A dog’s loyal and obedient nature have earned them the title “man’s best friend,” and rightly so due to the role they can play in a family’s life. It is difficult to find a person in the United States who has never once owned a dog as pet. However friendly and charming dogs can be, it is important to remember that they are still animals, and even the most well-trained and obedient dogs can revert back to their primal instincts. When this happens, they can attack humans and end up severely injuring them with a bite or maul. Not only will the victim of a vicious dog attack suffer physical injuries, they also can become permanently traumatized and suffer from such conditions as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). When attacked by the dog, make sure to follow the following steps to ensure a proper recovery:
- Make sure to attend to any wounds. Dog bites can be easily infected, no matter how large or small the wound.
- After you take care of any wounds, make sure to contact the authorities. If the dog was a stray and on a run, there is a chance it can attack others or have rabies. If attacked by a dog owned by someone you know, or a stranger’s dog, how you handle the situation is up to both parties. However, if you were injured, you may want to take legal action, as many states have laws that hold the owners responsible for their dog’s actions.
- Go visit a medical professional soon as possible. This is crucial due to the risk of rabies. If the dog was unknown, appeared to be foaming at the mouth, or acting erratically, there is a good chance it had rabies and treatment needs to be started immediately. If you haven’t had a tetanus shot in the last 5 years, you may also need to receive one of those as well.
- After the physical treatment for dog victims is completed, it will be important to monitor them for their mental trauma. In order to determine if you or a loved one is suffering from PTSD after being attacked by a dog, look for these signs:
- Night terrors or nightmares
- Serious anxiety
- Emotional unresponsiveness
- Avoidance of other people or social activities
- Physical manifestations like headaches or insomnia
CONTACT CLEARWATER DOG BITE ATTORNEYS DOLMAN LAW GROUP
Not only can dog bites physically harm an individual, they can also emotionally ruin a victim as well, taking away their love of dogs and replacing it with fear. If you, a loved one, or someone you know has suffered a dog bite and are emotionally and/or physically scarred, it is important to contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible. The state of Florida holds dog owners responsible for their pet’s actions, and you may be eligible for compensation for the damages suffered.
Contact the experienced dog bite attorneys at Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA today for a free and private consultation on your dog attack case. At Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, we will aggressively fight for the compensation you deserve.
Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33765