotional, and mental effects.
- Disability - If you sustain a disability or lose a limb due to the accident, you have a right to claim compensation for the same. This includes the cost of modifying your home or vehicle to accommodate your disability.
- Rehabilitation and therapy - This covers the cost of physical rehabilitation and mental or psychological treatment to deal with trauma or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).