In a metro like Jacksonville, accidents happen every day, some resulting in serious injuries like traumatic brain injury (TBI). At Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA (Sibley Dolman), we have seen the tragic impacts of TBI over and again. The lives of TBI victims, as well as their caretakers and loved ones, are forever changed. While Jacksonville TBI victims who were injured due to the wrongdoing of another might have to learn to live with their condition, they shouldn’t have to pay for it. It is the mission of Sibley Dolman Gipe to fight for the rights of our clients and help them recover the compensation they deserve.
Sibley Dolman Gets Results for TBI Accident Victims
Sibley Dolman has a proud history of helping victims of TBI accidents recover the compensation they need to handle the financial fallout and other impacts of their injury.
Our successes on behalf of TBI accident victims include:
- $3.85 million recovery of compensation for the victim of a truck accident that resulted in spinal cord and TBI injuries
- $3.2 million settlement for a victim of a semi-truck accident resulting in TBI.
- $1.75 million lawsuit recovery for a victim of a truck accident resulting in shoulder injuries and a traumatic brain injury
While past results cannot guarantee the outcome of your case, you can be assured when you hire Sibley Dolman, we know what it takes to build a TBI case and will apply our knowledge and experience to tirelessly pursue the compensation you deserve.
How Can a Jacksonville TBI Injury Happen?
There are many ways in which an individual can suffer TBI. For many, a violent vehicle crash that puts extreme force on the head might be the first kind of accident that comes to mind. In reality, it does not take such excessive force to cause TBI. While severe accidents may be more likely to result in TBI, even seemingly mild accidents can result in this serious injury.
The CDC reports that about 165 people die each day across the U.S. from TBI. TBI constitutes 30 percent of injury-related fatalities and individuals that suffer permanent disabilities after an accident.
Common scenarios leading to TBI include:
- Traffic-related accidents – the violent force of a motor vehicle can cause your head to impact nearby objects, a windshield, or another vehicle occupant. TBI can occur from direct blows to the head or from the violent shaking and jolting that both tend to occur in vehicle collisions.
- Sports injuries – Awareness of traumatic TBI in sports has risen in recent years, but it is still a pervasive problem in not only professional sports but also amateur and youth organized athletics. Most sports carry a risk of falls that may cause TBI, but contact sports in particular drastically increase the likelihood of a TBI given the physical impacts between players, some of which are head-to-head.
- Slip and fall accidents – Even a slip and fall can deliver an impact or blow to the head sufficient to cause TBI. Elderly victims are most susceptible to the life-threatening complications of TBI due to a slip and fall.
- Medical malpractice – TBI can occur in the medical care context due to medical negligence. Lack of oxygen during anesthesia or medical procedures can result in TBIs in patients.
Warning Signs and Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
While most severe accident injuries are immediately visible or become apparent in the hours after an accident, traumatic brain injuries do not always progress in this manner. It is not uncommon for a TBI accident victim to initially overlook or set aside signs of TBI as their focus is on other, more visible injuries or harm. Some may even believe they are fine after an accident, only to discover new head pain, discomfort, or cognitive difficulties in the days that follow.
TBI is serious and can be life-threatening. Any forceful accident can cause a violent shock to the brain that can result in injury. Even an accident that does not appear to have a catastrophic impact can cause TBI. A slip and fall, any hit to the head, or a fender bender can all result in serious injuries to the brain of a victim. If, at any time, there is an indication that you may have sustained an injury to your brain, you must seek immediate medical attention and have a medical professional evaluate you for TBI. Delays in diagnosis and medical care could result in worse health outcomes.
If you are in an accident and feel you may have an injury to your brain, look out for the following signs and symptoms of TBI:
- Vision problems
- Ringing in ears
- Frequent headaches
- Coordination difficulties
- Weakness in extremities
- Excess fatigue
- Vertigo and other balance issues
- Memory issues
- Difficulties focusing and confusion
- Mood disorders
- Feelings of sadness or depression
Liability for Jacksonville TBI Accidents
A Jacksonville TBI accident is likely to be caused by someone else’s negligence. The actions or inaction of a party that fails to exercise the level of care expected of them in their given role can lead to a TBI-causing accident and suffering and losses that you may never fully recover from. While there is no way to take away the health consequences of TBI, there is a way to seek justice against the parties responsible and fight for compensation for your injuries and losses that can help you find a path forward.
Liability for the impacts and expenses you incur after a Jacksonville TBI accident can fall on several parties that may have a hand in the events leading up to your injury. In many cases, fault and liability after an accident may be apparent. In others, it may take some time and research by your attorney to discover all parties that may be liable to you for your losses. After taking a closer look at the facts of your case and investigation, you could find you can hold multiple parties at fault for your TBI injury.
Examples of parties that could owe you money after a Jacksonville TBI accident include:
- Another private individual (e.g. another driver on the road)
- Business or organization
- Property owner
- Manufacturer of a defective or dangerous product
- A healthcare professional
Factors Affecting Compensation in a Jacksonville TBI Accident Claim
The amount of compensation you can recover after a Jacksonville TBI accident will depend on various factors, such as the severity of your injury and associated medical expenses, the likelihood for full recovery, and the impacts the TBI has on your life currently and that are expected in your future.
At-fault parties and their insurers that come to the settlement discussion table want to make a quick settlement and close your case as soon as possible. However, TBI can have significant, long-term impacts, and you need time to fully understand the ramifications of the injury to you. TBI can develop slowly and the manifestations of these types of injuries can change and evolve.
It is critical not to accept a settlement offer too quickly after an accident in which you sustain a TBI. First off, when insurance companies are quick to offer payouts, it is usually the case that the amount they are offering is well below what you actually deserve. Insurance companies want to close out TBI cases quickly because they know how expensive they can become if the full ramifications of the injury come out.
Compensation in a Jacksonville TBI claim or lawsuit can include:
- Medical costs – The costs of medical treatment and care for TBI begin in thousands of dollars and can reach millions throughout your lifetime. These injuries often require hospitalization in the immediate aftermath of the accident and may require long-term rehabilitation, therapy, and in-home care to assist a victim in rebuilding their lives and adapting to their new challenges. When recovery is possible and likely, the medical costs will stabilize but for those who have little to no chance of significant recovery, the medical costs for treatment, care, and living assistance often remain high throughout their lifetime.
- Income losses – TBI can have a significant effect on your ability to function as you once did. Victims may expect to lose hours of work in the immediate days and weeks after an accident, but might not grasp the full level of impairment to their ability to work going into the future. TBI victims can find it difficult, if not impossible, to find work that can accommodate their injury after a TBI accident. You can seek compensation not only for the work pay you have already lost while in recovery from TBI, but also anticipated future pay losses and loss of income potential.
- Pain and suffering and other life impacts – A TBI accident can leave a victim in great pain, especially immediately after the accident. Some victims may develop chronic pain due to their injuries, which may continue for months, years, or a lifetime. A common struggle for TBI victims is the suffering that comes with the recovery and after-effects of the injury. You might feel the loss of your old self. What once was a routine task can become a difficult challenge that you may be unable to meet. You may lose independence and have to rely on others to care for you and meet your basic needs. Your quality and enjoyment of life and your personal relationships can suffer due to the injuries you endure.
Insurers Will Fight a TBI Diagnosis
Insurance companies often fight TBI claims in whatever way they can, including fighting the diagnosis of the condition. Insurance companies realize the implications and extensive expenses that come along with TBI. They do not want to pay out the full amount that it will take for a victim to deal with TBI and will use whatever they can to downplay your injury or otherwise find a way to deny or reduce your claim.
Research finds that treatment of TBI ranges between $85,000 to $3,000,000 throughout a victim’s lifetime. That staggering range reveals just how costly TBI can be for a victim and why insurance companies try to downplay TBI injuries. Additionally, these estimates are only considering the cost of medical care. Income losses, pain and suffering, and other damages can add a considerable amount to the cost of a TBI injury.
Sibley Dolman understands the severe difficulties and suffering TBI victims face, and we aren’t afraid to push back on insurance companies who try to argue otherwise. The recovery for a TBI is long and in some cases the relief you are awaiting never fully comes. You should not have to bear the brunt of the losses and damages after someone else’s negligence causes you such a tragic injury.
How Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA Can Help You Fight Back
If you are the victim of a Jacksonville TBI accident, take action as soon as possible to protect your rights. You or a family member on your behalf must contact one of our Jacksonville TBI lawyers. We can provide you with the guidance and representation necessary to proceed with a TBI claim or lawsuit against the parties responsible for your injuries.
With our team’s experience and knowledge, Sibley Dolman can help you prepare your Jacksonville TBI claim. Contact us today online, or by calling (904) 441-6903 to get started on pursuing the compensation you serve for your TBI expenses and losses.
12574 Flagler Center Blvd.;
Jacksonville, FL 32258
Phone: (904) 441-6903
“AMAZING and understanding attorneys! Did great on my case and I highly recommend Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA for anyone that has been injured in an accident!”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!