September 28 – October 5
Products are often recalled because there was a discovery of safety issues and product defects that might endanger the consumer or put the maker/seller at risk. Once these issues are either discovered by consumers or voluntarily recalled by the company supplying the defected product, the FDA and various other sources list products that the public must be aware of. To make things easier, the attorneys at Dolman Law have compiled a list of certain products to be aware of to keep you and your family safe.
Foods, Medicines and Cosmetics:
- Good ‘n’ Fun Beefhide Chicken Sticks by Salix Animal Health are being voluntarily recalled because of one lot of the dog treats having the potential of being contaminated with Salmonella. Salmonella can affect animals eating the product and there is a risk to humans from handling contaminated products. Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. No pet or consumer illnesses from this product have been reported to date. These treats were sold nationwide at Dollar Generals and Dollar Tree retail stores. The packaged product is in a 8 ounce bag stamped on the back side with lot #AO15010 and with an expiration date of 03/2018. You can reach this company at 1(800) 338-4896, Monday through Friday between 8:30 and 5:00 ET.
- Nature’s Eats and Southern Grove is voluntarily recalling their Natural Macadamia Nuts 6oz and Simply Raw Trail Mix 8oz respectively because of a possible health risk associated with Salmonella. Salmonella, as described in the previous recalled item, poses a risk to humans who consume it. It is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. No illnesses have been reported in relation to this product. These products were sold between 6/20/2015 and 9/9/2015. You can reach this company at 1(844) 571-5555, Monday through Friday between 8:30 and 5:30 CT.
- Sunkist is recalling their Frozen Mango Fruit Sorbet Bar because of an undeclared milk issue. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. Due to a manufacturing error, a small amount of dairy may have been mixed with the fruit bar mix. There have been no reports of injuries or reactions. The affected product has a date of “Best Before 2016 APR 27” and “Best Before 2016 APR 28”. You can reach this company at 1(800) 587-2259 between 8 and 5, Monday through Friday CT.
- Calphalon has recalled their Pizza Wheels due to a laceration hazard. The pizza cutter’s handle can detach during use, posing a laceration hazard. The cutter consists of a circular metal blade that is approximately 3 ½ inches in diameter, connected to a gray hand guard and black handle. The word “Calphalon” is embossed on the top of the black handle. Model number GT112, 1793513 or 1793521 are printed near the barcode on the packaging. The firm has received 11 incident reports including 6 reports of finger lacerations. One person required stitches and another person received medical attention to close their wounds. The product was sold at Bed Bath & Beyond, J.C. Penney, Kohls, Target and Walmart. You can reach this company at 1(800) 809-7267 from 8 to 5 ET, Monday through Friday.
- Bed Bath & Beyond’s Destination Summer private label is recalling their hammock stand due to a fall hazard. The z-shaped hooks attach the hammock to the hammock stand can bend or break, resulting in a consumer falling to the ground. Pride Family Brands is the firm that produced the product for Bed Bath & Beyond and has received 13 reports of the z-shaped hooks bending or breaking, resulting in consumers falling to the ground and injuring various body parts. The bronze-colored heavy gauge steel hammock stand with enamel finish measures 15 feet long by 3.5 feet wide by 4 feet high. It was sold nationwide at Bed Bath & Beyond stores from March 2014 through July 2015. You may contact this company at 1(800) 612-9800 from 9 to 4 ET, Monday through Friday.
- Wishbone Design Studio is recalling their recycles edition bikes due to injury hazard. The handlebar can pinch fingers places at the center where the handlebar connects to the bike frame. The bikes are made from recycles black plastic materials with 12-inch, air-filled white rubber tires. The date codes for production appear on a round dial on the front frame of the bike, directly under the seat. The date codes are either December 2013 or May 2014. The firm has received four reports of incidents, including two injuries. One required stitches and the other required restorative surgery. The bikes were sold at Independent toy and bike stores nationwide as well as online at Amazon from July 2014 through June 2015. You may reach this company at 1(888) 748-7453 from 8 am to 5 pm ET, Monday through Friday.
- Honda is recalling certain model year 2003 Odyssey vehicles manufactured August 28, 2002 to August 20, 2002. The affected vehicles were manufactured with air bag modules, preventing them from meeting the advanced air bag safety standards. These vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicles Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 208. Due to this, air bags that do not meet the safety requirements increase the risk of occupant injury in the event of a crash. Honda will notify owners, dealers will replace the passenger frontal air bag module, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 6, 2015. You may reach this company at 1(888) 234-2138.
- Honda is also recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Civic vehicles manufactured January 16, 2014 to November 6, 204 and 2015 Fit vehicles manufactured March 12, 2014 to May 12, 2015. The software setting that control the transmission operation may result in damage to the transmission drive pulley shaft. If the transmission drive pulley shaft is damaged, it may break, and the vehicle may lose acceleration or the front wheels may lock up while driving, increasing the risk of a crash. Honda will notify owners and dealers will update the software of the transmission, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 16, 2015. You may reach this company at 1(888) 234-2138.
- Toyota is recalling certain model year 2009-2012 RAV4 vehicles manufactured October 27, 2008 to December 19, 2012 and 2012-2014 RAV4 EV vehicles manufactured July 24, 2012 to August 29, 2014. In the affected vehicles, water may drip onto the joint that connects the wiper linage to the wiper motor. Over time, the dripping water may cause corrosion and water at the joint, potentially resulting in the separation of the wiper linkage. Once this occurs, the wipers would not function, reducing driver visibility and increasing the risk of a crash. Toyota will notify owners and dealer will replace the water diverter channel. This recall is expected to begin November 16, 2015. You can reach this company 1(800) 331-4331.
SPEAK WITH AN EXPERIENCED PRODUCT LIABILITY ATTORNEY IN THE CLEARWATER & TAMPA BAY AREA FOR FREE
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a product with a defect or faulty design and you’re in need of a helping hand, contact the experienced product liability attorneys of Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA today. We offer a free consultation and case evaluation to anyone and can help you recover the financial compensation you deserve after being injured by a product’s faulty nature. To get in touch, give us a call at (727) 451-6900.
Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33765