November 16 – November 23
Consumers have the right to know when a product is defective. There are many agencies that compile a list to improve public awareness and to also hold these companies liable for possible injuries. Often times, companies are unaware of these defects until it hits the mass market. Here at the Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we consult and evaluate claims of product defects and liability because it is the responsibility of a company to address any issues associated with the product. If they do not, or if they are found to be grossly negligent, our experienced professionals can help you receive the compensation you deserve. Please read the list of recent recalls to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones.
Foods, Medicines & Cosmetics:
- Fit Firm and Fabulous has issued a voluntary nationwide recall of Ultimate Herbal Slimcap capsules because of the presence of undeclared sibutramine. Sibutramine was a previously approved controlled substance that was removed from the U.S. market in October 2010 for safety reasons. This ingredient makes Ultimate Herbal Slimcap an unapproved drug for which safety and efficacy have not been established and therefore, subject to recall. FDA has found that previous products containing sibutramine pose a threat to consumers because sibutramine is known to substantially increase blood pressure and/or pulse rate in some patients and may present a significant risk for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias or stroke. These products may also interact in life threatening ways with other medications. However, the company has yet to receive any adverse events related to this recall. The affected supplement including the following lots 05/20/2015 to 05/01/2017. If you have questions, you may reach this company at (267) 721-5585, Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm ET.
- Ashdon Farms (Girl Scouts of the USA) has issues an allergy alert on Honey Mustard Pretzel Mix and Honey Mustard Mix. The company is alerting consumers that Honey Mustard Pretzel mix sold under the Girl Scouts of the USA brand and Honey Mustard Mix sold under the Ashdon Farms brand distributed to consumers on or before November 15, 2015 are being recalled because milk is not declared in the contains statement on the label. People with an allergic to milk should not consume these products due to the risk of serious or life threatening allergic reactions. The company is currently correcting their label at the distribution level so that all product distributed to consumers on or after November 16, 2015 will correctly declare the milk allergen. There is no code to identify the product by, however, boxes with the specific product associated with “Honey Mustard” must be avoided to avoid allergic reactions. You may call this company at (800) 274-3666.
- Custom Ultrasonics has been issued to recall all of its automated endoscope reprocessors (AERs) from health care facilities due to the firm’s continued violations of federal law and a consent decree entered with the company in 2007. The identified violations could result in an increased risk of infection transmission. The FDA ordered this recall under the terms of the consent decree. The agency also issued a safety communication today recommending that health care facilities currently using Custom Ultrasonics AERs transition away from their use to alternative methods to reprocess flexible endoscopes as soon as possible. These actions are part of the FDA’s commitment to patient safety and ongoing efforts to minimize the risk of patient infections associated with reprocessed endoscopes, including duodenoscopies and scope accessories. The FDA has been working with federal partners, manufacturers and other stakeholders to better understand the critical factors contributing to bacterial infections associated with duodenoscopies and how to best mitigate them. “We are taking action because Custom Ultrasonics failed to meet its legal and regulatory obligations,” said William Maisel, M.D., M.P.H., deputy director for science and chief scientist in the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health. “The FDA’s recall order stemmed from the company’s continued violations of federal law and the consent decree and is necessary to protect the public health.” The FDA’s most recent inspection of Custom Ultrasonic facility in April 2015 documented continued violations. Violations include the inability to validate that the AERs can adequately wash and disinfect endoscopes to mitigate the risk of patient infection. In the months following the inspection, the FDA provided the company with an opportunity to correct inspection violations and requested additional validation data. Following a review of the company’s submissions, the agency determined that Custom Ultrasonics has not adequately addressed its continued violations. If you have any questions regarding this recall, please email the FDA via its MedWatch.
- REI is voluntarily recalling their outdoor rocker chairs due to a fall hazard. These evrgrn Campfire Rocker Chairs can tip backwards while rocking, posing a fall hazard to the user. The collapsible rocking chairs were sold in blue, gray, green and orange fabric supported by four metal tubes and wooden rockers at the base and are intended for outdoor use. REI has received four reports of children who have tipped over in the rocker chairs while in the store, however, no injuries have been reported. Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled chairs and contact REI for a free replacement or a full refund. You can reach this company at (8000) 426-4840 from 4am to 11pm PT daily.
- Home Depot is still selling 28 different previously recalled products that have the potential hazards including fire, burn, shock, fails, lacerations, or other injuries depending on the product. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Home Depot are warning consumers that 28 different recalled products continued to be sold by Home Depot after they were recalled between 2012 and 2015. This involves about 2,310 unites of recalled products, including about 1,300 sold by Home Depot to consumers and 1,010 sent by Home Depot to salvagers or recyclers who could have sold them to consumers. Consumers should stop using the recall products immediately. There is a list of products mentioned in detail on the gov website. You may call Home Depot for any more questions at (800) 466- 3337 from 8am to 8pm Monday through Friday.
- Bostitch is recalling their brand’s electric pencil sharpeners because the electric components inside can energize the pencil sharpener, posing a shock hazard. This recall includes the Quietsharp Glow Classroom and Super Pro Commercial electric pencil sharpeners. The Quietsharp Glow Classroom sharpener has model number EPS11HC and date codes between 4714 and 3215. The Super Pro Glow Commercial has a model number EPS14HC and date codes between 1612 and 2715. Amax, the brand’s manufacturer has received one report of a consumer who received a shock from the recalled electric pencil sharpener. Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled electric pencil sharpeners, you may reach this company if you have any more questions at (844) 483-5895 between 8am and 5pm ET, Monday through Friday.
- Nissan North America (Nissan) is recalling certain model year 2015 Altima and 2016 Maxima vehicles manufactured October 6, 2015 to October 7, 2015. The affected vehicles have front brake calipers whose mounting bolts may not be properly tightened. If the bolts were not properly tightened, the caliper may detach and reduce the braking ability, increasing the risk of a crash. Nissan will notify owners, and dealers will check the brake caliper mounting bolts, tightening them as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in early December 2015. Owners may contact Nissan at (800) 647-7261.
- Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain model year 2014-2016 Kia Soul and Soul EV vehicles manufactured January 18, 2014 to September 30, 2015. In the affected vehicles, the adhesive used to secure the steering pinon gear to the steering gear assembly may have insufficient strength, and as a result, the pinion gear may separate from the steering gear assembly. If the pinion gear separates, there would be a loss of steering which could increase the risk of a crash. Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace the pinion plug that secures the pinion gear. Dealers will also install a set bolt for additional reinforcement. These repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall is expected to being December 22, 2015. Owners may contact Kia customer service at (800) 333-4542.
- Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain model 2011-2012 Sonata The brake pedal stopper pad can deteriorate allowing the brake light switch plunger to remain extended when the brake pedal is released. If the brake light switch plunger does not retract as it should when the brake pedal is not being pressed, the brake lights may stay illuminated preventing accurate communication to rearward following vehicles that the vehicle is slowing or stopping. Additionally, if the brake switch plunger is not retracted, then the transmission can be shifted out of PARK without depressing the brake pedal. Either condition increases the risk of a crash. Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will replace the brake pedal stopper pad with an improved part, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on January 11, 2016. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at (855) 671-3059.
SPEAK WITH AN EXPERIENCED PRODUCT LIABILITY ATTORNEY IN THE CLEARWATER & TAMPA BAY AREA FOR FREE
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a product with a defect or faulty design and you’re in need of a helping hand, contact the experienced product liability attorneys of Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA today. We offer a free consultation and case evaluation to anyone and can help you recover the financial compensation you deserve after being injured by a product’s faulty nature. To get in touch, give us a call at 727-451-6900.
Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33765