Florida’s treasure coast, with its ocean views and gorgeous weather, is an ideal spot for motorcyclists looking to go out for a ride. However, if you suffered harm in a motorcycle crash in this area, this ride can quickly go from a thrilling adventure to a dire situation, especially when the crash results in catastrophic injuries that impact your ability to live your life, take care of your family, and work.
Yet, if these accidents were due to another person’s wrongful actions, you should not be the one left handling these consequences. Instead, you should be able to go after compensation for the harm and losses you suffered.
With an experienced Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorney on your side from Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, you will not have to take on this legal fight by yourself. Instead, you can focus on your recovery while these legal professionals go after the justice you deserve.
Table of Contents
- About Dolman Law Group
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- What To Know About Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Collisions
- Compensation Following a Motorcycle Accident
- Taking Action After a Motorcycle Accident
- Contact a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Taking Action After a Motorcycle Accident
About Our Firm
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA., was created to help those harmed in an accident get the personalized attention they need and the aggressive legal representation they deserve. Today, the firm not only has met this goal, but because of our hard work and dedication, we have expanded to serve both Florida coasts and even help those hurt in an accident outside of the state.
While only past results and no guarantee of outcome in all cases, we have also secured millions of dollars for our clients through settlement negotiations and trial verdicts, including these recent judgments:
- $1,400,000 for a motorcycle accident resulting in multiple serious injuries
- $ 1,000,000 for a motorcycle collision that caused a traumatic brain injury
- $415,000 for a motorcycle collision that resulted in a cervical fusion
In addition, so our clients can meet with our Port St. Lucie legal team when they need to, we have made it a point to offer virtual consultations. Or, if you prefer to see us in person, you can stop by one of our conveniently located offices throughout Florida.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Port St. Lucie
Although a motorcycle crash can occur for many reasons, in Port St. Lucie, these collisions frequently result because of:
- Dangerous road conditions
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Motorists failing to stop at red lights or stop signs
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive driving
In addition, these accidents happen at intersections, when a motorist fails to recognize an oncoming motorcyclist as they are making a left-hand turn.
However, if you suffered harm in a motorcycle collision in Port St. Lucie, even if the cause of your crash is not indicated above, reach out to an experienced Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorney at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA., as soon as possible. These attorneys can review your accident, figure out whether you have a valid legal claim, and help you go after the compensation you deserve.
Common Injuries Resulting From a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident
Due to the limited protection that motorcyclists from an accident, catastrophic injuries tend to include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Neck and back trauma
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ damage
- Road rash
- Soft tissue injuries
- Wrongful death
What You Should Know About Port St. Lucie When It Comes to Motorcycle Collisions
Although motorcycle collisions can happen anywhere, in Port St. Lucie, these devastating accidents tend to occur more often on:
- U.S. 1 and Prima Vista Boulevard
- U.S. 1 and West Midway Road
- Okeechobee Road and Midway Road
- The one-mile stretch of Port St. Lucie Boulevard near Florida’s Turnpike
However, if you sustained severe injuries in a motorcycle accident in any of these locations, call a motorcycle accident attorney with experience handling these crashes and has the local knowledge to go after the justice and financial damages you deserve.
The Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA’s our award-winning trial attorneys not only have the skills to take on these complex claims, but we have also successfully argued many of these challenging cases in courtrooms all over Florida. We know what it takes to handle your Port St. Lucie motorcycle collision claim and fight for the maximum compensation you need.
The Statute of Limitations Following a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident
After a motorcycle accident, another local issue victims should stay aware of is the statute of limitations. If they fail to submit their case within this deadline, they cannot pursue compensation for their harm and losses.
In Port St. Lucie, this means motorcycle accident victims only have four years from the date of their accident to pursue this legal suit. However, some exceptions apply to the rule.
For these reasons, following a collision, work with a Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorney, who can confirm exactly how much time you have to file your case and file all your motions, legal files, and documents before this time runs out.
Obtaining Compensation Following a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident
According to insurance laws in Florida, a motorcycle accident victim will only be able to pursue damages from a third party following a motorcycle crash if they have a qualifying “serious injury” or if they have passed the $10,000 threshold. However, because of the severity of most motorcycle collisions, you may meet this threshold relatively quickly.
As a result, if you can pursue a lawsuit against the wrongful party after your motorcycle crash, you may obtain economic and non-economic compensation, such as:
- Past and present medical bills related to hospitalization, medical prescriptions, doctor visits, assistive medical devices, emergency services such as ambulance rides, and other medical treatment
- Lost wages and reduced earning capacity
- Future ongoing medical treatment costs
- Personal property damages, such as replacement or repair expenses
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Inconvenience due to the injuries sustained from the accident
- Reputation loss
Yet, because these damages include both easy-to-verify and hard-to-prove losses, obtaining these monetary damages can be challenging. However, working with a knowledgeable Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorney can help you with this process. These lawyers can not only figure out which of these damages you can pursue, but they can also prepare the strongest legal case on your behalf and fight for the financial recovery you are entitled to
Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 833-552-7274
Never Deal With the Insurance Company by Yourself
Following a motorcycle accident, many victims assume that the insurance company will try to help them secure the money they need to help them cover their medical costs and lost wages due to their accident.
Unfortunately, this is not how these companies operate. Like other businesses, these insurance companies want to make a profit. And by offering you less money following your accident, the more profit they end up making. That is why insurance adjusters will do everything to get you to admit fault for the incident, including getting you on the phone shortly after your crash, hoping you say something that hurts your case, and ultimately the amount of money you receive.
For these reasons, before you speak to the insurance company or provide them with a statement, you should discuss your case with a Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorney at the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA. Our legal professionals can help you understand these insurance companies and the deceitful practices they may try on you.
More importantly, our attorneys can also take over these discussions for you, making sure you do not do or say anything that can hurt your chance of securing all the money you need.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accidents lawyer serving Port St. Lucie, call 833-552-7274
Taking Action After a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident
While taking any action following a motorcycle accident may be the last thing on your mind, it is still important to point out that the things you do after this terrifying crash can not only affect your health and safety but the outcome of your legal claim. As a result, following this crash, it may be a good idea to consider the following steps:
Call the Authorities
After a motorcycle accident, you should call 911 immediately. This is the quickest way to alert everyone of your accident, including the police and emergency medical personnel, and get it on record. After the police arrive and perform their preliminary investigation, they can write down their findings in their police report, which can provide your attorney with valuable information that can help your case.
Get to a Doctor Immediately
Make getting medical treatment following this accident your priority. In the rare situation where an ambulance does not take you to the hospital after your accident, get to a doctor right away. Health care professionals can not only provide you the care you need and ensure you do not have any hidden, serious injuries such as a traumatic brain injury, but they can also help your legal claim.
For instance, after you get treated, the doctor will prepare a medical report that will detail the extent of your injuries and link them to your motorcycle crash. Your lawyer can then use this evidence to fight for the maximum monetary damages you deserve.
However, make sure you also stick to the treatment plans that your doctor sets for you. Otherwise, the insurance company may argue that your injuries are not as severe as you claim them to be.
If you can, collect as much evidence from the accident scene as possible, including photos and videos of:
- Your visible injuries
- The vehicles involved in the crash
- The damage to your bike
- The placement of these vehicles on the road
- Skid marks
- Road defects, including potholes
- Traffic signals and signs near the area
- The weather conditions at the time of the accident
- Any other things that can help show what happened
However, if you are can’t gather this evidence because of your injuries, do not stress about it. Once you retain an experienced legal counsel, these attorneys can take on this investigation process for you and work on gathering this valuable evidence.
Talk to Witnesses
If there were people at the crash scene, you should try to get their names and phone numbers. These individuals can often provide your attorney with helpful details regarding your accident and even offer testimony that can help validate your claim.
Get Evidence to Your Attorney
When you meet up with your attorney, you will want to bring all the evidence you gathered with you, including:
- The medical and police report
- The photos and videos you got of the accident
- The bills associated with the accident
Your attorney can use this evidence to prepare a strong legal case, prove what happened, and go after the financial damages you deserve.
Contact a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If a Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident rattled your life, do not deal with the devastating repercussions on your own. Instead, contact Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, today at 833-552-7274 (833-55-CRASH) for your free case consultation and find out how our skilled legal team can help you fight for your rights and the justice you deserve.
1. How Much Is a St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident Case Worth?
One of the most common questions victims of a motorcycle accident have is how much is their case worth and how much money they can receive following their accident. Unfortunately, the answer to this question is not as straightforward as many people hope. In truth, there is no way to know exactly how much a motorcycle accident is worth because of the many factors that can affect this value and, ultimately, the amount of money a victim can receive for their injuries and losses.
Take, for instance:
- The type of injuries that resulted and the severity of these injuries
- The prognosis of these injuries
- Whether the injury led to a permanent disability
- The medical treatments needed now and in the future
- The ability to work following the accident
- The lost income that when you could not work following the accident
- The extent of the pain and suffering
- The wrongful party’s culpability
- The credibility of the evidence and witnesses presented
- The damages to the motorcycle
- The ability to take part in everyday activities without help
However, while an attorney cannot provide you with an exact answer to this question, when you work with an experienced Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorney at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we can review each factor, prepare the strongest arguments in response them, and go after the maximum compensation you need.
2. How Do You Know If You Have a Viable Legal Case Following a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident?
Unfortunately, just because you sustained injuries in a motorcycle collision, it does not mean you will automatically be able to pursue legal action against the wrongful party to go after compensation for the harm and losses you endured.
Typically, you will first have to review several factors to determine if you have a viable legal case:
- Were you harmed in the motorcycle collision in Port St. Lucie?
- Were the injuries severe?
- Did the injuries require extensive medical treatment?
- Is there insurance money available following this accident?
- Do you still have time to file a lawsuit following the accident? Or did the statute of limitations pass?
Due to these complex factors, if you want to know your legal options following a Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident, it may be best to discuss your case with a knowledgeable Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorney. These lawyers can not only review the facts of your accident and determine if you have a viable claim, but they can also help you understand your next steps.
3. How Do You Figure out Who You Can Hold Accountable for Your Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident?
While unfair, one of the most common issues motorcyclists have to deal with after an accident is the biased perception people have against them following a crash, primarily since many tend to believe that the motorcyclist is usually responsible for their accident.
However, in reality, this is often not the case, and there are often several parties that can be held liable for the crash and the resulting injuries, including:
- The Motor Vehicle Driver: When a motorist violates the rules of the road and causes a motorcycle accident, they can be held liable for the motorcyclists resulting injuries and damages.
- Manufacturers: If a motorcycle accident results from a defective motorcycle or parts, the manufacturer of this bike or faulty components can be held responsible for the accident and the subsequent injuries. In addition, other parties in the distribution chain, such as the designers and distributors, may also be held accountable for the damages.
- Government Agencies If a motorcycle collision results from faulty road designs or poorly maintained streets, you can hold the government agency responsible for maintaining or designing these roads accountable.
As you can see, figuring out who was responsible for your accident while dealing with these unfair judgments can be complicated and stressful, especially as you are dealing with significant injuries.
That is why, following your Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident, you should reach out to an experienced Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident lawyer, like those at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, as soon as possible. These attorneys can not only investigate your accident and determine who was responsible for the collision and your injuries.
But, more importantly, they can also help you hold all the parties liable for the accident accountable for your harm and damages, ensuring they go after maximum compensation.
4. If the Insurance Company Offers You a Settlement Amount Following Your Motorcycle Accident, Should You Accept It?
As discussed previously, the insurance company’s job is not to help you get the money you deserve. That is why when the insurance company offers you money, it may not be in your best interest to accept it. In fact, these insurance companies will often try to provide you a settlement amount shortly after your accident in hopes that in your vulnerable state, you do not verify whether this amount is fair to you or reach out to an experienced attorney to discuss your options.
However, what often ends up happening in these situations is the amount that the insurance offers is so meager that it will typically barely cover any of your current losses, let alone your future expenses. Worse yet, if you accept this amount and discover down the road that the settlement is not enough to cover all of your bills, you cannot return to the insurance company and ask for more.
For these reasons, before accepting anything from the insurance company, you should reach out to an experienced Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident lawyer at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA. Once hired, our legal team can review your settlement offer and figure out if it is fair to you. If we discover that it is not enough money to cover all of your losses, we can head back to the negotiation table with the insurance company and fight an amount that does.
5. How Long Does It Take to Settle a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident Claim?
There are no rules or formulas when it comes to figuring out how long it will take for an accident claim to settle. Therefore, even though a motorcycle accident attorney can give you a general idea of how long your case may take to resolve and what this process may entail, they can not tell you precisely what will happen.
This is often because of everything that can affect this legal process and the timing of your case, including:
The Injuries Involved
In general, the more serious the injuries, the higher the claim’s payout may be. Consequently, it is more likely that the insurance company may try to complicate the matter, extending the investigation process, so you do not hold off settling until you get all the money you need.
The Medical Improvements
You should not seek a settlement until you have reached maximum medical improvements since this can help your attorney verify how much money you will need now and in the future regarding your treatments.
The Insurance Company
The insurance company’s stall tactics and willingness to help you get the money you need following an accident is also a significant contributing factor to the time it takes to settle your case. For instance, if the insurance company decides to play games and not get you the money you need, your lawyer may choose to take your case to trial, which can take anywhere from months to years to resolve.
Our skilled Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorneys can help you understand the legal process involved with your claim, walk you through what you can expect from start to finish, and help you fight for the financial recovery you deserve, no matter how long it takes.
6. How Can the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA Help You Following a Port St. Lucie Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycle accidents can quickly change your life, leaving you with excruciating pain, devastating trauma, and a life forever turned upside down. The last thing you want to do in these instances is work on preparing legal arguments and securing evidence to prove your legal claim.
When you work with an experienced Port St. Lucie motorcycle accident attorney from Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, you will not have to do any heavy legal lifting. Instead, you can focus on healing and getting better while these legal professionals take on this legal fight on your behalf.
Once retained, our lawyers can:
- Go over the circumstances of your motorcycle collision in detail, determine whether you can pursue a legal case, and help you figure out your legal options.
- Discuss your specific concerns and questions regarding the legal process.
- Analyze your accident and obtain the evidence necessary to show what happened, who was at fault, and the extent of the damages you suffered.
- Hire experts to prove your case, including engineers, accident reconstructionists, economists, health care professionals, and others.
- Handle all the negotiations with the other side and go after the settlement offer that covers your needs.
- Proceed to trial if the other side is unwilling to work with you and fight tirelessly to bring a successful resolution to your case and get you the money you deserve.