If you or a loved one is a victim of sexual abuse, you have a right to hold the attacker responsible for their actions. Since these cases are emotionally and legally draining, hiring our San Antonio sexual abuse lawyer may be ideal for learning your rights and legal options.
Sexual abuse can be traumatic for the victims, often causing lifelong effects. Though each sexual abuse case is different, all abuse victims have a right to hold a perpetrator accountable for the abuse.
The Role of Our San Antonio Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Sexual abuse cases are some of the most challenging to handle despite being some of the most rampant. According to Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN), one person in the U.S. is sexually assaulted every minute. Additionally, about 16% of women in the U.S. have undergone an attempted or completed rape.
Though the perpetrators of sexual abuse may be charged with a criminal offense, victims may have a right to file a claim or lawsuit to seek compensation for the emotional, financial, or mental damages. It may be best to connect with our San Antonio sexual abuse lawyer in your area to protect your rights.
Sexual abuse lawyers understand that abusers and other parties can be liable for the act, so they help victims of all types of sexual abuse and assault, including:
- Workplace abuse
- Child sexual abuse
- Youth organization abuse
- School sexual abuse
- Internet sex crimes
- Sexual harassment
- Clergy sexual abuse
- Elder and nursing home abuse
- Rideshare sexual assaults
Understanding Sexual Abuse
While sexual assault involves force and unwanted sexual penetration, sexual abuse can take several different forms, such as:
- Rape, including date rape
- Indecent exposure to minors
- Unwanted sexual touching
- Molesting and fondling minors
- Abuse by an intimate partner
- Displaying nude or pornographic images to minors
To prove a sexual abuse claim, lawyers consider various elements, such as the use of force or threat, lack of consent, and the authoritative position of the perpetrator. These elements help define the difference between sexual assault and sexual abuse.
One major characteristic of abuse is the misuse of position, authority, or power over a victim. Most of the common victims of these cases are the disabled, elderly, and children. However, regardless of their age or gender, anybody else can be a victim of sexual abuse. In most cases, the perpetrators use fear, threats, and other forms of psychological manipulation to intimidate or lure the victims.
Damages to Claim in a Bexar County, TX Sexual Abuse Case
Victims of sexual abuse can experience embarrassment, shame, and fear because of what they have gone through. These feelings can be more pronounced in vulnerable victims, such as children or teenagers, who may not know how to seek help immediately or are too afraid to get help.
Abuse causes serious psychological and emotional harm, and victims need medical and professional help to deal with the effects of the abuse. If you're a victim of sexual abuse, you have a right to claim damages such as:
- Medical Bills: If you sustain any physical injuries requiring hospitalization, you have a right to pursue compensation for the bills. This includes self-inflicted injuries because of the abuse.
- Prescription Medication: Conditions like anxiety, depression, and other disorders may require medication. If your therapy prescribes any medication to deal with the effects of the abuse, you can claim compensation.
- Therapy and Mental Care Costs: Sexual abuse victims experience various emotional and psychological effects that require professional interventions. This damage covers ongoing and future treatment for depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, suicidal thoughts, drug or substance abuse, or sleeping disorders.
- Pain and Suffering: Victims have a right to claim any physical, mental, and emotional distress. Since the effects of abuse can be overwhelming to deal with, sexual abuse lawyers ensure that victims get fully compensated.
Sexual abuse victims suffer prolonged trauma and need the help of professionals to deal with the effects of the ordeal. Your attorney will fight to ensure that the at-fault party or parties are held financially responsible for their actions.
Why Choose Us?
At Dolman Law Group, we'll work with experts to investigate the claim to ensure that all liable parties are held accountable for the damages and give you peace of mind.
While you recover from your traumatic experience, our team will do the following:
- Take care of all legal paperwork and processes and allow you to focus on your healing and safety
- Investigate the case and identify all liable parties, including any person who was aware of the abuse but failed to raise the alarm, causing further pain and suffering
- Help determine the value of your case and fight to ensure you get the compensation you deserve
- Negotiate with the at-fault party so that you don't have to face your abuser or any other liable party directly
- Pursue the claim or lawsuit for fair compensation, including economic and non-economic damages
- Work with relevant authorities to uphold your privacy and safety; in some cases, the identity of the victim and the case can remain confidential throughout the legal proceedings
Your lawyer will help you seek closure, ensure you get the right treatment or therapy, and get the justice you deserve. Depending on your case, your lawyer might also seek punitive damages to punish the at-fault party for their negligence.
Contact Dolman Law Group for Legal Help in San Antonio
If you or a loved one is a victim of child molestation or any sexual abuse in San Antonio, you may qualify to bring a civil claim or lawsuit against the at-fault party. It would be best to seek legal help to accomplish this task.
At Dolman Law Group, we'll review your case, investigate it, and help you get the compensation you deserve. Our team will provide friendly and professional advice on moving forward with a potential claim. Contact us for a free case review today to discover your legal options. We don't charge upfront fees and costs to handle your case.
San Antonio Office
921 S St Mary's St #2
San Antonio, TX 78205
Phone: (210) 361-2039