Trucking Accidents in Port St. Lucie
Did you suffer severe injuries in a truck collision on Florida’s Turnpike because a truck driver was not paying attention to the road? Unfortunately, accidents like these are more common than people expect, and the consequences are often catastrophic.
When devastating accidents occur because of the wrongful actions of another, you should not be responsible for the resulting financial hardship. Thankfully, with a Port St. Lucie truck accident attorney on your side from Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, you will not have to take on this legal fight by yourself.
Table of Contents
- About Dolman Law Group
- Common Causes of Trucking Accidents
- Local Dangers of Port St. Lucie
- Compensation Following a Port St. Lucie Trucking Accident
- Protecting Your Legal Rights After a Trucking Collision
- Contact a Port St. Lucie Trucking Accident Lawyer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Meet Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
At the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, our personal injury attorneys are known for getting results and providing our clients with the dedication and personal services they require. Our legal team can meet with you one-on-one to discuss your case and work directly with you to handle your claim while meeting your specific needs, including identifying the potential sources of compensation you can pursue.
Due to this hard work, dedication, and drive, we have helped countless individuals over the years and secured millions of dollars on their behalf through settlement negotiations and jury trial verdicts, including these recent awards:
- $3.85 million for a trucking collision that resulted in a brain injury
- $1.75 million for a semi-truck accident that resulted in shoulder surgery and mild brain trauma
- $3.2 million for a semi-truck collision that led to a brain injury
If you suffered harm in a Port St. Lucie trucking accident, contact our experienced legal team for a free consultation. Our lawyers can meet with you virtually or at one of our offices, conveniently located all over Florida. While we cannot guarantee results, we believe our track record is a key indicator of our experience and commitment to pursuing justice. Contact us today to see how we can help you with your claim.
Common Causes of Trucking Accidents in Port St. Lucie
While studies show that almost a third of all trucking collisions are due to truck driver error, in Port St. Lucie, other causes also contribute, including:
- Excessive speeding
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Intoxicated driving
- Inadequate training and truck maintenance
- An improper load
- Failing to yield
As a result, the best way to determine what caused your trucking collision and whether you have a valid legal claim is to reach out to a Port St. Lucie truck accident lawyer. These legal professionals can go over your accident with you in detail, investigate what happened, and help you figure out the legal options you can pursue.
Common Injuries Resulting From a Trucking Collision in Port St. Lucie
Unfortunately, the results are often tragic when it comes to trucking accidents. Most of these collisions result in debilitating trauma and even death.
While consequences are wide-ranging, these accidents often result in:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back and neck trauma
- Crushing injuries
- Facial injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
The Local Dangers of Port St. Lucie You Should Know About
Although trucking crashes can occur anywhere, in Port St. Lucie, some roads and intersections are more prone to them.
For instance, U.S. 1, which travels through the city, is considered one of the most dangerous highways in Florida. Worse yet, some of the riskiest intersections on this road are in St. Lucie County, including the U.S. 1 and Prima Vista Boulevard intersection, and U.S. 1 and West Midway Road, which is the second most dangerous spot in St. Lucie County.
Yet, these are not the only locations that cause problems for drivers.
Additionally, the following areas also rank high as some of the most dangerous roadways in Port St. Lucie:
- Okeechobee Road and Midway Road
- U.S. 1 and St. Lucie Boulevard
- Florida’s Turnpike.
If you suffered harm in a trucking collision in Port St. Lucie, it might be a good idea to work with a lawyer with experience handling these devastating accidents in this area. This local knowledge can provide you with the personalized legal help you need and assist you as you go after the compensation you deserve.
Running out of Time to File a Legal Claim
Another issue victims in a Port St. Lucie trucking accident need to keep track of is the statute of limitations. This law not only restricts how much time a person has to bring legal action following a trucking accident, but if individuals do not file their lawsuit within that time, they cannot obtain compensation for their harm and losses.
Trucking accident victims in Port St. Lucie only have four years from the date of their crash to pursue legal action against the wrongful parties. Depending on the accident’s circumstances, exceptions may apply to this rule that can impact this filing period.
For these reasons, following a trucking collision, it is often recommended that you reach out to a truck accident attorney, such as those from the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, as soon as possible. Our lawyers can promptly get to work, figuring out how much time you have to file your case and ensuring that your legal documents are prepared and submitted to the proper court before this statutory period expires.
Obtaining Compensation Following a Port St. Lucie Trucking Accident
Florida is one of the few states with no-fault insurance laws. According to these laws, you cannot pursue a lawsuit against another motorist, even if they entirely caused the accident. Rather, you must first turn to your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy to receive partial payment of your medical bills and lost income. PIP does not pay for non-economic damages or pain and suffering.
However, you may pursue a claim outside of this no-fault system if you suffered a serious injury.
In Florida, a serious injury:
- Results in permanent and significant loss of an important bodily function
- Results in a permanent injury within a reasonable degree of medical probability
- Results in permanent and significant scarring or disfigurement
If your injuries qualify under this definition, you may be able to pursue a legal claim against the wrongful party and go after full compensation for your injuries, including pain and suffering.
Port St. Lucie Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 833-552-7274
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Port St. Lucie, call 833-552-7274
The Damages You Can Pursue in a Truck Accident Lawsuit in Port St. Lucie
If you file a lawsuit following a Port St. Lucie trucking collision, you may be entitled to several categories of compensation. The two main categories of damages are as follows:
Economic damages are quantifiable losses that result from an accident.
- Medical bills related to hospitalization, doctor visits, surgeries, medications, medical devices, and emergency services
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- On-going medical care costs
- Replacement domestic services
- Personal property damages
- Other costs associated with the trucking collision
Non-economic damages are difficult to quantify though precedents help legal teams and courts calculate the appropriate compensation for them.
Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of fertility
Going Against the Insurance Company
If you sustained injuries in a truck collision, the insurance company will not make obtaining compensation easy. Although, in theory, insurance money is there to pay for lost income and medical treatments, in reality, the insurance company will often do everything to prevent you from getting the money you deserve.
Insurance companies, like other businesses, want to make a profit. As a result, by providing you less, the more money these companies make. That is why following an accident, such as a trucking collision, these companies will try to do everything they can to get you to take some of the blame for the accident or find something else that can hurt your case and impact the amount of money you receive.
For these reasons, before speaking to the insurance company after an accident, it may be a good idea to talk with a Port St. Lucie truck accident attorney. A lawyer can help you understand the deceitful practices the insurer may implement and help you avoid them by dealing with the insurance company on your behalf.
Protecting Your Legal Rights After a Trucking Collision
Following a Port St. Lucie trucking accident, medical care should be your top priority. This means if an ambulance did not take you to the hospital after a trucking collision, head to a doctor immediately. There are many serious injuries, such as brain trauma or spinal cord damage, where it can take symptoms sometimes days to appear. However, the longer you wait to get these conditions checked out, the more deadly they can become. That makes getting yourself examined after an accident critical.
In addition, an examination can help your legal claim, as the insurance company will look for any reason to deny your case. For instance, by not getting medical treatment, insurance companies will argue that your injuries are not that serious or resulted from a separate event. Fortunately, when you get to a doctor after your accident, these medical professionals can prepare a medical report, which your lawyer can use to prove the extent of your injuries and show a direct link between the truck collision and your trauma.
The Evidence That Can Help Your Attorney Fight for the Financial Recovery You Deserve
In addition, to the medical report, you also want to provide your attorney with any other helpful documents and evidence you gathered, including:
The police report
- Bills associated with the accident
- Photos and videos of the accident scene, such as your visible injuries, the vehicles involved in the accident, the damage to your car, and any other details that can help your claim
Your lawyer can use this evidence to prepare a solid legal case and go after the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact a Port St. Lucie Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one suffered significant harm in a Port St. Lucie trucking accident, do not wait to retain the legal help you need. Instead, contact the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, today at (727) 451-6900 for your free consultation. Let our skilled and knowledgeable attorneys review how we can help you fight for your rights and the financial recovery you deserve.
How Do You Know If You Can Pursue Legal Action Following a Port St. Lucie Trucking Collision?
To determine your legal options following a trucking collision, it may be a good idea to speak with our experienced Port St. Lucie truck accident attorneys, especially since determining whether you have a valid claim often requires answering these questions:
- Did the trucking collision result from another party’s negligent, reckless, or intentional actions?
- Did the trucking accident cause you to suffer injuries and losses?
- What was the extent and severity of these injuries?
- Do you have time to bring a legal claim following the truck accident?
- Is there insurance money available following the accident?
Due to these many unknowns, determining whether you can pursue legal action is not as simple as many people assume it will be. However, when you work with a Port St. Lucie truck accident attorney, like those from Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, you will not have to try to figure out this ordeal on your own. Rather, these attorneys can help you determine what options you have and even assist you as you go after the financial damages you deserve.
Do I Really Need a Lawyer to Pursue My Claim?
Yes. If you want a successful outcome that will appropriately compensate you for the pain, suffering, and financial hardship you have faced, yes, you need a lawyer. The legal system is full of complexities and obstacles that laymen cannot navigate alone. Lawyers spend many years studying, testing, and practicing before they can claim to have mastery over the legal system, and even then, they must stay up to date with new precedents and rulings that may affect how they build their future cases.
An experienced lawyer understands deadlines, timelines, exceptions, statutes, obstacles, and all the other intricacies that go into pursuing a legal claim. Additionally, they often have networks of expert witnesses, other lawyers, and evidence collectors that can result in even more robust cases that a non-lawyer would not have access to.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
We understand that stereotypes of prohibitively expensive lawyers drive many victims’ reluctance to seek legal counsel. However, retaining a personal injury lawyer won’t cost you anything unless your legal team achieves a successful outcome on your behalf. If you don’t get paid, neither does your lawyer. This contingent fee system ensures that everyone has access to legal representation, no matter their financial status. After your case evaluation, review our contingent fee contract. It outlines the fees you will pay if your lawyer recovers compensation for you.
How Much Is a Port St. Lucie Truck Accident Case Worth?
Another common question that many people want to know following a trucking accident is how much their claim is worth if they decide to pursue legal action after the collision. However, while an attorney can tell you what type of monetary damages you may be able to go after, they cannot tell you how much money you can obtain from this accident claim.
This is primarily because of the factors that can influence the value of the case, including:
- The type of injuries you sustained and the extent of these injuries
- The medical treatments you will require following this accident and into the future
- Whether the accident caused a permanent disability
- The ability to work following this accident
- The lost income that resulted from the crash
- Did you miss out on any significant milestones due to the accident
- The degree of the defendant’s culpability
- The credibility of the evidence presented
- The need for replacement services following the accident
- Whether you suffered disruptions in your normal activities due to the injuries
While an attorney cannot tell you exactly how much money you will receive following your trucking collision, they can investigate these factors, prepare the strongest legal case in response to them, and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Reach out to our knowledgeable Port St. Lucie truck accident attorneys as soon as possible to get the legal help you need.
Who Can You Hold Responsible for Your Injuries Following a Port St. Lucie Truck Accident?
You can hold numerous parties liable for a truck crash and your resulting injuries.
These wrongful parties frequently include:
- The Truck Driver: If the trucker was driving recklessly or negligently, and these actions caused your harm, you can hold them liable for the injuries and losses you endured.
- The Trucking Company: If the at-fault trucker was an employee of a trucking company, you can hold the business responsible for your accident and injuries. However, if the truck driver was an independent contractor, you might only hold the driver accountable for the collision.
- Other Wrongful Parties: Some other parties that can also be responsible for the accident include other motorists, motorcyclists, manufacturers and others in the distribution chain, and even governmental agencies responsible for road maintenance.
As you can see, figuring out fault following a trucking collision is not always easy, and determining which party you can hold responsible can take quite a bit of work. That is why following your trucking collision, you should reach out to a port St. Lucie truck accident attorney, like those at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA. These legal professionals can review your accident, figure out who was liable for your crash and help hold each party accountable for the harm you suffered.
Are Port St. Lucie Trucking Accident Claims Similar to Other Motor Vehicle Accident Claims?
Due to the weight and size of a truck, the injuries that result from these accidents are often much more severe than following a motor vehicle collision. Determining liability may also be much more complicated since many parties can be liable for a trucking collision other than the driver.
Larger commercial trucks often need higher insurance coverage. If you suffered harm in an accident, you might pursue more compensation for your injuries and losses.
However, because of these stark differences, trucking accident claims tend to be more complex. It is usually in your best interest to reach out to a Port St. Lucie truck accident attorney as soon as possible following your accident. Our lawyers can not only thoroughly review your crash and figure out what happened and who was at fault, but they can also help you fight for all the compensation you deserve.
How Long Does It Take for a Port St. Lucie Truck Accident Case to Resolve?
Another question that is often hard to get an exact answer to has to do with how quickly victims can get their trucking accident claim resolved. This question is not that easy to answer because too many factors can make it impossible for a lawyer to tell you exactly how long it will take to wrap up your claim.
Take, for instance, the following factors that can influence your settlement negotiations:
- The extent of your injuries
- The time it takes to see maximum medical improvement
- The time needed to thoroughly investigate the accident
- The interaction between the insurance company and whether they are willing to negotiate with you fairly
As a result, these cases can take anywhere from a few months to even years to resolve, especially if your lawyer takes your case to trial. Fortunately, when you work with a skilled legal team at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, no matter how long your legal case takes, we can stand by your side and fight for your rights every step of this process and go after all the monetary damages you deserve.
What Happens if You Lost a Family Member in a Port St. Lucie Trucking Accident?
Under Florida’s laws, a personal representative of the deceased’s estate may file a wrongful death claim when an entity or individual causes another person’s death by negligence, default, breach of contract or warranty, or a wrongful act. Personal representatives act on behalf of the decedent’s estate and any surviving family members.
If the wrongful death case succeeds, the court will order the defendant to compensate the plaintiffs for the death.
Plaintiffs may recover:
Damages Provided to the Deceased Individual’s Family
These damages generally include compensation for:
- The loss of services and support the decedent provided their loved ones
- The loss of the deceased’s protection and companionship
- Mental pain and suffering
- The loss of the deceased’s parental companionship, guidance, and instruction
- Funeral, burial, and medical costs paid for by the surviving family members
Damages Awarded to the Deceased’s Estate
Additionally, the decedent’s estate can also recover the following types of damages:
- The value of the decedent’s earnings and benefits they could have reasonably earned had they survived
- Lost benefits, income, and other earnings from the date of the injury to the decedent’s death
- Funeral, medical, and burial expenses were paid directly by the estate
Consequently, if you lost your family member in a Port St. Lucie trucking collision, reach out to a Port St. Lucie truck accident attorney as soon as possible. Let our lawyers determine if you qualify for a wrongful death lawsuit and what financial damages you can pursue.
Should You Speak With Witnesses and Other Drivers Following a Port St. Lucie Trucking Collision?
After a trucking accident, you should try to get information from those in the accident, including their names, phone numbers, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information.
In addition, if anyone saw the accident, get their names and phone numbers. These witnesses can often provide your lawyer with valuable details regarding the accident and provide testimony to help validate your claim.
However, as you talk to these individuals, watch what you say. The other side will look for anything they can use against you. As a result, statements such as “I’m sorry” or “it was my fault” can be used against you to hurt your claim.
How Can the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA Help You Fight For the Money You Need Following a Port St. Lucie Trucking Accident?
At Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we understand that trucking accidents can have catastrophic results, and no amount of money will ever help you forget the accident or take away the stress and the anger that it caused. However, we also know that obtaining just compensation for the harm and losses you sustained can give you peace of mind that justice has been served and help you start rebuilding your life after this tragic collision.
More importantly, with an experienced legal team on your side, you will not have to take on this challenging legal battle on your own.
Instead, when you hire our Port St. Lucie trucking accident attorneys, we can:
- Go over your trucking collision’s details, determine if your case is viable, and determine what legal options you should pursue.
- Answer your questions and concerns and provide you with the legal help you need during this difficult time.
- Investigate and analyze the accident and obtain the evidence needed to show what happened, who was at fault, and the extent of your trauma.
- Hire experts to substantiate your claim, including trucking accident specialists, financial specialists, and health care professionals.
- Take care of the settlement negotiations with the other side, including the insurance company, and fight for a settlement that covers all of your expenses, including past and future bills.
- Proceed to trial if the other side is unwilling to get you the money you need and fight for maximum compensation.