New Port Richey Back & Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
Each year, about 8,000 new spinal cord injuries are diagnosed. More than 80 percent of the victims are men between the ages of 16 and 30. As many as 450,000 Americans live with spinal cord injuries. Car and motorcycle crashes, gunshot and knife wounds, and falls and sports injuries are the most common causes of damage to the spinal cord, the bundle of nerves that runs through the backbone.
Types of New Port Richey Back Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are the most catastrophic and life-changing types of back injuries. When the spinal cord is injured, the result is usually partial or total paralysis below the point of the injury. When the injury is to the lower part of the spine, the victim loses the use of their legs and the entire lower portion of their body. If the damage to the spinal cord is in the upper body or neck, the paralysis affects all four limbs.
- Fractures: A broken back is an injury in which the vertebrae are fractured or dislocated, often as the result of a motor vehicle accident or fall.
- Herniated Discs: A herniated disc, also known as a slipped disc or ruptured disc in an injury that can occur in a car accident, especially a rear-end collision, as well as in a fall, sports accident or other type of accident.
- Nerve pain: Trauma to the back can often cause numbness and tingling throughout other extremities, which is known as radiculopathy. This is pain that radiates from the nerves and travels throughout the arms, hands, legs, and feet.
Effects of a New Port Richey Spinal Cord Injury
Generally, the higher the injury is along the backbone, the more sensation and movement someone will lose or diminish. An injury at the neck level may cause paralysis in all extremities, while an injury at the mid-back level may affect only the legs and lower parts of the body. A complete injury results in a total loss of sensation and movement below the level of injury. An incomplete injury results in only partial loss of sensation or movement. Often someone who has suffered a spinal cord injury has many difficulties including:
- Blood clots
- Loss of sensation and reflex functions
- Motor skill deficit
- Pain and depression
- Permanent disability
- Loss of movement
- Nerve damage
- Trouble breathing
New Port Richey Back and Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
Each type of back and spinal injury requires a different legal based on the cause of the accident and the nature and extent of the injuries. If you or a loved one has suffered a back or spinal cord injury in an accident, call our New Port Richey office today at 727-853-6275.